Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single reason why Blade & Soul will fail in the west

Comments

• wohastwohast Member Posts: 3
    BNS will fail in the west if they dont launch with gear normalization in the end game arena.  getting one shot and/or one shotting someone is not fun.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Let me shed a little light on all of you naysayers.  In BnS it is not necessary to have BiS gear to have fun.  You can actually have fun while you're working toward that BiS gear.  It's a fun game.  Play it.  Have fun and stop worrying about how long its going to take you to get that BiS gear.  Is it hard to get BiS gear?  Yes it is.  But get this, everyone else is going to have just as hard a time getting BiS gear as you are.  The point of this game isn't to grind to get BiS gear before you can start having fun.  It is to have fun while you are on your journey to getting that BiS gear.  Again, I know its hard for some of you to believe, but it is possible to have fun in a game without having top level gear.  This mindset in the west that gamers must rush to end game and get top level gear before they can start having fun is disappointing.  What's even more disappointing is that most of you call yourself hard core and then when systems such as these are put in games, you cry from here to high heaven that the game is too hard until they nerf them, and then the crying starts about how everything is so easy now and vanilla was the sh!t..  Hey NA gamers!  Stop being spoiled, immediate gratification, whiners.   You are embarrassing us and giving us a bad name.  Stop it!

• wohastwohast Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

Let me shed a little light on all of you naysayers.  In BnS it is not necessary to have BiS gear to have fun.  You can actually have fun while you're working toward that BiS gear.  It's a fun game.  Play it.  Have fun and stop worrying about how long its going to take you to get that BiS gear.  Is it hard to get BiS gear?  Yes it is.  But get this, everyone else is going to have just as hard a time getting BiS gear as you are.  The point of this game isn't to grind to get BiS gear before you can start having fun.  It is to have fun while you are on your journey to getting that BiS gear.  Again, I know its hard for some of you to believe, but it is possible to start having fun in a game without having top level gear.  This mindset in the west that gamers must rush to end game and get top level gear before they can start having fun is disappointing.  What's even more disappointing is that most of you call yourself hard core and then when systems such as these are put in games, you cry from here to high heaven that the game is too hard.  Hey NA gamers!  Stop being spoiled, immediate gratification, whiners.   You are embarrassing us and giving us a bad name.  Stop it!

so why is it then that CN/KR/JP etc etc are getting gear normalization in arena?  apparently, its not just NA people that complain lol.  try again

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by wohast

Let me shed a little light on all of you naysayers.  In BnS it is not necessary to have BiS gear to have fun.  You can actually have fun while you're working toward that BiS gear.  It's a fun game.  Play it.  Have fun and stop worrying about how long its going to take you to get that BiS gear.  Is it hard to get BiS gear?  Yes it is.  But get this, everyone else is going to have just as hard a time getting BiS gear as you are.  The point of this game isn't to grind to get BiS gear before you can start having fun.  It is to have fun while you are on your journey to getting that BiS gear.  Again, I know its hard for some of you to believe, but it is possible to start having fun in a game without having top level gear.  This mindset in the west that gamers must rush to end game and get top level gear before they can start having fun is disappointing.  What's even more disappointing is that most of you call yourself hard core and then when systems such as these are put in games, you cry from here to high heaven that the game is too hard.  Hey NA gamers!  Stop being spoiled, immediate gratification, whiners.   You are embarrassing us and giving us a bad name.  Stop it!

so why is it then that CN/KR/JP etc etc are getting gear normalization in arena?  apparently, its not just NA people that complain lol.  try again

I never said they never complain over there.  That would be a silly statement.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Would suck if RNG-crafting/upgrading would be a thing... look how fucked up it workedf out to be in Archeage. Horrible fucking crafting system
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • Chupacabra7779Chupacabra7779 Member Posts: 6
    I have to agree with you, this evolution system is not going to work. I also think you are right you will have a huge surge of people in the beginning but will soon fade. This game I understand is already 3 years old. It already is going to be FTP so I will try it at least.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Millions of people play RNG with poor odds all the time and love it. The Lotto is very popular.

What it really boils down to is that some people with entitlement issues may feel that they put out a minimal amount of effort and therefore deserve to have the best available. These people won't enjoy the game. 

Other people don't have the same hang-ups, and have a much better chance at enjoying the game.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Millions of people play RNG with poor odds all the time and love it. The Lotto is very popular.

What it really boils down to is that some people with entitlement issues may feel that they put out a minimal amount of effort and therefore deserve to have the best available. These people won't enjoy the game. 

Other people don't have the same hang-ups, and have a much better chance at enjoying the game.

I suppose in way you're right, this thread is about entitlement.  For some reason people have this idea that they're entitled to not play games with features they don't like. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Let me shed a little light on all of you naysayers.  In BnS it is not necessary to have BiS gear to have fun.  You can actually have fun while you're working toward that BiS gear.  It's a fun game.  Play it.  Have fun and stop worrying about how long its going to take you to get that BiS gear.  Is it hard to get BiS gear?  Yes it is.  But get this, everyone else is going to have just as hard a time getting BiS gear as you are.  The point of this game isn't to grind to get BiS gear before you can start having fun.  It is to have fun while you are on your journey to getting that BiS gear.  Again, I know its hard for some of you to believe, but it is possible to have fun in a game without having top level gear.  This mindset in the west that gamers must rush to end game and get top level gear before they can start having fun is disappointing.  What's even more disappointing is that most of you call yourself hard core and then when systems such as these are put in games, you cry from here to high heaven that the game is too hard until they nerf them, and then the crying starts about how everything is so easy now and vanilla was the sh!t..  Hey NA gamers!  Stop being spoiled, immediate gratification, whiners.   You are embarrassing us and giving us a bad name.  Stop it!

While the name-calling is certainly a bit much.....I agree.

Would this type of progression at endgame take a big time sink?  Probably.

But in a game like this that is all about the combat and doing it the "fun" way....shouldn't all of that be kind of moot?

After all, if you find combat boring or uninspired then itemization doesn't matter. 

On the flip side, if the game is genuinely a boat-load of fun to play....the itemization is easily overlooked.

Edit:  For me this concept applies to wildstar.  The questing is generic  quest hub nose-leading....but they're pretty fun and they mix it up (particularly if you actually read the quest text).  That being said...I still don't like quest-hub leveling but I have so much fun with the combat and dungeons/adventures/shiphands that I can overlook it.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

So your basically saying this game will fail because western gamers don't have patience?

I can't disagree with this assumption, but who's to say they won't change their model for the western folks?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I don't know that it will mean that the game will fail in the west. It has a great combat system, not everyone is averse to RNG and its biggest fans will probably hang on through anything. 

But I can agree that the western market in broad terms doesn't take well to RNG progression. I have no doubt that this will seriously limit its success here. There is a big big difference between crazy long grind and being at the mercy of luck. 

All die, so die well.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by ceratop001

So your basically saying this game will fail because western gamers don't have patience?

I can't disagree with this assumption, but who's to say they won't change their model for the western folks?

I don't think he's saying that at all.  I think he's saying that parts of the game wont be FUN to western gamers.  If something is fun to do someone will spend endless amounts of time doing it.  Western gamers are just more selective about what they obsess over.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I suppose in way you're right, this thread is about entitlement.  For some reason people have this idea that they're entitled to not play games with features they don't like. 

It's nice that you suppose, because everyone deserves the chance to realize that I am right. In fact, I am completely correct. I am right in every possible way.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    People are forgetting that the specs in WoD currently are extremely rng based + gear drops are rng based yet people are still playing it, another thing look at Tera's enchanting system. Its abysmally rng related yet its still popular in the US/West i dont think this being a gear grind will be that much harder then Tera's +15

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I have a reason.

How about that stupid name that sounds like it's from the 80's?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by NorseGod

I have a reason.

How about that stupid name that sounds like it's from the 80's?

Elder Guild Warlords of the Archescrolls

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Originally posted by Satyros
    I used to care.. Once..

I am just waiting for skyforge,if that is crap I give up!

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    There are worse things than RNG.
  • vicamvicam Member Posts: 4

I played the game on the private Russian server up to lvl 45 (max lvl on Russian server) and I have to say that the op seems like things should be given away in games instead of earned. The rng isn't that bad in the game and you get better weapons at the end of the game, so you don't actually have to level your starting weapon to max to get the best weapons in the game. Getting the items needed to level your weapons is fairly simple as well since there are places you can go to farm the items if needed. You can also use the ah to buy the items as long the the NA version doesn't super inflate prices which is what normally happens in mmos in North America.

All in all the game was decent with a pretty good story, granted I didn't get to see the full end game since the level cap is actually 50 and the Russian server is a couple years behind content wise compared to China and Korea. If you like fantasy/martial arts type of games then chances are you will enjoy this game.

The one big drawback is that you will have to spend real money in order to get past the 28 bag/bank slot limit. You get 1 for free, the next one costs in game currency (which is very slow to earn until lvl 40+), but you can still maintain and do the end game without maxing out bag/bank slots

• KarvarenKarvaren Member UncommonPosts: 12

Regarding RnG and patience, I can only speak for myself and my experience in Aion. I loved that game at the start. Challenging, slow leveling (which is good), unlinear gear progression (you could get a weapon in the 30s that laster 10-15 levels). 

However, for the end game Fenris gear, you had to farm like CRAZY for several days/week and then RnG craft something to be able to progress. I think I did this recipe 8 or 9 times and failed, before I finally quit the game.

Most NA/EU players don't enjoy this extreme RnG on irreplacable gear pieces. Especially in a competitive PvP game where other people get their gear sets on the 1st/2nd try. On the other hand, I do not mind, even enjoy, "grinding" it out for a "sure" reward.

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    And here I thought it would be the heavily instanced world,  static boss fights, and bland questing.

Instanced Worlds are the single reason for me.

They do not belong in MMO's.  -.-

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by timeraider
    Would suck if RNG-crafting/upgrading would be a thing... look how fucked up it workedf out to be in Archeage. Horrible fucking crafting system

It's only a horrible system if you wrap yourself around it.  I'd rather use up my time to make gold so I could buy the gear I want from the auction house or from the trade channel.  Not once do I have to touch rng crafting for gear, I'll let others do it for me while it may be expensive to purchase, I'll still have my sanity and a comfortable amount of gold.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

It's another cultural difference we see in Korean MMO's, this grind and they seem to get away with it over there. The asian audience seem to have no problem with these very grindy games, which could explain why a lot of them don't do so well in the west. Apparently we don't like the grind.

No doubt we'll see the same pattern we always see, a couple of months of activity and then a drop off down to the hardcore fans. Same old same old.

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

It's another cultural difference we see in Korean MMO's, this grind and they seem to get away with it over there. The asian audience seem to have no problem with these very grindy games, which could explain why a lot of them don't do so well in the west. Apparently we don't like the grind.

No doubt we'll see the same pattern we always see, a couple of months of activity and then a drop off down to the hardcore fans. Same old same old.

So, western style RNG is based off of getting that one piece from one of the raid bosses in an instanced weekly raid.  You get one chance per week at that item and if that item does drop you usually would have to RNG roll against one or more people who have also been waiting weeks for that specific item unless your raid has a DKP system or someone just ninja loot.  By the time you get the gear you wanted from running the same raid week after week for months on end what else is there for you to do?  There's nothing left to chase.  Now you are one of the people in the guild to run others through the same raid every week, in the same instance, using the same macros, standing in the same positions, doing the same rotations.  Then expac comes and your gear is crap (insert clown music, here we go again).

Western RNG may be the lesser of the two type of grind but it is the most monotonous of the two.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Oh yeah waiting for a boss drop is so much better! I can't wait to have to show my boobs to the guild leader so that in the small chance that my gear drops in a dungeon with a hefty lockout timer, I can have a better chance to get it over someone else!

F'in' unreal.