Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

15678911»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If they had put the new class in the cash shop for $50.00, I would have bought it just to play a new class, the new zones and skill trees i don't really care about.  Just a little extra icing on the cake.  So for me it's worth it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    If they had put the new class in the cash shop for $50.00, I would have bought it just to play a new class, the new zones and skill trees i don't really care about.  Just a little extra icing on the cake.  So for me it's worth it.

I agree.

I guess it comes down to if your a fan of the game or not. I bought the Ultimate version of the expansion. Lots of new content, including that class, and gems...not to mention I'm supporting something I have been playing for 3 years.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

From a marketing point of view, purely from that, this is has been a bad idea all around and certainly will work negatievely against getting returning players to rejoin the fold. 

The presentation is poor.  What would be more effective is to say "hey this is the new expansion" and for a limited time or with a special code get the real one free.  This puts the expansion up front as the cost and the base game as free.

As it stands, I can not think of a single game whose expansion released at such a higher cost point over the base game (whereas the base game has only decreased in price by 30 to 40 percent since launch).  In other words, people expect an expansion to be less than the base game's initial launch, if not significanntly less.  The message anet is sending now is that u have to buy the base game (reatailed at 20 - 30 now) to get the expansion (which looks to be an average expansion price of 20 dollars).  

They are doing a poor job of presenting the expansion as worth 50 dollars and buy autobundling the base game they are showing their own confidence in the expansions worth. 

The besst recovery for them is to offer an expansion only for 35 to 40, and refunding those with who prepurchased and giving them something to show good faith in the community.   

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Considering the metric ton of Revenants walking around the HoT pre-purchase seems to be doing fine.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

Dear Op, 

Don't buy it then. There is no SUB, it's a fair price for free content there-on-after. 

End

There is cash shop. Also, if you didn't log in for Living story season 2, you had to pay 200 gems for it or something like 800 for the whole set. How do we know they're not going to pull that again?

To the "Freerers", just because a marketing team labels something as "Free", doesn't make it so. Do you get to play Guild Wars if you pay $0? Of course not, you have to buy HoT.

So, how many people claiming it's "Free" actually own Guild Wars 2 already anyways? It's a slap in the face of the millions of people who already own the game. Yes, it makes good business sense to bundle it if you want to attract new players, but for their existing customer base, they should have offered it as less for just the expansion. Both you and I know that the cost of the core game is factored into the $50. For the $50 price point, what do they offer to the people who left Guild Wars 2?

The only true free games are the F2P where yes, we've paid $0 to play. In Guild Wars 2, you paid $50 to have a inventory bag slot locked, legalized RMT, "Convenience" locked away on purpose and most all the good looking armors and weapons in the cash shop.

P.S

Guild halls were a feature that were supposed to be released with Guild Wars 2's original release. Then they said they were releasing it later. Now it's a main feature of HoT. I'm curious if some guild halls are going to be cash shop only.

All I get from this is, "Should have never forced out subscription model based games."

=)

In my opinion, sub based games are still the best idea for this genre. Everyone pays the same and is on equal footing, no cash shop nonsense. But no, people wrongly perceived that as being shafted somehow despite the benefits it provided. Welp, this is what we get for pushing the subscription model into obscurity, ENJOY!

Still riles me up that there are those out there who still don't seem to get that MMO's have a continued development cost that is completely different from single player games. Subscriptions solved this problem, and $15 a month is absolute peanuts. But no, not good enough for the penny pinchers out there, so companies adapted and came up with the cash shop which doesn't work unless highly incentivized. Once again, the community has to reap what it sowed.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

edit:

NVM this is just too dull to even bother

Harbinger of Fools
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Character slot for pre-owning sounds about right to me.

Think about all the $15/mo games that would charge $50 for the base game and $50 per expansion, not including the original game for several years.

This isn't a bad deal at all. People are just getting more and more greedy.

I would say people are getting more money conscience and that's not just the gaming industry, it's society wide.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by Betakodo

So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

people complain about this but not when WoW charges 15 a month + 60 per expansion UNLESS you go collectors edition for 75. Really people get off your high horse, i rather pay another 50 then be done with it. Also the free character slot is a nice addition.

Look to sum all this up i bought WoW for a friends bday it cost me 40+60=100 bucks + tax so it ended at around 107. 107 + 15 a month will just continue to add up where gw2 is 50 bucks for the WHOLE DAMN GAME. if you owned the game before hand then suck it up and pay the money. You already have a massive head start on those who will be new to the game. We know the ins and outs of the game and will be able to jump right in to the new content where the new players wont. I am tired of these self entitled brats constantly complaining about "no expansion only options"  Oh and to touch on the cash shop part of your post, NOTHING inside the cash shop is a MUST its all convinence items. AND you are able to convert gold to gems to buy them so even if HoT is heavy with cash shop it doesn ot effect your game at all. Also HoT will be adding a new area/new "sub classes" as i like to call them/ a new class/ gliding. so yes it is worth the 50 bucks MUCH MORE then WoD was.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!