Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On reddit, former developer discusses hardships

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• MaelfynMaelfyn Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Awesome read. As a small indie game developer a lot of this rings true for me. I've had minor bugs in my server-side code force me to rollback my database.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Sorry OP but you need to stop developing like you are in the 80's and come to 2015 and see how we do it today. There is simply no excuse for development the way you described it. It's outdated and only used by amateurs and indie developers.

With Agile, RUP, AUD or DSDM combined with modern coding principles for high performance languages such as C++ nothing you said is true.

Go educate yourself on how Software Projects are managed in the 21st century. What you are telling people here is a Myth that is still spread by developers that are either lying or are too lazy to use modern development methods.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Vardahoth

The developer needs to learn to say no, and stop shipping through hordes of bugs.

Yes, no developer should ever accept management trying to force them to compromise their principles. They should rather resign and find a new job where things are done properly, expectations are realistic and projects always have sufficient time and budget.

Dream on...

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Vardahoth

The developer needs to learn to say no, and stop shipping through hordes of bugs.

Yes, no developer should ever accept management trying to force them to compromise their principles. They should rather resign and find a new job where things are done properly, expectations are realistic and projects always have sufficient time and budget.

Dream on...

I think he was talking about the Developer as in the company that develops games not an individual and he is indeed right that they should stop shipping with bugs.

Latest example of this is Bugman: Arkham Knight which cost Warner millions due to 2/3rd of the pre-orders being refunded. The game already dropped to $20 and lower on various internet sites due to this so future sales are not looking too bright either. Now they know that people do vote with their wallets and it costs them real money if they release unfinished and buggy products.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.