Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Daybreak & DDOS - Reaction to Smed's Challenge on Twitter?

Comments

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Didn't you know? Blaming the victim is the new "it" thing for the small minded. Anything to avoid pointing the fingers at who they have chosen to be "in the right".
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    How long could these attacks go on?  I don't know the history of the Christmas time attacks, etc.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    How long could these attacks go on?  I don't know the history of the Christmas time attacks, etc.

The fact it's not back up yet says DBG doesn't have in its assets or resources for effective countermeasures. I doubt it's so simple as coding a new filter recognizing legitimate logins versus spam, but, as many other companies have suffered similar problems and recovered, DBG seems to be curling up into a little ball, shutting out the world and humming nursery rhymes.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

I guess the point is rather how many times will they be repeated once the current ones stop (and BTW they are not showing any signs of stopping, on the contrary).

Speaking of duration, Daybreak first tweeted (10:00 PM yesterday) "investigating issues" (and some time later Smed tweeted "Getting a minor DDOS. We're working on it. should be back up soon.") then, 5 hours later (!) "All games, websites, and forums are still impacted. We do not have an ETA for when services will be restored."

W...aaagh?
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    wait wait wait wait wait.. some kiddie computer criminals out there being douche bags and people are calling smed out for having a big mouth? wtf is this world coming to. Those little bastards should be remove from the cyber universe for the rest of their lives. There is no excuse.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Smed should have kept his mouthj shut and let the justice system and lawyers deal with this.
    Stiring up the hornets nest with his comments didn't help. Don't they have PR people for this? Like really, he has to know that was going to piss off people.
    Free advice Smed, quit twitter, facebook, all social media. Let your lawyers and PR people do the talking.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Torval
    I'm on Smedley's side here. What those people do shouldn't be tolerated. These guys have hit other companies than DBG (and the former SoE). They need to see the consequences for their actions. The Finnish government should be ashamed for the mockery they've made of justice.

Exactly, any old time to bash on Smed though... some simply can't pass it up, even if it means siding with cyber terror...... They called a bomb threat into the plane he was on for %^&* sake. To blame Smed for retaliation over his words is just asinine, he has every right to voice an opinion on the matter. Anyone in his position would, yet because it's Smed, the usual suspects must have their show..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Just a 2 year suspended sentence fro credit credit fraud and costing millions in damages to businesses he messed with?

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Wow Smed, you must have a serious case of athletes tongue by now.

Yeah, Lizard Squad are criminal scum, we know that, but Smed, your statements are totally out of line as well. (Possibly illegal depending on interpretation, ianal)

First, you don't go after innocent people that can't control the teenage @#!%%$^& just because they are his parents. You know, I doubt they did anything to help him on his criminal career and probably feel pretty bad about bringing that little sociopath into the world as it is.

Second, ending it with a vague threat that seems to imply that you intend to commit violence, possibly murder, against the loser is not a good thing. That's a super stupid and totally F'd up move there Smed. It doesn't matter how much you can't stand the little creep, that kind of stunt can only get you in trouble, especially if something does happen to him.

Oh well, I have a pretty low opinion of Smed from lots of other things he's done anyway.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    If I was the daybreak CEO, Smed would have been unemployed the second he decided to comment.
    Originally posted by Precusor

Just a 2 year suspended sentence fro credit credit fraud and costing millions in damages to businesses he messed with?

Part of his suspended sentence bans him from computers, he touches a computer he goes to grown up jail.

Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Smed is an idiot. Almost makes me wish they keep their services down for a good long while.

Daybreak said concerning the new EQ2 locked servers that they did not have the old code....

I think it would be interesting if these hackers managed to delete all the code for the daybreak games.

Would love to see how daybreak tries to fix something like that with their customers.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by psiic
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Smed is an idiot. Almost makes me wish they keep their services down for a good long while.

Daybreak said concerning the new EQ2 locked servers that they did not have the old code....

I think it would be interesting if these hackers managed to delete all the code for the daybreak games.

Would love to see how daybreak tries to fix something like that with their customers.

That would require also access to their contracted secure off site storage facility. They better bring a large heavily armed force with them along with some bunker buster shaped charges.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It amazes me the nerve of gamers. Then we wonder why devs grow to hate us. Say you didn't care for a certain lady. Would you call to gloat and kick her while she's down after being sexually assaulted? This kid destroyed the user's confidence in businesses, causing millions in damages, got a slap on the wrist for it, and the bulk of you braintrusts come here to bash a guy who finally had enough of being bullied by script kiddies with no lives. Again, and you all wonder why they hate us.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Sue the parents to hell and back hit them for money that is what hurts.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Lizard Squad members are jokes. So easy these days to DDOS and angry nerd kids with power are never good.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Sue the parents to hell and back hit them for money that is what hurts.

Can´t really do that in Finland. Had the kid been in the US it might have been a different matter. 

But i honestly think Smed knows what he does in this case. Baiting them and trying to get them to step one step to far. 

Not saying it is smart but i can´t say i blame him. After all is it not a old cliché that the US does not negotiate with terrorists..? =P

This have been a good conversation

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I am amazed that some people on this forum are blaming Smed for this. He didn't say anything extreme, just clarified his determination to stop these criminals. Whether you like the guy or not he is clearly an icon of the gaming industry that has spent his life passionately working to promote gaming, while the criminals in question are a direct threat to gamers (and others).

I think the sentence is extremely light considering the magnitude of the crimes, and Smed's response is quite justified and not at all extreme. I just hope the young guy uses this as a chance to turn his life around and use his brains for something beneficial.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

U can like or dislike Smed....but come on.... is has been suffering assaults by this kids for some time already (swatted , Card hacking , sending him photos of his father grave with nasty things (really? u cant hate a person that much) , the airship incident ect ect

He and his family (that has nothing to do with gaming ) have suffered enough.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Here finland crimas are taken lighly and our prisons are like hotels:/
  • TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    On one hand: good they taking an aggresive respondse to hackers for once over 20 years.
    On the other hand: taunting hax0rz is dumb.....unless your prepared for retalition.
    Seems also dumb those hack to play these games get so upset when they get caught.
    Oh well
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by YashaX

I am amazed that some people on this forum are blaming Smed for this. He didn't say anything extreme, just clarified his determination to stop these criminals. Whether you like the guy or not he is clearly an icon of the gaming industry that has spent his life passionately working to promote gaming, while the criminals in question are a direct threat to gamers (and others).

I think the sentence is extremely light considering the magnitude of the crimes, and Smed's response is quite justified and not at all extreme. I just hope the young guy uses this as a chance to turn his life around and use his brains for something beneficial.

Perhaps his sentence was light for a reason, if he was some kind of hardened criminal etc, surely the sentence would not have been so lenient. And yes, hopefully this will encourage him to spend his time more wisely in future.image

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It will take some time before cyber-crime becomes treated equally seriously in all countries. Even in these "modern" times, it is still not properly understood or legislated in many jurisdictions. The list of precedent judgements is also fairly short and in a small country like Finland, it is probably almost non-existent. No surprise really that the sentence handed down there was "lenient" by US standards.

Attacking Smed for voicing his opposition to these cyber-criminals is pathetic. The activities of groups like Lizard Squad are what will lead to the eventual global monitoring and policing of the internet. It can (and will) be done eventually, because humans will flagrantly abuse anything that is not properly regulated. It's just what we do, specially if there's money involved.

I'll bet that 50 years from now people will tell great stories about the days when the internet was "like the Wild West", and they'll laugh about amateurish things were back in 2015...

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Precusor

Perhaps they should lock him up for 200 years like they do in the good old USA. Sorry but the US doesn't dictate how other countries run there criminal system.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Blueliner
    I never liked Smed, but god damn, givem hell old man!

For all I care they give those hackers 40 years in jail, but having no respect for Smedley whatsoever (fmr $OE customer here) I can not deny I didn't have a bit of fun they shut him up with ddos attacks.

PS. Smedley invented a much more effective weapon then a ddos attack himself. It is called the NGE attack. Made a game unplayable for 99% of a player community for years untill it was shut down.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"