Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time for a STO2?

SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46

STO has gotten so much wrong, I think it can't be fixed at this point. So I say start all over for scratch, and do a NEW STO2. One that we the fans can put our stamp of approval on. And no not have limits to it due to fan boys not being happy. Any new Star Trek Online type game, MUST be a Star Trek Experience. One where you feel like your playing an episode of a show your staring in.

IMO it must have the following to start with, and build from there:

1. PvE space combat modeled after the Bridge commander game.

2. More interaction with your Bridge crew, and more stories with them in the middle of them.

3. Big interactive ships, where you can interact with other members of the ship's crew, and do things on your ship. 10 Forward anyone? 

4. SPACE............more of it, and more unknown places to explore.

5. 3 full working factions to start, with faction only story lines you can do.

6.  PvP that has real meaning and a purpose.

7. Diplomatic missions that can effect your faction standings with other races.

8. Random events that can push your ship and crew into a side mission, some where you can get huge rewards from.

It's a start, and I am sure others can add to this list. Oh and I will add.

Everyone has to start at their faction of choice academy!

And once you finish there, you will be assigned your 1st duty on a Space Station or a Star Ship, both with all the decks and tubes, and tons of NPC and player crews. Only you get to the proper ranking, then you get your own command and ship.

I think it's one of the things I had an issue with in STO, that and all the other non-faction ships players are using from the lockboxes. Just doesn't feel or look right.

So what are some of your ideas?

meonthissite

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No way, Cryptic have gotten their chance with the IP. A Star trek MMO should be made for trekkies and be about playing with your friends on a single ship.

The most important thing about a MMO is to now your fanbase (like Blizzard did with Wow). 

Cryptic would succeed better with another Forgotten realms MMO instead, they are way harder to botch up.

• jaxomejaxome Member UncommonPosts: 76
    ill play almost any star trek mmo, as long as it is kinda canon and has nothing to do with PWE.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't remember any company scrapping everything and starting from scratch.  Except maybe for FFXIV.  SWGs license went to SWTOR.  I think it's a very long shot that the company would start over.  That said I liked the game at the start but now besides the gear grind you have to level nearly everything which just killed it for me.  Haven't been on in a long time.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797

I agree with you.

I also would like to see a STO where space is not full of ships, i mean every lieutenant can command a ship? wtf? thats ridiculous!

also it would be nice if you could run a ship with your friends / guild members, every one has different jobs to do, navigate, shoot, repair, giving commands, fight intruders.

And there is even more t hey could implement to make a real and nice Star Trek MMO, but i dont think it will ever happen.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• LocoGunner71LocoGunner71 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Loke666

No way, Cryptic have gotten their chance with the IP. A Star trek MMO should be made for trekkies and be about playing with your friends on a single ship.The most important thing about a MMO is to now your fanbase (like Blizzard did with Wow). Cryptic would succeed better with another Forgotten realms MMO instead, they are way harder to botch up.

THIS
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SirCedric

STO has gotten so much wrong, I think it can't be fixed at this point. So I say start all over for scratch, and do a NEW STO2. 

//RING RING//

"Hello?"

"Yeah, he's here. ... uh huh... ok... sure, I'll get him."

SirCedric, it's for you. It's 2003. They said they'd like their failed MMO business strategy back. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by LocoGunner71

No way, Cryptic have gotten their chance with the IP. A Star trek MMO should be made for trekkies and be about playing with your friends on a single ship.

The most important thing about a MMO is to now your fanbase (like Blizzard did with Wow). 

Cryptic would succeed better with another Forgotten realms MMO instead, they are way harder to botch up.

THIS

It has surprised me that Trekkies haven't made their own multiplayer ST game by now. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

a big mmo with only one hero? that would become a single player game very fast

who would pay a sub, to follow orders from another player? would you?

Originally posted by Daikuru

I agree with you.

I also would like to see a STO where space is not full of ships, i mean every lieutenant can command a ship? wtf? thats ridiculous!

also it would be nice if you could run a ship with your friends / guild members, every one has different jobs to do, navigate, shoot, repair, giving commands, fight intruders.

And there is even more t hey could implement to make a real and nice Star Trek MMO, but i dont think it will ever happen.

most MTBs have a lieutenant as a captain, even in war

they already tried one of those multiplayer Space games, not on the same ship though

it failed hard

• SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46

Ok how about this:

1. Name a gaming company you feel would do a great job with a STO2?

2. What if any new deal meant the new game had to look like the newer movies?

3. You had to start off on one of 3 mega ships or 3 mega star bases, where you had to do away mission from time to time, and had team ups with groups?

4. You don't get your own ship until the rank of captain?

5. They gave you more career options?

6. Space would be a very big place, so would that be an issue?

I know Cryptic dropped the ball on this big time, and I don't see it getting fixed anytime so.

But I still think a different company could get it right.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

And while we are are at it, it is also probably time for Lotro 2 and also SWG/Swotor 3.

I quite enjoyed STO myself.   Just having a badass Starship to fly around in was good enough for me.  The missions were fun.

If another one comes around I would try it.  Not holding my breath.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

STO has gotten so much wrong, I think it can't be fixed at this point. So I say start all over for scratch, and do a NEW STO2. One that we the fans can put our stamp of approval on. And no not have limits to it due to fan boys not being happy. Any new Star Trek Online type game, MUST be a Star Trek Experience. One where you feel like your playing an episode of a show your staring in.

2. More interaction with your Bridge crew, and more stories with them in the middle of them.

3. Big interactive ships, where you can interact with other members of the ship's crew, and do things on your ship. 10 Forward anyone? 

8. Random events that can push your ship and crew into a side mission, some where you can get huge rewards from.

And once you finish there, you will be assigned your 1st duty on a Space Station or a Star Ship, both with all the decks and tubes, and tons of NPC and player crews. Only you get to the proper ranking, then you get your own command and ship.

I think it's one of the things I had an issue with in STO, that and all the other non-faction ships players are using from the lockboxes. Just doesn't feel or look right.

You're coming to this conclusion 5 years too late. LMAO. Also what you describe is an expanded version of Bridge Commander , which wouldn't work as a MMO or PVP aspect . You can't live the TV shows in a game environment and make it compelling enough for people to want to play. The closest game that accomplish anything close to this was SWG and that failed miserably. ( mainly due to Sony among other valid reasons ) If you go MMO then the game has to be action based primarily and combat engaging without feeling burdensome. Cryptic is a non starter period , they've proven that. I personally don't think another company other then EA would touch this IP for a very long time at this point. With EA have the corner on the more profitably Star Wars IP. I'll leave you with this.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Can we get Earth and Beyond 2? How about EnB just come back with a new engine? Please?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by simplius

Well "maybe".

It depends on your mmo experience. My first was Lineage 2. 

In L2 the Clan Leader has ultimate power. he controlled the clan, the guild bank,  was if memory serves, the only one who can take over a castle during a siege and the only one who could fly a dragon mount.

You might as well ask "how many people would pay to support one player who could ride a cool dragon mount that they couldn't".

Thing is, the game worked best with strong leaders and their devoted followers.

To that end, not everyone wants to be a "clan leader" and not everyone wants to be "a captain".

Now, if the captain had ultimate control? no I doubt that people would do that. But if the captain was the guild leader and led like guild leaders? With his lieutenants as second/third in command?  Possibly.

But as guild leader he weighed what the guild wanted (like any guild leader) and then was the driving force of that guild. That would work.

Where it wouldn't work is having a guild of hundreds and hundreds of players all wanting to to partake in missions. I imagine the guilds would have to be smaller. Which also was done in L2 as guilds had limited players not like some games today where it's just an all out "invite fest".

So it "could" work. But there would have to be enough players that didn't want to be guild leaders and were ok with being science office or Ensign or red shirt guy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by simplius

Well "maybe".

It depends on your mmo experience. My first was Lineage 2. 

In L2 the Clan Leader has ultimate power. he controlled the clan, the guild bank,  was if memory serves, the only one who can take over a castle during a siege and the only one who could fly a dragon mount.

You might as well ask "how many people would pay to support one player who could ride a cool dragon mount that they couldn't".

Thing is, the game worked best with strong leaders and their devoted followers.

To that end, not everyone wants to be a "clan leader" and not everyone wants to be "a captain".

Now, if the captain had ultimate control? no I doubt that people would do that. But if the captain was the guild leader and led like guild leaders? With his lieutenants as second/third in command?  Possibly.

But as guild leader he weighed what the guild wanted (like any guild leader) and then was the driving force of that guild. That would work.

Where it wouldn't work is having a guild of hundreds and hundreds of players all wanting to to partake in missions. I imagine the guilds would have to be smaller. Which also was done in L2 as guilds had limited players not like some games today where it's just an all out "invite fest".

So it "could" work. But there would have to be enough players that didn't want to be guild leaders and were ok with being science office or Ensign or red shirt guy.

yea, if you could find enough suckers, to pay for that experience, it could work

but you wont, because they can get a better experience in other games

paying a sub, to be a red shirt...good luck with that

ktanner3
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I see qutie a few people going on about playing on a single ship with other people..  but how would that work..

So you have the captian that gives orders ? err might be ok

A pilot guy who flys around.. yeah great..

A weapons guy.. yup fun here..

A comms guy... err wow awesome

A science guy .. oo scanning

A engineer .. fixes broken things..

Other than the pilot and the gunner i cant see the rest being that fun..

ktanner3
  • burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Change the name of the game to "Starfleet Online", and have it a proper 3rd person Theme Park MMO in the vein of SWTOR and I would play it in a heartbeat. (With Bridge Commander Combat of Course!)
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

You're coming to this conclusion 5 years too late. LMAO. Also what you describe is an expanded version of Bridge Commander , which wouldn't work as a MMO or PVP aspect . You can't live the TV shows in a game environment and make it compelling enough for people to want to play. The closest game that accomplish anything close to this was SWG and that failed miserably. ( mainly due to Sony among other valid reasons ) If you go MMO then the game has to be action based primarily and combat engaging without feeling burdensome. Cryptic is a non starter period , they've proven that. I personally don't think another company other then EA would touch this IP for a very long time at this point. With EA have the corner on the more profitably Star Wars IP. I'll leave you with this.

Well isn't that the point? After 5 years of failing to get it right, it's time to start over with a new version of STO then add the 2. You can make a fun game, as long as you have things to do.

Example, Doctor career, your in the lab, and you have to splice genes together, to find a cure. This a game, then take said cure to the planet, and have an interactive adventure with the people down there. There can be gun play, more puzzles to down, or whatever, but it would be the simple point and click.

example 2, Your a red shirt guy, and your doing a few missions that have you doing ship security and a bunch of away missions. While on ships duty, your boarded by pirates, Ship wide RED ALERT, you have your phaser in hand, and rush off to find these pirates. When you do it's action time. Same when your on away missions, come on man your a red shirt, so you know troubles coming. lol

I don't understand why people feel if you make it more like Trek on TV, that you can work in mini games to do what you see on the shows, and if you want the action there can and will be action. No one and I mean no one wants a new game to fail, but we do want to see a better version they we the fans/ players can get behind. Is that so wrong?

BTW I want PvE space battles to be like bridge commander 2.0 and the PvP space battles can say like you see in STO now. I think it's the best way to make it work.

Originally posted by Caldrin

I see qutie a few people going on about playing on a single ship with other people..  but how would that work..

No one wants that geez, but again you can make it work if you have the mega ships, where people start off. Doesn't mean you stay there, just that you begin there after you leave the academy.

Originally posted by Caldrin

No one wants that geez, but again you can make it work if you have the mega ships, where people start off. Doesn't mean you stay there, just that you begin there after you leave the academy.

it would make perfect sense with regards to the lore

it would also make "better" STO players IMO

but, starting an mmo with a forced cooperation map would guarantee, that it would be a small niche title

no professional dev would touch such a project (maybe smedley?)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Who owns the MMO rights for the Star Trek IP, and for how long ?

That may give you a clue as to what the chances are of seeing a STO2 or any similar development. I doubt Cryptic's masters will consider replacing STO with anything at all as long as they can milk it for profit while investing minimal funds in new development work.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

I want to play in the Star Trek universe what do i mean by that, I dont want to be forced playing a toon in starfleet, If I want to be a trader I should be able to do that, If i want to play a pirate I should be able to do that, If i want to be a crafter and a seller of ships I want to be able to do that, If i want to be an explorer and sell my findings to which ever goverment I would be able to do that.

I want a open Star Trek Universe that feels alive were I can live in and do my own thing and not being forced in joining starfeel or romulans or kdf.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

I want to play in the Star Trek universe what do i mean by that, I dont want to be forced playing a toon in starfleet, If I want to be a trader I should be able to do that, If i want to play a pirate I should be able to do that, If i want to be a crafter and a seller of ships I want to be able to do that, If i want to be an exporer and sell my findings to which ever goverment I would be able to do that.

I want a open Star Trek Universe that feels alive were I can live in and do my own thing and not being forced in joining starfeel or romulans or kdf.

Indeed, STO copied WoW themepark style and it failed hard.

A new MMORPG should be a sandbox with stuff from Eve Online, but with less focus on PvP and tons of new diplomatic/politic tools.

Players could be part of starfleet but also create colonies on their own, manage trade routes, organize alliances, set up a casino on a space-station or just try to survive one more day on an hostile planete because your ship crash there and your radio is broken.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

I want to play in the Star Trek universe what do i mean by that, I dont want to be forced playing a toon in starfleet, If I want to be a trader I should be able to do that, If i want to play a pirate I should be able to do that, If i want to be a crafter and a seller of ships I want to be able to do that, If i want to be an exporer and sell my findings to which ever goverment I would be able to do that.

Actually, that is a game i wouldn't mind playing. It doesn't make much sense after all, to have a multi thousand crewed Federation Starship or whatever,  in the hands of a single player, when the overall number of such ships was supposed to be fairly small anyway, far better they be NPC ships, that players can perhaps interact with for missions/trading etc. So that players can be in the 'universe' of Star Trek, whether as a small ships captain operating as a free trader perhaps or some other more nefarious activity.image

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

Probably not going to happen for many reasons that have already been stated.

I stopped investing $ into STO when PWE/Cryptic decided to exile the dilithium store last summer & no regrets.

Is it still a good game where fun can be had?  Yes, but the blatant attempts at nickel & diming are more obvious nowadays.

Horrible implementation of T6 since they didn't lessen the cost of T5 items even though their value diminishes.

A lot of the Star Trek MMO promise I guess rests on whenever the contract is up for renewal rights.

As a F2P game though it still offers plenty for casual gamers.

There were some really good ideas for another STO MMO or any MMO in these posts.

STO2 not going to happen just let STO play out it's days & hopefully it can renew itself somewhat.

Besides PWE/Cryptic would introduce STO2 through Arc probably for only $199.99, special deal, which after would be $299.99.

I used to play about every other day, but now maybe once a week for an hour or two.