Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall - A Few Questions About The Game

H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing in this game.  Three months of conquest and then a reset in the world but you get to keep your characters and move on to another conquest.  The idea is unique and sounds like a fun game that I won't have to divorce my wife and sell my kids to get into.

That being said I have a few questions that I haven't seen answered.  Forgive me if I'm asking old questions, or if I didn't look in the right place for the answers.

1)  Is Archetype just another word for class?  When I start, say a Myrmidon, then am I locked into being a minotaur tank, or are these, as the name suggests, just a starting point for your character?

2)  Are Archetypes weapon locked?  Can I be a Minotaur that wears light armor and carries a giant two handed warhammer?  Can I make a human soldier who wears leather armor and carries a big shield and a spear?  Sorry, but this part of SWTOR drives me crazy.  I just want to play a Consular/Shadow Jedi who uses a single lightsaber, but nooooooo, if I want one lightsaber, then I'm locked into being a Sage or Knight.

3)  Is there any kind of equipment granularity or is this game more of a skillset game where gear is vanity and doesn't provide any character benefits? I really prefer skill based games and that's what this seems to be on the surface.  The archetype page doesn't provide any answers to that, it just shows some attributes and a bit of lore.  Wheeee.  I'm an EVE player, give me the numbers dammit!

4)  If there is any gear stratifcation, then is gear going to be Bind on Equip or Bind on Pickup?  As a ten year EVE veteran I always find myself rolling my eyes and sighing heavily every time I can't sell the sword I own to someone else for a price.

5)  Following on to that question, what does the crafting system and economy look like?  BoE/BoP games typically have dead economies except for craftable consumables like potions.  If you can raid for the best sword in the game, then you never really need to buy a crafted sword so the majority of themepark games have stagnant economies.  I understand that there's not raiding in this game, so equipment has to come from somewhere.  I'm hoping it comes from a kick ass crafting system.

6)  Following on to that question; is there going to be any type of gear degredation or gear loss?  You can create the best crafting system in the world, but lets face it, if a player never needs to buy more than one sword, then the crafters will be busy for about a month, and then they can go back to playing EVE where people need new ships and equipment every day.

7)  Is the combat going to be WildStar-esque twitch based dashing and double jumping, or is it going to be more grounded and realistic like Age of Conan's methodical combo system with brutal fatalities?

On a weird note:  I'm a SCUBA diver, a boater, and a frequent flyer with tens of thousands of air miles.  I've never been nauseous doing any of these things, even in the worst turbulence I ever experienced in a puddle jumper flying through a raging storm.  It felt like we were on a pogo stick with wings, but I never felt ill.  

Double Jumping, however, makes my head hurt and makes me want to vomit after just a few hours of play.  Literally  physically sick.  I lasted about two nights in WildStar and then gave up.  Not only that but the first time I see a centaur double jump and flip over in the air while wearing full plate armor and carrying a 100lb War Axe, then I'm out.  Gameplay be damned.

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Three months of conquest and then a reset in the world but you get to keep your characters and move on to another conquest. 

Time will vary depending on campaign and rules. Could be weeks to several months, they seem open to what "works" for fans.

1)  Is Archetype just another word for class?  When I start, say a Myrmidon, then am I locked into being a minotaur tank, or are these, as the name suggests, just a starting point for your character?

Yes and no. It is a starting point, but each will have at least 3 paths to go down that might make a Mino Tank more offensive, defense, support, etc. Not hugely different then some other games. But a "tank" won't be a single defined role.

2)  Are Archetypes weapon locked?  Can I be a Minotaur that wears light armor and carries a giant two handed warhammer?  Can I make a human soldier who wears leather armor and carries a big shield and a spear?  Sorry, but this part of SWTOR drives me crazy.  I just want to play a Consular/Shadow Jedi who uses a single lightsaber, but nooooooo, if I want one lightsaber, then I'm locked into being a Sage or Knight.

They recently said there are no real armor restrictions, just pros/cons of each.

Weapons are still a mystery I believe. From what I understand, different Archetypes will have access to different weapons and by adding Disciplines, will open up more options that may be shared across multiple Archetypes.

3)  Is there any kind of equipment granularity or is this game more of a skillset game where gear is vanity and doesn't provide any character benefits? I really prefer skill based games and that's what this seems to be on the surface.  The archetype page doesn't provide any answers to that, it just shows some attributes and a bit of lore.  Wheeee.  I'm an EVE player, give me the numbers dammit!

Gear will have a purpose (stats) but seems fairly horizontal where being a "vet" doesn't equate to god mode based on gear alone. Crafting is supposed to be a big deal and we should be able to tailor gear to our needs.

4)  If there is any gear stratifcation, then is gear going to be Bind on Equip or Bind on Pickup?  As a ten year EVE veteran I always find myself rolling my eyes and sighing heavily every time I can't sell the sword I own to someone else for a price.

Not sure on this yet. As Crafting is supposed to be a full time gig and mobs aren't a real source of items, assuming it will be pretty open trade.

5)  Following on to that question, what does the crafting system and economy look like?  BoE/BoP games typically have dead economies except for craftable consumables like potions.  If you can raid for the best sword in the game, then you never really need to buy a crafted sword so the majority of themepark games have stagnant economies.  I understand that there's not raiding in this game, so equipment has to come from somewhere.  I'm hoping it comes from a kick ass crafting system.

Pretty much their goal. Certain Archetypes or Disciplines will be necessary to craft the "good" stuff. So depending on Archetype, Promo Class, and 3 Disciplines we choose, everyone can't be a master crafter and soldier on one.

6)  Following on to that question; is there going to be any type of gear degredation or gear loss?  You can create the best crafting system in the world, but lets face it, if a player never needs to buy more than one sword, then the crafters will be busy for about a month, and then they can go back to playing EVE where people need new ships and equipment every day.

Full to partial loot of gear/inventory and item decay depending on campaign rules.

When campaigns end, most items go poof. Winners keep more than losers.

7)  Is the combat going to be WildStar-esque twitch based dashing and double jumping, or is it going to be more grounded and realistic like Age of Conan's methodical combo system with brutal fatalities?

No idea on brutal stuff, unlikely with the art style. But they've said Tera is a good to look at for ideas on combat. But they seem to have an original idea or twenty of their own. Physics, collision, friendly fire, recticle aiming, etc.

On a weird note:  I'm a SCUBA diver, a boater, and a frequent flyer with tens of thousands of air miles.  I've never been nauseous doing any of these things, even in the worst turbulence I ever experienced in a puddle jumper flying through a raging storm.  It felt like we were on a pogo stick with wings, but I never felt ill.  

Double Jumping, however, makes my head hurt and makes me want to vomit after just a few hours of play.  Literally  physically sick.  I lasted about two nights in WildStar and then gave up.  Not only that but the first time I see a centaur double jump and flip over in the air while wearing full plate armor and carrying a 100lb War Axe, then I'm out.  Gameplay be damned.

Seems they are aiming for a more "realistic" approach. Characters are still more than human, but Centaurs most likely won't be flying through the air like ninjas. They want characters/actions to have weight/mass.

At this point, any company attempting to mimic the majority of Wildstar features is dooming itself. Beyond some now retracted telegraphs shown for pre-Alpha combat during the Kickstarter, not much in common.

Some useful links:

http://crowfall.com/#/faq

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/forum/6-news-announcements/

http://crowfall.com/#/about-the-game

http://crowfall.com/#/archetypegrid

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Also that FAQ really helps explain quite a bit about the game.  Usually FAQ's aren't that detailed.  If only they'd present a lot of that information on other parts of the site