Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What you did made a difference!

kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

Anyone out there that can name a game where what you did changed the game forever?  Where a permanent monument or fixture or something changed within the game that any of us can log onto the game and go see? 

anyone here have 1 of those accomplishments?  If so state the circumstances.. I know for a fact it is one of your go to gaming memories.. so share them with us!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Most of the differences made are in history and through emergent gameplay. Memorials and monuments aren't really what players or developers aim for with 'make a difference.'

In EVE, the playerbase has collectively made a difference through their gameplay, as many design decisions were the result of how players were playing the game. I'm quite sure a lot of other sandbox-style MMOs are the same way. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Heh, silvadel's bells was in Vanguard as recognition of my being the tailoring testing lead volunteer during the beta.  Of course Vanguard is no longer there.  I submitted and in some cases gave likely solutions to bugs in several games.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I think warhammer had statues dedicated to players that had achieved certain things.  GW2 has several in game items & characters dedicated to players.  Sanctum of Rall is actually named after a deceased player...
  • kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52
    in nexustk, they have statues dedicated to players.. i remember about 17 years ago when a player named calmwind, at the time had the highest hp in the game ( and skill dmg is based of current hp), he 1 shot a GM in a pvp zone..  a couple hours later 2 gm's logged back on into the game with new and improved hp, and 1 shot him!.    In darkages, DARKAGES.COM in the town of loures there are 5 statues dedicated to 1 of each of the paths that destroyed the bosses guarding the seals of the Next patch called Medinia.  Their statues with their (at the time) current gear, and names still stand in game.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    I used to crash eq1 zones back in 1999, it made a diffence to all after SoE patched the exploit ;)

Well, if we're going that route, I was one of the handful of people that was obsessed with townkilling bankers and vendors, leading to their current invulnerable status. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I would say if you've ever been a guild/clan/etc leader, or ranking official in such an organization, or community leader of sorts, you've made a lasting impact in some way.

There may not be a statue with your name on it in game, but you helped take a lot of aspiring players and meld them into a community and kept the wheels on the bus from falling apart while everyone else goes out and has fun. Folks who stayed up late trying to calm the drama, people out recruiting new blood, leaders who put together raids and made sure everyone played by the rules: all everyday people who took a lot of grief and work and trouble and expected absolutely nothing in return to make that game a bit better place for everyone.

Community is what makes MMOs special. An MMO never dies until the community falls out from under it - that's why we still hear a lot about COH and SWG - those communities are still around, they ~were~ the game, in spirit and in soul. I can log into my old EQ1 server and still find people who will remember long-since-disbanded guilds from over a decade ago, and many of those players are still around and playing today. Those older guilds have had a lasting impact in shaping how guilds that came after them were setup and run - both good and bad.

/salute to all of you unpaid and underappreciated volunteers who make these virtual worlds a living, breathing thing. You are truly the backbone of any online game.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by kuyanofda

Anyone out there that can name a game where what you did changed the game forever?  Where a permanent monument or fixture or something changed within the game that any of us can log onto the game and go see? 

anyone here have 1 of those accomplishments?  If so state the circumstances.. I know for a fact it is one of your go to gaming memories.. so share them with us!

Not that this likely "changed" the game for anyone else, but in UO I used to write books of poetry and leave them laying around(just trying to compete with Sherry the Mouse, she was everywhere!)... I'm pretty sure if any of my accounts were reactivated, most would have at least one copy still, as for the ones others kept in their libraries, I doubt any of those players are still around, most left after Publish 16. :/
     http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_16

Originally posted by Aeolyn

Not that this likely "changed" the game for anyone else, but in UO I used to write books of poetry and leave them laying around(just trying to compete with Sherry the Mouse, she was everywhere!)... I'm pretty sure if any of my accounts were reactivated, most would have at least one copy still, as for the ones others kept in their libraries, I doubt any of those players are still around, most left after Publish 16. :/

What server was that, Aeolyn?

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Pac

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Pac

I have to see if I have any of them in my old Skara Brae stuff. That was a great server for both PVP and RP - really diverse and creative crowd on Pac!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Seen a few changes made as a result of my own suggestions (ramping respawn time in Planetside 1; reduced continent pop limits in Planetside 2 (used a mathematical proof to show how it would create better-balanced fights despite global pop imbalance))  Though honestly there were a lot of reasons why ramping respawn penalties were a bad idea and I'm happy they didn't bring them back with PS2.

(I'm assuming my work on games professionally doesn't count.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TheeLordTheeLord Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Sad reading through here and seeing how little impact current MMOs allow their players to have  =(   But the few stories of truly impactful stuff is cool to read!

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

There was a bard in EQ that took training people with mobs to a whole new level to prove his point to SOE. (I can't remember what the point was though. I think he disagreed with some definition about what constituted griefing people in their new ruleset.)

That guy contributed a lot to mobs being "on a leash". image

I don't think I can claim any credit for any big changes that ever took place on an MMO. Although... I was one of the people to endlessly badger Bioware about more story (and companions) content. image

Edit: The bard was "Fansy". Just did a Google to remember his name lol

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I didn't do anything unique that changed gameplay forever, but there were a lot of people in UO and EQ that did by coming up with various different ideas.  I don't know if it was just one person who started it or a group of people, but things like kiting, gathering together in trade areas, having camps/camp checks, trains, forming large groups to take on mobs they weren't supposed to, the way unbound items were used, etc. all had an impact on the way MMOs are designed today.  There are probably more I'm just not thinking of them. 
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    I would say if you've ever been a guild/clan/etc leader, or ranking official in such an organization, or community leader of sorts, you've made a lasting impact in some way.There may not be a statue with your name on it in game, but you helped take a lot of aspiring players and meld them into a community and kept the wheels on the bus from falling apart while everyone else goes out and has fun. Folks who stayed up late trying to calm the drama, people out recruiting new blood, leaders who put together raids and made sure everyone played by the rules: all everyday people who took a lot of grief and work and trouble and expected absolutely nothing in return to make that game a bit better place for everyone.Community is what makes MMOs special. An MMO never dies until the community falls out from under it - that's why we still hear a lot about COH and SWG - those communities are still around, they ~were~ the game, in spirit and in soul. I can log into my old EQ1 server and still find people who will remember long-since-disbanded guilds from over a decade ago, and many of those players are still around and playing today. Those older guilds have had a lasting impact in shaping how guilds that came after them were setup and run - both good and bad./salute to all of you unpaid and underappreciated volunteers who make these virtual worlds a living, breathing thing. You are truly the backbone of any online game.

Absolutely this. Even now 16 years later I have vivid memories of many players and much of the time spent alongside them; and especially those who helped. Gnarg and Whyye stand out; but there were quite many.

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    There was a bard in EQ that took training people with mobs to a whole new level to prove his point to SOE. (I can't remember what the point was though. I think he disagreed with some definition about what constituted griefing people in their new ruleset.)That guy contributed a lot to mobs being "on a leash". I don't think I can claim any credit for any big changes that ever took place on an MMO. Although... I was one of the people to endlessly badger Bioware about more story (and companions) content.  Edit: The bard was "Fansy". Just did a Google to remember his name lol

Fansy. (I remembered his name before reading you mention it haha). On the 'no rules' server, he exploited the no-pvp-before-level-5 rule; and trained Sand Giants on Evil characters in the Oasis of Marr; because, according to Fansy, Good aligned characters were getting slaughtered everywhere, and Fansy wanted a safe zone for them.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Well, if you go to Vendetta Online, play through the training missions and pass your basic flight status test, you will eventually run into a tree I've helped contribute, with much cooperation from others. Topics of interest include schizophrenia, artificial intelligence, programming, drugs, foreign cultures, spirituality, transformation, messages, language, industry, business, loyalty, growth, self-discovery, competition, parenthood, ancestry, meditation, altered states, time travel, and post-humanism.  I've drawn influence from William Gibson, Philip K Dick, Neal Stephenson, William James, and of course the devs of the game.

I've worked on this thing for at least seven years, and it feels as though it has started to take on a life of its own with several points of ingress and branching, intertwining arcs.

Knowing that it's there and that thousands have been playing it is an experience that's hard to define. Humbling would be a word for the feeling.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    In runescape pillars of the community are usually recognized with status. Like becoming a player moderator or forum moderator (or both). Only limited powers come with that of course. PMods have a silver crown next to their name in chat. They temp mute a player and their abuse reports go to the top of the pile and stay there until addressed. There is one player who became community manager as an actual JMod (Jagex Mod, which means godlike power in-game when logged into the right machine on the right account). Forum mods can do the usual mod stuff on the forums. I do recall some years a go a much liked player died of cancer. And, a lot of player petitioned to have a statue erected in his honor. Never happened though. Also, the really accomplished players tend to become famous in game because of the high scores list (top one mill active players are on high scores and they sit in the top 10).