Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So very very bad.

KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Review

Combat: 3/10
The combat has absolutely no weight to it, there's no proper dodge mechanic, and most "bosses" are simply HP pools with very slightly different mechanics.

Progression: 2/10
This system is clearly designed to push you into the cash shop later on. After quite a long time playing as a lightbinder I still do not have the option to play as anything other than the basic three classes. 
The way the ascension atlas system works has promise, but the acquisition of your obs is just stupid. "Here, go repeat these instances over and over in order to progress at all because you need the types of orbs it's dropping". 

Honestly those are the only two things i care about in an mmo and theyre both very much sub-par here. Graphics are cool, but those two are the foundation of gameplay, and that's what matter most to me. This will be a definite pass at launch unless things change drastically. Right now it's a lobby game with shitty combat. I could play Dragon's Nest and get better combat out of a lobby-style game. At least they have actual quests that grant xp and not reward you with a multiplier to go farm the same damn instance over and over.

I realize this is short, but honestly when the very core of the game is this crappy I cant justify playing any more to get any other impressions.

Comments

• misrosskmisrossk Member UncommonPosts: 23
    For what it was, I found the game fairly fun, but I agree with a lot of what you posted. The game feels.... wrong... in many ways that are kind of hard to explain. However, I found progression to actually be one of the upsides to the game. I suppose that is about all that differs from opinion to opinion though.
  • ThompsonSubThompsonSub Member UncommonPosts: 147

Agree completely.

Skyforge is a terrible game.

First off it's not even an mmorpg it's a lobby game and there is zero interaction with other players.

The entire game is instanced, even the open areas are instances...

The progression mechanic is just repeat, repeat, repeat the same instances over and over and over again.

Then do the same instances over and over and over again at "harder difficulty".

Don't feel anything like a "god", just some basic tab target mechanics, super spammy mouse clicking, no defense mechanism, incredibly bad control setup (that cannot be edited in the game, has to be edited in a text file).

The cash shop is already a nightmare in the RU open beta (Allods team, should have known better).

I regret buying the founders pack, be smart and wait until this thing goes free to play.

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by ThompsonSub

Agree completely.

First off it's not even an mmorpg it's a lobby game and there is zero interaction with other players.

The progression mechanic is just repeat, repeat, repeat the same instances over and over and over again.

Don't feel anything like a "god", just some basic tab target mechanics, super spammy mouse clicking, no defense mechanism, incredibly bad control setup (that cannot be edited in the game, has to be edited in a text file).

The cash shop is already a nightmare in the RU open beta (Allods team, should have known better).

I regret buying the founders pack, be smart and wait until this thing goes free to play.

Yeah I just played on the Russian server last week and was not impressed. It's unfortunate, the game is beautiful and the setting is interesting. It just seems like everything that comes out these days is either garbage or a cash grab...in this case both. Allods is one of my top favorite MMORPGs so I had high hopes that this would be better than it currently is.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• GosuRushaGosuRusha Member UncommonPosts: 8
    This game is so damn awful, why do they still make these total shit games? It's mind blowing how they would waste resources on this crap.
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

Review

Combat: 3/10
    The combat has absolutely no weight to it, there's no proper dodge mechanic, and most "bosses" are simply HP pools with very slightly different mechanics.

Progression: 2/10
    This system is clearly designed to push you into the cash shop later on. After quite a long time playing as a lightbinder I still do not have the option to play as anything other than the basic three classes. 
    The way the ascension atlas system works has promise, but the acquisition of your obs is just stupid. "Here, go repeat these instances over and over in order to progress at all because you need the types of orbs it's dropping". 

Honestly those are the only two things i care about in an mmo and theyre both very much sub-par here. Graphics are cool, but those two are the foundation of gameplay, and that's what matter most to me. This will be a definite pass at launch unless things change drastically. Right now it's a lobby game with shitty combat. I could play Dragon's Nest and get better combat out of a lobby-style game. At least they have actual quests that grant xp and not reward you with a multiplier to go farm the same damn instance over and over.

I realize this is short, but honestly when the very core of the game is this crappy I cant justify playing any more to get any other impressions.

May I ask how far did you get into the game, what prestige did you have?

I don't know how far he got to but I got 3500 prestige and almost died of boredom...

Terrible game.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

I don't know how far he got to but I got 3500 prestige and almost died of boredom...

Terrible game.

Have not played this, is 3500 a lot?  Also notice a surprising lack of Skyforge defenders/apologists.

I'm currently 48k prestige and absolutely love the game, the game is much similar to Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast many years back and I loved that.

However if you don't like grinding then Skyforge won't really appeal as the grind is huge, however personally I really enjoy it.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    As far as I'm concerned solo instances are the most idiotic anti-MMO feature a MMO could have. Why would you make a massively multiplayer game only to have everyone it their own personal bubble? It's missing the whole point, purpose, and potential of having the massively multiplayer capability.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You can take that logic back to your boring grindy archaic mmorpg, full of non-gameplay, you rose colored glasses wearing nostalgic angry-vet fanboi.

Originally posted by Nilden
    As far as I'm concerned solo instances are the most idiotic anti-MMO feature a MMO could have. Why would you make a massively multiplayer game only to have everyone it their own personal bubble? It's missing the whole point, purpose, and potential of having the massively multiplayer capability.

Sure there are some solo instances however wherever possible in the current beta CBT3 I've been partying with a friend, in CBT4 much more opens up in regards to partying.

• toastngravytoastngravy Wizard 101 CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Wylf

Terrible game.

Have not played this, is 3500 a lot?  Also notice a surprising lack of Skyforge defenders/apologists.

3500 isn't that much. You're more or less in a "tutorial" of the game until around 4k-ish prestige or so. Albeit content in the CBT is severely limited to what will be available later so I understand some people getting bored with it. It can also change your outlook on the game depending on what class you play. For example; Of the three starters I like the Paladin the most despite never having any interest in playing a tank-class in other MMO's. 

--

As for the solo-instances. There are some story missions that want you to run it solo but otherwise every squad adventure is 1-3 players, so bring your friends. In OBT there will be a system which automatically matches you with other players for these instances so it won't come up as a problem. You're still able to solo them if you're one of those players (See Warframe for example).  You'll also be able to select difficulty manually and join instances with friends of any prestige (albeit limited to the highest unlocked difficulty of the lowest member).

All in all, the game is actually quite fun and has a lot for you to do. On a personal level, I'd say the introductory content needs some changes to be a bit more enjoyable. They want to keep it simple so you're not overwhelmed which is great but it can seem a little too easy/boring early on due to this. Content gets more challenging and varied the further you go which is also great but that should have spilled into the "starting content" more than it did.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Dragon's Nest is actually a very good game. Went in thinking I'd play it for a weekend. Played it for about 3 months.  Surprised the shit out of me. 

If DN is truly better than SF, then I'm glad I didn't bother with it. 

Joined - July 2004

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Agree completely.

First few hundrid prestige is a yawn but if you get to 800+ you start to see the gem this game is. By 1000+ the boss fights were getting down right fun. What was your prestige level when you judged the game?

Funny I have play every stitch of content with my wife and other players. The solo missions scale to the number of players you have in your team and every bit of the content can be played teamed. MMOs like ESO my wife and I could not say the same.

There is 12 open world maps in total. You have to progress the story to unlock them. This stage of beta I think onle one open world zone maybe 2 are playable.

This is beta, not even a 1/3 of the zones and missions are in the game. So for now, yes there is a lot of repeating content if you wish to unlock classes.

See above

God mode is not in the game yet. You have to earn it when it is.

Not sure on this point.

The game is and always has been F2P.

Originally posted by DMKano
    The game simply didn't have any appeal to me. It was all very forgettable - the combat, the characters, the hilariously bad VO (placeholder from what I'm told). Bottom line, would I ever play this again - honestly, no.

The VO is a place holders. They are working on that for now.

Originally posted by Wylf

Terrible game.

In play time, thats like getting level 25-30 in WoW. At this point it is a lot of repeating content over and over if you wish to unlock classes. As I posted above, the reason why is at this stage of closed beta, only something like 30% of the content is in the game. Maybe less. I find it funny how fast we judge alpha and beta builds for the amount of content and bugs lol. Save that for al least open beta when they get the game nailed down. 

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    You can take that logic back to your boring grindy archaic mmorpg, full of non-gameplay, you rose colored glasses wearing nostalgic angry-vet fanboi.

Explains why I'm playing Project1999 EQ for the past four years. Those rose colored glasses must be prescription strength.

Or wait, maybe not everyone thinks like you do and likes the same things.

But feel free to continue with your ad-hominem nonsense.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Good_Apollo
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Explains why I'm playing Project1999 EQ for the past four years. Those rose colored glasses must be prescription strength.

Or wait, maybe not everyone thinks like you do and likes the same things.

But feel free to continue with your ad-hominem nonsense.

I was being sarcastic rofl.  It doesn't always come thru, but I'd hope at least Nilden knew that was me parroting the hollow arguments thrown around on these forums every day.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Skyforge was fun for a few days but that's about it. If it had another combat system and did not make you repeat those maps over and over it would have been a much better game.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly considering its still in testing I can't say what you see is the final product. What is said though, it does sound like it could end up sketchy. I'd say to hold off on speculation of the end product until you get a good idea of what it will be at the end. I would say ignore people giving excuses of it being 'in testing' (sorry, but games that are opening it up for people to play to enter are NOT excused from being half assed done, and likely if its open for testing the majority of at least the early game content IS there) but at the same time wait and give a look when its closer to its finished state.

I don't think discrediting the game completely is right, just be cautious of it and give it a peek later down wehn its closer to its release state. If it is still missing much as far as entertainment, then chances are it won't ever have that stuff put into place.

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155

Having played the RU OBT I was considering spending more time with the game when it launches in EU but the latest news about Pantheon Wars just made me go 'nope'. Come on. Your top endgame activities will be accessible if you win a bid war between guilds. The bids are placed using special guild currency which is bought with credits (ordinary in-game currency) which can be bought with RL money.

Just f... brilliant -_-

Skyforge is a pay to win mess.

The recent announcement about the Pantheon Wars just confirms it.

So many things wrong about everything they are doing.

But since it is pay to win it will survive on whales and new dummies that try to compete

for a couple months and then quit.

The F2P gaming market is getting pretty horrible, I wonder what it will be like in another

5 or 6 more years of this insanity.

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155

The F2P gaming market is getting pretty horrible, I wonder what it will be like in another

5 or 6 more years of this insanity.

Im worried Ill have to abandon the MMO genre altogether if it continues heading in that direction :/

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Honestly, the game is a snoozefest. Sure, it looks cool and unique. I didn't expect much, but even the most basic fun is just not there. The combat plays much less fun than the videos indicate, you go through small instances/regions, so there is no "world" at all. *sigh* Wasted 18 Euro.

I won't waste more time by writing a lengthy impression, just tossing in my 2 cents that the game is boring, and not worth even for a shallow entertainment.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

This game reminds me of Phantasy Star Online. I love Phantasy Star Online, if it delivers even 50% of the fun I had in that game then I consider it a great game. So far Beta is decent, for a F2P game it all seems quite ok unless you want to be extremely competitive, I for one never feel that e-peen waving urge, might throw some money their way if this game really grabs me.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

This discussion has been closed.