Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch: New Hero Announced - Soldier: 76

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard is revealing the first new Overwatch hero since the originals were unveiled along with the game itself at last year's Blizzcon. Called "Soldier: 76", he is a highly trained warrior who uses a variety of weapons to make his point.

You can read Soldier: 76's backstory on the Overwatch site or watch his origin video below as well as see him in action in the second video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Why. Why couldn't they just take this world and make it work as a persistent online universe? I call shenanigans.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Why. Why couldn't they just take this world and make it work as a persistent online universe? I call shenanigans.

Probably because they saw more money into doing it this way. =/

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

They, probably more than anyone, know how much maintaining an MMO sucks.

Devs WANT to work on fun games, to try and do new things, not be tied to supporting the same title for a decade.

How many original WoW devs are still on the project? Most of them moved on. Went to other companies, worked on other projects, etc.

The every-few-years cycle for a new game is so much more enjoyable than the 10 year burn.

IMO

• dplcafdplcaf Member UncommonPosts: 59

Lol Bill, that was kind of the vibe I got from the video. I was thinking " this seems like it would have fit in just well with titan".

Anyhow, this will be another game I pass up. Sooooo many shooters out there.... Maybe one day Blizzard will actually try something new and refreshing, but this lets mimic all the best games on the market attitude blizz has come up kinda makes me sick.

I'm not saying its going to be a bad game at all, just saying I won't be playing it.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I have been thinking the same thing since Overwatch was announced. Such great characters and an interesting world wasted (in my opinion) on yet another arena game. I guess it doesn't matter now, it's a done deal. I think game devs are drawn to this type of game (as well as DOTA, Hearthstone, etc) because they don't have to create a bunch of content and story before release and they can start making cash sooner. Look at whats happened to Fable.  I say BS. They can keep all of their arena games. As cool as the characters are, I won't be playing it. I'm sure plenty of others will. I would have rather seen an Overwatch CG movie than an arena game.
  • dplcafdplcaf Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by marcuslm
     I would have rather seen an Overwatch CG movie than an arena game.

LOL, I agree.. Now that is something I would have paid for

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Overwatch will become an mmorpg, they need to have 3 factions, it will then rip off Firefall, Planetside 2, and Team Fortress 2, mix in some blizzard special sauce and presto, we are watching the next big thing right before our own eyes. I hope they steal some ideas from BattleBorn too.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    When you look at TF2 and how long it has been making money for Valve and the small amount of work that has gone into it over the last few years, can you blame Blizzard for going that route too?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    when it comes to shooters anyhow, who are you catering to? CSGo folks? Cod folks? trying to make traditional mmorpgers like shooters? I'm not seeing any connection that shooter mmorpg is really a good idea anyway.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Aweeeeeeesome.  This is my favorite hero yet.  Can't wait till they add him to Heroes of the Storm LOL!!
  • swarmdieswarmdie Member UncommonPosts: 67

They did then scrapped the project and kept only a portion of it.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Many of the features of this game are ones rumored to be in Titan. I think they turned Titan into this BG FPS game. Why? No clue.