Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO needs a Old school official UO server.

Donovan321Donovan321 Member CommonPosts: 28

The game was so much fun in 97!

I also think it would be worth it, as it would call back many hard core gamers!

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    there were (are?) great options for this and they never did as well as you might think.   After I left UO and went to DAoC, I came back later to find that people basically were using cookie cutter builds the same as we see today.  If you played in '97 then you enjoyed the growth, awe and wonder of an industry and community that will never have the same freshness.   If they did open one, I would play though, at least for a month.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

This will most likely never happen.  A couple of years back they talked about bringing back an old school shard and even took a poll.  However the people that voted were current UO subscribers and most of them said they would have no interest in an old school shard.

Plus, which is the best time period to go back to?  Everyone has different opinions.  Some say T2A, some say Renaissance, some even say launch UO. 

Ultima is still very much more in depth than most on the market, so you can always go back and have a house, a boat, adventure, etc...  Most game don't even offer most of that.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Its time to shut this MMO down and make UO2 in today's Graphics with and UI.  
  • RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Its time to shut this MMO down and make UO2 in today's Graphics with and UI.  

Agreed, but to the original poster's point, do you release a T2A / Renaissance era version of the game, where there was a much higher risk vs reward component & seemingly less dependence on items.....or do you go down the modern MMO path, where a gamer's experience is more guided & protected and a more item based progression system? 

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by MacroPlanet

This will most likely never happen.  A couple of years back they talked about bringing back an old school shard and even took a poll.  However the people that voted were current UO subscribers and most of them said they would have no interest in an old school shard.

Plus, which is the best time period to go back to?  Everyone has different opinions.  Some say T2A, some say Renaissance, some even say launch UO. 

Ultima is still very much more in depth than most on the market, so you can always go back and have a house, a boat, adventure, etc...  Most game don't even offer most of that.

That's a shame, and I think a lack of positive feedback that had more to do with the small audience that knew about the opportunity more so than based off the merits of offering a classic server.

Had EA did just a little bit of outreach & marketing of this offering, I think they would have had a better reception. 

If Lineage 2 can muster up 10s of thousands of gamers interested in a classic Korean grind fest.....mostly because of it's open sandbox nature (similar to UO), then I think EA surely could muster enough interest to support a private server....ESPECIALLY given the fact that it can't cost all that much to support / maintain a game like UO (relatively speaking).

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Originally posted by RajCaj
    Originally posted by MacroPlanet

That's a shame, and I think a lack of positive feedback that had more to do with the small audience that knew about the opportunity more so than based off the merits of offering a classic server.

Had EA did just a little bit of outreach & marketing of this offering, I think they would have had a better reception. 

If Lineage 2 can muster up 10s of thousands of gamers interested in a classic Korean grind fest.....mostly because of it's open sandbox nature (similar to UO), then I think EA surely could muster enough interest to support a private server....ESPECIALLY given the fact that it can't cost all that much to support / maintain a game like UO (relatively speaking).

I think what EA sees is a game that cost hardly anything to run and to upkeep yet is still pulling in a decent amount of subscriptions to maintain their cost.  It's probably the reason why we don't see much done to the game anymore just because it barely makes anything yet barely costs anything.

As much as I would love to see a UO2, it just will never happen; especially in the form that most UO players would like to see it.  Gone are the days of traditional MMO's.  Hell, even WoW's formula is extremely outdated and not hardly replicated anymore.  These 'MMORPG's' of today are purely about action and single player than escaping in another world.

It seems like if we want a more traditional mmorpg, we have to look at kickstarter games and we all know how that goes...

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I don't understand why they won't just do it. It literally cost no money. I can put up a UO server right within 30 minutes. The devs are morons. Watch their videos, it is a bunch of clueless dorks who never, ever played in the early days. They have no idea what they are doing.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Cothor

I don't understand why they won't just do it. It literally cost no money. I can put up a UO server right within 30 minutes. The devs are morons. Watch their videos, it is a bunch of clueless dorks who never, ever played in the early days. They have no idea what they are doing.

You do understand that just slapping a server up, and running it is not that easy. With a official server they would have to have some one monitor it, and help with problems. Also if it is that easy go do it up. You are the reason no one would play on the server, pvp only servers are the worst. All they attract is hateful people hell bent on trying to make some one feel bad in a video game to make them selves feel better. Hense why no one wants them to waste time on a server like that.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by Cothor

You do understand that just slapping a server up, and running it is not that easy. With a official server they would have to have some one monitor it, and help with problems. Also if it is that easy go do it up. You are the reason no one would play on the server, pvp only servers are the worst. All they attract is hateful people hell bent on trying to make some one feel bad in a video game to make them selves feel better. Hense why no one wants them to waste time on a server like that.

Must be someone that never played Pre UO:R. Hell, you're probably an AOS player or later.

Makes Seers active again and put maybe one GM for the shard. It wouldn't be all that difficult as UO have never really did all that much monitoring as it is. That why we could dupe gold for years. lol

As for your last statement. All and yes I speak for "ALL" old school UO veteran would love a T2A / pre T2A server, hell even a UO:R server. Although, you are correct it would be a much different game then it was 1998. Now the MMO world has too many choices for people. The people that used to play purely for PvE and crafting I'm sure wouldn't touch the server. So, in essence it would most likely be a purely PvP much like Abyss Test Center was.

Also, it literally does take 30 minutes - an hour to open a T2A server. Hence why there are so many player run servers of this game. People would prefer a official server for stability reasons. Player run servers tend to go poof overnight as they are not maintained. Not saying all of them just most.

No I played uo when it first came out. Where you traded in the gold you carried, axes if you werent trained couldn't kill rabbits, mages hunted on the road between vesper and minoc. Mining was a contact sport and if you ran alone you best master hiding. Armor was ar, and the world was a scary place. 

Your right though uo never did monitor the server. They still ddon't now. I guess your right they could easily do it. It is wierd that they don't. I don't know why. My guess from with broadsword they don't care at all. They look to me like a bunch of fat lazy people who just want a easy living, and could care less about the game or improving it. They could host all versions on the game on a official server. They could also make it free to play too, could put it on steam. I dono what they are doing. I just play there ha-ha. 

• cyclonite51cyclonite51 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    It would only work if they planned on developing and updating regularly otherwise the server would be a ghost town after a couple months.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i never played UO but i played some of the Ultima single player games on Super Nintendo, and i currently have Ultima VIII: Pagan on Origin. I like the Ultima series but i wont play an ultima game without a gamepad. They played gloriously on Super Nintendo, i cant bother clicking around on the PC version.

As for the server, it's EA behind the wheel so we will probably never see another server for UO... specially one that will only attract a small percentage of nostalgic hardcore players. Unless they make a new UO2 like someone said before. But it's still EA so it will end up being a crappy cash grab. I rather wait for Shroud of the Avatar and play that.

Ea isn't be hind the wheel, as you put it. It is a company called broadsword.

• Donovan321Donovan321 Member CommonPosts: 28

I also would like an official ftp server....

It would get millions of players.

Come on..............

Why just sit there with such profit that could be made.

This would get people into sandboxes again. Ultima Online, Pre trammel was the way I would like to see development in mmo's and the base of players playing sandboxes with extreme depth and risk vs rewards.

• Donovan321Donovan321 Member CommonPosts: 28

Broadsword....

Make a name for your company. :o)

Free to play servers with millions of players. This would get your name out there.

What are you all missing here?

What do you all make? 4 dollars a hour from the current populations of ultima online?

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    there were (are?) great options for this and they never did as well as you might think.   After I left UO and went to DAoC, I came back later to find that people basically were using cookie cutter builds the same as we see today.  If you played in '97 then you enjoyed the growth, awe and wonder of an industry and community that will never have the same freshness.   If they did open one, I would play though, at least for a month.

Not true, there hasn't been one server that has recaptured the original spirit well. They ALL changed it to their liking. You'll find some, including the most popular even have to state that they are close to original (ie; not the same as pre-trammel).

Originally posted by Donovan321

Broadsword....

Make a name for your company. :o)

Free to play servers with millions of players. This would get your name out there.

What are you all missing here?

What do you all make? 4 dollars a hour from the current populations of ultima online?

They make more than that. A rough guess by running through Atlantic , with the other servers. There are something like 10000+ houses each house linked to a 15 dollar account. So with a conservative estimate just on subs they make 100k a month. Plus they have a cash shop. Your right though they would make a ton more money if it went free to play. The problem they would have though is their servers couldn't handle it, they don't care in the slightest if the game works or not, cheating hacking scripting duping is all ready on a rampage. So if they did it they would effectively make a lot of money and kill off the game I think. Since they are fat lazy and just want easy money. ATM they do almost nothing and still make a lot of money. Your asking them to give up easy money and actually works and care about the game.
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Free-to-Play + Sub required to own a house + No other restrictions = $$$. Doesn't even have to be pre-AoS and it would still make a killing. I know I'd be back.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Not true, there hasn't been one server that has recaptured the original spirit well. They ALL changed it to their liking. You'll find some, including the most popular even have to state that they are close to original (ie; not the same as pre-trammel).

Is it the pre-trammelness that made it that way?  Did Trammel ruin it for you?  The game seemed to do better when Trammel came out.  Are you saying the forced nature of pre-trammel is what you want?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

BTW OP UO has a Pre Trammel server its called siege perilous which is not populated at all.  I know I been there.  Very few players play on it.  

UO need to be shut down and remade with today's Graphic and some minor changes a better UI and such.  Plus UO 2.0 would need to get rid of their old Die and loose all your loot if you dont get back to your body BS.  That was great when we were 18 not at 35.  Item Decay 100% needed though.  Make it so that if I carelessly die often my gear goes bye bye.  I will still need new gear every so often however its not in dire need all the time like UO pre item insurance.  

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

BTW OP UO has a Pre Trammel server its called siege perilous which is not populated at all.  I know I been there.  Very few players play on it.  

UO need to be shut down and remade with today's Graphic and some minor changes a better UI and such.  Plus UO 2.0 would need to get rid of their old Die and loose all your loot if you dont get back to your body BS.  That was great when we were 18 not at 35.  Item Decay 100% needed though.  Make it so that if I carelessly die often my gear goes bye bye.  I will still need new gear every so often however its not in dire need all the time like UO pre item insurance.  

Full loot is not bullshit. You may not like it, and that's fine, but please don't pretend like it's outdated or inferior.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I was just reading the ruleset for Siege Perilous and understand why no one plays it. The ruleset is brutal. Sorry but that's not a true pre-trammel server. 3x the cost to buy NPC items, NPC's wont buy your items, no recall spell. etc. Yea, no.....

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.