Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Final Fantasy Franchise vs The Elder Scroll Franchise

SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
Very simple which of these 2 popular franchises you choose(single player and online so ff1-15 and tes 1-6)
No way Im comparing the 2 franchises on gameplay or other differences just which of the 2 is more popular, I love and play both.

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Think I'd say FF franchise, console gamers dominate the market.

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I know for a fact that ff started very long ago and many rpg players started and loved rpg with ff but recent thread poster here was saying tes is more popular then ff and I doubt that very much so a quick poll should do it not 100% accurate but a general idea.
    maybe Im just imagining things so I'll keep an eye on this poll, thanks.
  • ErepioErepio Member CommonPosts: 3

im an FF fanboy always will be BUT

i feel its not a fair comparison since Elder Scrolls is a western sandbox game where u can do basicly do whatever you want, be whoever you want etc while the FF series is JRPG where the main focus is the story, the nerrative and the characters you meet 

it even reflects in the online games where in ESO the main story is in the "backround" and u can honeslty just ignore most the most part it if u rly wanted while FFXI and FFXIV (more recently) gates progress and a lot of the side features with story that you NEED to do into order to experience the full game

Originally posted by Erepio

im an FF fanboy always will be BUT i feel its not a fair comparison since Elder Scrolls is a western sandbox game where u can do basicly do whatever you want, be whoever you want etc while the FF series is JRPG where the main focus is the story, the nerrative and the characters you meet  it even reflects in the online games where in ESO the main story is in the "backround" and u can honeslty just ignore most the most part it if u rly wanted while FFXI and FFXIV (more recently) gates progress and a lot of the side features with story that you NEED to do into order to experience the full game

I understand the differences but the poll is about popularity not how they are played.
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Even a lot of people who aren't in the gamer demographic know about Final Fantasy. If you ask a random person about The Elder Scrolls, you're probably just going to get a blank stare if they're not gaming-inclined.
  • devilregimadevilregima Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I love Elder Scrolls however in my social circle even non gamers know of final fantasy franchise compared to the elder scrolls. Very long Heritage
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

According to IGN FF is third from Zelda and Mario of the most popular franchises

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/12/05/the-top-25-videogame-franchises

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Elder Scrolls, I've played just about every FF and TES game, but I have yet to play a TES game that I did not enjoy.  FF on the other hand has some really bad stinkers, and hasn't really done anything good since FFX in the RPG department (FFXI and FFXIV-2 are both great though).  And I can't stand the new Battle System of the newer games.  The old turn-based was so awesome, why would you ever change it...
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

I am surprised people consider FF even competitive anymore.  FFXIII was awful, and they kept focusing on it.  The reason they are picking now to go and finally do the FFVII remake is because they are losing trust in their team to make good original games.  I really hope XV isn't terrible, too, or all we will have from Squeenix are remakes.

Elder Scrolls, on the other hand, has never had a bad game and keeps on improving with each release.

What this boils down to is western RPG vs JRPG, and the JRPG big games have been in decline for awhile now.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    FF is way more popular and always will be. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

According to IGN FF is third from Zelda and Mario of the most popular franchises

I agree that its still pretty popular. 

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    only going to say elder scroll cause Final fantasy seems to have fallen off the charts since 12...  changing combat systems was probably there worse choice and ff14arr is doens't bring anything new to the MMO aspect.  Elder scroll has gotten better each time... There online game is pretty solid to.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I remember the Final Fantasy franchise since the first one.  Elder Scrolls seems like it just came out the last few years (I know it has been around longer then that).

So I say FF.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I have played and enjoyed both over the years.  I voted FF as more popular simply because of the sheer number of Eastern folks who play it, alongside us on this side of the pond.  I just don't think TES has the Eastern/Asian following that FF does.

That being said, both franchises are great fun, perhaps for different play styles, but they are wonderful in their own rights.  Why people feel the need to bash each other in a forum over this is beyond me.  Can't we all just be happy two such franchises even exist, and continue to make games?  Oh wait, that's right, this is a forum.....lol.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

This list is from 2006 c'mon

l2p

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    most popular FF  , but thats because FF has been on consoles and even PC for years, Elders scrolls has been on pc until last gen...
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Skuall
    most popular FF  , but thats because FF has been on consoles and even PC for years, Elders scrolls has been on pc until last gen...

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were all on consoles and pc.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Final Fantasy has been around a lot longer, and its probably just as popular on PC as it is on Console, although FFXIII series did hurt the franchise imo, but the same could be said for ESO, while TES is also fairly popular and well known, people tend to lump ESO in with the rest of the TES games, mostly unaware that they are not made by the same company, i suspect that if ESO had not been made, that TES might have won the popularity contest vs Final Fantasy.image
  • NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'm looking at this in a simple way, but not quite how the poll asked the question.

I can only choose to play games from one franchise for the rest of my life.

It isn't close. Final Fantasy.

- Nellus

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by SoloAnything
    Very simple which of these 2 popular franchises you choose(single player and online so ff1-15 and tes 1-6) No way Im comparing the 2 franchises on gameplay or other differences just which of the 2 is more popular, I love and play both.

Here i fixed your poll

My vote:

[  ] Final Fantasy

[  ] Elder Scrolls

[x] Both

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

This is an interesting poll for me. Statistically Final Fantasy is a GIANT franchise compared to The Elder Scrolls.

Single player wise though I vastly prefer TES. As you can see when it comes to the two MMOs I've stuck with FFXIV. Admittedly I haven't really given ESO much of a shot since beta, which left alot to be desired in my opinion.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This poll is way too simplistic.

You may as well be comparing the witcher series of chrono trigger. All good games, all within (roughly) the same genre, but completely different styles, gameplay, and mechanics.

I like both on the whole, but Final Fantasy has had more than double the number of games as the Elder Scrolls franchise. And out of those numerous additional titles, many of them suck. However there are enough good ones to overlook those. Similar to the Star Wars franchise, most of those games suck (roughly half of them), but there are so many games (in bulk) that there are a good amount of them that are actually good.

Elder Scrolls on the other hand, is mostly good games, but not as many. They are also more action based, whereas FF is more of a traditional JRPG franchise.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

a franchise with +13 titles that is more popular among console gamers vs a franchise with + 5 titles that is more popular among PC gamers...which one could be more popular....could it be FF? yes i am a genius. quality-wise though right now, TES is better i mean look at FF12 and 13...uuuugh. it's like watching a bad anime.

(as for their MMOs, FF11 is better than both FF14ARR and ESO. between ESO and FF14ARR, when ESO was p2p, FF14ARR was a better choice imo but now both are good choices, i still prefer FF14ARR though)

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

Reason for the simplistic poll was another poster here was claiming TES franchise is more popular then FF franchise and I wasn't digging that.