Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a New MMORPG

2»

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't know the new games, but one of the older ones that's sort of close to this list would be Fallen Earth.  However, I have no info on current status, P2W etc.

It had a half decent reputation, at least that I saw, for a while.  I've noticed I seldom see it even mentioned lately.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The battle lasted a total of about 3 hours, involved well over 1000 rezes and had an attendance of nearly 200 people.

So a Rez-Zerg with an average of five deaths each?

I'd call that dedication and determination, but not necessarily "skill".

But in a PvP guild, I guess it's a fair substitute. "You got your arse handed to you, okay, now get back in there and do it again until we win!"
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

I don't know the new games, but one of the older ones that's sort of close to this list would be Fallen Earth.  However, I have no info on current status, P2W etc.

It had a half decent reputation, at least that I saw, for a while.  I've noticed I seldom see it even mentioned lately.

Fallen Earth is a great example of how the MMO community eats it young.  

A great game that deserved a better fate but was trashed, like so many others, before it had a chance to grow.

It's still alive and kicking though, probably because it is one of the few games that offers an alternative to the standard themepark type of play.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Try Trove. It does not have impactful death, but most of the other things you listed it does have.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by ChanceCrowley

Honestly I used to play LoL but I'm tired of losing to afks and i want to get back into MMORPGS BUT....

my criteria is

1) good community of people who aren't all 16 yearold pvp junkies

2) not WoW because its too easy

3) id love to avoid tab targeting

4) i don't wanna stand and stare at a sign post for 10 mins then magically be in a dungeon (cough) vindictus

5) I want an open world

6) i want action

7) i want a good crafting system

8) non linear skill system

9) housing would be nice

10) a system where dieing is actually impactful and it is important to keep your character alive

11) costumes

12) i REALLY dont wanna Pay to win

Ive played Mabinogi, tibia, Tera, Elder scrolls online, Wild star, Archage and pretty much beta tested everything before that too

I would recommend trying games with free trials first and foremost, or those that are free to play naturally.

Initial disclosure:  I currently play FFXIV and have expressed disappointment in WoW's current expansion support.  So bias may be shown with both of those games.

Sub only games (both tab-target):

Final Fantasy XIV:  If you enjoy JRPGs and a narrative, Final Fantasy is a must try.  It has a lot of depth, complexity and difficulty tied to it, and, like FFXI, you will need a lot of patience and drive to get far.  Though you actually feel like you've accomplished something when you do.  The crafting is amazing -- each craft and gathering class are treated as their own classes with levels, equipment, storyline, rotations, etc.  In terms of classes, you can level all of them on one character, and then cross class abilities you've earned and use them with different classes (essentially making your own unique hybrid within reason).  Housing is pretty great when you can afford it (it costs millions of gil to get a house, though -- and you have to finish the 2.0 storyline).  1-50 areas are beautifully made, but some of them might be small, even if you don't notice it by how well they are designed.  50-60 are more open worldish in the same vein as Witcher 3 with Flying Mounts and multi-tier landscapes to fly up to.  The community is nice as a whole and has matured well in the past two years its been out.  Dying sends you back to a city if you don't get resurrected -- not too punishing, but it can cost some gil in teleportation fees, as well as take time to ride back.  There are dying cutscenes in 3.0 whereby if you fail, you see a cutscene of your character dying (one of the new Primals has this, which I thought was a need addition).  In terms of action, if you're looking for Hack and Slash, neither sub games are for you.  FFXIV can get pretty hectic at 50+ with all the things to do, though.  The depth really builds as you level (and get more classes for their abilities), as well as the new expansion having enemies that are actually a thread.  You can seriously die to just one enemy, and they take a little while to bring down.  It actually feels like you're fighting something as opposed to "bam, bam!" you're dead.  Plus, the narrative story turns into something great the further you go in.  Amazing music and villain designs, as well.  When it comes to dungeons, you have to unlock them via story or other attunements, and then actually ride to them.  However, once you do that, you will be able to sign up for them any any point in the world.  Best of all, it has Bi-tri updates that are absolutely huge.  Last expansion, they had 3 dungeons, a raid, a primal fight, half dozen new systems, various updates, dozens of main storyline, several side stories that were really great, etc.  Per patch.  Including Chocobo racings, Marriage, housing, Gold Saucer (with FFVII's music), Triple Triad, Monster Hunting, Treasure Hunting, etc.  The actual combat is a mixture of rotation and combos; you rotate combos, in essence.  One ability + another ability equals a +200 attack potency combo, somewhat similar to FFXI.  Each rotation might have something like adding a buff, debuff or simply raw damage.  Dragoons had a 32 button rotation in 2.0, and they still added a fourth tier combo, five new abilities and a new finisher to the class.  The game is very much, "if you can, try it, if you cannot, then do not" and doesn't make concessions just because people whine of difficulty.

WoW:  If you've never played it before, it can be really fun and you'll likely have a lot to do.  The community is known to be the equivalent to League of Legends in terms of MMOs, but you can turn off general and whispers and such and join a guild (if you can find one that's active) and use that as a social hub.  Has a great friending system whereby you can friend people from other servers and even play with them when in a party (a feature I would like to see in other games and kudos to WoW for putting it in).  The game is exceedingly easy nowadays and you will find no challenge 1-100 unless you pug 80-85 dungeons whereby they have very easy to read one shot mechanics in them.  Pugs usually get owned by them, sadly, despite this.  Which artificially makes the 80-85 moderately challenging in that you have to restrain yourself from pulling your hair out.  Fun questing 1-60 and 80-100; probably one of the best questing in the business.  But the current end game content is dry and not great at all.  They seem to update roughly every 6 months, and these updates have very little content.  They're also known to stop supporting an expansion half way through its lifecycle with 12-15 months of content drought.  If you're into raiding, that seems to be the main focus in their latest patch -- with their previous patch focusing on twitter integration and selfie screenshots.  In one of their recent interviews, they admitted that they didn't want their character classes to have any depth or complexity, or at least not to the point where they require addons.  "We don't want you to play Demonology warlock", says developer Ion Hazziskostas ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRk0MHcwZ74 ).  Make note that he goes into detail as to why this is in the full interview, but it is just a reason as to why they don't want complexity in their game.  A new feature in their current expansion is basically a Face Book game of managing followers who go out for eight or so hours (days with the new shipard) to bring you back treats.  In all, this is not a game that I believe is worth the subscription based on the content it gives and the rate it gives it when compared to competition.  But it certainly has a legacy about it and you could argue that you're just paying for brand name popular MMOs at this point.

F2P Games:

SWTOR:  Star Wars:  The Old Republic has been gaining momentum in the past few years.  Its most recent idea is to once more focus on story.  This is amazing news, as they have great story for their classes.  At present, they also have a subscriber benefit of getting 12x experience for main story quests if you want to play it.

Neverwinter:  Fun for a playthrough or two.  Is considered to be very Pay to Win.  But a time consumer that is based off of the Neverwinter Franchise.  Again, fun to play... but it is considered highly Pay to Win.

Tera:  Just came out with (or about to) a new expansion.  I got bored with this title pretty early on, but it has a few new classes and might be the best time to try it out.  Has action combat, but I can't say much else due to lack of overall experience.

Age of Conan:  If I remember, it has an open world.  Interesting ideas for combat.  Not able to comment on much else.  It had a demo of the starting city, fully voiced if I recall... only to have the full game not be thus and be fairly barren in terms of content.  This pissed a lot of people of, and I've personally not went back since.

B2P Games:

Guild Wars 2:  New expansion on the horizon that may require level 80 character to unlock new classes.  Doesn't have a monthly fee and the cash shop is decent.  Great to play through your first character, but the end game is severely lacking.

Elder Scrolls Online:  Popular on the consoles, yet people still cling to it not being a good game on computers as a whole.  Though most are likely just upset that they feel like beta testers for the console version while they paid a subscription for the year it was in development for the console platforms.  I've tried it several times, but kept on getting game breaking bugs.

The Secret World:  Ambitious and with unique quests and a decent story.  Has the ability to earn all abilities in game and pick seven or so to use at a time to make your own class.  It's known to have horrible battle animations.  Today marks its three year anniversary and there are events going on in game at the moment.

There are also many games on the horizon to look forward to.

The secret world update animations a little while back there allot better now, I like them personally especially elementalism and blade.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    try Ark Survival Evolved. It will ruin your life. Why?Its addictive as duck!
  • BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Hothlove

Also PvP is really the biggest challenge an MMO can have. People who are good at PvP are much better pve'ers. Just look at 

Everquest the PvP server Zek was the only server ever to down 'The Sleeper'.

No NO and NOOOOO! Everquest is not like other MMO's that have PVP. IE it is and has always been balanced on PVE and not PVP. A Tank is a Tank and can't beat anyone PVP because he does very little damage but can take a beating. A healer can't PVP worth a crap because they don't do DPS but can heal through damage.

OTHER MMO's (including WOW) are balanced on PVP because people whine like babies if every player can't kill anyone around. Or they are balanced like other true PVP games where each side/race are identical. Both of these equal NO DIVERSITY and make the game bland. Everquest is NOT like that.

PVP ruins true PVE games. The reason is what I said above. You can't have diversity of classes. You can't have a Tank just be a Tank because people want every class to be able to SOLO, Kill anything, do anything and will cry till there is no tomorrow until it happens.

SO no PVP does not make you a better player. It makes the game easier. IF it has any bearing in EQ its because people have to play in groups and defend one another. They learn to protect their healer because he is weak. They learn to avoid the Tank till last because he is able to soak up their hits and will take forever to kill. Other PVP games don't have that need because each class is dangerous.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    it is not finished yet, but i would say try repopulation
  • HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Lol I get it your like me who haven't had much fun in/or played an MMO for a long time the last 5 years. I don't know if they are much different today but they sure are alot easier to level up in and endgame isn't exactly the only thing an mmo should offer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Repopulation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFAjkwWu284

Gloria Victis:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDNQxZx36Q

Albion online:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbmZPRY6VI

You can try all three for a fee they are in early access and buy to play alfa althou Albion only has 3 more weeks left before going back to closed sessions.

• gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    Try Rohan Blood Feud. (y)
  • gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    It's worth trying..since they've also opened up their summer events..give it a shot :P
  • lunalovebadlunalovebad Member CommonPosts: 19
    If you haven't tried Rohan go check it out, they have this new race called Trinity and events every week/month.  If you have the patience, wait for Black desert and Blade and soul. 
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The game that fits all your criteria doesn't exist. Fallen Earth comes relatively close though.

1) good community of people who aren't all 16 yearold pvp junkies

Yep, the community is a bit more mature.

2) not WoW because its too easy

Yep, it's not WoW.

3) id love to avoid tab targeting

Yep, you have to aim.

4) i don't wanna stand and stare at a sign post for 10 mins then magically be in a dungeon (cough) vindictus

I went only to one or two dungeons so far, but I actually travelled there.

5) I want an open world

It's 100% open. All people on the server play in the same world without invisible walls or loading screens.

6) i want action

The game has lots of open landscapes but also areas with lots of action.

7) i want a good crafting system

Has one of the best and deepest crafting systems I know. About all items in the game are crafted.

8) non linear skill system

You have no fixed classes, you assign attributes any way you want, and those determine how good you are with what skills and what you can learn. You can learn all crafting professions too if you are patient enough.

9) housing would be nice

It has a construction profession with which you can build tents and farms and so on, but I think that housing is not included.

10) a system where dieing is actually impactful and it is important to keep your character alive

If you die you respawn at a cloning facility and have to walk back to where you left your horse or car or bike or whatever.

11) costumes

I think it has some item slots for style items.

12) i REALLY dont wanna Pay to win

All MMORPGs these days are pay2win, but last time I played FE, it was acceptable.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)