Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG Simple that my fiance can get into

XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Hey everyone, ultimately I'm looking for an MMO that my fiance can enjoy.

Looking for?: an MMORPG that is simple enough for a casual non gamer to get into. Think City of Heroes, how things were easy to understand. Abilities were all push to activate and then placed on Cooldown.

Games she has previously played?: City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, a little bit of GW2 and FFXIV, SWtOR.

Playstyle (Casual,Semi-Casual,Hardcore)?: Casual

Any preferred mechanics?: Simple to understand overall, can get in depth so long as it isn't quickly over complicated.

Thanks!

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Which game did she like the most? and what does she end up doing outside of the "progression feedback loop" in the game?

Though from the list she might end up liking Tera if she wants faster paced combat.   She won't even need to learn new mechanics out side of dodging in combat since it's pretty much more of the same.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Nothing by FunCom, Turbine or Daybreak.

Anything by Cryptic

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MissAdventureMissAdventure Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Grunty

Anything by Cryptic

I disagree.  Going by the game's she's played so far, I think she would really enjoy LoTRO and EQ2.  Both have great communities, and are very casual friendly. 

Originally posted by MissAdventure

Anything by Cryptic

I disagree.  Going by the game's she's played so far, I think she would really enjoy LoTRO and EQ2.  Both have great communities, and are very casual friendly. 

The communities are good. I don't consider having 20+ skills available for use to be casual.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Anything by Cryptic

The communities are good. I don't consider having 20+ skills available for use to be casual.

She played WoW and SWTOR, both of which have extensive hotbars.  Your criteria for what makes a game casual is..interesting. 

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by Xithryl
    Hey everyone, ultimately I'm looking for an MMO that my fiance can enjoy.

Looking for?: an MMORPG that is simple enough for a casual non gamer to get into. Think City of Heroes, how things were easy to understand. Abilities were all push to activate and then placed on Cooldown.

Games she has previously played?: City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, a little bit of GW2 and FFXIV, SWtOR.

Playstyle (Casual,Semi-Casual,Hardcore)?: Casual

Any preferred mechanics?: Simple to understand overall, can get in depth so long as it isn't quickly over complicated.

Thanks!

If your fiance is a fan of games like Diablo and is a fan of Marvel at all I highly recommend Marvel Heroes. It's the best community I've been apart of in all of my gaming history.Great dev team and a great free 2 play model.

If they are a fan of the books or movies by J.R.R. Tolkein then LOTRO is worth checking out. I tried it for a short time. Very easy to play and get into. Good helpful community and fun.

Neverwinter is a good MMORPG for what is it. It's probably better on console and it probably has more population on there as well. There are a few things I do want to mention though. I had a mailbox bug for a year when I left the game and when I went back it was never fixed still despite numerous emails. The bug is still there over 2 years now. The customer service is definitely not that great and response time back takes forever and the devs don't do much interaction with the community which would be nice to see happen one day. One of the best staff members was Sominator, he was the community manager and he isn't there anymore.. it was definitely a loss for Cryptic Studios in my opinion. There is a heavy pay 2 win element if you pvp, just want to mention that. Honestly despite these things the game can be quite fun and it now has lots of content.

You mentioned they played Guild Wars 2. Ya might want to go back to it. The expansion is coming out soon.

One game I will say not to check out is Archeage.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Recommend her to try Wakfu by Ankama. Or their older game Dofus.

Cheers.

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by ZagatoMKR
    Recommend her to try Wakfu by Ankama. Or their older game Dofus.Cheers.

Out of Wakfu and Dofus, Wakfu is much better. It's very confusing though for a new player. You should mention that lol

Anything by Cryptic

She played WoW and SWTOR, both of which have extensive hotbars.  Your criteria for what makes a game casual is..interesting. 

Find another fish. This one ain't biting.

Anything by Cryptic

Oh, I'm not baiting you.  However, you did strongly imply that casual = simplistic, which is far from the truth.  If you didn't want to further that, then you probably shouldn't have engaged that debate in the first place.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Skyforge Open Beta is coming soon.  I've played the closed beta and the combat is sparkly and actiony and simple.  It's very easy to hop into and out of.  It doesn't do a lot for me, but it sound like something new you two could get into together and explore.  Trove is another fun one to hop into, socialize, adventure, collect, etc.  Easy to get into and out of.  LotR is an amazing mmorpg, but it is getting a little grey.  If she isn't limited to mmorpg's, then I'd suggest Heroes of the Storm and Robocraft - both are simple to get into and very addictive.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

Rift has a really good community and is very casual friendly.  Grouping up with people during events has been the easiest in any MMO I've played. There is no shortage of things to do in Rift from artifact hunting, hidden puzzles scattered around the world, epic story quest lines, achievement collections, instanced housing, etc.  

The f2p model is one of the best in the industry.  I've logged about 150 days in-game time and still have many objectives to complete.

• Rya1337Rya1337 Member Posts: 4

http://en.wulin.webzen.com/

Age of Wulin for EU, Age of Wushu for America

It is one of the best games i ever played, and i still enjoy it (playing daily with my husband)

Its a nice ancient China world, u can pvp but u can pve u can farm, you can just chill and u still level. there is no need of grinding, many fun events and really, its all about enjoying the game.

I think you both would enjoy this game since i highly recommend it to anyone.

My ingame name there is Ryá, RainClan GuildLeader. u can pm me if u have questions!

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Tera, Mabinogi and Second Life are the games my girlfriend and her friends play quite a bit.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168

I would give Trove a try. Fast, fun, no commitment.

Anything by Cryptic

Oh, I'm not baiting you.  However, you did strongly imply that casual = simplistic, which is far from the truth.  If you didn't want to further that, then you probably shouldn't have engaged that debate in the first place.

Implications are provided by the author. Inferences are drawn by the reader. The author of the original post includes the word simple in the title of the thread.

Anything by Cryptic

Implications are provided by the author. Inferences are drawn by the reader. The author of the original post includes the word simple in the title of the thread.

..And back to the OP, and my post, saying she played games (WoW and SWTOR) with complex hotbars and your implication that someone who is casual can't deal with multiple skills.  Your post doesn't make sense, and this back and forth is inane so I'm not going to engage you any more.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Wow thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't posted back sooner...

She enjoyed City of Heroes the post, secondly she prolly enjoyed WoW the most simply because I played it the most.

Having a lot of selections on a hotbar isn't really a big deal, a bigger problem would be the action combat. Tera/GW2 style. Though she liked GW2 its hard for her to play cause of the combat style.

Going to look into Trove, as well as back into FFXIV and Rift.. Skyforge looks pretty interesting as well. The hub style may be easier to deal with.

I really appreciate everyone posting some advice. Thanks a ton guys!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Anything by Cryptic

Actually I see his point.

This is not a "casual vs hardcore" debate. It's about a person who I'm guessing doesn't play a lot of games, might not even like them other than liking a "few".

I have a friend who perfectly fits into that.

If I were to play a game with her that had anything more than one hotbar or a few skills, she would be disinterested.

Funny enough she likes playing games with strong women and more action "kicking ass" sort of things.

So we played the buffy the vampire console games (not good but fun for what they were) and the game we usually play is "left 4 Dead 2".

All she wants to do is have a weapon and strike/fire. That's it. She is a true "casual" gamer in that she plays them here and there, isn't interested in anything more than having some fun and doesn't want to invest a lot of time as she really isn't all that interested in video games as a whole.

We always play on easy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Anything by Cryptic

This is not a "casual vs hardcore" debate. It's about a person who I'm guessing doesn't play a lot of games, might not even like them other than liking a "few".

If I were to play a game with her that had anything more than one hotbar or a few skills, she would be disinterested.

Funny enough she likes playing games with strong women and more action "kicking ass" sort of things.

So we played the buffy the vampire console games (not good but fun for what they were) and the game we usually play is "left 4 Dead 2".

All she wants to do is have a weapon and strike/fire. That's it. She is a true "casual" gamer in that she plays them here and there, isn't interested in anything more than having some fun and doesn't want to invest a lot of time as she really isn't all that interested in video games as a whole.

We always play on easy.

Right, and given that it makes sense.  I guess we're just missing information from the OP.  Given the list of games she's played, what she liked or disliked about them. 

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Sovrath

Anything by Cryptic

We always play on easy.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this post.

Originally posted by NightHaveN

Have you tried Final Fantasy XIV?

While it has an extensive job system, and you can fill all classes and roles with a single character, as long you stay on your original class (guild job here), it will be very straight forward, and simple.

And if you get bored, instead of re-roll, you learn and level a new job and that's it.

I'm actually considering this right now, I just got back into it to try out Rogue/Ninja and her brother got back into it recently as well, might be worth a shot... Thanks!

You might also look at Firefall if she likes to kick ass.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

Have you tried Final Fantasy XIV?

While it has an extensive job system, and you can fill all classes and roles with a single character, as long you stay on your original class (guild job here), it will be very straight forward, and simple.

And if you get bored, instead of re-roll, you learn and level a new job and that's it.

This would be my suggestion as well.  FFXIV is simple enough that anyone should be able to pick it up easily, but hard enough in hard mode that you have to be really good.   And it's very good for casuals as well, you can log in and run a primal in about 10 miniutes and log out :)

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I recommend RIFT for these criteria.  I keep coming back to it over the years, because it's easy to jump into even if I've forgotten the details.  And it's cooperative gameplay, with lots of people joining into communal effort when rifts open across the game zones.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

She may like Inspirit Online, went into closed beta there might still be keys left. The game hasn't got a lot of publicity.

It's basically a top down open worldish mmorpg. 4 classes, 3 ways to play the classes, bit of customization there, a surprising amount of looks customization, many pets and a fairly in-dept but still easy to understand pet growing and evolution system.

I downloaded it on a whim and I'm actually kind of enjoying it. It's pretty polished, nice art direction if you're into the whole anime thing.

The combat is alright, your basic attack is fast you can spam it by holding down the mouse button, and it has a few gtaoes or skill shots.