Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A f2p expansion for money [HoT]

2»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm not sure I understand the issue.  They have an expansion coming and you have to pay for it.  It's the same as with GW1 I think, so they are following their basic strategy.  If you don't like it, don't participate.  If a game was B2P without any future revenue stream, I'm not sure it would last.  Especially with the amount attention the devs give the game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by exile01
    Originally posted by Sinsai
    Originally posted by Elquin
    You'd be wrong. GW2 is not a F2P game, it is  B2P. You pay for the game + expansions, but you do not pay a monthly subscription.

^This.

Ofc it is B2P. But the content it offers is compared to Rift as example ,MAYBE, half as big- yet Rift managed that in a F2P transaction without asking to pay to entry.

And server costs cannot be considered, since they are with todays technologie pretty damn low.

I know that because a friend of mine works in the gameindustry.

I bet your friend also enjoys the paycheck from being employed by the company in the game industry. I doubt you truly understand all the cost involved, it's much more than severs and a staff

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Sinsai
    Originally posted by Elquin
    You'd be wrong. GW2 is not a F2P game, it is  B2P. You pay for the game + expansions, but you do not pay a monthly subscription.

^This.

Ofc it is B2P. But the content it offers is compared to Rift as example ,MAYBE, half as big- yet Rift managed that in a F2P transaction without asking to pay to entry.

And server costs cannot be considered, since they are with todays technologie pretty damn low.

I know that because a friend of mine works in the gameindustry.

how would you know, they havent released all the details about the expansion yet?

server costs are LOWER..not ZERO

you obviously have a very rare friend..one that doesnt require food, or money

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by rafalex007

my god what is happening to people 

F2P happened. It shifted people's expectations. Now all these devs who were out for a quick buck by taking advantage of whales have to figure out how to sell things to people who don't buy things.

Bingo!!! I still have never made a microtransaction, not one penny. Thecclosest I have come is a wow token I bought it with in game gold though, so not my money. Any game with a cash shop should not charge an upfrontfee

tell that to Blizzard, Squenix, and every subscription mmo that also has a cash shop and a box price. GW2 is by far the least intrusive mmo with a cash shop and a box price.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    ^^^ actually, Mike Obrien said that all of the major features were already revealed at the first reveal (was it E3? Can't remember).

So yes there are more details but no more major features. You get a pvp map, one pve map with three biomes, one new class, and 1 new weapon/specialization per class.

It's up to each person to decide if that is worth fifty, or to wait for more details. Simple as that, andnoname-calling needed.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Lets see, F2P games make money from their cash shop, and sometimes optional patron status. (subs)

GW2 makes money from their cash shop and in a mandatory up front box cost.

In what way is the OP incorrect?

To some folks the idea of a cash shop is zero sum, they don't measure them by a matter of degree

Online games make money from cash shop, and subs. P2P also charges you to buy the game upfront. F2P lets you have the game for free. B2P is the original form of P2P, before they came up with subs/cash shops as an additional revenue source.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    THats what i think, HoT is a f2p expansion tagged with a entry fee. I hope the real fans will be pleased at least.

Not again. Look... you get what you pay for. Even f2p isn't f2p (they are usually supported by buy to win online marketplaces) and they have bills to pay. How exactly do you think they pay for developers to create new expansions, new items, new areas, and people to mind the forums, GM's to help you with in game bugs, marketing, for computers, and the like? You don't really think that it appears out of magic, do you? If they don't make a profit, and can't pay the bills, then the game shuts down. And $50 or $60 is nothing compared to the months of enjoyment you get out of it. You can easily spend the same amount by buying a pair of pants or on a night out on the town. 

This discussion has been closed.