Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People who have played, how is it?

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
So I'm extremely hyped for this game, but am going to wait until launch to play it with my friends (we all don't feel like dropping 60 for the alpha).  For those of you that have played it, has it lived up to your standards? Lots of replay value? I'm curious to hear some thoughts, thanks!

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• Chris_SwainChris_Swain Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I have been in since this morning. Literally played from 8am until 7pm. It's a pretty solid game. Even in alpha it plays nice. There have been a few server reboots but other than that not too bad at all. As far as longevity the player based economy makes everything tick and it appears to be delivering as planned. I can't get enough of it. Very deep game with so much to do and work towards - very good for groups/guilds as well.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    does it feel anything like UO?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    looks like a retro game tbh, click to move, virtually no character customisation, years ago it might have competed with UO as was, then again, maybe it wouldn't have, but Click to move, that is so last century, its almost like living the 90's again. image
  • LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Phry
    looks like a retro game tbh, click to move, virtually no character customisation, years ago it might have competed with UO as was, then again, maybe it wouldn't have, but Click to move, that is so last century, its almost like living the 90's again. image

70 Million of League of Legends players are thinking :

"What the hell is this guy talking about...?"

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Is there an NDA?  Are we going to be able to see videos?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Lukooone

70 Million of League of Legends players are thinking :

"What the hell is this guy talking about...?"

Not counting the 20 million and growing HOTS players.

Really!, What is this guy thinking!  I know WASD~~~!!!

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Your logic is flawed in a epic way.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

I think he's spot on.  Just wish these top down click to move MMOs would just go away.  Its one of the main reasons I can't stand MOBAs.  It's non-immersive and just makes a video game play like a virtual board game.  The only reason developers defend and continue to implement this top down click to move game play mechanic is because it is easier and cheaper to design and develop.  Fortunately for them many gamers now days could care less about immersion.  They are content playing a virtual board game.   That said, whereas a MOBA may be able to get away with this shallow type of game play mechanic, it makes for poor non-immersive game play in an MMO/MMORPG.

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.  I agree on the character customization, it could be far better.  

It needs the ability to change (rotate) camera view of character, I got killed one  because I was attacked while behind a tree and could not click on the boar that was attacking me, because I could not see it.  There are other ways to fix that issue.  Auto attack a target that is attacking you is one.  The land features become semi transparent when you are behind them, is another.  Or a red outline makes your attacker visible through land features so you can see to click on it., would be my final suggestion.

Other than that the game plays well and is enjoyable.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

I think he's spot on.  Just wish these top down click to move MMOs would just go away.  Its one of the main reasons I can't stand MOBAs.  It's non-immersive and just makes a video game play like a virtual board game.  The only reason developers defend and continue to implement this top down click to move game play mechanic is because it is easier and cheaper to design and develop.  Fortunately for them many gamers now days could care less about immersion.  They are content playing a virtual board game.   That said, whereas a MOBA may be able to get away with this shallow type of game play mechanic, it makes for poor non-immersive game play in an MMO/MMORPG.

So button mashing WASD is more immersive?

LMAO, good one I needed that laugh.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Bluddwolf

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.  I agree on the character customization, it could be far better.  

It needs the ability to change (rotate) camera view of character, I got killed one  because I was attacked while behind a tree and could not click on the boar that was attacking me, because I could not see it.  There are other ways to fix that issue.  Auto attack a target that is attacking you is one.  The land features become semi transparent when you are behind them, is another.  Or a red outline makes your attacker visible through land features so you can see to click on it., would be my final suggestion.

Horrible game imo, but as for the boar fight..  you can rotate the camera 360. 

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Not counting the 20 million and growing HOTS players.

Really!, What is this guy thinking!  I know WASD~~~!!!

WASD?  Does anyone make a keyboard today that lacks arrow keys?  (Find me the link at newegg.com if you think so.)  I'd much rather have click-to-move than WASD.

I thought the game was rather easy to learn (which is good).  The skill tree seemed nice, but the crafting was slightly tedious.  I didn't like that it used the tired crafting formula of "second verse, same as the first" with strictly regulated tiers of materials and recipes.  It was very nice, though, that you shaped your character development by actually using skills.  You "became" a hunter by repeatedly relying on bow skills; you "became" a mage by repeatedly relying on staff skills.

It's not a game that will hold my attention, but I can certainly see why it would be enticing to many people.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Hopefully the devs will use this Alpha time to make some corrections to things like this.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I can't say how it plays out in albion but it works perfectly fine in MOBAs, they still have rather large skill caps while having such a "dumbed down" movement system.  Smite tried to change that and many find it less engaging than the traditional style.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by psiic

Horrible game imo, but as for the boar fight..  you can rotate the camera 360. 

How?  I have asked about camera rotation and I did not get an answer from those I play with.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I have played games with WASD movement and immersive gameplay but the majority of them lacked depth and a end game so this game is refreshing. Will this game be a MMO for everyone? Nope!.... But i don't mind the UO style gameplay because when it comes down to it. I'd rather be clicking with something to do than standing around an Inn with WASD movement and nothing to do. Everyone has different taste for example i prefer Silent Hunter over Call of duty so... there you go.
  • AustrianAustrian Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by evilized
    does it feel anything like UO?

No, not really. Uo was more of a solo base game where they put the solo play first. AO is more guild focused, if you go in there thinking you can solo or be a solo crafter like you could in UO you're going to get screwed. Even small guilds may get screwed.

Currently the problems with AO are:

-Taxes and fees are high
    -Unlike what their website says, there are gear drops from mobs therefore the economy isn't completely playerbased.
    -Mission gear from quest > crafted gear as it's easier to acquire and cheaper and have less repair cost. Which make crafters less valuable since players can gear up via missions.
    -Pvp not as in depth as UO
    -If you're not a good guild, getting gear will be a pita
    -If you're looking for solo fights or small fights outside of 5 vs 5 territory battles, you not likely to find it here.
    -Unlike UO, gear have tiers so there is a vertical progression system.

The only thing that these two have in common is the view point, the setting, and full loot in some areas. But the mechanics and game play are vastly different. I am not even sure if this is a sandbox game or more like an RvR or GvG game.

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55

Could not agree more. Click to move is horribly off putting for this exact reason.

Originally posted by Good_Apollo
     Click to move is horribly off putting for this exact reason.

I have had very little experience with click-to-move games, Diablo II being the last one I played to my recollection.  I've grown accustomed to it in just the two weeks or so of this alpha.  

• biscuitsawcebiscuitsawce Member CommonPosts: 11

Could not agree more. Click to move is horribly off putting for this exact reason.

Are you refering to clicking and moving, or click drag move?
  • OrkistraOrkistra Member CommonPosts: 6
    Beta soonsies
  • EdremisEdremis Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I have been in since this morning. Literally played from 8am until 7pm. It's a pretty solid game. Even in alpha it plays nice. There have been a few server reboots but other than that not too bad at all. As far as longevity the player based economy makes everything tick and it appears to be delivering as planned. I can't get enough of it. Very deep game with so much to do and work towards - very good for groups/guilds as well.
    You hyped me more than I was ò.ó
  • ShadowThief92ShadowThief92 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Theres some cool videos of some epic fights on youtube!
  • HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Dropping 60 for the alpha?!?!? You have to pay 60 dollars to play the ALPHA?!
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Dropping 60 for the alpha?!?!? You have to pay 60 dollars to play the ALPHA?!

The $60 is for the ticket on the time machine to take you back to when these graphics and gameplay style were great. Yes, yes MOBAS and some shittier mmorpgs use isometric and point to click, hardly a damn excuse.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

This discussion has been closed.