Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes this game stand out?

2»

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

after 2 years of subbing :

1- Graphics because is the first thing u will notice , i like the art style too. The new zones have some Lotro vibe to me.

2- Final fantasy , if u like the series u will love every hint , from mobs , to locations , names , chocobos , gold saucer , Crystal tower ,  summons that u will fight , MUSIC , lots of old tracks make a come back.

3- The story , i wont lie there are parts sooooo boring that u will want to punch a moogle (literally) , but in the end is worth it, 2.0 is ok , start slow , and picks up later on. 3.0 is awesome all the way!

4- Jobs , Machinist , Dark knight , Black mage , Ninja , Dragoon , ect !

5- Gameplay , ppl will tell u the game is slow , yes its , at the begging , after a while u will pick off the global cooldown skills that will make combat faster , (skill speed helps too)

6- Dungeons/raid , all of them , the 15-20 are kinda easy , but thats expected since players to haven too many tools , but after 30ish it gets interesting!

7- Developers , SE team works hard to provide patches every 3 months and outside pushing Expansion 1month the always delivered in 2 years.  New content every 3 months with new Main story quest , 2 new dungeons , 1 raid , 1primal with a new set of weapons , and 3 gear sets (1 for dungeons , 1 for raid and 1 for new currency )

I started playing because 1-2 , stayed because i liked 3-4 and keep sub for 2 years because 6-7 ^^

Btw now u can lvl 1-50 really FAST with main story quests , and there is plenty of ppl doing low lvl instances ( i know i do! since at max lvl u are rewarded 100 currency for it!) and even then ppl use Dungeon finder low lvl all the time to level jobs , since it give a lot of exp! , same goes for trials.

but wait there is more!!!! ...if its your first time doing the dungeon u get queue priority!!!! , SE really wants new players to enjoy the game :D

• BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115

I agree with the general consensus that the game gets better as you level up, especially the combat when you start to fill your bars up with more instant abilities it feels way more fun and you feel that long GCD less.

My one major gripe with this game is that the first part of the game is mind-numbingly boring and confusing for new players.

Starting in a busy city and doing "talk to" quests for an hour, whilst having to constantly go between upper and lower level deck is just a bad idea IMO. Most other MMO's I have played do the whole "Introduction to the main city" type thing around level 10 (or equivalent) when the player has learned the basics of combat, movement etc in a less crowded area.

I think FF would retain way more subs if they did a more fun intro to the game. I'm basing this off the fact the 4 friends I introduced to the game didn't make it past level 15 due to the game being boring, also heard the same thing over and over from friends trying to get people into the game

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Started my sub back up,monthly at level 25 and finished Ifrit and going to pick between the 3 factions.

If I would just do story and class quest how long would it take me? Also, people have said you can hit level 50 with out side quests now is that true?

• Jwhite2501Jwhite2501 Member CommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

Started my sub back up,monthly at level 25 and finished Ifrit and going to pick between the 3 factions.

If I would just do story and class quest how long would it take me? Also, people have said you can hit level 50 with out side quests now is that true?

Side quests are a HUGE part of the story and what's going on currently in the story.

Don't kill ????? and go back to a level 50 side quest and scratch your head wondering why their talking about ???? when they clearly died by your hands.

Side quests in ARR and Heavensward add so much more then other games.

Do your main story, side story, and daily roulettes. Easy way to 50 by far.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

A game with so many people being enthousistic cant be bad! Can it?

i never got past level 10 at open beta,mfinding combat to static, and quests not engaging enough..

which keeps me wondering what attracks the current player base to this game?

what feaurures make it unique and stand out?

and what makes this game fun for them to play?

- if you had to compare it to other MMOs which would you choose?

(also wondering if it will be possible to catch up after the expansion releases, and if there will be any people left to group with in the old comtent while leveling and preparing for the expansion content)

IMO it is the quantity and quality of content available. For a themepark there's nothing missing that you could want for. The biggest hole in content is for pvp players but there seem to be some folks that enjoy that area of the game just fine.

I'm a relatively new player myself. I had just finished 2.0 content at Heavesward launch and I'm almost through the 2.55 stuff. I do play pretty casually compared to most. I've had 0 issues going through any of the story content whatsoever. There's tons of players everywhere and SE's game design incentivizes higher level players going back and running through old zones and content so it continues to remain used.

Steam: Neph

• Jwhite2501Jwhite2501 Member CommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

A game with so many people being enthousistic cant be bad! Can it?

i never got past level 10 at open beta,mfinding combat to static, and quests not engaging enough..

which keeps me wondering what attracks the current player base to this game?

what feaurures make it unique and stand out?

and what makes this game fun for them to play?

- if you had to compare it to other MMOs which would you choose?

(also wondering if it will be possible to catch up after the expansion releases, and if there will be any people left to group with in the old comtent while leveling and preparing for the expansion content)

IMO it is the quantity and quality of content available. For a themepark there's nothing missing that you could want for. The biggest hole in content is for pvp players but there seem to be some folks that enjoy that area of the game just fine.

I'm a relatively new player myself. I had just finished 2.0 content at Heavesward launch and I'm almost through the 2.55 stuff. I do play pretty casually compared to most. I've had 0 issues going through any of the story content whatsoever. There's tons of players everywhere and SE's game design incentivizes higher level players going back and running through old zones and content so it continues to remain used.

It's funny last night I queued in for low level roulette and it said, "DPS in need". Queue was 3 seconds on my DRG. I have helped SOOOOO many lowbies level their characters. The incentives.....makes me feel warm inside.

I am glad you are enjoying the game also dude. If you need any SERIOUS questions asked with SERIOUS answers, just go to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/

As you can see most here are not helpful but full of hate and rage for some reason lol.

• reejanreejan Member UncommonPosts: 16
    All classes one character and just loosing yourself in.eorzea
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

For me, the things that make it attractive are (in no particular order of importance or "value):

1. A very, very polished experienced. Everything works/feels right. Controls are smooth, the game runs well and looks great, even on lower settings.

2. Attention to detail. There's so much of "the little things" that seem inconsequential on their own, but altogether, elevate a game and its environments from being merely a "functional  set piece" to being a "complete world". Eorzea feels like a complete world to me, even as I'm just running around in it, on my way somewhere, etc.

3. Beautiful looking game, with a wonderfully (re)designed world. Every time I pick up this game again, before long, I have a screenshots folder filling up. There are so many amazing sights that I'll just come across in my travels, that I have to stop and take screenshots.

4. Characters that are relatable, believable (flaws and all), memorable, and even likable. I won't go into spoilers, but when bad things happen to some of the characters in this game, I actually feel for them, like I would in a good movie or book.

5. Story. Wait... having just completed the 2.55 story arc.. I have to emphasize this: STORY.  OMFG... Story lol. I sat through the ending cut-scenes for 2.55 with my jaw on the floor, and I'm sure "holy shit..." was said aloud more than a few times. Seriously.. I can't emphasize this enough. I mean, there are high points and low points punctuating the entire storyline up to that point - with more than a little filler thrown in, admittedly - but man they really pulled out all the stops for that conclusion. Without saying too much (though others who've completed it should know what I mean), the way your character's journey kind of comes full circle and "ends as it began" is just brilliant.

Okay enough gushing about that lol. Seriously, though... this is SE story-telling at its best, IMO. My understanding is that HW's story continues to be epic as well.

6. Tons of things to do. Seriously, it seems very limited and simple at the beginning, and to be fair... it is. This is by design. The game is created with the idea that there's going to be a lot of people new to MMORPGs playing it, and they want to make sure those people understand the basics.

For experienced MMO players, this is going to be all very familiar and, thus possibly/probably boring. It's not going to throw much new stuff at you, and you're not going to be terribly challenged for the first 10-20 levels (that's not to say nothing interesting is happening.. it is). But stick it out. Don't worry about the mechanics and such, and just use that time to take in the world, the characters, etc. etc.

The game does open to you, little by little, and before you know it, you're going to be trying to sort through what you want to do first - unless you happen to be of the sort who only cares about "progression-focused" content - ie. raids.. in that case, your to-do list is probably a bit shorter.

7. All jobs/classes on one character. This is a great thing, IMO, because people come to know you as your character, and not just your class/job. It makes for better familiarity within the server community as well. And, it means that all achievements are tied to your character, and much of it will never have to be repeated (unless you voluntarily create an alt, of course... but you don't have to)

All in all, FFXIV:ARR is just a solid all-around MMO. And I don't mean that in a cynical, "for a themepark MMO" sense. I mean, in its own right, on its own merits. I'm not one to put weight in ad populum arguments, but I think there's something to be said for the idea that a sub-based MMO is not only surviving, but thriving in an environment that's grown mostly hostile toward P2P.  It speaks to the overall quality of the experience. Simply, a whole lot of people find it enjoyable, and worth continuing to pay for - and that's all it really takes for a P2P MMO to succeed.

Does it have things that make me scratch my head, or that I find outright annoying.. Absolutely. No question. But, for me, it's always a question of "does the good outweigh the bad, enough that I can enjoy it?". In this case, the answer for me is, absolutely yes. Without question. Of course, YMMV.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I never played a Final Fantasy game before this one. So from the MMO perspective alone, the things that have kept me playing are:

- flexibility of class choice. I like that I can be a tank, healer, ranged or melee dps as I want on any given day.

- crafting system similar to Vanguard (which IMO was one of the best)

- polish everywhere on everything!

- looks beautiful, excellent animations and runs very smoothly

- excellent group content, dungeons, raids and trials. Been a long time since a game has pumped my adrenaline like this one.

- good community. Like every game a few rotten eggs, but generally people are friendly and helpful.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다