Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet Again I Am Thinking About Returning To WoW, Would Appreciate Suggestions

ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35

I played Vanilla WoW in Summer 2008 and got bored of it within 3 months, I got up to level 45. I then played it again on 2 seperate occasions on 2 seperate account, was bored within 4 months on both occassions and don't have access to any of my original accounts anymore, not a big deal, only had 1 main character for all of them anyway. I ended up playing world of warcraft for 452 hours total.

The reason why I am tempted to return so often is because I really like WoW's lore and faction oriented pvp. What is really important to me in a MMO is lore, if a game doesn't have lore I am interested in then I probably won't play it unless there was something unique about it like sandbox features or unique gameplay. I thought about Archeage but it is so pay to win and such a grind that I doubt I will ever play it. Then there is TERA, the major problem I have with TERA is pvp is not so faction oriented, you can do Alliance pvp but in the game world, every guild is in one of the 3 Alliances but that does not matter in world pvp since you can become an outlaw and guilds are able to fight another guild of the same Alliance. 

This is what leads me back to WoW, since it has faction based pvp/world pvp, Emerald Dream is also a high pop World PVP server and the only World PVP server that has an almost even number of Horde/Alliance on it so it would be the best one for World Pvp.

Does anyone think I should return to WoW? I tried playing it earlier this year but leveling was so boring, I guess the only way to know for sure would be for me to play WoW for about 50 hours so I can experience end game raids/battlegrounds/arenas and world pvp at max level. I suppose this would be the only way to determine if I wanna play WoW again or not.

Comments

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I've wanted to come back too...to play my shaman. Best class imho. But after I look at all the changes to WoW it got dumbed down too much for me. I last played Wrath and haven't gone back since. Now I'm playing SWTOR (recently installed Monday I think it was.) And the lore is just as good as WoW and there's still some skill required as  you get towards end game. I'm liking it.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I'd give FFXIV a try before going back to WoW.  Its free to try and though I haven't played WoW in many years, Final Fantasy was everything that WoW was and more.  Pretty much higher quality all around except maybe the low level areas which seem a bit more linear and closed-in for the sake of making things easier for new players.  I will say, I'm not personally a fan of themeparks, but I keep hearing good things about it, especially once you make it past the lower levels.  Unless you are really into warcraft to the point that it will make or break your experience, FF is probably a better option.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    I'd give FFXIV a try before going back to WoW.  Its free to try and though I haven't played WoW in many years, Final Fantasy was everything that WoW was and more.  Pretty much higher quality all around except maybe the low level areas which seem a bit more linear and closed-in for the sake of making things easier for new players.  I will say, I'm not personally a fan of themeparks, but I keep hearing good things about it, especially once you make it past the lower levels.  Unless you are really into warcraft to the point that it will make or break your experience, FF is probably a better option.

I wouldn't go that fair. FFXIV is a good game but zoning is fucking annoying. I don't even play WoW and would still rather login to Warcraft then FFXIV.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

WoW is still WoW.  If you've tried it multiple times in the past and didn't like it, you still won't like it.  It's still the same game on a fundamental level.

The best thing to do is try their Starter Edition (free trial), and see if you can tolerate a character up to level 20.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

you're out of luck if you're looking for wpvp. everyone just sit in town or their garrisons and wait for groupfinders to teleport them to instanced content these days. 

they pretty much killed wpvp.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

I tried playing it earlier this year but leveling was so boring, I guess the only way to know for sure would be for me to play WoW for about 50 hours so I can experience end game raids/battlegrounds/arenas and world pvp at max level. I suppose this would be the only way to determine if I wanna play WoW again or not.

May come as a shock this bit ... It hasn't changed since you last tried it.

And getting to max level is only the start. To experience what you say will require you not only to get to max level but to (essentially) farm gear. Doing what you say you do not like so - short answer - no. 

Try TESO; try Destiny; Assassin's Creed multi-player; Witcher, Dark Souls, any of other posters suggestions  - whatever. If you still doubt yourself however  - based on your past experiences and conclusion that you do not like the game - do (or redo) the WoW trial.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by f0dell54
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I wouldn't go that fair. FFXIV is a good game but zoning is fucking annoying. I don't even play WoW and would still rather login to Warcraft then FFXIV.

Don't really mind the zoning that much, especially since it takes like 3 seconds to zone if your computer isn't a dinosaur.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

OP -  

I've had the same itch.   They do offer a free experience up to level 10 (or 20?).  I like this option as oftentimes I've renewed subs on other games only to regret later. if you really want to do it.  I just did this recently and am really impressed with the updated character textures.  I plan on starting again after by existing sub expires (not enough time for 2 games at the moment).

Edit:  Just tried the 7 day free trial they had going.  Created a new toon on Emerald Dream.  Was very excited at first but the game just not draw me in.  Although the textures have improved, the game mechanics itself felt very old and stale.  I didn't make it very far but I didn't really encounter any world PVP and from what I have been reading on the forums and reddit, world PVP is basically dead in WoW.  So, in the end, I chose not to sub as I was disappointed in the 7 day trial.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    I went back a month ago, im sticking with it, its pretty cool now
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

I played Vanilla WoW in Summer 2008 and got bored of it within 3 months, I got up to level 45. I then played it again on 2 seperate occasions on 2 seperate account, was bored within 4 months on both occassions and don't have access to any of my original accounts anymore, not a big deal, only had 1 main character for all of them anyway. I ended up playing world of warcraft for 452 hours total.

The reason why I am tempted to return so often is because I really like WoW's lore and faction oriented pvp. What is really important to me in a MMO is lore, if a game doesn't have lore I am interested in then I probably won't play it unless there was something unique about it like sandbox features or unique gameplay. I thought about Archeage but it is so pay to win and such a grind that I doubt I will ever play it. Then there is TERA, the major problem I have with TERA is pvp is not so faction oriented, you can do Alliance pvp but in the game world, every guild is in one of the 3 Alliances but that does not matter in world pvp since you can become an outlaw and guilds are able to fight another guild of the same Alliance. 

This is what leads me back to WoW, since it has faction based pvp/world pvp, Emerald Dream is also a high pop World PVP server and the only World PVP server that has an almost even number of Horde/Alliance on it so it would be the best one for World Pvp.

Does anyone think I should return to WoW? I tried playing it earlier this year but leveling was so boring, I guess the only way to know for sure would be for me to play WoW for about 50 hours so I can experience end game raids/battlegrounds/arenas and world pvp at max level. I suppose this would be the only way to determine if I wanna play WoW again or not.

My wife and I, after a year of subscription and going max level, just unsubscribed from WoW for the time being.  

We've been playing off an on since BC in 2006, but I don't think we are going to return for quite some time mostly because we felt like after max there really isn't much else that entertained us.  We were all about the lore as well and it just kind of fell flat on it's face by 6.2.  Questing in WoD was really fun.  We also had some alts we were playing on the Alliance side that were around lvl 45 that we just couldn't get through anymore.  The age of the old quests really show after playing the later expansions like MoP and WoD.  Plus we just started to experiment with another MMORPG  together (we only played WoW together) and with the new and approved TESO, it made it even more difficult for us to carry on since the game is mainly based on stories and lore.

Do as you please.  No one else can say what you should and shouldn't do.  But I will say if you played before and got bored, then what will there be different that will keep you going in the game?  It's one of my favorite MMO's of all time, however it does show it's age especially if you've been playing any other MMORPG or RPG lately.

*edit: spelling

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• TameronTameron Member UncommonPosts: 4

You got the same itch that I have. It's always a go-back-and-forth situation with WoW for me. And what keeps me coming back is the lore. I sometimes feel like I'm missing a lot of the continuing story if I do not play.

I've been reading Lord of the Clans lately, and I'm so tempted to roll an orc shaman now...

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

If you managed to leave, I wouldn't come back.  Not this expansion, at least.  The game has got even easier, and even the developers have said they don't want their classes to be complex.  Add to that that the content support for this game is abysmal when compared to other subscription games.

I'd recommend attempting the FFXIV trial as a whole.  It's more along the lines of Vanilla WoW, but with a JRPG FF flare and Narrative.  SWTOR is focusing on story now, as well.  They have a 12x experience bonus for subs.  Guild Wars 2 is getting an expansion sometime this year (hopefully summer).  FFXIV's new expansion, Heavensward, is also pretty amazing at the moment.  The lore for the game is pretty amazing, as well. They even have pages written out in length for naming conventions for each race.

Wait for Blizzcon to see what the next expansion is about and if it interests you.  The beginning of an expansion is the best place to start with the game as it's the only time the game may be a little bit challenging due to nobody blowing through things with equipment.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Player impressions regarding the new Fury of Hellfire patch are not too positive. People state that the new content is nothing but a huge grind and repetitive time sink. 

i'm thinking about buying a game time token via gold and check things out.

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288

elderscrollsonline.com yer welcome ;)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ wearing layer apon layer of make up with cracks all over, but she does give sweeties on demand to children :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Doesn't everyone have fond memories of their first love?

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Hi, I've been an on again, off again WOW player over the years.  Like you, I started during the initial release but played through the Burning Crusade & Wrath of the Lich King expansions...then I took my first break.  Came back for a few months, then quite again....with that cycle repeating.  Each time it's taken me a shorter amount of time to get burned out, and a longer amount of time to get the itch to play again.

In regard to faction PvP.....you won't find much meaningful PvP in that regard (at least not in the open world). 

There are battlegrounds, but the non rated versions are a cluster-F, with little to no coordination or meaningful faction play to be found.  Most are just going through the motions to get the game over with as soon as possible, as to collect the small honor reward at the end of the match.  Attempts to organize folks on your team are usually met with ridicule, silence, apathy, or a mom joke.

There are now rated battlegrounds, where the competition might be more satisfying, but I think you can only earn so much honor, or currency used to get PvP gear a week (In other words, there are diminishing returns to playing over a certain amount of games per week)

There are also Arena competitions for smaller scale PvP, which are pretty competitive....but are less immersive, in terms of faction PvP, than battlegrounds.  It's really no different than fighting a random 5v5 in a small confined area, while the battlegrounds give you a sense of being part of a larger "faction" campaign.

All that said....unless you plan on playing rated battlegrounds competitively, with a clan or close group of friends, WOW PvP may not be worthwhile enough to put up with the other mundane parts of the game.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I just started WoW up again. Honestly the new content is just way too familiar and bland, as is the entire game at this point. PvP wise they put way too many resources into Ashran and it's the most painful experience ever, especially because it's forced on you.

I also tried FFXIV before like many posters suggestion but the entire game feels like a joke to me. The dungeons are the most boring thing i've ever witnessed and the combat mechanics are coma inducing. There's really just very few MMO's worth playing atm, if any.

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

I've played WoW for the better part of eight years now, with a break between Lich King and Cataclysm.

The game has not improved, rather it is worse. The peak was Lich King and the game has only declined since then and is now at it's worst with patch 6.2. There is literally nothing to do that is worth while outside of raiding (once a week), unless you are a hardcore PvPer who does Arenas.

I unsubscribed about a week after 6.2 released. I'm now playing FFXIV and enjoying it.

My opinion is you should look elsewhere.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

OP - first thing to do: try the trial. It may remind you what you liked - or disliked - about the game last time you played.

Second - before you consider buying WoD - check out the official forums; EU or US. These are people who are still subscribed. They will give you an idea about what the current feeling is.