Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Life is Feudal: Passion & Dedication Set the Game Apart

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, at E3, I had the opportunity to meet with Vladimir Piskunov, the CEO of Bitbox and see Life is Feudal, for the first time. My goal was to see just what features and systems were featured in this pure sandbox game. To say that I was pleasantly surprised would be something of an understatement. Vladimir is incredibly polite and passion for this project just exudes from him. He is also a realist and pretty insightful about games, sandbox games in particular. He knows that currently sandboxes are a bit of a niche genre, albeit a growing one, with many entrants coming in the next year or two.

Read more of Terry O'Brien's Life is Feudal: Passion & Dedication Set the Game Apart.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Nice read. This game sounds really interesting and I will keep an eye on it.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I have read the reviews on steam, basically a lot of people have played it quite a bit but everyone seems to think that the game is getting developed at a slugs pace. Basically to the point where they don't want to play it anymore. That doesn't sound like something I really want to be a part of at least until everything it working. I also read about you being unable to mine until someone spawns an infinite ore on their server? That sounds horrible.
  • irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124

guys the game is good but the problem that I have with it, Every thing you need to do is done via contextual menu system. I cant even get bark from a tree without having to right click the tree then going through the contextual menus to select strip bark from tree.

This should be a biproduct of an "action" the player has done ie* hacked at the tree, its was a nightmare the last time I played having to deal with paning my mouse through menus after each right click on an object or part of the world.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by irnbru69

guys the game is good but the problem that I have with it, Every thing you need to do is done via contextual menu system. I cant even get bark from a tree without having to right click the tree then going through the contextual menus to select strip bark from tree.

This should be a biproduct of an "action" the player has done ie* hacked at the tree, its was a nightmare the last time I played having to deal with paning my mouse through menus after each right click on an object or part of the world.

Exactly my thoughts.  Menus like this are so 90ish, you would think that a better UI would be paramount.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I haven't played this yet, but if it's like WURM as it appears to be, I'm going to play the shit out of the MMO version. Thanks for testing the core mechanics, all. :)

Joined - July 2004

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    The context menus can be set for default commans, in other words one dig through the menu then one button mash to spam gather or whatever. The game has good potential for a real sandbox survival. But like all games of this type land mass and resources dwindle.
  • emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    It's a great game, the mmo version should be really good, looking forward to that releasing 

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I played about 530 hours in LiF. The game can be fun BUT.... unless you have a lot of friends that are dedicated to building and taking the time to do so, the game can and does get tedious real fast. This is not a game for a one man solo or even just a two man team. Everything you need to do takes a lot of time. Especially, terraforming. If you happen to get a plot of land to build on, you will probably need to level it out to build a proper settlement/castle/fortification. And depending upon the size, expect to be moving a lot of dirt. This last is what killed it for me and about 7 of my friends that were playing. Digging dirt.We began calling it "Digging Simulator 2015".  We just got burnt out.

I am not saying any of this to keep anyone from trying the game. If you can get into a good group with a lot of people, go for it. Just don't expect anything to happen fast in the game.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Do realize the game is still in early access. They might change that still in the future :) Many things are not in place yet and they are working hard on that.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

You can set a default option I believe so when you click the tree it does that action.. so if you are going out collecting bark then set that as the default and away you go..

its like that because there are so many difference resources you can get from each object..

• SteelDemon09SteelDemon09 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    All i have to say is, my friends and I have dumped 400+ hours into LiF. None of us were friends before we played this game. Development was slow back in 2014 but it definitely picked up alot. If you come into this game, especially a PvP server, and try to play solo then you are a fool. This is a full loot PvP game and always will be. I strongly advise that if you want to play this game either get some friends to play with you, or dont be a hermit and actually MAKE some new friends. This game is at its best when you actually see crafting progress ect when in a group. My money well spent. Keep in mind this is an Alpha game. So there will be flaws just like every other game but it improves with every patch. All negative reviews for the most part have been by solo players that have dumped less than 3 hours into the game. Dont trust reviews like that ever..
  • SteelDemon09SteelDemon09 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Gruug

I played about 530 hours in LiF. The game can be fun BUT.... unless you have a lot of friends that are dedicated to building and taking the time to do so, the game can and does get tedious real fast. This is not a game for a one man solo or even just a two man team. Everything you need to do takes a lot of time. Especially, terraforming. If you happen to get a plot of land to build on, you will probably need to level it out to build a proper settlement/castle/fortification. And depending upon the size, expect to be moving a lot of dirt. This last is what killed it for me and about 7 of my friends that were playing. Digging dirt.We began calling it "Digging Simulator 2015".  We just got burnt out.

I am not saying any of this to keep anyone from trying the game. If you can get into a good group with a lot of people, go for it. Just don't expect anything to happen fast in the game.

If youre playing on a low skillcap server with low multiplier then of course things will take forever and you will get bored. I know people that spent 8+ hours a day only terraforming like wtf.. zz. DO NOT let that aspect get to you. Fight eachother PvP a little, go out and have some skirmishes. Its fun. My buddies and I are actually going to make a PvPvE server soon due to our GM being insane lol. we plan on 100 count animals 30 multiplier and 3k cap, we are doing this because it is alpha people should be able to try all aspects of the game without it taking forever. Its alpha and everything should be tested and played not just certain things alone at a slow pace.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I wanted to play it but the reviews so far have put me off. As a Russian I hate to say it, but Russian developers that do EA on Steam seem to suffer from delivering content at a ridiculously slow pace, to the point where people begin to wonder what the heck it is they are doing.

Smile

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

UO was fun, this game just isn't.  Almost everything is extremely tedious and I just really dislike the menus.  Basically the UI is primitive at best.  You really have to be a glutton for punishment to play this game at the stage it is in.

And don't start with the nonsense that it is in alpha, for the those that stick to such an absurd assumption, you have to pay to play, hence it is released and not in a very good release state at that.