Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow on life support

Comments

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129
    It is more likely the OP will be on life support far sooner than WOW will ever need it
  • WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Robokapp

WoW's subscription numbers drop to second place among MMOs for the first time in 40 years. In other news the Moon Colony reaches 100,000 inhabitants.

I did not know the WoW have been around for 40 years and think i was there at start omg im that old!!! i think you mean in 10 year.

Well have people now notice that WoW is losing player the have been losing player since Lich King. WoW will never be as big as it was back in Lich King no matter that people will say but then again it is summertime and it is know fact that all mmo lose player during the summer i mean whole the hell will stay indoor when you have sun and +20 C outside not me.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think some folks need to look up the definition of life support.

This forum gets sillier every day - there is no end to some players being completely out of touch with reality.

For once i agree, as i know at least one guy on this forum who is completely out of touch with reality.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    lol if WoW is on life support then every other MMO has been dead for years. Actually you could make that argument.
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Many of us no longer play WoW because it is no longer the game we fell in love with.  Considering that the game is TEN years old, this should come as no surprise.

That being said, WoW still has more players than Gw 2, FF XIV, SWToR, and AA combined, so to say the game is "on life support" only identifies you as someone who simply doesn't like the game.  It will probably go f2p at some point during the next decade, but that point is years away. 

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Life support equates to falling demand and under investment - a holding pattern in effect.

What's the opposite? a passionate development house with large investment proportional to profits and cohesive long term strategic plans - I.e not tier 16-50 gear over the next fe years and disjointed sub games.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Of course it's not on life support.  But it's been in maintenance mode for a LONG time.  Reaching that one time high in subscribers had no affect on the amount of content delivered.

Blizzard delivers just enough content to get people to buy expansions and keep subscribing.  It appears that they've botched that up as well as what they've delivered isn't really interesting people.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    WoW may be in declining health, but hardly life support.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

I have also previously stated that Wow is on life support. By this I do not mean the game is not being developed any longer in the traditional sense. 

What I mean is that for YEARS Blizzard has only returned a small fraction of Wow's earnings back into the game and has gone out of their way to automate Wow into a something akin to a lobby game with rinse/repeat content to the point where the original game concept isn't even recognizable. It has been turned into yet another mmo designed to target the casual, rotating door gamer instead of nurturing it's (formerly) core audience. 

In that sense Wow IS on life support. It now fits Blizzard's business model of minimal old game support and maximum new gaming trend support with Wow's income fueling the development of genres far removed from mmos. Blizzard openly states that they build games for Blizzard fans. They firmly feel they have a core audience that always comes back ... which is true when games are NOT mmos. Wow had the largest core community audience of nearly any game in history and Blizzard has knowingly dismantled it to maintain focus on maximum profit. Notice I used "maximum" as Wow's health would be far better if community was the focus.

For me the greatest sin for Bioware was taking advantage of Wow's audience to fuel it's other games. This extends down to changing the very design of Wow to facilitate their companies progression. Blizzard could have kept Wow a separate entity to itself but they chose not to.

Blizzard whored out it's mmo player base ... and that is a sin I cannot forgive.

You stay sassy!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I think many here underestimate how much work Blizzard out in to each expansion... 

That is ofc said.. you can only put so much money in to a problem before the money becomes a problem. So perhaps "just a tiny bit" is the right amount. =P

Any way... Life support as a  MMO term equals NO development and only enough support to stop the game from imploding... I´d say WoW have some bit left to go before that.

This have been a good conversation

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    WoW may be in declining health, but hardly life support.

All they need is 5k ppl on a single server, expand the ingame shop 100x the size it is now, and they will be allright,

SWG was dead for 5 years with 99% empty servers, and it still ran on selling cardpacks and still would have if it wasn't for SWTOR being released.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by BruceYee

I logged in for the first time in about 8 months to check out the new char model for my BE priest and my server was empty. There was hardly anything listed in the AH and not a word was being spoken in any of the chat channels.

From what I experienced I feel that Detroit comparison is accurate.

I was on Baelgun for awhile with some friends, back in late 2013. It was entirely dead there.

Even I quit and I played for over ten years.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I don't think this thing " life support" means what you think it means.
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Hahaha, read it here first folks. The most popular MMO ever made that has millions of subs is on life support.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I pray with everything in me that Blizzard never caters or gives in to the freeloader/f2p crowd. Please let this be the case. Please stay respectable and have some decency. Please close up shop before you release f2p (if it comes to that.)
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    It doesn't help that Dreaenor has no impact on the story at all. Once Garrosh died, everyone should have returned to the original story line. But we're still there because......well, I don't know. Blizzard didn't really think this one through.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I have also previously stated that Wow is on life support. By this I do not mean the game is not being developed any longer in the traditional sense. 

What I mean is that for YEARS Blizzard has only returned a small fraction of Wow's earnings back into the game and has gone out of their way to automate Wow into a something akin to a lobby game with rinse/repeat content to the point where the original game concept isn't even recognizable. It has been turned into yet another mmo designed to target the casual, rotating door gamer instead of nurturing it's (formerly) core audience. 

In that sense Wow IS on life support. It now fits Blizzard's business model of minimal old game support and maximum new gaming trend support with Wow's income fueling the development of genres far removed from mmos. Blizzard openly states that they build games for Blizzard fans. They firmly feel they have a core audience that always comes back ... which is true when games are NOT mmos. Wow had the largest core community audience of nearly any game in history and Blizzard has knowingly dismantled it to maintain focus on maximum profit. Notice I used "maximum" as Wow's health would be far better if community was the focus.

For me the greatest sin for Bioware was taking advantage of Wow's audience to fuel it's other games. This extends down to changing the very design of Wow to facilitate their companies progression. Blizzard could have kept Wow a separate entity to itself but they chose not to.

Bioware whored out it's mmo player base ... and that is a sin I cannot forgive.

you lost me at Bioware. . . . . . . .

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

I'm willing to wager that if you put all the players in North America onto one server right now, there would be no login queues.  Players are spread across so many servers that the game appears even more sparsely populated than it is.  Whenever I log in, I always do a who from all the guilds that used to be the most active/populated on the server.  Lucky if more than 5 peeps are online in any one of them.  Stark difference compared to say even WotLK days when 20 peeps were usually online.

Next expansion will be worse... even the die hard WoW types are losing interest these days... and they'd accept just about anything.

Originally posted by sayuu

Bioware whored out it's mmo player base ... and that is a sin I cannot forgive.

you lost me at Bioware. . . . . . . .

Evidently confused me too. Fixed it. The lines blur when discussing disappointments of the 2 big B's.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by kartool
    Hahaha, read it here first folks. The most popular MMO ever made that has millions of subs is on life support.

But I don't think you tried to understand. It is clear it isn't used in the standard definition as explained by many ... or simply used as exaggeration which is a common tool on forums to get emotion across.

Few threads are about what is said. You must discover why it was said. You do that by understanding what you read or what people say. Few bother to that these days.

You stay sassy!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    12 millIon - fan 'look at the number of subs, game must be great!' blizzard : cash in boys!

10 million - ""
    7 million - ""
    5 million - ""
    4 3 2 1 - year 2020 +

Those arguing blizzard are doing a great job are making it easy for blizzard to under invest and allow stagnation. Maybe the game has just reached the end of its life and nothing can be done, with the normal path for major redesign filled out ie wow 2

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Wildstar going F2P will be the death blow for WOW.

WS is a million times better and ahead in every aspect

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Blizzard bailed out on the MMO market long ago.  That's why they cancelled "Titan".  It's also why they launched D3, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and soon Overwatch.

WoW will be losing subs until a remnant is left to sustain it, much like EQ, DAoC, AC, etc.  So in that sense, the OP isn't far off.  

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by kartool

But I don't think you tried to understand. It is clear it isn't used in the standard definition as explained by many ... or simply used as exaggeration which is a common tool on forums to get emotion across.

Few threads are about what is said. You must discover why it was said. You do that by understanding what you read or what people say. Few bother to that these days.

That is what they call... Trolling... 

It is a bad thing and you should be ashamed.

This have been a good conversation

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa

Wildstar going F2P will be the death blow for WOW.

WS is a million times better and ahead in every aspect

LOL 10/10