Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big time pvp fanatic looking for a new game.

DankMcNastyDankMcNasty Member Posts: 11
Hello everyone. I'm starting to get bored of league so i thought i'd reach out to you guys for a new game. The last time i can recall an mmorpg game i truely enjoyed was guild war 1 (before that was ultima online but I won't take you guys through that road)... I tried guild wars 2 and was disappointed to say the least. Looking for a game that is heavy on the pvp mechanics I have tried many since but nothing really compared to the guild wars 1 experience... I could play that game just in random pvp 3 on 3 matches and have fun because the mechanics were so great. Those who played rogues and tank elementalists know what i'm talking about . Anyway looking for something that is not necessarily a recreation of that game but is very heavy in pvp mechanics and pvp in general. I am more into the pvp aspect then the rpg but I like to have the option for both especially if the late game pvp has enough rewards. Just for an idea I have tried archage, mortal, tera, SWTOR, guildwars 2, wow (sigh), h1z1 (love it but not looking for that right now) and probably a number of others that were just not memorable enough to cite. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

age of wushu / wulin,

its an alright game, i enjoyed it at one point, but the pvp is the only good thing in it, tho the pvp is pritty decent

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Ripper's Top 10 of PVP.  2015 it should be pretty current.

You Tube Link

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DankMcNastyDankMcNasty Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by A1D3N

age of wushu / wulin,

its an alright game, i enjoyed it at one point, but the pvp is the only good thing in it, tho the pvp is pritty decent

Cool i'll check this out. Any thoughts on Elder Scrolls Online, the pvp looks pretty good but they use the word theme park game to describe it which terrifies me.

• UltorXUltorX Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I'm pretty sure Age of Wulin/Wushu is heavily P2Win. I can recommend current Dark Age of Camelot but that's already in the linked video.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Wushu is a awesome pvp non quest centric mmorpg. So many brilliant pvp centric system. You'll scratch your head like "how/who thought of this!" It does have a pay to win element, but only at the very top 2% will it be felt. I played for 15-16 months. Here's a link to my youtube page.

I stopped playing Wushu and started playing ESO. ESO's skill system and build customization is unmatched. Couple that with the best graphics and life like combat system makes it really hard to beat. I wish there was some small scale pvp, but Cyrodiil will hold your attention for a long time. It's huge. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Echo Of Soul

Originally posted by bcbully

Wushu is a awesome pvp non quest centric mmorpg. So many brilliant pvp centric system. You'll scratch your head like "how/who thought of this!" It does have a pay to win element, but only at the very top 2% will it be felt. I played for 15-16 months. Here's a link to my youtube page.

I stopped playing Wushu and started playing ESO. ESO's skill system and build customization is unmatched. Couple that with the best graphics and life like combat system makes it really hard to beat. I wish there was some small scale pvp, but Cyrodiil will hold your attention for a long time. It's huge. 

But the pvp in ESO is good right I was a little thrown off by your response. I like how it looks and have watched some youtube of what looks like a big arena style pvp match which reminds me a lot of guild wars 1 which peaked my interests. Also about echo of soul from what I have read they say it is a lot like tera except with more of an emphasis on being "action" combat if this is true I don't know if i'd be a fan as I don't really care for tera.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DankMcNasty

But the pvp in ESO is good right I was a little thrown off by your response. I like how it looks and have watched some youtube of what looks like a big arena style pvp match which reminds me a lot of guild wars 1 which peaked my interests. Also about echo of soul from what I have read they say it is a lot like tera except with more of an emphasis on being "action" combat if this is true I don't know if i'd be a fan as I don't really care for tera.

The PVP in ESO is great and has very little to do with the themepark PVE side. Many new PVPers grind their way to level 10 in PVE for a couple of hours and then head to Cyrodiil and do nothing but PVP with just a few side trips to PVEland after that to grab a few skill points when they need it.

You can build yourself for solo ganking or group synergy play and switcth from one style to the other quickly and easily and it all takes place in a huge 24/7 persistent zone. Siege warfare is easy, quick and cheap to set-up and use and there is a lot of room for creative strategy and tactics.

What it doesn't have is short duration, small scale PVP scenarios - something I don't really miss since large scale war simulators are much more my cup of tea.

It's much more like Dark Age of Camelot or Planetside 2 than anything else in the way it plays and feels.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

I am not that far into ESO's PvP, but am going to chime in anyways.  It is nearly all large group combat, lying siege to keeps and defending enemy assaults.  You do not get many opportunities for small numbers fighting.  If you like the idea of defending and sieging, though, dive in.  I preferred GW2 as far as individuals making a difference in the large scale, but ESO does a better job at handling large groups because they do not cap AoE at 5 people.

For large scale PvP I think ESO will be your best bet right now.

For smaller scale PvP you are looking at a really weak playing field right now.  WoW may actually have superior class balance than its competition atm, but of course requires an initial gear grind and skilled friends to succeed.

GW2 is not balanced at all for smaller scale combat.  ESO does not seem to offer it.  FFXIV seems to offer it as a backseat to the rest of the game, and I have never met anyone that took it seriously rather than as just a way to have fun outside of the norm.  Rift last I played it actually had pretty solid PvP, but WoW offered better.  Same with SWTOR, but I do not know how active it is since I am not subscribed right now.

Two other things to note, if you would consider playing EVE, the game is a pvp strategist's dream come true.  It might take awhile for you to become well known enough to get a fleet to follow you, but it takes awhile to learn all the game offers as well.  Just realize going in that the game is about strategy, preparation, and planning.  Individual player skill has only a small part in the outcome of an engagement.  The last thing, since you are coming from a MOBA background, maybe SMITE would appeal to you.  It is a moba just with a behind the back third person camera instead of an isometric view.  It seems to be popular right now, but in my experience HiRez (the company behind it) makes genuinely enjoyable games, then cashes out right when you need them to start work on game balance.

Edit:  In HiRez's defense, the games they ditched were far past the point of being financially sustainable.  Unfortunately their earlier games did not get the number of players they needed, despite being (imo) pretty good games.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you don't mind bugs and below average graphics you should consider Pathfinder. It does have monthly fees that is annoying for a game far from finnished and somewhere in late alpha but it do have some pretty nice mechanics.

Otherwise it is kinda hard right now. There is GW2 and ESO (I prefer Gw2s PvP myself) but neither sounds to be just what you are looking for.

Crowfall on the other hand seems to be perfect but it isn't out yet.

Originally posted by Baitness

I am not that far into ESO's PvP, but am going to chime in anyways.  It is nearly all large group combat, lying siege to keeps and defending enemy assaults.  You do not get many opportunities for small numbers fighting.  If you like the idea of defending and sieging, though, dive in.  I preferred GW2 as far as individuals making a difference in the large scale, but ESO does a better job at handling large groups because they do not cap AoE at 5 people.

For smaller scale PvP you are looking at a really weak playing field right now.  WoW may actually have superior class balance than its competition atm, but of course requires an initial gear grind and skilled friends to succeed.

GW2 is not balanced at all for smaller scale combat.  ESO does not seem to offer it.  FFXIV seems to offer it as a backseat to the rest of the game, and I have never met anyone that took it seriously rather than as just a way to have fun outside of the norm.  Rift last I played it actually had pretty solid PvP, but WoW offered better.  Same with SWTOR, but I do not know how active it is since I am not subscribed right now.

Two other things to note, if you would consider playing EVE, the game is a pvp strategist's dream come true.  It might take awhile for you to become well known enough to get a fleet to follow you, but it takes awhile to learn all the game offers as well.  Just realize going in that the game is about strategy, preparation, and planning.  Individual player skill has only a small part in the outcome of an engagement.  The last thing, since you are coming from a MOBA background, maybe SMITE would appeal to you.  It is a moba just with a behind the back third person camera instead of an isometric view.  It seems to be popular right now, but in my experience HiRez (the company behind it) makes genuinely enjoyable games, then cashes out right when you need them to start work on game balance.

Edit:  In HiRez's defense, the games they ditched were far past the point of being financially sustainable.  Unfortunately their earlier games did not get the number of players they needed, despite being (imo) pretty good games.

I actually come from an mmorpg background I most recently went to league because the player base fizzled out in gw1 but I loved the pvp in that game and unfortunately I don't think guild wars 2 is comparable in any way. Before that I was big in ultima online. I guess i'd say I am more into games that are more small group combat or even 1 v 1 ive never really gotten into any of the big seige games.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

ESO has good pvp as described by people above, but like many mmos you really need to grind pve to make the most of it. It has also recently introduced a "Champion point" system which is a character progression system that allows almost unlimited power progression for toons who reach the level cap of 50-and the points are account wide so all your characters share this power. This kind of power gap is common to mmos, but unfortunately these points also boost your toon even in the low level (10-50) pvp campaign (which has otherwise normalized stats). The result is that you will come across these characters with 100s of CP (and all the best gear and potions/food) in what is supposed to be the normalized pvp campaign who are basically mini bosses that can take down whole groups of players.

Its Veteran campaign (for players who have "veteran ranks" (consists of 14 ranks after level 50)), is even more unbalanced when you start off, with a champion point loaded well geared Veteran rank 14 almost godlike compared to Vet rank 1 players. Again this kind of thing is the norm for mmos, but I am just pointing it out because you mentioned you are into Lol and GW1, both of which are completely skill based pvp games.

Note also that ESO is currently my favourite mmo and I play almost exclusively pvp in it so it obviously has a lot going for it. Every other mmo I can think of except for GW2 is similarly set up as having levels/gear as the most important factor, but with worse pvp mechanics than ESO.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I actually come from an mmorpg background I most recently went to league because the player base fizzled out in gw1 but I loved the pvp in that game and unfortunately I don't think guild wars 2 is comparable in any way. Before that I was big in ultima online. I guess i'd say I am more into games that are more small group combat or even 1 v 1 ive never really gotten into any of the big seige games.

When I said I wish eso had more small scale pvp. What I meant is I wish there was arena or 1v1 hot join system. I play small group in ESO now. No more than 5 people ever. Most the time I play with two others. We cut travel lanes and take resources. We can be devastating when preventing the enemy faction from reinforcing keeps. I reached emperor playing like this on two different toons in two major campaigns.

There is plenty of room for small group play in ESO. Small groups can and are very impactful. Sometimes though like now when working with a new toon and build I just want to hop into a 1v1 or a 2v2 to work on things. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

When I said I wish eso had more small scale pvp. What I meant is I wish there was arena or 1v1 hot join system. I play small group in ESO now. No more than 5 people ever. Most the time I play with two others. We cut travel lanes and take resources. We can be devastating when preventing the enemy faction from reinforcing keeps. I reached emperor playing like this on two different toons in two major campaigns.

There is plenty of room for small group play in ESO. Small groups can and are very impactful. Sometimes though like now when working with a new toon and build I just want to hop into a 1v1 or a 2v2 to work on things. 

What bull is also not saying is that the Alliance Points, which are both, the PVP currency and score you get for taking resources, keeps and killing other players is divided by the number of people who participated. It rewards small groups by giving you a lot more AP when you're doing it in a small group.

But from what the OP has said and his mention of GW1 a couple of times, this is probably not his kind of PVP anyway. GW1 was all about 10 or 15 minute matches and there is none of that in ESO. I personally hate scenario PVP.. different strokes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

What bull is also not saying is that the Alliance Points, which are both, the PVP currency and score you get for taking resources, keeps and killing other players is divided by the number of people who participated. It rewards small groups by giving you a lot more AP when you're doing it in a small group.

But from what the OP has said and his mention of GW1 a couple of times, this is probably not his kind of PVP anyway. GW1 was all about 10 or 15 minute matches and there is none of that in ESO. I personally hate scenario PVP.. different strokes.

It seems like I might pull the trigger on ESO, things like high levels having an advantage are not a big issue for me as well as lengthy battles. I really would put polished pvp mechanics above all else, my main issue is if the game is worth devoting the time to get to those levels. With the games i've tried like wow, tera etc the pvp just seemed lackluster to me and there was not much originality in pvp situations there definitely didn't seem to be as much skill as some of the older games i've played in the past. 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by Iselin

It seems like I might pull the trigger on ESO, things like high levels having an advantage are not a big issue for me as well as lengthy battles. I really would put polished pvp mechanics above all else, my main issue is if the game is worth devoting the time to get to those levels. With the games i've tried like wow, tera etc the pvp just seemed lackluster to me and there was not much originality in pvp situations there definitely didn't seem to be as much skill as some of the older games i've played in the past. 

You should be able to get the feel of the pvp within a few weeks (or less if you play a lot). The non-vet campaign which you can enter from level 10 is really good. If you link up with some people on teamspeak and play in a small group ganking incoming reinforcements through chokepoints/supply lines like Bull describes above you will probably have amazing fun.

Probably not as skill based as GW1, but I feel like there is greater room for varied and tactical play with the way it is set up compared to structured pvp/battlegrounds etc.

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113

Play some DAoC, that's real PvP (or I should I say RvR?). Everything else is for sissys. :P

If you prefer even playing fields (instanced PvP zones) try GW2, you have to like the artstyle and stuff, but it's pretty solid in the PvP department.

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Das Tal

Smite

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Albion sounds like a great PvP game but hasn't release yet.
  • Pestis87Pestis87 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Albion Online? It has full-loot pvp with guild battles over territory and cities. But it's atm in alpha, closed beta will begin in autumn this year and release beginning of 2016.