Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Path of Exile: The Awakening - Definitely Something to Get Excited About

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Path of Exile is ready to expand with The Awakening on July 10th. While lots of time has been spent on beta testing and developers have been sending out information to players, there still remain a few hidden nuggets of information and content that are worthy of a lot of excitement. We chatted with Chris Wilson about those things that may have remained unspoken. See what he had to say!

Read more of Suzie Ford's Path of Exile: The Awakening - Something to Get Excited About.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    fun for a week

Archeage EU - Nui

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I just want to ask if you decide to play a fun build with all those projectiles and multipliers, will I get out of sync every 10 seconds?

Really want to enjoy this game for what it is, but I really have not in the past due to the horrible lag(especially when playing in groups) you get when running builds with splitting projectiles etc.

The old argument I have seen to this is "go melee, it does not lag". That does not really do it for me personally. I like the game, the core concept, the absurd amount of players choosing their builds. But to me gameplay is key, and frequent out of sync is not doing it for me. 

Damn, I would love to play this game offline/ coop online with no need for server side stuff. But then again, you got the issues of hacking and all that. 

But if you only played with friends, then it would not matter. 

• jchunnjchunn Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by andre369

I just want to ask if you decide to play a fun build with all those projectiles and multipliers, will I get out of sync every 10 seconds?

Really want to enjoy this game for what it is, but I really have not in the past due to the horrible lag(especially when playing in groups) you get when running builds with splitting projectiles etc.

The old argument I have seen to this is "go melee, it does not lag". That does not really do it for me personally. I like the game, the core concept, the absurd amount of players choosing their builds. But to me gameplay is key, and frequent out of sync is not doing it for me. 

Damn, I would love to play this game offline/ coop online with no need for server side stuff. But then again, you got the issues of hacking and all that. 

You will no longer get out of sync with the server. The horrible desync bug that has plagued the game since launch has been fixed with this update. I have personally tested it on the beta servers and it is absolutely wonderful. That one change really makes the game worlds better, but the new and updated content is great as well. No reason not to give this a shot if you are a fan of the genre considering it is 100% free.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by jchunn

You will no longer get out of sync with the server. The horrible desync bug that has plagued the game since launch has been fixed with this update. I have personally tested it on the beta servers and it is absolutely wonderful. That one change really makes the game worlds better, but the new and updated content is great as well. No reason not to give this a shot if you are a fan of the genre considering it is 100% free.

It's not a bug, it was a poor design decision that required a complete net code rework.

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    He said its fixed now. Thats all that matters frodo
  • goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79

Count me in!

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Goodbye real life.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    PoE is the best ARPG ever made, hands down the leader in innovation and content delivery.  And with Lockstep being such a huge success on Beta the desync issues of the last 2 years have finally been fixed.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Veexer_Nui
    fun for a week

Sorry this Path of Exile not Diablo 3.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Path of Exile is my go to aRPG.  Prefer it Torchlight (though I liked T2) and Diablo 3 (which I didn't care for).  What's interesting to me is the Lore in PoE far surpasses that of most MMOs.   It's an interesting place, without the usual cookie cutter mythos.  I even like the voice acting.  Really nice work for a ftp game. 

Actually spent some money here, just because I wanted to support the company.  Not anything whale like, just an acknowledgement of appreciation.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Can anyone confirm this?

For the part in red does it simply mean the problem has been moved to the client, or has it been fixed?

Are we now in sync with the server and not our own client?

• marcio519marcio519 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    fixed , look for it on forums.
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

My entire experience with ARPG's was limited to Diablo and Dungeon Siege and since then I had never really been a fan of this genre. That is until I had a friend of mine insist on me playing POE one weekend.

For a fairly linear game there is a lot of depth and complexity. The maps are very well done, the combat is challenging, the skill tree its own spectacle. And this game is truly free.  You can play through everything without ever having to pay a cent. This game is so well done (IMO) that I felt compelled to reward the developers by making purchases.

I am really looking forward to experiencing this new expansion. This is a team that loves this genre and seems very responsive to its community.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

Originally posted by marcio519
    fixed , look for it on forums.

As a player not really interested in the game due to the issue. You could maybe include a link?

Unless it really has not been fixed.

Edit: To add, they have previously added patch notes where they said it was, I will say improved on, because I do not remember what they said back then. And it was not "fixed for me". 

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Can anyone confirm this?

For the part in red does it simply mean the problem has been moved to the client, or has it been fixed?

Are we now in sync with the server and not our own client?

Yes it no longer de-syncs. They re-wrote most of the network code for this expansion. I have been playing on beta server for about a month now, all types of builds, no desync.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Desync is 99.5% gone if you use the lockstep option.

You will not visibly move until the server confirms it.

If you have a large ping the delay will be very noticeable.

A normal ping below 100 will have an insignificant delay.

There are a small number of very specific over the top things you can do, usually involving changing player position dozens of times a second, that will briefly desync you.

• AcrylicHerculesAcrylicHercules Member Posts: 1

The announcement that details the new "Deterministic Lockstep" mode (that eliminates desync) can be found here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1262596

I've tested it in beta, and, as others have said, it works great, especially if you have a conmection with low latency.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Every time I try to play this game, I just wind up stopping after a couple hours because of how bad the combat is and how ridiculously and unnecessarily cluttered the skill 'tree' is. It's the most roundabout way of putting points into attributes I've ever seen, and adds little to no depth to character advancement, although it keeps up the illusion rather well. Not to mention the lack of any way to respec more than a couple at a time (as of the last time I played), forcing you to start all over if you screw up or try a build that doesn't work. I like to experiment, but it's just too tedious to do so. 

I'll stick with Marvel Heroes, D3, or Grim Dawn for my ARPG fix, but good luck to those who like PoE. It's got some great concepts and fantastic lore, plus leagues are definitely awesome. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• computerlordcomputerlord Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Every time I try to play this game, I just wind up stopping after a couple hours because of how bad the combat is and how ridiculously and unnecessarily cluttered the skill 'tree' is. It's the most roundabout way of putting points into attributes I've ever seen, and adds little to no depth to character advancement, although it keeps up the illusion rather well. Not to mention the lack of any way to respec more than a couple at a time (as of the last time I played), forcing you to start all over if you screw up or try a build that doesn't work. I like to experiment, but it's just too tedious to do so. 

I'll stick with Marvel Heroes, D3, or Grim Dawn for my ARPG fix, but good luck to those who like PoE. It's got some great concepts and fantastic lore, plus leagues are definitely awesome. 

One of the most complex skill tree ever made adds little to no depth to characters? Really? The skill tree consists of not only attribute points but many cool and unique passives that give you the freedom of making hundreds of builds. I agree that leveling is quite boring, but isn't it applied to any other RPG out there? You make a shitty character and then you have to spend time and in-game currency to respec or create a new one and start all over again.

I guess PoE is just not your cup of tea. But if you really like to experiment, PoE is the best lab that you could ever wish for.

• SadfistSadfist Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Died again today on hardcore due to stupid de-sync.. I hope they really fix it. I love the game but I ussualy have to stop playing for a month after every stupid de-sync death..
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Sadfist
    Died again today on hardcore due to stupid de-sync.. I hope they really fix it. I love the game but I ussualy have to stop playing for a month after every stupid de-sync death..

im playing Beta and is fixed ... looks like everyone blame only de-sync if die

Disagree whole heartedly.  I understand not everyone wants a detailed, skill based, mind numbingly large progression system but I am not one of those,  The shallow level up, pick 1 of 2 options bullshit has gone on for far too long in gaming for my tastes and it's nice breath of fresh air to have a game with so much detail and attention placed on the progression side.

As for the combat, I find Grim Dawn too slow for ARPG and D3 extremely too shallow for more then a week of serious gaming.  In POE you need to get past the first couple newbie zones and start acquiring support gems before the game comes into its own.  Which in the past took a god awful long time, usually not till your first playthrough of normal difficulty and then you were limited to 2, sometimes 3 linked items to power those support gems on main skills.  Often times you even had to use trade chat to find skill defining support gems like Multistrike, spell echo, Lesser Multiple Projectiles or Elemental Proliferation.  Thankfully this will be fixed when the game launches the Awakening expansion cause you'll get skill defining support gems and useable sockets (3 & 4 socket items) as early as an hour into the game for the truly novice or the first 20 minutes for skilled veterans.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

If the Dsync is fixed, i'll be playing. It was the only thing holding me back from enjoying this game.

So, I am hearing that I won't get caught in door ways anymore? Or trying to run through a dungeon aggro'ing most of  it, I wont look like i'm about to exit the dungeon, but actually be stuck at the start? Or watching my HP drop with nothing around me, no skill effects on me, being hit by invisible mobs, thinking my character is at where he is at, not at some random location I was at before?

If all of these things really are fixed, I'm hyped.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I agree.  The combat is bad but does improve as you get gems to improve your skills.  The tree is absolutely daunting which only pushes people to using cookie cutter builds, especially when there are no full respecs.

GGG is ridiculously old school in many regards and it will keep them from reaching the next level.  Hell, even their logo looks like crap.  I think their poor art design and a lack of understanding of aesthetics makes them look like a low end developer.  The game looks and plays like it was made well over ten years ago.  Letting desync exist for so long and claiming their existing design was best is laughable.