Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Heart of the Heart of Thorns Debate

2»

Comments

• Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Well first off I have the feeling that there is not going to be as much content as we would hope, and I think it will be much like the living story that we once got for free. 

All my guilds think I am crazy because I did not pre-order....... they said look.... you're getting a new class for each of your toon..... a guild hall..... and oh yes a new class to play.....

Well new classes to play...... the same content we have now...... Well they may be happy with that but to me thats all fluff and I want new content..... story quests, new maps and I would like it to be more then just a few hours of game play.

The funny thing is Anet is always changing the way we make our builds...... every time we turn around they change something.... and all it does is make more work for them, like with this last patch ....... sure its great DPS on 1 mob or on trash mobs, but now when you fight a world boss you're just tickling it... I went to teq sat for a hour just to fail because we cant do enough damage in the time given..... WTF..... Anet stop messing with this stuff and spend that dev time on new content...... oh but wait that wont give them busy work so they will have to keep playing around with our builds so we have to spend gold to re-build our builds and so the have bugs to fix....... I really like GW2 but as of right now I really dont see a reason to buy the expan.... I really need to know a lot more about it.... and please dont tell me its all about the guild halls because at this point I really dont see what use they will be...... oh wait... to say my guild has a hall ... thats what they're good for.....

Sorry for the rant but it has me a bit pissed...... I do like GW2 but the devs a lost and are out of touch with the CUSTOMERS that are keeping them in business...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I do not for one minute believe they were trying to confuse people because it is just too obvious,not like there is any choice in this matter,you buy the one option or you don't ,so why even mention the term confusion?You get confused if you have OPTIONS and there simply are not any lol,i think the author was simply trying too hard to find a way to butter this up for Anet."They were sincere" lmao seriously the author thought that,c'mon now,you only make it look worse for GW2 and your credibility.

What EVERY other game has been doing,including f2p games is just sell the xpack and offer the whole game for free.This is what EQ2 has been doing for awhile now and guess what you don't even have to buy the main game as you do in GW2.I recently bought an FFXI expansion the newest one FOUR bucks lol,it was 29.99 brand new.There was the OPTION,you buy just the expack or the entire game for 39.99,still cheaper than what Arena.net is pulling here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    For those of you who don't think the expansion warrants the price point, just wait for it to go on sale a few months after it releases. The wife and I plan on doing this. It's not like this game has any form of vertical progression so you'll miss out on the power creep if you wait. You know?

Joined - July 2004

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Originally posted by gw2fool
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Viper482
    I refuse to pre-order until they fix the class balance they just completely destroyed with the last patch. Arenanet is full of f'ing idiots.

Some things are out of wack, but the balance doesn't seem nearly as screwed as a lot of people seem to be making it out to be. I'm not getting completely annihilated in sPvP by conditions, WvW is about the same (but with a new form of cheese), World Bosses are a bit easier, but everything else is basically the same.

It just means that older builds aren't as good anymore, new builds are better, and people are still learning to adapt to conditions actually being useful again.

Totally agree on class balance. I have 16 max lvl chars. My warriors (which were my favorite for being able to handle pve content fast) now sucks and necro (which was rather toothless) now has more firepower, but not as much as my warriors used to have!

As for world bosses being easier, sb is now boring, with double hp it takes up to 3 times as long to kill, with an occasional fail, due to running out of time. It was not made any harder to kill in so far as what we have to do, it just takes longer (same as fighting pve content). Rather pathetic!

Warrior sucking should be a nice change of pace. I always seen them as the most powerful class in the game since release, not counting the culling issue on Thieves which made them godly in WvW. Usually when you have great offense you sacrifice defense but that was never the case for Warriors.

I still haven't had much time to mess around with all the changes. Are they really this bad, and why?

It now takes too long to kill rubbish pve content. Some of my weaker classes use up all of their skills attacking, then in full zerker gear, get hit and so I use the pathetic heal skill which does next to nothing, and then run out of options except to run away because it takes too long to get the heal going again. Before the last update, you could unload everything and the battle would be more or less over, with maybe a little dodging to do clean up. But now, sometimes, you use up everything (including the dodge bar) and then run away like a coward. Of course, then you turn around when you finally get some health back, but so has the thing your fighting, starting the whole thing again. All rather pointless and pathetic!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I refuse to pre-order until they fix the class balance they just completely destroyed with the last patch. Arenanet is full of f'ing idiots.

Some things are out of wack, but the balance doesn't seem nearly as screwed as a lot of people seem to be making it out to be. I'm not getting completely annihilated in sPvP by conditions, WvW is about the same (but with a new form of cheese), World Bosses are a bit easier, but everything else is basically the same.

It just means that older builds aren't as good anymore, new builds are better, and people are still learning to adapt to conditions actually being useful again.

Totally agree on class balance. I have 16 max lvl chars. My warriors (which were my favorite for being able to handle pve content fast) now sucks and necro (which was rather toothless) now has more firepower, but not as much as my warriors used to have!

As for world bosses being easier, sb is now boring, with double hp it takes up to 3 times as long to kill, with an occasional fail, due to running out of time. It was not made any harder to kill in so far as what we have to do, it just takes longer (same as fighting pve content). Rather pathetic!

Warrior sucking should be a nice change of pace. I always seen them as the most powerful class in the game since release, not counting the culling issue on Thieves which made them godly in WvW. Usually when you have great offense you sacrifice defense but that was never the case for Warriors.

I still haven't had much time to mess around with all the changes. Are they really this bad, and why?

It now takes too long to kill rubbish pve content. Some of my weaker classes use up all of their skills attacking, then in full zerker gear, get hit and so I use the pathetic heal skill which does next to nothing, and then run out of options except to run away because it takes too long to get the heal going again. Before the last update, you could unload everything and the battle would be more or less over, with maybe a little dodging to do clean up. But now, sometimes, you use up everything (including the dodge bar) and then run away like a coward. Of course, then you turn around when you finally get some health back, but so has the thing your fighting, starting the whole thing again. All rather pointless and pathetic!

So they made the game challenging like most everyone wanted? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the changes.  I've always gone with condition builds and survival builds and watched the high dps players dropping like flies when they got hit. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Beta Access, is what the pre-order is about, and being able to put slips in the suggestion box... Still the best looking mmorpg out there - can't wait for Guild Wars 3 with Unreal Engine 4 graphics!
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by remyburke
    For those of you who don't think the expansion warrants the price point, just wait for it to go on sale a few months after it releases. The wife and I plan on doing this. It's not like this game has any form of vertical progression so you'll miss out on the power creep if you wait. You know?

This is what I am probably going to do.  But then again, if this is how they are going to package all future expansions, it probably makes the best sense just to wait until the next expansion is announced so you can buy both expansions with the core game for the same price as people are paying now. 

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    How about the scaling down, is this aspect of the game getting any love?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I wouldn't say in many cases that its challenging.  

PvE and PvP content has stayed mostly the same for my main character which is a celestial elementalist.  I still rarely die in both cases, and I do put out just slightly less burst damage than I once did but more condition damage overall. 

the main issue we see now is that people are abusing conditions as best as they can.  You literally see premades of 5 necros or 5 guardians in spvp trying to take advantage of the conditions as best as they can.  Even though some condition cleanses have been added to classes, its pigeonholing some classes just so they have survivability in this new era.

Plus adding double HP to the bosses is boring.  I did a few over the weekend after the changes... insaaaanely boring.  Adding more HP doesn't make bosses tougher.. it just makes them take longer.  Poor judgement call on that.

Oh and the reason some zerk classes can't steamroll anymore is they're trying to balance build viability in PvE.  Doubt it will really work in the long run.. but worth a shot I guess.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    How about the scaling down, is this aspect of the game getting any love?

It did get love, of course, depending on what you call love.. :)

Because of the way stats work now (you get your base stats from your level + your gear and none from traits), downleveled characters are weaker than what they were now, closer to an actual character of that level. Actually a lower level character in DPS gear might actually do more straight damage with an attack than a level 80 downleveled one, because he would have the full stat budget of its gear in a single attribute while a level 80 with level 80 gear has the same stat budget spread over 3 or more attributes, but a downleveled would probably do more damage overall because of extra effects and procs from its traits.

So, basically, if you fell level 80 downleveled characters were actually overpowered and should be weaker and closer to actual low level character in low level areas, it did get love.

However, if you feel a downleveled character should be MUCH stronger than a lower level character.. I guess you won't like the way it works now.

DISCLAIMER: I'm in the first group.. :)

Where they did actually drop the ball was in the open world bosses, though. Basically they increased the conditions cap (so that a stack of bleed can go up to 1500 instead of the old 25, for example), and made bosses crittable (you couldn't crit bosses before) because lots of condition applied by characters comes from on-crit procs, so to counter the extra damage bosses would take, they doubled their health.

However, seems that instead of making the bosses fully crittable, they added a small area where they can be critted if you hit them there... which lots of people don't know, or just don't use because they're trying to do the bosses the old way, or in some cases are virtually unreachable. The result is that bosses aren't getting the extra damage they should, which makes them longer fights without them being more challenging, and in some cases even failing because of that.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by maskedweasel
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I wouldn't say in many cases that its challenging.  

PvE and PvP content has stayed mostly the same for my main character which is a celestial elementalist.  I still rarely die in both cases, and I do put out just slightly less burst damage than I once did but more condition damage overall. 

the main issue we see now is that people are abusing conditions as best as they can.  You literally see premades of 5 necros or 5 guardians in spvp trying to take advantage of the conditions as best as they can.  Even though some condition cleanses have been added to classes, its pigeonholing some classes just so they have survivability in this new era.

Plus adding double HP to the bosses is boring.  I did a few over the weekend after the changes... insaaaanely boring.  Adding more HP doesn't make bosses tougher.. it just makes them take longer.  Poor judgement call on that.

Oh and the reason some zerk classes can't steamroll anymore is they're trying to balance build viability in PvE.  Doubt it will really work in the long run.. but worth a shot I guess.

"So they made the game challenging" NO they did NOT make it challenging, they made it boring. How is running away considered to be challenging!