Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    ^^ a compelling reason? It's $2 a month averaged out, should it be $30 and $150 a year sub instead?

What is their reason for not offering the expansion separately?

You're looking at it wrong. The expansion is separate. However, if you're a new player they're adding the core game whereas if you're a veteran you're getting an additional character slot. 

The core is an added incentive, not a part of the expansion. The character slot is an incentive, not a part of the expansion.

It just is kind of sad for people who already spent on the game. They don't even get a discount for already owning the core game that they purchased in the past.

New player buys expansion, gets core for free and has complete game. Which is great, because what use is an expansion without the core game.

Existing player already has core game and wants to buy expansion and has to pay the same for it as a new player. Even though they already spent money on the core game. I think that this sends the wrong message to existing players (active or not). Why should a loyal player have to pay more in the end?

I think too that there should be two packages.

Well no kidding. The expansion is a set price, everyone pays that price for it. That's pretty much how things work. You're not paying any more than a new player for the expansion. The fact that new players get the core as incentive is irrelevant. The fact that vets paid for the core years ago is irrelevant. One price today, varying incentives. New players won't get the extra slot, nor will they get the years of experience the rest of us have. 

"EDIT : Just imagine having bought GW2 core just before the press release how expansion would include core. Lol."

They're refunding the cost of the core game for those people. 

You can't even buy vanilla GW2 anymore. Also,it can only be free for new players, because the existing players paid for it in the past and made the expansion possible to develop. This is Arenanet's way of saying thanks to those players lol.

Also, you pay a lot more then new players. When you buy the expansion as new player, the majority of content that comes with it, is the core game. So you could just as well argue that new players get the expansion content for dirt cheap (because that is just a small part of total content) and the existing players have to pay premium price for those new bits they didn't already have.

You just fall for marketing lingo.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by exile01

No you are looking it wrong. You are the one whos beeing fooled by their marketing department. Open your eyes a bit.

The price does not equal the full vanilla game. It does not provide the equal amount of content to be 50 Dollar/Euro.

They are making you belive, GW2 Vanilla is for free, but for f**** sake, dont you see your beeing manipulated into believing that? Nothing is free and your paying the price for GW2 vanilla and those extra cost for the new f2p update, aka HoT.

They are trying to do everything making you belive, that you get the game for free- and they also changed some information in Q+A- just to fit the new concept- but before that, it was clearly stated that the addon is a standalone- thats why they lowered the price- just to milk all they can. Its called false advertizement.

I myself bought 4 copys- i dont regret it because i sold them for the double price :)

*Edit also by adding the main game- it does look like your getting more- its fuking shady and dishonest to their loyal customer base.

No, you're definitely full of it. They're not trying to make me believe I'm getting the game for free at all. I already have it. As a result, instead of getting a bundle with the core added as incentive I'm getting an extra character slot as incentive. I know full well that I'm paying $50 for the expansion alone, no core thrown in. (Actually bought the ultimate upgrade, twice, as a tip of the hat for the work they've done so far.) 

The expansion has never been a standalone item. You've always needed the core to play. Unless you're wording things wrong, which is possible, you're a liar. 

Also your statement that the expansion doesn't give the same amount of content is irrelevant. Practically no expansion does. This is basal knowledge and accepted across the gaming communities. 

To clarify your edit... You do not get the main game added in if you're an existing player. You only get that if you're a new player as added incentive and to reduce the cost impact to a new player wishing to join the game. My expansion, to my existing account, will not include the core game again. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by someforumguy

You can't even buy vanilla GW2 anymore. Also,it can only be free for new players, because the existing players paid for it in the past and made the expansion possible to develop. This is Arenanet's way of saying thanks to those players lol.

Also, you pay a lot more then new players. When you buy the expansion as new player, the majority of content that comes with it, is the core game. So you could just as well argue that new players get the expansion content for dirt cheap (because that is just a small part of total content) and the existing players have to pay premium price for those new bits they didn't already have.

You just fall for marketing lingo.

Yes, you can no longer buy the core alone (I checked the shop to be sure) and that makes sense... the expansion comes with the core for new players. That's smart business actually. It wouldn't make sense to sell the core alone anymore when they'd simply be refunding the purchase of the core if the person turned around and bought the expansion. 

I'm not paying any more than new players, that's a load of poo. The expansion for me costs the same as it does for them. You seem intent on comparing the incentives and mixing them with the price which is disingenuous at best. I've had the core for nearly three years now, since closed beta. I've definitely received value for that initial cost.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    ^^ a compelling reason? It's $2 a month averaged out, should it be $30 and $150 a year sub instead?

What is their reason for not offering the expansion separately?

You're looking at it wrong. The expansion is separate. However, if you're a new player they're adding the core game whereas if you're a veteran you're getting an additional character slot. 

The core is an added incentive, not a part of the expansion. The character slot is an incentive, not a part of the expansion.

That is one way of looking at it.  It is not the right way.  It is one way.

The other way is that the content of the expansion is so little that they need to tack on the original game to justify the $50 price tag.  This is to make it appear as it is being thrown into the package as "free".  They are not offering a separate price for the expansion because they realize the fair market price for it would be much less than $50.  But instead of offering this option, at the expense of lost revenue, they are spinning this as being generous to new players.

No you are looking it wrong. You are the one whos beeing fooled by their marketing department. Open your eyes a bit.

The price does not equal the full vanilla game. It does not provide the equal amount of content to be 50 Dollar/Euro.

They are making you belive, GW2 Vanilla is for free, but for f**** sake, dont you see your beeing manipulated into believing that? Nothing is free and your paying the price for GW2 vanilla and those extra cost for the new f2p update, aka HoT.

They are trying to do everything making you belive, that you get the game for free- and they also changed some information in Q+A- just to fit the new concept- but before that, it was clearly stated that the addon is a standalone- thats why they lowered the price- just to milk all they can. Its called false advertizement.

I myself bought 4 copys- i dont regret it because i sold them for the double price :)

*Edit also by adding the main game- it does look like your getting more- its fuking shady and dishonest to their loyal customer base.

No, you're definitely full of it. They're not trying to make me believe I'm getting the game for free at all. I already have it. As a result, instead of getting a bundle with the core added as incentive I'm getting an extra character slot as incentive. I know full well that I'm paying $50 for the expansion alone, no core thrown in. (Actually bought the ultimate upgrade, twice, as a tip of the hat for the work they've done so far.) 

The expansion has never been a standalone item. You've always needed the core to play. Unless you're wording things wrong, which is possible, you're a liar. 

Also your statement that the expansion doesn't give the same amount of content is irrelevant. Practically no expansion does. This is basal knowledge and accepted across the gaming communities. 

To clarify your edit... You do not get the main game added in if you're an existing player. You only get that if you're a new player as added incentive and to reduce the cost impact to a new player wishing to join the game. My expansion, to my existing account, will not include the core game again. 

This is incorrect as their previous FAQ suggested that one would need to purchase the full game to play the expansion.

This is incorrect as their previous FAQ suggested that one would need to purchase the full game to play the expansion.

You have evidence of this assertion?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Here you go:  http://imgur.com/SAsawP8

This is a snapshot taken by a user to show the FAQ before and after.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I'm amazed anyone is even asking for proof. I thought it was commonly known that Anet plain lied in this matter.

Inb4 fans jump in: "They didn't lie, they are just giving away the game for free now!"

Harbinger of Fools

The expansion has never been a standalone item. That FAQ verifies it, it doesn't refute it. 

Before: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand alone campaign...

After: Yes, but GW2 HoT includes the core game

I said it was never a standalone, you said I was wrong... then posted a link showinng that it never was a standalone. I have no idea where you're going with this.

The only difference is that they added the core for free when you buy the expansion now. Either way, it's still not a standalone, you need the core to play.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

So the argument now is that the expansion isn't worth the money for existing players?  Fair enough.  I felt the same way about every LOTRO expansion after Moria.

That's a sad thing though, but I never understood their B2P model with so much new content.   But even with that consumer friendly model they didn't come close to meeting their goal of matching WOW's player numbers.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

The expansion has never been a standalone item. That FAQ verifies it, it doesn't refute it. 

Before: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand alone campaign...

I said it was never a standalone, you said I was wrong... then posted a link showinng that it never was a standalone. I have no idea where you're going with this.

The only difference is that they added the core for free when you buy the expansion now. Either way, it's still not a standalone, you need the core to play.

This point is moot to the topic at hand and is semantics. In the end 50 bucks gives new players the core game and the expansion. Current customers get less as they already bought the core game. This is common in MMO industry as games get more and more expansions the entry cost for new players goes up and up unless they get the old content for free. ANet need to make money so returning customers have 2 options. Pay full price to be the first to play it or wait for a sale and not be first in line. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This point is moot to the topic at hand and is semantics. In the end 50 bucks gives new players the core game and the expansion. Current customers get less as they already bought the core game. This is common in MMO industry as games get more and more expansions the entry cost for new players goes up and up unless they get the old content for free. ANet need to make money so returning customers have 2 options. Pay full price to be the first to play it or wait for a sale and not be first in line. 

People who play the game and want to play the new content will buy it regardless.. thats why it works this way.  New players get the new expansion and the old game because you can't play one without the other.  Complaining about that is stupid.. as if you want to get the next expansion and the previous one for free... just don't buy this expansion and wait for the next.

I mean you're making the right points... price will be dictated by time.. it has nothing to do with having "less"  A new player getting the game after 3 years is not equal to a veteran player that has played for 3 years.  I mean for example my new character is already level 80 and I haven't even created him yet.  Theres no possible way a new player can start the game and be able to fully level, equip and play every bit of the game out of the box.    People are so quick to forget the 3 years they've played the game.

As for what content is upcoming...  doesn't mean a thing. I've bought full retail games that didn't last a month.  You could make much worse gaming purchases in your life than this expansion if you've played GW2 more than 4 or 5 months in the past 3 years.

In their original FAQ, there is an implication that one would need to buy the core game in order to play the expansion.  I inferred this as did many many others.  In fact, ANET actually reimbursed people that bought the core game recently just for the expansion to correct this mistake on their part. 

This implication further suggests that the core game is independent of the expansion.  Otherwise, why would it be worded as such originally: "therefore it requires the base game to play."  If this was always intended to be bundled together, why the sudden change in the FAQ and the outrage of many users due to it?

Originally posted by maskedweasel

People who play the game and want to play the new content will buy it regardless.. thats why it works this way.  New players get the new expansion and the old game because you can't play one without the other.  Complaining about that is stupid.. as if you want to get the next expansion and the previous one for free... just don't buy this expansion and wait for the next.

I mean you're making the right points... price will be dictated by time.. it has nothing to do with having "less"  A new player getting the game not after 3 years is not equal to a veteran player that has played for 3 years.  I mean for example my new character is already level 80 and I haven't even created him yet.  Theres no possible way a new player can start the game and be able to fully level, equip and play every bit of the game out of the box.    People are so quick to forget the 3 years they've played the game.

As for what content is upcoming...  doesn't mean a thing. I've bought full retail games that didn't last a month.  You could make much worse gaming purchases in your life than this expansion if you've played GW2 more than 4 or 5 months in the past 3 years.

Ad hominem.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

In their original FAQ, there is an implication that one would need to buy the core game in order to play the expansion.  I inferred this as did many many others.  In fact, ANET actually reimbursed people that bought the core game recently just for the expansion to correct this mistake on their part. 

This implication further suggests that the core game is independent of the expansion.  Otherwise, why would it be worded as such originally: "therefore it requires the base game to play."  If this was always intended to be bundled together, why the sudden change in the FAQ and the outrage of many users due to it?

What does that change? You wana play HoT you need to pay for it. ANet made it and they get to stick any bloody price tag they want on it. Myself, I dont think its worth 50 bucks. I will wait and pay much less in 3-6 months. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

I mean you're making the right points... price will be dictated by time.. it has nothing to do with having "less"  A new player getting the game not after 3 years is not equal to a veteran player that has played for 3 years.  I mean for example my new character is already level 80 and I haven't even created him yet.  Theres no possible way a new player can start the game and be able to fully level, equip and play every bit of the game out of the box.    People are so quick to forget the 3 years they've played the game.

Ad hominem.

And yet still relevant. fancy that.

Originally posted by Torval

Yes, early on it seems they were going to sell the base game and the xpac separately. They either changed their position on this or they clarified a poorly worded position. It doesn't matter though because they did clarify it. The game isn't compartmentalized it is sold as a single unit. You can upgrade your account or buy a new account that includes all the previous content for that price.

Who cares why and what the motives for the change are unless you're just trying to pick apart everything to find fault. They made the change to try and please more customers and make more money. Conjecturing on the past motives of what might have been is just forum fapping.

I care.  I want to know if there is more to the expansion or if it's a money grab by ANET.

• GaleOmGaleOm Member UncommonPosts: 28

Yes, early on it seems they were going to sell the base game and the xpac separately. They either changed their position on this or they clarified a poorly worded position. It doesn't matter though because they did clarify it. The game isn't compartmentalized it is sold as a single unit. You can upgrade your account or buy a new account that includes all the previous content for that price.

Who cares why and what the motives for the change are unless you're just trying to pick apart everything to find fault. They made the change to try and please more customers and make more money. Conjecturing on the past motives of what might have been is just forum fapping.

I care.  I want to know if there is more to the expansion or if it's a money grab by ANET.

money grab??? well how do you call then overload of free content in last few years?

Originally posted by GaleOm

money grab??? well how do you call then overload of free content in last few years?

I've stated before and am not going to repeat myself. 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
     Originally posted by SteeJanz

Again, not completely true on the "limited" run for free statement.  I have taken a buddy of mine through a chapter of the LS so that he didn't have to pay for it.  I can take you tomorrow.  It only becomes part of  revenue stream if the consumer chooses it for convenience sake.  And whether we like it or not, it isn't up to us to determine what others are willing to contribute to the cash shop for the convenience of not farming for gold or having a friend.

I agree with you if a purchase is required to obtain the content.   But when a developer provides multiple avenues to obtaining missed content, we as players should be encouraging it.   Again, I like your argument but I believe you are stretching it in its application here.  For your box price, you can experience the LS content that you missed without paying for it.  You can argue the ways to obtain it, but you have a choice whether to contribute to the cash shop or not and still get the content.  

I guess I should have worded it that it is disingenuous not mention all options in your argument. 

People do not want options or they ignore it all together. They see a price tag on it and it suddenly becomes an issue.

Who said anything about  them charging for it being an issue? I also didn't ignore it, that point came with the original post by MadOtak. which I responded to,  Let me put it as plainly as possible, you can't argue something is free, while a company makes a dime off someone for it. No matter how you slice it or the options available, they're still making money off of it. WHich means you can't turn around and say, that's part of the box fee...How hard is that to understand?

I see what you did there. Let me slide it back in so you can better understand I quoted SteeJanz.

LS = Living Story.

People were shitting bricks over having to pay to unlock living story episodes. Rather than taking the advise many have suggested they focused on the price tag and nothing else.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I'm amazed anyone is even asking for proof. I thought it was commonly known that Anet plain lied in this matter.

Inb4 fans jump in: "They didn't lie, they are just giving away the game for free now!"

I said trolls will be trolling no matter what ANet did.

And i was right, as usual.

But its STILL funny as hell.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Y'all carry heads on your shoulders. Don't enforce your opinion on others. Me and my boyfriend bought the ultimate package. We bought the Fallout 4 pipboy edition too. We love gaming and we love perks. We've easily sunk over 2000 hours in almost 3 years. To us, price is justified. If it isn't to you, don't call people like us silly. Just move on with your lives and/or wait for discount.

What is your goal here exactly? Moaning in hopes ANet would lower price? Or that they'd offer separate expansion only copy? Let me assure you, that won't happen. It's not even up to them at this point. Complain to NCSoft. 

You carry your head on your shoulders and make the best decision you think is right *for you*. 

Either that or you could go to Lamborghini and ask them to sell you chasis only version of their top car xD (just to put things in perspective) 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Its pretty pathetic.  If for example I had a an album that i purchased on my phone, and i found out that album was given as a bonus for free if you purchased the new album by the same artist i would not humphing and tutting like a child because other people got that album for free.

Wanting others to have less so you feel as if you are getting more is the worst kind of selfishness there is.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Its pretty pathetic.  If for example I had a an album that i purchased on my phone, and i found out that album was given as a bonus for free if you purchased the new album by the same artist i would not humphing and tutting like a child because other people got that album for free.

Wanting others to have less so you feel as if you are getting more is the worst kind of selfishness there is.

Your comparison is lacking a lot of context. A more apt comparison would be that the artist released a single that only contains 1 track and 2 remixes of that one track, yet was selling it at the same price as a full length album. Then throwing in an old album for free that you already own to justify the price.

If you already own that old album, is paying full album costs for a single really worth it? If you wouldn't accept this at a record store, why is it ok here?

As for your presumption that this is based on wanting to screw over new players in the process, No one has suggested that. Using the earlier example of the albums, if you didn't already have the older album, then buying the single which comes with the full length album for the price of the full length album is a good deal. Just as i would certainly encourage new players to purchase the new guild wars expansion, as it is a good deal for them. No one is complaining about allowing new players to get the whole game for the base game price. No one is advocating for a high barrier of entry for new players. The only argument here is whether an expansion with a tiny fragment of the content compared to the base game is worth as much money to people as the base game since if you already have the base game, that is all that you are getting. Otherwise what good does it do an old player to buy the base game twice?

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Nailzzz

Your comparison is lacking a lot of context. A more apt comparison would be that the artist released a single that only contains 1 track and 2 remixes of that one track, yet was selling it at the same price as a full length album. Then throwing in an old album for free that you already own to justify the price.

If you already own that old album, is paying full album costs for a single really worth it? If you wouldn't accept this at a record store, why is it ok here?

As for your presumption that this is based on wanting to screw over new players in the process, No one has suggested that. Using the earlier example of the albums, if you didn't already have the older album, then buying the single which comes with the full length album for the price of the full length album is a good deal. Just as i would certainly encourage new players to purchase the new guild wars expansion, as it is a good deal for them. No one is complaining about allowing new players to get the whole game for the base game price. No one is advocating for a high barrier of entry for new players. The only argument here is whether an expansion with a tiny fragment of the content compared to the base game is worth as much money to people as the base game since if you already have the base game, that is all that you are getting. Otherwise what good does it do an old player to buy the base game twice?

Your comparison suits your purposes better, but isn't more apt. The new album, old album analogy is fitting here. This isn't a "single" release. It's an album. It's an expansion with a new class, expansions of old classes, a new region with zones, new pvp maps, and more. You keep pushing the word single because you're trying desperately to paint this as having very little value to everyone.

His analogy is interesting because I recently backed a KS for a band I like and one of their stretch goals was a digital download of a previous release.

What's funny is that fans of a band will pay big bucks for a rare single or a rare pressing of a previous release. We're like that. Fans of the game will pay the $50 for expac because they want it. Many will prepurchase it so they can get an extra character slot now.

Anet really isn't stingy. I already got my 2 extra character slots, all the digital goodies, and the 4k gems. They're not making me wait for the big bash release like some publishers have done with their xpac goodies. I like that, but then I'm a fan of the game and a $100 for what I got is a good value to me.

So you believe that this expansion is comparable in content to the base game then? Because that is the only way this is a straight album to album comparison. We are dealing with the same domestically released bands product after all (Arenanet) so bringing import costs doesn't make sense in this analogy. There is no cap on this "albums" distribution so rarity isn't a factor. And KS is just a step up from charity and NCsoft/Arenanet is not anywhere near a charity case. I'm glad that you feel that this is worth buying the box set for, but not everyone is going find all of the goodies that worth while. If you aren't into alts, 2 more character slots aren't likely to matter, for example.

If it makes you feel better, we can go so far as to refer to the expansion as an E.P.(typically 4 new tracks) if that makes you feel better about the comparison. But that still doesn't justify it being the same price as a full length album unless you want to make the claim that the amount of content in the new expansion is more than just a small part of the content of the base game. So far there has been little to suggest that this is the case.