Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Albion Online: Summer Alpha Underway!

2»

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

The sheer chaos in the starting areas are a testament that you either have to be first at launch or wait a few months for the pop to balance out and normalize THEN start playing...

They should really consider more spread out starting areas...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Rasiem

Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by ltank
    Originally posted by Blaedus
    If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Surprised it took this many post for "you don't have to buy it" guy to appear.

Well is he wrong?

It is just a silly, simpleton, cliche reply to any topic like this. It is not an "I win" button when it comes to this topic, but it is always used as such. There are rational reasons that these high priced alphas and paying for unfinished games are bad for this genre and pc gaming. Thinking you can dismiss them with simpleton logic is intellectually dishonest.

Wow I really agree with this it just dosent seem right this method wouldnt pass in any other industry why do we have to deal with it. And its funny because these games still release with a shit ton of issues where does this money even go and what are these people doing with it. Reminds me of an old song lol  I see it now the devs walk in the room in suites Song playing. 

But...you don't have to deal with it. And honestly, if your problem is what these prices mean for the industry, then your problem isn't with companies that charge high prices. Your problem is with the consumers who accept them. So again, "silly, simpleton, cliche reply" or not, complaining about the test is, quite literally, useless. Maybe if one actually was trying to bring awareness to the problem, but most I'm reading here is bitching and moaning about not being able to play. It hurts whatever altruistic objective is supposed to be there.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Whats wrong with you people ?

There is alpha for a quite promising game. Sandbox, UO style. The game is playable on mobile devices which is huge plus , because its not graphic intensive. I thought we agreed that game quality is not in it visuals - because if that is true, we would be in MMO heaven now , which we are not.

The price for alpha is bit steep , but not unusual. Some other game is asking money for alpha and subscription as well - and the said game looks like sunday school project compared to this one. And after all nobody is forcing you to play alpha or pay anything.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Well is he wrong?

No, he's spot on...  Jobless broke peeps gonna hate !!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Well is he wrong?

Another simpleton, cliche response. Can you people come up with a shred of originality? Whenever someone criticizes paid alphas or free to play, the quick and easy reponse is "no one is forcing you....", or "just because you can't afford it...." Do you people really think these are intelligent responses of any substances? You are just walking soundbites. And funny enough I can probably afford much more than you. Presuming to know my income based on not agreeing with paid alphas shows a lack of pretty much everything that could lead you to a large income...unless you have rich parents or won the lottery. Irony.

No I do not blame the companies doing this, they are just cashing in on what people are willing to do. Yes, I am just bitching because there is no solution to this to be had and it is no going away. I will still speak out against the practice to my dying breath. So you can either come up with an intelligent way to tell me I am wrong, or just deal with it. My opinion (and last I checked opinions were still allowed on the internet) this practice as well as f2p have both been terrible for the MMORPG genre. No I do not have to buy it, but it still affects me because it has affected and infected the genre, which I have happened to love since the early says of Ultima Online.

This is my opinion, and I at leats devoted a couple of paragraphs to it other than just spouting off a couple of canned replies.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40

Im on the side of those who are against this pay for alpha model, being an old sod and around at the birth of MMOs, getting into a beta test was a great privilage based on your gaming experience and your PC setup. I refuse to pay for access to an unfinished game, its a way of squeezing the genre dry as quick as possible. Its not about the person and there finances, its not about there employment status, or how big there bank balance, its about killing the gaming market one dollar at a time.

• NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40

Im on the side of those who are against this pay for alpha model, being an old sod and around at the birth of MMOs, getting into a beta test was a great privilage based on your gaming experience and your PC setup. I refuse to pay for access to an unfinished game, its a way of squeezing the genre dry as quick as possible. Its not about the person and there finances, its not about there employment status, or how big there bank balance, its about killing the gaming market one dollar at a time.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from really.  I have gladly paid for both Skyforge and Albion Online Alpha access and I have enjoyed them both immensely.  This and Kickstarter are the future financial model for niche gamers.

I'm uncomfortable calling this game a mobile game merely because it can be played on various platforms.  I'm part of the PC Master Race and Albion Online is a worthy addition.  If you're a UO fan, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.  

There will be an open beta for Albion Online soon enough so there is no need to complain about Alpha costs.  There are TONS of players that consider it to be a fair deal and the current Alpha is busting at the seems with players.  A lousy $30 USD will get you Beta access which will be coming soon.  Finally, the game will be F2P with a cosmetic cash shop upon release.  Assuming the devs come through on their promises, what's to complain about really?  They have got to get funds in to pay their staff to complete development, and games like this simply won't be supported by large developers which I would submit is a very good thing.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

wow Another paid alpha. not surprised MMOS are dying...so is common sense. I remember when betas and alphas were super rare to get into and you had to know somebody to even get an invite. You never paid. It was an rare honor. Now companies are doing "soft launches" with these BS Paid "Alphas" and "Betas". It makes my stomach hurt that so many are actually buying into the hype..wake up. 

I want really mmos to hurry up and die so the next thing can emerge from its dust. Its overdue. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

and before you react. this isnt about the cost, i can afford to pay for any mmo i like, the issue is paying for a 'Alpha or Beta'  ..why ask for people to pay for something that isnt finished yet. Its a bad trend and does not bode well for the future of the mmo genre. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Well is he wrong?

Actually no. Im neither jobless or broke.  I think paying for alpha access is a horrible idea. Would you purchase a home that only has a roof but no walls. Better yet would you move in that home while they are still building the walls? That's what this is like. It makes no sense. MMO Companies have to stop this practice of selling unfinished products.

Pre-Purchase on a game that's coming out soon is good. I love that idea. I know that on a certain date I can expect a finished product that I paid my $$ for

If the game is finished then say that, stop hiding behind buzzwords like "alpha and beta" and just release the damn thing. But if its indeed not finished and its really an ALPHA TEST then the company selling the alpha are nothing more than predators out to milk your pockets dry. If this is their business model already, expect people to be really upset when it actually launches and they keep raping your pockets. Game has the feel of a p2w already. Not good. 

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311

1) While the game can be played on other devices, their focus is PC. Thus it is a PC game.

2) Over-priced is subjective so stop acting like everyone can only afford ramen noodles like you. >.>

Witty & Wicked >:)

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

WOW has already killed the MMO genre.  Everybody spent a decade trying to copy it.

There are two ways to fund an MMO. 

1.  A corporation that doesn't give a shit about gamers can fund a game.

2.  The fans can fund a significant portion of a game. 

Option 2 is the way of the future as big corporations aren't willing to invest in niche products that aren't proven.  There's no way an Albion Online could be made by an EA or Trion and I wouldn't want a corporate monster like those to touch any of the games that I want to play.

Well is he wrong?

Another simpleton, cliche response. Can you people come up with a shred of originality? Whenever someone criticizes paid alphas or free to play, the quick and easy reponse is "no one is forcing you....", or "just because you can't afford it...." Do you people really think these are intelligent responses of any substances? You are just walking soundbites. And funny enough I can probably afford much more than you. Presuming to know my income based on not agreeing with paid alphas shows a lack of pretty much everything that could lead you to a large income...unless you have rich parents or won the lottery. Irony.

No I do not blame the companies doing this, they are just cashing in on what people are willing to do. Yes, I am just bitching because there is no solution to this to be had and it is no going away. I will still speak out against the practice to my dying breath. So you can either come up with an intelligent way to tell me I am wrong, or just deal with it. My opinion (and last I checked opinions were still allowed on the internet) this practice as well as f2p have both been terrible for the MMORPG genre. No I do not have to buy it, but it still affects me because it has affected and infected the genre, which I have happened to love since the early says of Ultima Online.

This is my opinion, and I at leats devoted a couple of paragraphs to it other than just spouting off a couple of canned replies.

Dude...the reason you keep hearing those "sound bites" is because they're the perfect counter to your bitching, which also gets said A LOT. Why are you expecting people to think for more than a minute (as this is how long it's taking me to give this quick response) about your criticisms when they're literally pointless? Hell, I was trying to save people some stress from having a game that they can't/won't play take up residence in their mind. But whatever, man, it IS your opinion. Have fun giving yourself an aneurysm.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Someone buy this game for Viper12yrs so he can move on with his life.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Or... you can voice your objections and vote with your wallet so it shows the developers its not what the majority market will accept?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DeathreatDeathreat Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Fk this pay to win trash. Their founder packs are retarded expensive too.
    Originally posted by Nitth

If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Or... you can voice your objections and vote with your wallet so it shows the developers its not what the majority market will accept?

...exactly what part of "wait for the thing to release" (since it's said to be F2P then) and "pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money" did you not understand? Deciding with your wallet instead of your mouth is damn near always more effective.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I'm probably too old for this. Instead of spending 100$ for this game, I'd rather play several dozen good indie games or two good AAA games, that are all complete on purchase.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

ty but no ty no intrest in full loot pvp games

heres a first look at it:

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Grinnz
    Originally posted by gauss22
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    For a phone game the prices are a little high for the founders packs. If the starter was $9.99 I would have bought in. 

Yeah, I love the premise, but I'll likely wait until launch before pitching in financially myself. I like the idea of an MMO that I can play on my PC at home, and my phone while at work.

Even a full PC game like Skyforge was $19.99 to get into, Landmark $19.99. I get you can play this on your PC but its still a phone game. If I am sitting down at my PC, Im playing a full PC game. Maybe I am missing something but this seems costly.

Hi Nanfoodle and cagan,

thanks for your feedback!

I just wanted to clarify, as it seems there was a small misunderstanding, that Albion Online is NOT a phone game.

Instead, it runs truly cross-platform, which means that you can play it on your Windows PC, Mac, Linux or Android tablet (iOS will be available upon release, too), while we do not support playing on phones.

So in that sense, Albion Online is both a PC game and a tablet game at the same time, with the special feature that there is just one, massive world everyone logs into (no matter what device, country, etc.).

Best regards,

Christian (from the Sandbox Interactive Team)

Ya ok... Tablet game you can play on your PC. Still over priced. 

I do believe what they should be calling it is a tablet game you can play on your PC. This way people know its a watered down PC game that will be lacking in the depth and complexity they are used to.

It is as important as getting PC console port and PC console conversion correct as they are vastly different things.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Bought the 100usd pack and I'm happy I did, I feel like the bashing going on in this thread is just people who are either butthurt or simply are talking out their ass. In either case just the typical mmorpg.Com user (sorry but it's true), the game is filled to the brim with people so I don't really feel like there is a need to convince others to join until it's been expanded. If you dislike it then just wait until it's free or don't play play, don't act so entitled. See the rest of you in-game. :)
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Grinnz
    Originally posted by gauss22
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    For a phone game the prices are a little high for the founders packs. If the starter was $9.99 I would have bought in. 

Yeah, I love the premise, but I'll likely wait until launch before pitching in financially myself. I like the idea of an MMO that I can play on my PC at home, and my phone while at work.

Even a full PC game like Skyforge was $19.99 to get into, Landmark $19.99. I get you can play this on your PC but its still a phone game. If I am sitting down at my PC, Im playing a full PC game. Maybe I am missing something but this seems costly.

Hi Nanfoodle and cagan,

thanks for your feedback!

I just wanted to clarify, as it seems there was a small misunderstanding, that Albion Online is NOT a phone game.

Instead, it runs truly cross-platform, which means that you can play it on your Windows PC, Mac, Linux or Android tablet (iOS will be available upon release, too), while we do not support playing on phones.

So in that sense, Albion Online is both a PC game and a tablet game at the same time, with the special feature that there is just one, massive world everyone logs into (no matter what device, country, etc.).

Best regards,

Christian (from the Sandbox Interactive Team)

Ya ok... Tablet game you can play on your PC. Still over priced. 

I do believe what they should be calling it is a tablet game you can play on your PC. This way people know its a watered down PC game that will be lacking in the depth and complexity they are used to.

It is as important as getting PC console port and PC console conversion correct as they are vastly different things.

This, def this.