Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FPS Mode deylayed

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

According to gamespot, SC FPS mode has been delayed indefinitely

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizens-fps-mode-delayed-indefinitely/1100-6428528/

I am hoping this doesn't become a big mess and a decent product is still delivered.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I dont even want it without the ground gameplay
  • bones1011bones1011 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by rubydragon5

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizens-fps-mode-delayed-indefinitely/1100-6428528/

I am hoping this doesn't become a big mess and a decent product is still delivered.

Never thought to go to the source?  Chris Roberts made a Major post on the Star Citizen website last Friday about this.  It is not delayed indefinitely.  It is delayed while they institute new back end Network Technology to the whole system.  Something they have been working on for a while.  

It will be released, as will the rest of the game, I am sure with a number of doom and gloom posts from people that have no idea what is going on because they get all their information from 2nd hand sites.  If you are going to follow a game and post forum posts on the game, then read the actual post that Chris Roberts wrote and not some 2nd hand opinion from a gaming site.

• bayareamjbayareamj Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    I dont even want it without the ground gameplay

Same here.  Space flight isnt enough.

-----------------------------------
    MMO player

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by bones1011

Never thought to go to the source?  Chris Roberts made a Major post on the Star Citizen website last Friday about this.  It is not delayed indefinitely.  It is delayed while they institute new back end Network Technology to the whole system.  Something they have been working on for a while.  

Do they give a release date? No? Then the term "indefinitely" is kind of appropriate.

On a site note: A C.Roberts game delayed? Nos hits her lock! (changed for peep reasons)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by bones1011

It is not delayed indefinitely.  It is delayed while they institute new back end Network Technology to the whole system.  Something they have been working on for a while. 

Indefinitely = for an unlimited or unspecified time.

Star Marine release was put on hold until such time they have improved other parts of their game tech to support it, with no ETA or approximation about when given. That's an indefinite delay.

I hope this is just a problem with FPS part of the game, but personally I think it's a sign of a larger problem: They have created a huge project with top-notch graphics and a lot of different game mechanics, and they are trying to do everything at once. Creating art assets and modules with huge development team(s) is relatively easy compared to how hard it's to merge them all into a single project.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

SHOCKING! 

Not really. I regret ever contributing $$ to this vaporware.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Another Gamespot  CLICKBAIT article. Deliberate use of exaggerated wording to generate ad income.

FPS module development takes longer than planned due to rewriting the netcode - something that was expected by a vast majority of the backers. Overall project schedule currently not at risk, development for other parts of the game going ahead well.

Read this :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14803-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Have fun

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Is the team that was helping with the FPS mode the same as the Revival MMO now on kickstarter. I was a bit curious to hear how they were going to make a module for one MMO while also developing their own MMO.  Yep, some googlefu reveals that Illfonic (Revival Devs) are also the devs for Star Citizen's FPS module.

All I know is that I've been waiting with bated breath and trying to be as cynical as possible regarding SC while secretly hoping it would be everything it says it will be and I would jump for joy at release. The outside of ship combat is/was a huge selling point for me. EVE already exists, and while SC still promises to be more than EVE, I really wanted to play a person who didn't just adventure on a ship. I wanted to get off the ship and explore new worlds, and yes, fight on those worlds.

Flying around is one thing, but imagine flying to a system, engaging in a string of quests where you develop relations with an alien peoples who are at war with another group. Instead of hoping in your ship to go mind asteroid moniez, you stick around and fight through a campaign on this world. There's no guarantee this would have happened anyway, but no FPS mode means there's almost no chance of it happening (unless they're going to announce TPS mode - which I like even better).

For all the millions SC has collected, they better find a way to deliver.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Rusque

Is the team that was helping with the FPS mode the same as the Revival MMO now on kickstarter. I was a bit curious to hear how they were going to make a module for one MMO while also developing their own MMO.  Yep, some googlefu reveals that Illfonic (Revival Devs) are also the devs for Star Citizen's FPS module.

All I know is that I've been waiting with bated breath and trying to be as cynical as possible regarding SC while secretly hoping it would be everything it says it will be and I would jump for joy at release. The outside of ship combat is/was a huge selling point for me. EVE already exists, and while SC still promises to be more than EVE, I really wanted to play a person who didn't just adventure on a ship. I wanted to get off the ship and explore new worlds, and yes, fight on those worlds.

Flying around is one thing, but imagine flying to a system, engaging in a string of quests where you develop relations with an alien peoples who are at war with another group. Instead of hoping in your ship to go mind asteroid moniez, you stick around and fight through a campaign on this world. There's no guarantee this would have happened anyway, but no FPS mode means there's almost no chance of it happening (unless they're going to announce TPS mode - which I like even better).

For all the millions SC has collected, they better find a way to deliver.

Think OP should have posted: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14803-Letter-From-The-Chairman

It explains things more clearly then Gamespot did.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Rusque

Revival uses Unreal Engine, the SC FPS module Star Marine uses CryEngine. I would guess that they have two teams working on the two games, with only a limited amount of crossover between teams due to different grafic engines. It is

Have fun

PS:

Discussion about this see here:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4899793/#Comment_4899793

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Posted:
    Edited: by

Elitch | Elitch said:

[source]

Has anyone seen their two other games? Nexuiz (stupid name) and Revival. They are both sh!t games. The guys from this studio on 'round the verse don't sound like they know what game they are making half the time.

This is my first "i'm worried" thread. please flame gently.

Still these guys don't look like they deliver...

"It's important to remember that your past may inform your future, but it certainly shouldn't bind it. Whatever you think of Nexuiz or Revival, those experiences can inform future efforts not only from their successes, but their failures, as well. Nobody is bound by an inability that prevents them from creating more than one kind of thing in their lives, and with regards to the FPS, they're working with CIG teams around the world to build something that matches the vision of Chris Roberts and team.

The FPS isn't just an add-on to Star Citizen, it's the fundamental basis for movement and control of your player character in the Persistent Universe, Squadron 42, and beyond. This is why it takes as long as it does, and why even when you see the first version soon, it will continue to iterate and change and improve after that, similar to the process you saw with Arena Commander that's still ongoing."
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I have to say they only brought it on themselves. They gave a really poor thought out ETA, they showed off a tech demo as though it was nearing completion, they released a load of info and artwork about the FPS, which turned out to be purely about keeping the hype and sale train rolling... and then they tripped over their own feet.

You would have thought they had learned their lesson with Arena Commander. But then, it is a Roberts project and he would be late if someone dropped him at the door 5 minutes early.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

This game should have been finished.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    I'm glad though they keep pumping out ships I can buy with $.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Ah, the first signs of death by feature creep... Duke Nukem Forever, anyone?

I really do think they've bitten off more than they can chew here, though I admire their transparency. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Erillion
    "The FPS isn't just an add-on to Star Citizen, it's the fundamental basis for movement and control of your player character in the Persistent Universe, Squadron 42, and beyond. This is why it takes as long as it does, and why even when you see the first version soon, it will continue to iterate and change and improve after that, similar to the process you saw with Arena Commander that's still ongoing."

I am not worried because 90% of the team is building content we haven´t seen and won´t see before Squadron 42 is out
     and nothing is keeping them from doing so

I see three fundamental hurdles CIG needs to take this year, after that it should be smooth sailing:

1. Getting the FPS mechanics in place, to a status it can be reliably used as a backend for all things on foot in SC/SQ42

2. Improving the overall network mechanics to run so it works for the MMO scale, get the hit detection and latency right

3. Getting the large world extension ready to work with all game systems

If they have all that, they can hook up all the systems and features they have and plug in whatever game modules we need

Originally posted by Mikeha

no. Absolutely no.

No game of this scope has ever been made, and those MMOs that are remotely comparable in size took 5-6 years.

Every single one, go look it up.

CIG can take easily 2-3 more years and they are still well within usual game development time frames. Early 2013 they got the first office.

I´d get a bit impatient though if the game wouldn´t be out by 2019 though. I hope for mid or late 2017. Expecting it earlier is delusional.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa
    "The FPS isn't just an add-on to Star Citizen, it's the fundamental basis for movement and control of your player character in the Persistent Universe, Squadron 42, and beyond. This is why it takes as long as it does, and why even when you see the first version soon, it will continue to iterate and change and improve after that, similar to the process you saw with Arena Commander that's still ongoing."

I am not worried because 90% of the team is building content we haven´t seen and won´t see before Squadron 42 is out

I see three fundamental hurdles CIG needs to take this year, after that it should be smooth sailing:

1. Getting the FPS mechanics in place, to a status it can be reliably used as a backend for all things on foot in SC/SQ42

2. Improving the overall network mechanics to run so it works for the MMO scale, get the hit detection and latency right

If they have all that, they can hook up all the systems and features they have and plug in whatever game modules we need

no. Absolutely no.

No game of this scope has ever been made, and those MMOs that are remotely comparable in size took 5-6 years.

CIG can take easily 2-3 more years and they are still well within usual game development time frames. Early 2013 they got the first office.

I´d get a bit impatient though if the game wouldn´t be out by 2019 though. I hope for mid or late 2017. Expecting it earlier is delusional.

Yeah right. If Chris Roberts runs of of ships to sell and "stretch goals" to keep the free money rolling in by 2017, he'll just start selling asteroids and planets. Maybe by 2025, he'll run out of crap to promise and reskins to sell and then you *might* see a game.

Blizzard makes 100 million PER MONTH

what do you get from it? I am getting sick of these stupid money complaints, go complain about your fat publishers making hundreds of millions with garbage and cash shop transactions, delivering content every 2 years

stupid 85 million for 5 years is NOTHING

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Anyone else find it ironic that a feature is delayed within a delayed game?  image
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

no. Absolutely no.

Yeah right. If Chris Roberts runs of of ships to sell and "stretch goals" to keep the free money rolling in by 2017, he'll just start selling asteroids and planets. Maybe by 2025, he'll run out of crap to promise and reskins to sell and then you *might* see a game.

what do you get from it? I am getting sick of these stupid money complaints, go complain about your fat publishers making hundreds of millions with garbage and cash shop transactions, delivering content every 2 years

At least the people playing WoW have a game to play. Currently SC has the cash shop and a subscription in place for a game that isn't even finished and won't be for some time.

By your logic and reasoning I guess that would make them fat publishers then.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Kefo

At least the people playing WoW have a game to play. Currently SC has the cash shop and a subscription in place for a game that isn't even finished and won't be for some time.

The big difference is here, you do not have to buy anything!  You can just wait it out till SC releases. 

You do have to pay up tho to play WoW.

So he has a very valid point!

I played EverQuest 2 for many years. SOE delivered content patches every 3 months and a full expansion every single year.

WoW? One (or two if we are Lucky) content patches a year and a full expansion once every 2 to 2 and half years! All the while they make 50 to 100 times more Money every single month on subs alone compared to what SOE earned back then with EQ2.

Same with SE and FFXIV!  Since ARR they have released large content patches frequently. Make you feel like your monthly sub is worth something with continuous development and content releases.

Blizzard has always been lazy as feck and releases as little as possible. Just barely enough to keep Money flowing into their Pockets by the bucket loads.

But finally they are being punished for their laziness after all these years, with sub numbers continue to plumet.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

No they dont, not even close. Not on WoW anyways. Remember that pricing for WoW is much different in the east.

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

no. Absolutely no.

Blizzard games actually exist, that's the difference.

Also, for the people who have "invested" (as they claim) into the Kickstarter campaign, there is no guarantee they will get a product.  

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by JeroKane

The big difference is here, you do not have to buy anything!  You can just wait it out till SC releases. 

Star Citizen is not F2P. Even if you wait until it's released you'll have to buy it in order to play.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Vrika

Star Citizen is not F2P. Even if you wait until it's released you'll have to buy it in order to play.

Sigh I was responding to the SC... the buying ships thing.  You do not have to do that! That´s what I meant.

You do not have to spend any money NOW!  Just wait till the game officially released and buy it then.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by observer
    Anyone else find it ironic that a feature is delayed within a delayed game?  image

image@Observer very observant, and soooo true, lol! 

Z.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Vrika

Sigh I was responding to the SC... the buying ships thing.  You do not have to do that! That´s what I meant.

You do not have to spend any money NOW!  Just wait till the game officially released and buy it then.

and then slap yourself in the face when people who dropped thousands of dollars utterly destroy you in the ships they bought