Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has an MMO ever went from F2P to Sub?

monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Title.

Just curious.

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by monochrome19

Title.

Just curious.

If you count on asian porting to USA/EU there are a few but I dont think you were reffering to that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    None that I'm aware of.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Didn't Alods make a SUb server for NA players who didn't like the cahs shop?

Something Awful this way comes.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Allods Online did, Sub server still alive but not as high there free to play server, but find it funny when sub server have no cash shop or p2w still less people play it then the f2p servers.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by zaberfangx
    Allods Online did, Sub server still alive but not as high there free to play server, but find it funny when sub server have no cash shop or p2w still less people play it then the f2p servers.

I would tend to think that the population difference has a lot to do with kids and teenager's being able to download and play for free, no parents required.

My comment is not meant to be derogatory in any way.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

I would tend to think that the population difference has a lot to do with kids and teenager's being able to download and play for free, no parents required.

My comment is not meant to be derogatory in any way.

Very little more kids and teenagers on the f2p side when I played befor dropping the game, When I did play it was mostly people that are in there 20s in the game and 30s mostly and some older as well.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

LEGO Minifigures Online

But there's no subscription to it. You just have to buy it once and that's it.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240
    FF14 was free to play from 1.3 to 2.0. They remade large systems within the game during this timeframe and apologized for the FF14 1.0 design. If you subscribed for long enough before this happened you have a permanent lower subscription cost for the game.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Everquest ran two versions of the game.  One sub and one f2p.  Tho the sub prob came first.

Was Minecraft always box to play?  It started a single player then became a popular mmo with kids owning their own multiplayer servers (via mom/dad's credit card).

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Saga of Ryzom changed monetization a couple times.

I'm not sure if one of those switches was from F2P to sub, but I think so.

I don't know what happened, or why.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • HarukoHaruko Member UncommonPosts: 45
    ROSE Online was free and now its pay.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Only one but sort of tainted.

FFXIV went from sub to free for about 2-3 months,then back to sub again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

LEGO Minifigures Online

Nah... it went F2P to B2P. Maybe we can consider that half way?

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I think Runescape is heading that way...

When it started it was completely free (add supported and not even a cash shop as this was pretty much before cash shops existed). That didn't last long and they found that add support was not going to keep the lights on. They added a members (sub). Basically, the same game but with more areas and content accessible. And that grew slowly over the years. The areas and content that started off free remained so. And, even saw plenty of updates. And, over much of the games history there have still been more F2P worlds then members worlds. A few years ago that started to change. And, now only 15% of the worlds are F2P. You can still play indefinitely for free. But, F2P is full of subscription bait. And, compared to the benefits of membership it feels like a demo version of the full game. They even have a system not very dissimilar from EVE's Plex now. I think the only reason F2P is still in the game is so that people who's subscription have lapsed have a chance to get their money in order, lol.

...For me it's a question of where is that tipping point. If an F2P goes Sub. When can you fairly call it out as such.