Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Albion Online: Summer Alpha Underway!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After much anticipation from its fans, Sandbox Interactive, developers of Albion Online, have opened their servers for the start of the big Summer Alpha 2015. Read on for what the new version includes and how to get in on the action.

Read more of the exclusive developer diary for Albion Online: Summer Alpha Underway!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• freakkyfreakky Member UncommonPosts: 113
    All this greed takes away from the fun of the game. Pay to alpha test just seems silly. Likely just another p2w game.
    Good lucks and have fun. 
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    5vs5 Guild-vs-Guild fights?  What do all the rest of the members Do, go farm instead? Or do they act like the wives of the soldiers in the battle of Waterloo  and rush out on to the battlefield  to tend the wounds of their fellow guild members whilst fielding another replacement?  They better slow down with those numbers, they'll be utter chaos! 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    For a phone game the prices are a little high for the founders packs. If the starter was $9.99 I would have bought in. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    For a phone game the prices are a little high for the founders packs. If the starter was $9.99 I would have bought in. 

Yeah, I love the premise, but I'll likely wait until launch before pitching in financially myself. I like the idea of an MMO that I can play on my PC at home, and my phone while at work.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by IAmMMO
    5vs5 Guild-vs-Guild fights?  What do all the rest of the members Do, go farm instead? Or do they act like the wives of the soldiers in the battle of Waterloo  and rush out on to the battlefield  to tend the wounds of their fellow guild members whilst fielding another replacement?  They better slow down with those numbers, they'll be utter chaos! 

No, they can form a different 5-man group and have their own 5v5 contest in the Hellgate.  This is part of their anti-Zerg mechanic where small re guilds can still compete, and larger guilds can still have an advantage by being able to enter more Hellgates at one time.  

There are much larger battles to be fought, such as castle sieges and territorial control.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Yeah, I love the premise, but I'll likely wait until launch before pitching in financially myself. I like the idea of an MMO that I can play on my PC at home, and my phone while at work.

Even a full PC game like Skyforge was $19.99 to get into, Landmark $19.99. I get you can play this on your PC but its still a phone game. If I am sitting down at my PC, Im playing a full PC game. Maybe I am missing something but this seems costly.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

price is too steep for a mobile game, so many f2p titles out there why pay money to test a game?

Companies keep milking the customer base for unfinished products. Not paying for a game that is not ready for release yet, already did that mistake...

• gauss22gauss22 Member CommonPosts: 2

Even a full PC game like Skyforge was $19.99 to get into, Landmark $19.99. I get you can play this on your PC but its still a phone game. If I am sitting down at my PC, Im playing a full PC game. Maybe I am missing something but this seems costly.

Hi Nanfoodle and cagan,

thanks for your feedback!

I just wanted to clarify, as it seems there was a small misunderstanding, that Albion Online is NOT a phone game.

Instead, it runs truly cross-platform, which means that you can play it on your Windows PC, Mac, Linux or Android tablet (iOS will be available upon release, too), while we do not support playing on phones.

So in that sense, Albion Online is both a PC game and a tablet game at the same time, with the special feature that there is just one, massive world everyone logs into (no matter what device, country, etc.).

Best regards,

Christian (from the Sandbox Interactive Team)

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113
    "truly cross-platform" ™
    Originally posted by gauss22

Hi Nanfoodle and cagan,

I just wanted to clarify, as it seems there was a small misunderstanding, that Albion Online is NOT a phone game.

Instead, it runs truly cross-platform, which means that you can play it on your Windows PC, Mac, Linux or Android tablet (iOS will be available upon release, too), while we do not support playing on phones.

So in that sense, Albion Online is both a PC game and a tablet game at the same time, with the special feature that there is just one, massive world everyone logs into (no matter what device, country, etc.).

Best regards,

Ya ok... Tablet game you can play on your PC. Still over priced. 

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

I hope not too many people were tricked into paying 59.99$ for an alpha test of a tablet game. I wish mmorpg.com would stop these daily advertisements as this game is a pure cash grab like most early access games.

The devs know their entire buisness model is to trick people into paying for an over priced alpha because Albion is a gear based pay to win game and it doesn't take long for players to realise this and quit. But they want to sell their version of plex to the alpha suckers so have designed it to be pay to win. You buy the best gear off players for real money and whoever has the deepest pockets has the biggest advantage.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Hi Nanfoodle and cagan,

Best regards,

sounds like you're bitching....just to be bitching....

Originally posted by Grinnz

Hi Nanfoodle and cagan,

Best regards,

sounds like you're bitching....just to be bitching....

Nope , never paid more the 9.99 for a tablet game. Early access for Skyforge a PC game is 19.99, same with Landmark and many others. My point is, if they had a $9.99 entry, I would buy two right now for my wife and I. Its over priced.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

During the last test window, I remember running around with 30+ guild members in a massive zerg, cutting another guild to shreds.  I think the 5 vs. 5 might be more like an agreed-upon arena style match or something similar.  If I remember, I'll get back to this thread after I get back in for a while.  Of course, the zerging itself is an issue, so maybe this was a counter-measure to that, but I don't think so.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Originally posted by Sketch420

I hope not too many people were tricked into paying 59.99$ for an alpha test of a tablet game. I wish mmorpg.com would stop these daily advertisements as this game is a pure cash grab like most early access games.

The devs know their entire buisness model is to trick people into paying for an over priced alpha because Albion is a gear based pay to win game and it doesn't take long for players to realise this and quit. But they want to sell their version of plex to the alpha suckers so have designed it to be pay to win. You buy the best gear off players for real money and whoever has the deepest pockets has the biggest advantage.

I did not feel tricked, when I donated/bought into this Alpha.  I never spent a dime in-game, and I saw no need to.  Do people really get tricked into paying for an alpha?  Most of the alphas, betas, and kickstarters I've supported had me pretty well  informed of what I was getting into.   The most the developers usually promise is a general vision for a game. It's like saying someone got tricked into buying a stock, knowing the results of the purchase could go either way.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    It was massive greed from the start. Any modern engine can cross platform a game and I really was waiting for one. Then I got this P2P yet future (never) F2P game. They're dragging out this so called alpha so that they can make more money.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

During the last test window, I remember running around with 30+ guild members in a massive zerg, cutting another guild to shreds.  I think the 5 vs. 5 might be more like an agreed-upon arena style match or something similar.  If I remember, I'll get back to this thread after I get back in for a while.  Of course, the zerging itself is an issue, so maybe this was a counter-measure to that, but I don't think so.

5v5 is a fight either in Hellgates or for territories in yellow and red zones. And I believe there is also 20v20 if you fight for a city.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?
  • imenthiximenthix Member UncommonPosts: 5

I just saw the prices: I'm deleting this game from my list. 

Pay a full game's price to test it, or even better, 2 game's price? I don't even get the pay2test idea either. I guess it's a regular thing nowadays, but I can't be bought that way. 

They just look like gold-diggers to me. Pay2Win?

• MenschMensch Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Agreed - $50 is too much for an alpha, even if it's a PC alpha.  Rust cost $19.99 to play Alpha, and I got 700 hours of fun out of it.  Doubt if I would get 700 hours of fun out of this one, despite the higher entry cost.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
     Yea I agree and from what im seeing theres not even a whole lot to do it actually sounds boring to me. I was actually excited for it a while back but after seeing how greedy the company is im not sure ill even play :( another one scratched off the list. Build conquer rinse repeat this sounds like it will get old real fast and since everyone is doing the same thing how am i supposed to keep myself occupied, originally I thought there was going to be more pve elements.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by Blaedus
    If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Surprised it took this many post for "you don't have to buy it" guy to appear.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Viper482
    If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Well is he wrong?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by ltank
    If the Test is too expensive, why complain about it? You don't have to buy it, you know? You can *GASP!* just wait for the thing to release. And if it doesn't release, then you can pat yourself on the back that you didn't use any money. See? It's a win-win?

Well is he wrong?

It is just a silly, simpleton, cliche reply to any topic like this. It is not an "I win" button when it comes to this topic, but it is always used as such. There are rational reasons that these high priced alphas and paying for unfinished games are bad for this genre and pc gaming. Thinking you can dismiss them with simpleton logic is intellectually dishonest.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by ltank

Well is he wrong?

It is just a silly, simpleton, cliche reply to any topic like this. It is not an "I win" button when it comes to this topic, but it is always used as such. There are rational reasons that these high priced alphas and paying for unfinished games are bad for this genre and pc gaming. Thinking you can dismiss them with simpleton logic is intellectually dishonest.

Wow I really agree with this it just dosent seem right this method wouldnt pass in any other industry why do we have to deal with it. And its funny because these games still release with a shit ton of issues where does this money even go and what are these people doing with it. Reminds me of an old song lol  I see it now the devs walk in the room in suites Song playing.