Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow on life support

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Robokapp

WoW's subscription numbers drop to second place among MMOs for the first time in 40 years. In other news the Moon Colony reaches 100,000 inhabitants.

That is rather unlikely. With current trends we are talking about a few years until Wow reaches a million subs. A moon colony with 100K people are at least 50 years in the future...

And that is assuming that no one else can make a MMO that can get 3-5 million players in the next few years (which is a bet I wont take but still not impossible).

Wow is still on top but wont be so 5 years from now unless something very unexpected happens.

Sarcasm is lost on you :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Someone forgot to tell all the people I have seen today ingame.

Lol agreed these type of post are so silly. They make over 100 million a month in subs. Yeah its time to turn off the servers.

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156

I thought about resubbing for 6.2 but then I remembered Garrisons are still in the game. Seriously, as long as such horrible content like that exists, I won't ever play retail WoW. Solo-centric content that takes people out of the world has NO place in an MMO. 

I always follow WoW from a distance and I'm curious to see what the next expansion holds. If they steer WoW back to truly being an MMO rather than a solo RPG, then I'll consider coming back.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

WoW's biggest issue is that a good portion of the servers have an extremely low population compared the most populated servers. The cost to transfer characters is pretty restrictive when you're talking about moving multiple characters, and cross-realm doesn't really help the situation all that much. It's hard for raiding programs to recruit people on the smaller servers, especially when anyone serious about raiding will transfer a couple of characters to servers with more active raiding populations.

The disparity among server populations, hell even populations between Horde and Alliance side on certain servers, is a big reason why my wife and I left WoW the last time.

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by greenbow54

They make 105 million dollars from subs alone, per month. (Asians pay differently, but if you think they make any less in that market than $15 a month per person, you're not smart).

Brazilians pay 15 reais, which is equal to about 4 dollars. Nice try, "smart" guy.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Kaneth

WoW's biggest issue is that a good portion of the servers have an extremely low population compared the most populated servers. The cost to transfer characters is pretty restrictive when you're talking about moving multiple characters, and cross-realm doesn't really help the situation all that much. It's hard for raiding programs to recruit people on the smaller servers, especially when anyone serious about raiding will transfer a couple of characters to servers with more active raiding populations.

The disparity among server populations, hell even populations between Horde and Alliance side on certain servers, is a big reason why my wife and I left WoW the last time.

Why move characters?

Create a new one on a 'full' server, get heirlooms, join dungeons, boom 90-100 on day 1 and you're ready to join the purple progression addiction phase a.k.a. raiding.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
  • TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191

It'll be more interesting to see what kind of sub numbers they reveal next time. Is it a few hundred thousands lower, or more than that? Considering the game has been increasingly streamlined over the years, i'm not surprised it's on a slow but definite decline.

Even more interesting though, would a nosediving WoW finally make Blizzard wake up? Overwatch is something else, but other than that they've been relying on the same franchises.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    No worries, I'm sure subs will come back up after their expansion announcement this year at Blizzcon. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

in terms of quality it is very much on life support.

huge sub numbers is not proof of quality.

they're lucky that the competition can't come up with anything better. 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

WoW may have millions in Asia but not here in the West.

• RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by smitty0356

I was on my server yesterday.... I think the party is over.  The population even cross-server is dwindling and the cheaters and trolls are far more obvious with the vacuum of players.

I guess it is time for blizzard to get off of their butts and finally make a quality game sometime this decade!

C'mon admit it, you opened this thread just to see all the fanboys throw themselves at you with pitchforks and fire! You mazochist!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    (Asians pay differently, but if you think they make any less in that market than $15 a month per person, you're not smart).

LOL. nice evidence there.

They don't average $15 per month per user, no way.  And Blizzard has to share that money with the asian companies hosting.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

My sbuscription expired just yesterday. I had enough gold to buy 4 months of free subscription with the WoW token, and still didn't bother. That's with the new patch just out, new raid, new areas, new tiers for everything, etc.

WoW drags too long on all it does, and the 6.1 patch was eternal. I was in a guild that disbanded due to how eternally boring 6.1 became. Joined another guild with high progression level (all mythic bosses had been killed) and that guild crumbled -too- within two weeks due to key members leaving and the rest not wanting to bother with leadership or management because the game for most is just worth it to log on a couple of hours now and then to do some raids, and nothing else.

It's natural anyway, WoW is a very old game, and it's ran out of steam. All of the people I know that play it, play it for one of two reasons: The raiding aspect, and the social aspect. I was in the first group, and like many people, that wasn't enough to keep me playing, even when the subscription is free. The people in the second group might last longer, I suppose.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Why move characters?

Create a new one on a 'full' server, get heirlooms, join dungeons, boom 90-100 on day 1 and you're ready to join the purple progression addiction phase a.k.a. raiding.

Yeah right. Give up on all the achievements, vanity items and history your character has for a toon that has 5 hours /played. 

Not going to happen. Unless all you care is raiding.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yup bingo, that's the true hook right there that stops players from moving on.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    (Asians pay differently, but if you think they make any less in that market than $15 a month per person, you're not smart).

LOL. nice evidence there.

They don't average $15 per month per user, no way.  And Blizzard has to share that money with the asian companies hosting.

You obviously missed the part recently where Blizzard increased the hourly rate charges for gameplay,  makes a monthly sub look cheap tbh, maybe thats why there arent as many WoW players in China as there used to be, might want to take that into consideration.image

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

WoDville got boring, 6.1 sucked and 6.2 is dire.

WoW will not die anytime soon, but Blizzard are doing their best to achieve this.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Though the numbers may be less predictable, the sentiment on WoW is not.  There was a time not long ago that when a thread like this was created the legions of WoW fanboys would crush it with a vengeance.  Now? not so much.  WoW is clearly on the decline but it will remain profitable for a good long while still.  All they need to do with every down tick in population is clear off some of the excess overhead fat.  The only people hurting for the foreseeable future are the excess in employees who will soon begin receiving their pink slips. 

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Robokapp

WoW's subscription numbers drop to second place among MMOs for the first time in 40 years. In other news the Moon Colony reaches 100,000 inhabitants.

I almost chocked on my croissant reading this. image

• raven7680raven7680 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by smitty0356
    It has become the Detroit of mmo's. 

I really wish I hadn't taken a sip of my drink before reading this, because my keyboard and monitor are now covered in coffee. 

Devilish Smile photo DevilishSmilejpg

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

Though the numbers may be less predictable, the sentiment on WoW is not.  There was a time not long ago that when a thread like this was created the legions of WoW fanboys would crush it with a vengeance.  Now? not so much.  WoW is clearly on the decline but it will remain profitable for a good long while still.  All they need to do with every down tick in population is clear off some of the excess overhead fat.  The only people hurting for the foreseeable future are the excess in employees who will soon begin receiving their pink slips. 

Do not know how long ago you are talking about, but this place has been a den of WoW Haterz for a long time.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

this place has been a den of WoW Haterz for a long time.

We collect monthly dues. But there's a anti-fan-kit with stickers and a personalized I.D. badge for the cool kids.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Antiquated

this place has been a den of WoW Haterz for a long time.

We collect monthly dues. But there's a anti-fan-kit with stickers and a personalized I.D. badge for the cool kids.

And in the Jan-Mar '15 quarter the monthly dues they collected - along with product sales, licensing, royalties and value added services - was $272M. Better than the $201M they collected in the Jan-Mar '14 quarter. So ....

• WoD had a positive impact in the first quarter of 2015

Quarterly comparisons are tricky though because of the timing of the expansions. And the recent trend has been down: WoW's $867M total in 2014 was down from 2013's $912M which was down from 2012's $986M. Will WoD reverse the decline? We need to wait for the next results.

(Source: quarterly SEC filing 10-Q and annual SEC filing 10-K. No guesswork involved at all.)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Maybe it is just me, maybe more players will be happy than those disappointed. Time will show.

Fact is I really loved Wow, was my best game ever. 2nd was Swtor (which is currently absolute No.1), 3rd Gw2 ... then for long nothing.

And fact is before Wod was released I had 22(!) alts, 11 horde and 11 alliance, all leveled to max. I really loved always Wow. For me, all expansions were great, but if I have to make a list from best in first place then: Wotlk, MOP (just by slight measure), Cata, BC, Wod. And about Wod (which is actually kind of BC II) there is strange thing never happened before. Loved it, played with great joy for 1 month. In this time have leveled as I remember about 5 alts to max, which is impossibly fast meaning lack of quests and content. Namely usually it took me at least 3 months for 5 alts. Then after 1 month .... “dark magic” happened ... I lost completely wish to login back to Wod! Switched to Swtor where I have stayed up to 1 month ago when i have started again Gw2. Wod for me is big big FAIL. Yes, yes, love garrisons, environment, quests, ... but all in all I’m afraid will cause worst drop of player base ever. And I’m very sorry for that.