Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Creative Director Paul Sage Resigns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Eurogamer is reporting that Elder Scrolls Online Creative Director Paul Sage has left Bethesda and is now working with Gearbox Software as creative director on an as-yet unnamed project. The announcement was made on Sage's personal Facebook page and indicates that moving home to Austin was the primary reason for his resignation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I got the impression from Paul's post that he simply missed Austin and wanted to move back. Hopefully this means he's working on Borderlands Online, the unannounced and awesome MMO version of Borderlands that doesn't exist... yet. (Wishful thinking.)  And no, not the one from 2K China.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    I got the impression from Paul's post that he simply missed Austin and wanted to move back. Hopefully this means he's working on Borderlands Online, the unannounced and awesome MMO version of Borderlands that doesn't exist... yet. (Wishful thinking.)  And no, not the one from 2K China.

Borderlands 3 has to happen first.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The thing that can never be said about ESO is that the game didnt look good. So yea, shame ...

But I hope some good project is waiting for him.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I don't know if I can mirror your enthusiasm for that particular project - I think it would play too much like Wildstar. Y'know - two humor-based Sci-Fi games where you progress to max level by spending the majority of your time loot/vault-hunting/raiding in a resource rich world. :)

I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed for Everquest Next and, if we gotta go Sci-Fi, let's go for a fun, engaging cooperative PvE version of EvE. 

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Nameplates nao?
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

my thoughts xcly.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We can confirm that Paul left ZOS after the launch of ESOTU on console. He, along with rest of the team, are very happy with how the game is doing and we wish him the best in his future endeavors. ESOTU continues to be in great hands with Gamer Director, Matt Firor and new Creative Director, Rich Lambert, overseeing development. Previously, Rich oversaw all content in the game as Lead Content Designer and worked on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. We’re very excited to have him take on the role as Creative Director!"

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1952643#Comment_1952643

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    bailout?
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Creative director didn't fully capture what was impossible, still created a pretty fun game. The task at hand was impossible though, no fault of his, best of luck.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    After playing Tiny Tina's DLC, I am left jonesing for a fantasy based Borderlands style game.
  • GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

Hey Bill, I'm not sure which post of Paul's you are referring to.  I'm not seeing a post of his in the Eurogamer article nor in this column. If it was in his Facebook profile then only his Facebook friend's can view that. 

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    gearbox games have better future than ESO..smart move..
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    bailout?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Unless you are on the inside one can never know  how influential individuals were.

The game was sold as a pve/pvp fantasy world.

All i saw was a lot of money spent on pve quests...areas

and zero development of even a stable pvp environment let alone meaningful pvp feature development. Maybe that will change with his departure.

(My intuition say his departure is not the last higher level departure we will see in the next 6 months)

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I keep seeing people falsely posting that there isn't a PVP future development planned I guess they missed those news articles that this is exactly what they are working on next for the next major patch to improve PVP. The benefits of porting to the console community is clear. Maybe they should be more supportive of porting to the console of many other titles out there because it's obvious by now that porting improves the games even for the PC especially due to the community demands of console players and the extra money that comes from that. Diablo III had a huge influence on this and I'd dare say they paved the way for the numerous ports both happening and planned. I hope this new director keeps the momentum going because this game is very fun!
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

Gearbox is my favorite game development company. This sounds like a very good thing to me, and a positive sign for whatever their next project will be.

I can't help but think we could well get an MMO"FPS" for the next Borderlands. We may well get that instead of a "Borderlands 3" which was never an actual announced  game anyway. (we knew we would get more Borderlands, but not what it would be or what they'd call it). What they've said about the next Borderlands is "this is the big one", and that they were looking for help to fill out their Borderlands team.

Well before BL2 there was discussion on the Gearbox forums about a Borderlands MMO (by the fans, not Gearbox), and I was against it at the time. I said I didn't play Borderlands to get an MMO experience. BL2 changed that for me - and Activision-Blizzard continually takes WoW in a direction I don't like. The last 2 years I put most of my game time in BL2 and hardly played WoW at all.

So, Borderlands the MMO RolePlaying Shooter? Bring it on!

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall