Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give the helm to Erin Roberts before be too late

jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723

I read an excelent idea today that could save SC of his path of shame. 

CIG just needs to give a long vacation to Ben Lesnick, Sandi Gardiner and Chris Roberts, as well as those hired fans, like Disco Lando.

Erin take the helm and finish the project. Roberts works as a consultant, but what is coming out or not, communication, estimates, schedule in general and the last decision comes to Erin Roberts and other better professionals that he probably will put to deal with marketing/communication and community management.

Microsoft was actually genious in its decision, when they did just that with Freelancer. The only problem was that they did not pursuit additions, sequences later, after first release, but that, we do not have any fear to, because Roberts own totally the current venture.

Those people are nice guys, have good ideas, but what backers need are professionals that works with their minds tied with realities of the market of Planet Earth, not in the world of dreams, of easy profit and short sight and more focus on keeping a celebrity status than in what is good for the whole.

"Kick them out", but keep Roberts near, but not deciding. Let Erin, the much more experienced game designer and brother, who finished most of the Roberts abandoned games, finish this one too.

Otherwise... I am sorry to say, but it will crash and burn. A massive flop that will give a hard hit in the Space Sim and crowd-funding. I see both already affected negatively by Star Citizen and his party of dreams thrown out to the window to drive ship sales.

I know that it hurt some feelings, and fans go to personal and forget that sometimes defending a person is not defending the game or the company, mainly its future. It's just business... and things won't end well if those people continue with the influence of today. Chances are that the negative influence of their repetitive mistakes affects the entire team, since no matter how big bs they do, white knights forgive them and shield them from critics. And no matter how good stuff those guys do, their job ends in ashes by bs that those others in the front line usually do.

Any serious company would fire those people already by the massive number of mistakes that they did along this project. Otherwise, nobody there, will work with so much focus as they would if knowing that mistakes leads to consequences. And don't ask me to enumerate them all, because anyone here knows and if ask, is just pretending not to, for some "spread the word" agenda.

tl;dr: Give the leadership to Erin instead Chris. Kick out those newbies and fanboys from their roles, since that group is too short-sighted to be there and have been proven again and again not learning from mistakes. Problem solved. Star Citizen starts to have hope. Otherwise, it's will be a certain fiasco in the perception of the majority of the "primitive" public of Planet Earth (since ET's apparently already consider Arena Commander the best space sim ever, better even than Wing Commander, according with the wisdom of Disco Lando, liking people or not, reflected as the wisdom of CIG).

Comments

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Dude, seriously? AGAIN?

I don´t even.... What are you even talking about?

Besides Erin Roberts IS at the helm of the UK studio and doing Squadron 42 - HE IS THE GUY making the single player/co-op story campaign and involved in countless other aspects.

Your personal vendetta against Chris Roberts for whatever reason is funny and disturbing, but unfounded.

The game is the biggest, most feature rich piece of game software that was ever planned and maybe you should wait for bashing the results when there are actual results, i.e. the R E L E A S E . Sheesh. Get a different hobby. Or get a new crystal ball, yours seems broken.

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Yeah the game isnt out yet, there isnt even a persistent universe beta yet.... so how is it that you can judge the game so completely already?
  • jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Xeno.phon
    Yeah the game isnt out yet, there isnt even a persistent universe beta yet.... so how is it that you can judge the game so completely already?

I can. Because it should be completed already. Additions and more details could naturally be added later after a core released.

Wait... but that would mean that sooner instead later, people would start to earn things with gameplay instead having to pay real dollars to acquire them... Hmmm...

I am warning you. With Roberts as the boss and those named in their roles, this project will crash and burn. Period. Ignore at your own risk. I won't lose so much money after all.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i can tell you how i perceive Chris and yo ucan decide weather than is a good front man.

When i think Chris ,i think of a scammer,dwindling as much money he can from naive spenders.When he started this project he had literally NOTHING and when he finally did pan off those couple videos,they were the work of what takes 2 people a couple days top pull off.It just sends up tons of red flags that you should not trust any of this operation,you SHOULD be skeptical and strive to make the game better,do not just accept their marketing speeches.

Even if you want to be naive,i can look at my personal feeling towards a similar type guy,Brad McQuaid.I like the guy,i have some faith in him,but i do not trust him to run an entire operation.

As for Squadron42,his brother Erin might be the lead director at that plant, i think it is Austin?None the less,they have hired several firms to do various projects for this game,so not like this is a one or two man operation.

I feel we just need to WAIT and see the released product.So far i have seen nothing that impresses me as Triple A work but then i know what i am looking at more so than the average person.Even still i can hold off on too much criticism because Chris in no way what  so ever has told anyone this is a finished product or even close to being finished.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

OP ... Oh .. its YOU ...

>>Because it should be completed already. Additions and more details could naturally be added later after a core released.>>

Nope ... because a majority of the backers wanted more stretch goals to be implemented BEFORE launch. You may not like it personally. But there are 916,733 others - not counting you, as you were banned early in the games development circle. About 80-90 % (a guestimate)  of those backers joined AFTER you "left". In my opinion that means that most of those do NOT share your sentiment, otherwise they would not have joined the crowdfunding campaign.

Yes ... i know.... you will now link to the old Kickstarter project timetable from November 2012 ..... AGAIN.

That timetable was obsolete in December 2012, as has been published time and time again ad nauseum. The reason: The overwhelming SUCCESS of the crowdfunding campaign. That allowed the team to redesign SC into an even more ambitious project BEFORE the launch. With a new timetable. Old news .... 2.4 years old in fact.

Have fun

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa The game is the biggest, most feature rich piece of game software that was ever planned and maybe you should wait for bashing the results when there are actual results, i.e. the R E L E A S E .

And perhaps people should also refrain from praising it - like you just did - until release?  Have you actually played the game?  Yeah, nobody else has, either. 

That being said, the OP seems like he's wearing tinfoil, I mean mayhaps he has a point or two but that sort of post indeed looks like someone with a vendetta/hatred/whatever towards a certain dev or two.  Maybe he's just overly tired of waiting, or doesn't have the money to buy the ship he wants, who knows.

I think both extreme camps - both the haters and the praisers - are way out of line with this game.  Again, nobody has played it, and imho at the present it's just looking like they are selling ships without working on the rest of the game.  I could be wrong, but this thing is nowhere near release, and I'm sorry, but walking around an empty hangar on some pre-alpha pass means exactly zero in terms of what the "real deal" will be.

So yeah the OP should most likely move on, but calling SC "the biggest, most feature rich" anything is totally excessive.  Planned content does not equal released content, and the biggest hype-trains of the past five years or so have mostly failed to live up to said hype.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by muppetpilot
    it's just looking like they are selling ships without working on the rest of the game. 

Detailed (as in: 20+ pages)  monthly progress reports on all aspects of the game:

https://www.google.at/search?q=RSI+monthly+report&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=yKGRVYzoNaHSyAPM_YGQBg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14758-Monthly-Report-May

For those interested in what  "working on the rest of the game" really means. Personally i have never heard of any major development team that has shared such in depth information on a game project - ever.

Have fun

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa The game is the biggest, most feature rich piece of game software that was ever planned and maybe you should wait for bashing the results when there are actual results, i.e. the R E L E A S E .

And perhaps people should also refrain from praising it - like you just did - until release?  Have you actually played the game?  Yeah, nobody else has, either. 

That being said, the OP seems like he's wearing tinfoil, I mean mayhaps he has a point or two but that sort of post indeed looks like someone with a vendetta/hatred/whatever towards a certain dev or two.  Maybe he's just overly tired of waiting, or doesn't have the money to buy the ship he wants, who knows.

I think both extreme camps - both the haters and the praisers - are way out of line with this game.  Again, nobody has played it, and imho at the present it's just looking like they are selling ships without working on the rest of the game.  I could be wrong, but this thing is nowhere near release, and I'm sorry, but walking around an empty hangar on some pre-alpha pass means exactly zero in terms of what the "real deal" will be.

So yeah the OP should most likely move on, but calling SC "the biggest, most feature rich" anything is totally excessive.  Planned content does not equal released content, and the biggest hype-trains of the past five years or so have mostly failed to live up to said hype.

He is still right, it is the most ambitious game ever planned (that I am aware of, if there are others please tell me). If it will deliver or not is a totally different matter.

There is nothing wrong about praising the idea of a game. We can all complain later if it never gets made.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

while i still agree it will never match the imagination of the players. 

To say that they are not working on the game is stupid, the matter of the fact is that most people enjoy seeing nice spaceship in the advertising material than they do a bunch of lines of codes.... So since they need to make the ships any way they might as well show them of when ever they can... 

It is a bit like BMW showing you the new car and not the software that runs it... 

In essence if one are going to rag on SC... attack the actual points. The OP did that ofc... in a very hostile way, but none the less the ability to actually finish the game is the biggest concern i would say.... Not doubting there will be some kind of game.. but it might not be what people think it will be. 

This have been a good conversation

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Erillion
    it's just looking like they are selling ships without working on the rest of the game. 

Detailed (as in: 20+ pages)  monthly progress reports on all aspects of the game:

https://www.google.at/search?q=RSI+monthly+report&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=yKGRVYzoNaHSyAPM_YGQBg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14758-Monthly-Report-May

For those interested in what  "working on the rest of the game" really means. Personally i have never heard of any major development team that has shared such in depth information on a game project - ever.

Have fun

But you know that many of these things could be just, you know... lies about what they are doing. 

You know right? You trust of course, but the possibility that they could be lying about what they are doing exist.

We are talking about millions of dollars in profit here. Old guys, that probably could be more interested in having much more cash for a good and sooner retirement, than reputation, mainly when its pretty obvious, that those who follow them and pay more dollars for them, even that they are just a few, they will praise whatever game comes out, even if just ends to be a microscopic near of what was promised. So... I see clear reasons that they could just lie or say things that they are doing, but in fact they are not really doing that.

It's a possibility, you have to admit. 

My point is, all these reports and statements, means not too much to prove advance. It's a very weak evidence.

And there are tons of reasons taht they keep "sharing" more and more of these information. First, they promised that in exchange of a million dollars mark achieved (other teams don't do that). Second, their entire revenue, the huge majority comes from ship sales, subscriptions and others tuff that they sell... So, in order to "sell" this stuff, people have to go there and look constantly to what they release.... so, in consequence, they have to share more.

Also, other teams are more worried on revealing stuff due competitors. They seem underestimate totally this issue, and it's a very naive thing, or, the strongest possibility, is that they don't care... care only with money, not with the final result or if the company will or not to survive with bad rep or any competitor.

I think that its even weaker evidence, because I got many times actual lies in their statements. bait-and-switch in their offers and so on.

For example, just look to what they said in the past (and that was 3 years ago):

We will also be launching new sections which have been in the works for some time: the Galactapedia will tell you more about the Star Citizen world, Engineering will introduce you to game mechanics that are being planned and Holovids will offer you video footage from the game as it takes shape.

Besides, while Roberts admitted later that what he show was a kind of fake demonstration, in the time of the announcement he kept people believing that such gameplay was actually something advanced already. He even "shared" in that time, a "dev diary" with one of the developers telling about all the "advance" to finally put in that "advanced" thing,  a HUD.

Years later, when the delays started to pop-up, Roberts changed the speech to "oh, that was just a concept" blablabla.

But I have good memory and remember perfectly that they were hyping that as something advanced and Roberts saying that had figured out everything and knew how to do everything.

For example, while we can acknowledge that the game was not released due feature creep, a developer revealed recently in a AtV interview, that they started to design the basic professions of the game just now. Well... how possibly they were targetting a game in a release of two years, if they did not have in that time, all the things designed, mainly core basic functions? See? They were lying... so, it's kind of useless infomration all these "reports" and "statements" of Roberts, because most of them, if not everything, could be just false, to keep people without going in panic or to say whatever is necessary to make everythign take longer.