Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow on life support

smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

I was on my server yesterday.... I think the party is over.  The population even cross-server is dwindling and the cheaters and trolls are far more obvious with the vacuum of players.

I guess it is time for blizzard to get off of their butts and finally make a quality game sometime this decade!

Elite poster by 82

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I agree with WoW declining, but the sub numbers are so above everything else. Even if they lose another %50 of their subs, they still tower over all other mmos.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368
    It has become the Detroit of mmo's. 

Elite poster by 82

• greenbow54greenbow54 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Life support? No.

They make 105 million dollars from subs alone, per month. (Asians pay differently, but if you think they make any less in that market than $15 a month per person, you're not smart).

Tag on store purchases, the new game time, etc....WoW is not in any trouble, nor will it be in trouble any time soon.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    If WoW is declining still will have a high number of players will never drop then game until the server shut down.
  • DraconianXDraconianX Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Just remember that EQ is still running strong. Eventually the technology becomes so easy to maintain that it costs more to shut it down than it does to maintain it.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Someone forgot to tell all the people I have seen today ingame.
  • smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

I think there is a misunderstanding.  I'm not saying it is dead, nor will it die.  It is just a shadow of its former glory, and it will never improve...  a long, gradual decline.

It has earned enough money to run a server until the end of time.  It will just be like EQ, which is also on life support... not dead, just mostly brain dead.

Elite poster by 82

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by greenbow54

Life support? No.

They make 105 million dollars from subs alone, per month. (Asians pay differently, but if you think they make any less in that market than $15 a month per person, you're not smart).

They don't. And I am smart :)

Key point: WoW is operated under license in various countries - e.g. Asiasoft in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia; TenCent in China etc.

Now would you operate WoW under license, paying all the expenses that that entails, collect $15 or whatever a month from the players and then pass 100% of that money to A$15 ..... if you answer yes well lets just say that wouldn't be smart.

The license holder pays AB something depending on the deal done; so much a player; so much upfront for so long and so much a player; whatever. 

Blizzard make money for sure. How much - no idea beyond what they AB report in their results.

On life support? No. In decline - maybe yes, maybe no. I think we need to wait for the next results. If they may announce they are holding 7M - stable; but what if they announce 6M or 5M or 4M ..... it will still be making lots of money, it will still be bigger than other sub based mmos but?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by DraconianX
    Just remember that EQ is still running strong. Eventually the technology becomes so easy to maintain that it costs more to shut it down than it does to maintain it.

So that's why SoE went from c. 840 staff at the start of 2010 to c. 200 now!

OK we can't blame EQ for Sony's $60M write down but it obviously wasn't making enough to stop them selling SoE. 

Originally posted by smitty0356

I think there is a misunderstanding.  I'm not saying it is dead, nor will it die.  It is just a shadow of its former glory, and it will never improve...  a long, gradual decline.

It has earned enough money to run a server until the end of time.  It will just be like EQ, which is also on life support... not dead, just mostly brain dead.

By the numbers of people playing still haves it's glory there, but on new and exciting way not much, but is not only wow it's most mmo are like that.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    A WoW is dying thread?  This is a very unique discussion.  I have NEVER ever read this objective (LMAO) perspective on this forum before.  Someone should call Blizzard, they need to know what's happening!
    Pher0cious
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Game is not dead and will remain high populated comparing to other mmo's for a long time, but imho its already dead as it concerns ppl's interest.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Ever since I joined this site I see this exact topic every month. Every time someone says WoW is dead I chuckle. This is like the boy who cried wolf, only a thousand times worse.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
      WoW wont die but all the clonies will why do you think WoW has so many subs lol because everything after it is WoW with a different skin. Players get bored and end up back at the original its been happening for years there actually profiting off of WoW clones and its genius. just an observation of course :P *Slaps Orc in icon with Large Stick* will you just die already.
    Originally posted by Rasiem
      WoW wont die but all the clonies will why do you think WoW has so many subs lol because everything after it is WoW with a different skin. Players get bored and end up back at the original its been happening for years there actually profiting off of WoW clones and its genius. just an observation of course :P *Slaps Orc in icon with Large Stick* will you just die already.

Not everything after wow that is a copy and have a differnet skin, games that copy more what wow took from other games become funded and looked out more then games that don't copy just people are use to stream line games.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Rasiem

Last time I checked FF14 was on the rise and ESO has spiked considerably due to console support.  Meanwhile WoW claimed 7m back when servers were still crowded.  If I was to guess, they are under 5M and falling atm, and for those who don't know, half of WoWs "subs" are on pay per play which makes up a small fraction of their total revenue.  You can say 5M is a lot still all day, but its 65% less than 5 years ago and still declining.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It's not quite on life support, but with confirmation they are not making wow 2 and a fc team that clearly have no cohesive long term vision for the game beyond more raids and sub games bolted on. design stagnation and a slow painful decline over 10 years+

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    This topics should be locked straight away. If this topic is so important to the op he should just post in one of the billion other topics.
    I know some people's lives depend on hating wow but this is just dumb. We don't need yet another one of these threads.
    Should I go and make 500 topics about how ponies are awesome? And 1 month later make another 500 topics about how truly awesome ponies are?!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Life support?... hardly. 

Does it still have 10+ million, no but it is so far above any other MMOs on subs that even a 50% reduction would still leave it #1.

Plus, not sure what server you are on but the one I play on is doing fine.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Basing the health of a game purely on subs is what accountants do (although losing 30% in Q1 is a dire sign in any book) Take Eve, has 100k accounts of something like that - it still pumps out regular ecpansiond with fresh content and a clear vision. healthyiness is to do with the products freshness in relation to the competition. Game is on the decline there is no doubt, and tier 84 gear and selfies isn't the answer.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Robokapp

WoW's subscription numbers drop to second place among MMOs for the first time in 40 years. In other news the Moon Colony reaches 100,000 inhabitants.

That is rather unlikely. With current trends we are talking about a few years until Wow reaches a million subs. A moon colony with 100K people are at least 50 years in the future...

And that is assuming that no one else can make a MMO that can get 3-5 million players in the next few years (which is a bet I wont take but still not impossible).

Wow is still on top but wont be so 5 years from now unless something very unexpected happens.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by smitty0356
    It has become the Detroit of mmo's. 

It's still a bit early to be making claims like this, but WoW is indeed a far cry from what it once was.

If you're looking for the Detroit MMO there's a few other ones that are much better contenders.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

I logged in for the first time in about 8 months to check out the new char model for my BE priest and my server was empty. There was hardly anything listed in the AH and not a word was being spoken in any of the chat channels.

From what I experienced I feel that Detroit comparison is accurate.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Free publicity every time someone puts on the Captain Obvious hat.

Should be good enough, even on cruise control, to keep buying new cars for decades yet.

Better thread: Should any MMO be expected to survive a decade?

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Vanguard was on life support.

WoW not even close.