Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Genesis Starliner and Letter from the Chairman

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Looks really nice... But as with pretty much every ship way out of my range to pre-order. 

Will have to earn it the old fashion way if i decide to play the game. Like that they are taking the mini-game part seriously. =P

This have been a good conversation

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

The subtext I get from reading that is classic Roberts:

'We ran into problems and are being delayed again.   Problems with that extra thing we added are causing log jams throughout the development.  Our project management didn't project well.  That netcode we delayed things for previously is having to get redone again.   Oh, and I'm off over in England pretending to be a competent director, but mostly 'cause I wanted to hobnob with Andy Serkis.'

My old Origin friends told me that once those cut scenes were put into Wing Commander, that was pretty much all Roberts focused on in those productions.  

[mod edit]

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Its nice that one CAN do the profession mini-games, but is not forced to do it - one can always hire NPCs for the tasks.

Some of the best times in SWG was spend partying in the (indestructible) sightseeing yacht in space - and those passenger liners (and the luxury variant of the Constellation) give me the same vibes like my old SWG yacht.

FPS module takes longer - no surprise here. The netcode gives the expected head-aches ... CCP encountered similar problems with its captains quarters in EVE Online. Its high time a team like CIG is taking the time to cut through this technological obstacle and takes the time needed to produce a solid piece of code. Including thorough testing.

"Project management did not project" .... 9 pregnant women do not result in one healthy child after a month, even if they all work together in an ISO9001 certified project team. Sometimes you have to take the time its needed and let the experts do their job. That does not necessarily mean that your critical project path timeline on your GANTT chart is compromised. Everyone else has plenty to do in the meantime working on the other aspects of the game.

And back in the US its not Chris Roberts that has an eye on things ... he has some very experienced senior personnel keeping THAT aspect of the game under close supervision. If that leaves some time for Dread Pirate and Gollum to share some wartime stories over a pint of warm beer in UK, more power to them !

Have fun

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

I picture a deja vu a la Boeing... the day they tried to assemble the worlds first modularly manufactured aircraft.  Each module was perfect... problem is, none of them fit together and they ended up reworking the parts just to make it work in the end.  Saved them not money nor time... but it did leave a lot of egg on their face.

I expect no less from Star Citizen... oh it will eventually come together, but not any where near the cost or timeframe they ever anticipated.  

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Erillion always makes the nice defense, but it'd help if Roberts' MO wasn't Overbudget, Overpromised, and Overlong in delivery. 

I'd agree that some aspect of the modularization of the game design will likely end up causing some sort of catastrophic difficulty for the game.

They've got to be spending at least 3 Mil a month. And have been for quite a while.  And that's not factoring in probable extravagances.  

So, Go Buy MORE SHIPS!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Erillion always makes the nice defense, but it'd help if Roberts' MO wasn't Overbudget, Overpromised, and Overlong in delivery. 

Last I know he is "over budget" as in - has more many than he will need and has some cash reserves for emergencies. And the delay of the FPS module is not an emergency.

"Overpromised" ... he does what his bosses (= we backers) asked him to do. And a lot he does sooner than he expected as he now has the manpower to implement it before the persistent universe launches.

"Overlong" ... we backers expect a 5 year development time. Starting in November 2012. Its now June 2015. The project is about half way through its timeline. Where is the "overlong" you talk about ?  And no, the timeline as outlined in 2012 is no longer the timeline to look for, as many stretch goals have been added to the project in the meantime due to its record breaking success in crowdfunding. And all that has been communicated to the backers and the press in great detail. As has the progress been documented in great detail in monthly newsletters.

Have fun

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Ohhh, look another spaceship picture followed by bad news of delays.

The space simulation is pretty average. The FPS will most likely be average as well. Putting all of these average modules together can either make a good game or a horrible game. Time will tell.

This game will give us all joy and drama for at least another 5 years. 

-/-

[mod edit]

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

$400?

Seriously?

For a digital ship that has not even had the first pixel created yet?

$400?

In a game that has already raised how much?

Just look at their page, it is full of ships to buy. This is a ship buying simulator.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

What a pile of poop. The ship looks like a flying turd, the minigame stuff sounds absolutely terrible. Can you honestly imagine finding that sort of crap fun more than once or twice?

I like how they only put out a big explanation about the FPS delay so they could feel justified in selling another piece of concept art.

Caveat emptor.

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Kids need to realize that all these ships will be available for purchase and use with in game currency much like EVE. You do not HAVE to buy anything but the gold release of the game to enjoy these ships. So please little ones, stop showing how directionless and shallow your hatred is.

This game has shown the potential of crowd funding to dev companies, though not to consumers yet admittedly. This is a good thing, the less interference from out of touch publishers the better and this game has shown it is possible to make a AAA title purely on crowd funding. Whether or not they produce a good game is really irrelevant to other developers, the 85+ million they have to make their game is what is important to them.

My point is that hopefully SC helps other developers enter the crowd funding arena and we get some great games out of the shift.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Last I know he is "over budget" as in - has more many than he will need and has some cash reserves for emergencies. And the delay of the FPS module is not an emergency.

I have no idea on the economics of RSI and as far as I know they aren't public, so I can't comment on that.

"Overpromised" ... he does what his bosses (= we backers) asked him to do. And a lot he does sooner than he expected as he now has the manpower to implement it before the persistent universe launches.

Sooner then he expected? There hasn't been a single date he has set that he hasn't delayed. How many months is the FPS module delayed again? Which in turn will probably delay SQ42 release.

As for over-promising, I think he means the game Roberts PROMISED he would deliver, not what we ask him to do. They only recently admitted they need to work on controller balance and the guy in charge just started drawing up the design document that needs to get approved in turn so that he can start working on them. Yeah, people have been complaining about this since the first iteration of Arena Commander came out.

"Overlong" ... we backers expect a 5 year development time. Starting in November 2012. Its now June 2015. The project is about half way through its timeline. Where is the "overlong" you talk about ?  And no, the timeline as outlined in 2012 is no longer the timeline to look for, as many stretch goals have been added to the project in the meantime due to its record breaking success in crowdfunding. And all that has been communicated to the backers and the press in great detail. As has the progress been documented in great detail in monthly newsletters.

Again, he has delayed EVERY SINGLE release date he has set... not even release date but even when he gives us release months, he manages to miss them. Every single one. 

There is no way that he will release the game in 2017. There's a very small percentage of the game he promised that is playable and none of the three "games" haven't even left alpha stage let alone work properly with each other (as they are supposed to). 

But everything is ok, there's backers who adore him and defend him whatever he does (and will drown any criticism in the forums), so basically he can't do anything wrong. There's people who don't even mind if he never delivers the game because they feel that being informed about the development of the game over these years is a good buy for their money.

It's a cult.

PS: Travis Day (and his wife?) one of the better developers of the game, has left RSI to go work for Blizzard. Yet another person from the original RSI team that has left.

..Cake..

Originally posted by Xeno.phon

Kids need to realize that all these ships will be available for purchase and use with in game currency much like EVE. You do not HAVE to buy anything but the gold release of the game to enjoy these ships. So please little ones, stop showing how directionless and shallow your hatred is.

Tell that to the people who want to compete in a game when other players already have end-game assets before the game has even launched. Do you really think that people owning all those ships at launch won't matter to the gameplay of others?

My point is that hopefully SC helps other developers enter the crowd funding arena and we get some great games out of the shift.

Kickstarter has shown this. Not SC. Crowfunded games have been releasing for years. Usually projects stop asking for money when they have enough, SC just never stopped asking for money.

SC has shown how to make money by finding a group of dedicated followers and charging them for every single asset of the game for years in advance.

I'd really hate it if other companies started doing this.

..Cake..

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Xeno.phon

They know it anyway and they are certainly no kids, it has been said a million times before --no one needs to spend any money to get the ships---,  in every thread and it´s plastered on every ship info on the RSI site in fat letters.

It´s just the same 4-5 provocateurs making the same fake outrage comments over and over and over again. It´s an organized effort. Don´t bother.

I only spent 50$ to get the full game and I´m grateful for the big fish backers who keep this product free and independent from greedy suits, shareholders and publishers like Microsoft, EA and the like. Also I´m grateful we don´t need to bother with console port junk and cash shop exclusive items.

In SC everything will be available in game for ingame credits, you earn ingame. The money goes directly into content and the dev team and no publisher or gambling Wall Street shareholder will see a single cent of undeserved profit. THAT is real satisfaction.

Originally posted by JonBonJawa

They know it anyway and they are certainly no kids, it has been said a million times before --no one needs to spend any money to get the ships---,  in every thread and it´s plastered on every ship info on the RSI site in fat letters.

So what happens when people have whole armadas of ships on launch day? What happens when they have "endgame" ships from day 1?

It´s just the same 4-5 provocateurs making the same fake outrage comments over and over and over again. It´s an organized effort. Don´t bother.

Organized? Who's organizing them? Also what's fake about their comments?

Also I´m grateful we don´t need to bother with console port junk and cash shop exclusive items.

But you're ok with a cash shop charging for ships/guns/fps assets/etc right?

In SC everything will be available in game for ingame credits, you earn ingame.

And everything is available for real life currency as well.

The money goes directly into content and the dev team and no publisher or gambling Wall Street shareholder will see a single cent of undeserved profit. THAT is real satisfaction. 

Apart from all those "wall street shareholders" who are making a fortune on the grey ship market.

..Cake..

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa

So what happens when people have whole armadas of ships on launch day? What happens when they have "endgame" ships from day 1?

Organized? Who's organizing them? Also what's fake about their comments?

Also I´m grateful we don´t need to bother with console port junk and cash shop exclusive items.

But you're ok with a cash shop charging for ships/guns/fps assets/etc right?

In SC everything will be available in game for ingame credits, you earn ingame.

And everything is available for real life currency as well.

The money goes directly into content and the dev team and no publisher or gambling Wall Street shareholder will see a single cent of undeserved profit. THAT is real satisfaction. 

Apart from all those "wall street shareholders" who are making a fortune on the grey ship market.

You're wasting your breath mate.  Fools and their money are soon parted and it seems that this game makes the fools come crawling out of the woodwork.