Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still the best?

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
Would you consider WoW the best themepark mmorpg with pve/pvp?
Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Comments

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    This a joke ?
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well it definitely isn't the worst. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Graveblade

Well as much as i don't like much anything in Wow,i would give it a top 5,but then again i don't like linear questing full of instances games.

1 FFXI

2 EQ2

3 Vanguard,too bad the team had 1/50th the finances of Blizzard and lacked the fanbois WOW had or might have challenged FFXI for number 1.However ,going that route,if FFXI was originally a PC design it would have likely easily remained number 1.

4 Wow/Tera/AOC ,Archeage likely a couple other games that might lump into the same spot as Wow. 

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Most popular does not equal best.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Originally posted by Graveblade

It is best sub wise, but best for PvE is very much debatable at this point.  PvP there is no question, even in the WoW community, that it is absolute crap.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Its a close tie between WoW and ffxiv (endgame PvE) with PvP WoW wins tho.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Yea I felt like the combat was to slow and not enough skills in FFXIV for PVP.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    For PvE FFXIV ARR is my personal best.
    Chamber of Chains
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

"Best" is rather subjective ofc, but in terms of being a high-quality, stable game for years on end, nobody else even comes close.  Even if WoW were to shut down tomorrow, all of those devs could pat each other on the back and say, job well done.

FF XIV may in fact prove to be the next long-term, sub-maintaining game if it continues its current arc, but I don't see it pushing 12 million subs, or even 7 million really; that's not a knock on FF XIV, it's just that the game is for a slightly different brand of folks, imho.  I am hoping it stays healthy (and WoW too) so the "subs are evil" crowd will STFU.

WoW is extraordinarily stable, has tons of content, lots of traffic in the economy, and so forth, so while whether or not its content is considered the best, the overall game itself may be the best thing going, in terms of quality.  I think Eve has fallen off in terms of sheer player base but again, I hope that game keeps pumping along too.

There is apparently a large crowd preaching that Gw 2 is the new king but that's a joke (or has to be), no way in the world does that game have even 1 million regulars.  Again, not a knock on the game, but just a little common sense.

So yeah while WoW's content (especially the newer iterations) have turned a lot of people off, myself included, it is most likely still the best, at least for sheer playability and minimal worry over servers, etc.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    It's just going to be an opinion. Some people I am sure it is, for me it's not. I took a liking to EQ2 and UO.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

it kind of is the best.. and that's pretty sad considering how much they've been effin it up with each new expansion.

some other games may come close but they are still slightly worse than WoW.

at this point i'd be happy to just see another game with an engine that runs as smooth as WoWs.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

at this point i'd be happy to just see another game with an engine that runs as smooth as WoWs.

It's not hard for it to run smoothly, considering you can run in on a toaster.

I've seen mobile games with better gfx than WoW.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Well, in regards of content and replayability it would be easily #1. Of course the graphics and certain game mechanics are quite outdated though. Not sure if I'd say it's number one, but it's definitely in the top three.

I don't know any MMORPG though that I currently consider playing. A good non-MMORPG game beats these days a good MMORPG easily.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)