Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth giving a go for a new player?

kinky10kinky10 Member UncommonPosts: 215

I've never really played this game, I remember the open beta but I just didn't have time to give it a proper go and because it was a sub game I never did it.

I notice that it's F2P now altough with some restrictions but as it's so old are there any new players playing and leveling up?

It's a big client download so I'm don't really want to go for it if the opportunity has passed me by?

I'm looking to play a healer and jump into and out of groups with the odd solo play if possible.

Worth it?

Comments

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Yes, especially if you have a SSD (a lot of loading screens), and especially if you play with a friend/family/lover (can quest together no matter where you are because of the hologram teleportation system). Fun to see someone you're playing with answer questions in a quest with the trees blowing in the background and people running by. Ship battles look like they're over real planets. Epic cities (though you can't jump off every ledge [fake backgrounds sometimes]). You'll have fun leveling to the end, but probably wont stick around much after that. If you have a really nice computer, then GW2 looks amazing and is a thrill to explore. You can be a pirate in ArcheAge. ESO NPCs will look at and talk to you. WoW's PVP and story is the best...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by kinky10

I've never really played this game, I remember the open beta but I just didn't have time to give it a proper go and because it was a sub game I never did it.

I notice that it's F2P now altough with some restrictions but as it's so old are there any new players playing and leveling up?

It's a big client download so I'm don't really want to go for it if the opportunity has passed me by?

I'm looking to play a healer and jump into and out of groups with the odd solo play if possible.

Worth it?

There are still plenty of new players joining each day, especially now with the expansion coming up soon. And healers are pretty good for finding groups (both flashpoints and operations).

You'll have an easy time soloing with a healer as well, just pick a DPS or tank companion to play with.

I noticed you mentioned "the odd solo play" though, so I figure it should be worth pointing out that there isn't much grouping happening for the story quests themselves while leveling up. They are balanced to be soloable, and with the strong focus on story that's exactly what most people choose to do*.

Of course there's also heroic (group) quests on all planets, and plenty of flashpoints (dungeons) to group for once you hit level 10+. I thought it was worth pointing that out so you don't jump in with false expectations.

* Or as mentioned above, they team with close friends and/or family to go through them.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, as Azaron mentioned that "jump into and out of groups with the odd solo play if possible" part will be most likely the opposite (mainly solo, with some occasional grouping) - unless you bring your own group / friend / mate with yourself of course.

The "worth giving a go" in the title, depends on your goals, and your planned amount of payments, since the "F2P now altough with some restrictions"..., well, replace that "some" with "a LOT" image

But if you only want to play the stories, f2p is fine, more or less.

There's a couple fun healers in the game on both sides, for free you get 2 character slots, roll one on each side for getting the most out of the game :)