Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    Originally posted by Adren
    This is why we cant have nice things...they are asking for 50 dollars...for months of entertainment...not 50 dollars and a sub fee.. not 50 dollars and afterwards pay for dlc cuz the game is not finish...50 bucks and everything else is free... wow and ffxiv players are looking at us and shaking there heads cuz they have to pay a subfee every month for content not to mention pay for core game and the expansion...and some of us in the gw2 community is complaining about 50 dollars...GTFO there and mow some lawns u scrub

They're asking for $50 and a cash shop. Anyone remember Guild Wars 1 + Factions, Night fall and Eye of the North? Everything was in the game, aka stylish armor, weapon skins and even accessories. Now all that is in the cash shop. Want glasses? See cash shop. Even if you can buy cash shop items with gold, that is a massive grind (For something that should have been in game).

Simply put:

Guild Wars 2 - $50 purchase with cash shop

Heart of thorns - $50 purchase with cash shop

F2P games   - $0 purchase with cash shop

I question how much content is in Heart of thorns, and how much was taken out to be in the cash shop.

There are still people saying the core game comes "Free". No it does not. You need to buy HoT to get it. It is factored into the $50 which is the point of the whole argument. A expansion only copy would obviously cost less and yes it would be in your best interest to get a expansion only copy if you already own the core game.

yes, if you want EXTRA or LUXURY items, you have to grind, or pay more, this is how all mmos do it

50$ for a new game is standard too..take it or leave it

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    This is why we cant have nice things...they are asking for 50 dollars...for months of entertainment...not 50 dollars and a sub fee.. not 50 dollars and afterwards pay for dlc cuz the game is not finish...50 bucks and everything else is free... wow and ffxiv players are looking at us and shaking there heads cuz they have to pay a subfee every month for content not to mention pay for core game and the expansion...and some of us in the gw2 community is complaining about 50 dollars...GTFO there and mow some lawns u scrub

They're asking for $50 and a cash shop. Anyone remember Guild Wars 1 + Factions, Night fall and Eye of the North? Everything was in the game, aka stylish armor, weapon skins and even accessories. Now all that is in the cash shop. Want glasses? See cash shop. Even if you can buy cash shop items with gold, that is a massive grind (For something that should have been in game).

Simply put:

I question how much content is in Heart of thorns, and how much was taken out to be in the cash shop.

There are still people saying the core game comes "Free". No it does not. You need to buy HoT to get it. It is factored into the $50 which is the point of the whole argument. A expansion only copy would obviously cost less and yes it would be in your best interest to get a expansion only copy if you already own the core game.

You forget the fact that the costs of maintaining Guild Wars 2 are far greater than Guild Wars 1. Gw2 is superior game in every way (technologically speaking) and technology doesn't come cheap. Likewise, Guild Wars 1 is getting cheaper and cheaper to maintain given the servers that currently host Gw1 were probably just a nerd wet dream 10 years ago. 

It's ANet's policy to put a 50$, which I assume will be the same price tag for every following expansion since they'll be bundling every previous game/campaign/expansion within this price tag. 

Pretty much take it or leave it. There are perks for vets now. You have nothing to complain. 

At worst, give it some months after launch (maybe wait for christmas) when the prices drop. You are not required to get the expack to enjoy the game.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

do what i do then. based on what they told us so far i don't feel 50 dollars justify it so i am gonna wait for sales. plus since they are gonna make it available for free if there is another expansion then if you are not in a hurry might as well wait. if you are in a hurry then you have to pay up for that.

not sure why other people call you greedy etc. i seen way worse in other topics to be honest.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Simply put:

Guild Wars 2 B2P no Sub - $50 purchase For 3yrs with OPTIONAL cash shop

Heart of thorns B2P no Sub- $50 purchase For the next 3yrs with OPTIONAL cash shop

• Champion Online F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • ESO B2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • Rift F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • Tera F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • SWTOR F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • EQ2 F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • DCOU F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • AOC F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • TSW F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options

You didn't even try.

What I'm getting out of his example is that GW2 should also have an optional subscription model and a more vigorous cash shop. Maybe then you guys wouldn't have to wait so long for what many here seem to think is a substandard expansion.

Many? You have statistics?

Or are just like some of folks on these boards who like toss out numbers? This is fairly common here.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

The great thing about HoT is that you are not punished from not buying it, just like you were not punished from not buying Factions/Nightfall/EOTN.

ArenaNet has done an amazing thing here. If you play FFXIV you basically need the expansion. The new level cap and higher tiers of gear locks you out of the meta. The end game content you used to be able to do before is now out of your reach. Pay 40 dollars + a subscription to remain competitive. 

The same goes for most MMORPGs. WoW. Higher levels, gear and treadmills behind it. 

Not only that, but to not segregate the playerbase they have decided to give some of the new content away to the core-players. Meaning that even if you don't get the new expansion you get to take advantage of some of the feature set of the expansion- Mastery system, trait reworks, new sPvP gametype, new WvW borderlands map and more.

I've played the game for over 2000 hours, and I play almost daily albeit I can take breaks without having to worry about a sub fee or an invasive cash shop (like SWTOR). To me, giving improvements to the core game (an additional specialization, a new set of weapon and utility skills for all the classes) alone is worth it to pay 50 dollars for me. 

I play 60 dollars for games I play less than I play GW2 for free in a week. It's a no brainer for me. Time is money, so I will spend money to have a great time, and GW2 is just one of my favorite games. 

On top of all these things, ArenaNet has said they decided that adding a whole bunch of zones and landmass to make your product seem more enticing is not the answer. MMORPG expansion are notorious for making content you burn through to never want to replay and/or killing the content in the "old" or "core" game. 

They don't want to stifle Orr, Silverwaste, Southsun or the world bosses, dungeons and so on of the current game. The mastery system will reward progress, completion and discovery in the old world, and so they dont want end game to be in HoT. Maguuma waste is just supposed to be an adition. 

If we have learned anything from ArenaNets behavior, the way they do dailies, the way they design their content it is that they want to encourage variation in gameplay. They want you to hit different areas if you want to maximize your game. - You're rewarded for doing the daily thing pvp, wvw, fractal, dungeon, world activity, you're going to get bonus chests for world bosses once a day, you're going to get extra dungeon tokens once a day. 

All of this tells us that you don't have to buy HoT. You really don't. And if you are not deadset on a Revernant and you enjoy the current game and still has lots to do, there is good arguments to wait with the expansion. I think it makes perfect sense. 

I'm so happy that ArenaNet has this model. I feel they are the progressive ones in a industry that thrives on carrot-on-a-stick philosophies. I was very happy to see that ascended gear for example will continue to be negible in the 5% over exotic range too. 

Seeing the new Lions Arch, seeing how they restored old Lions Arch in the personal story, reworked the final mission in Orr to be soloable, reinstated the lost personal story chapter, and from the looks of reddit, giving us/working on build templates, I feel they are listening. But they are not just listening, they are doing so much because 350 developers are involved in the process. That's a lot.

There where 4 designers assigned to missions and quests in GW1. It's no secret that teams have grown so much bigger and projects have become much more costly. The higher fidelity in graphics require a lot more work. The complex gameplay systems and the much richer feature set is much more encompassing in GW2 than in 1.

It's unfair to compare it like that. Doing a single dynamic event is much more difficult and time consuming than doing the 100s of fed ex quests in GW1 which where just crap. It takes a lot more now. It's like this for all studios making games. Cost has gone up, prices go up. And with 50-60% of the budgets going on marketing for games its a really difficult subject. 

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I dont really understand the issue. World of Warcrafts expansion cost exactly the same, but I also had to buy the previous expansions and the base game, and a monthly fee. 

Surely this is much better deal all round? Or am I missing something?

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Kniknax

I dont really understand the issue. World of Warcrafts expansion cost exactly the same, but I also had to buy the previous expansions and the base game, and a monthly fee. 

better deal? sure but the expansion doesn't look like it's got a lot to offer and what they've shown looks kinda "meh"

all the previous expansions i've bought have been more like "whoa that's friggin awesome i want it"

also their  "i've got a secret" stance doesn't help... show us what we're buying before you ask us for money it's not that hard to figure out that people aren't gonna just throw money at them without  knowing what they are getting. especially with a price of 50$ which for some is a pretty hefty sum... so it's natural they wanna be sure that what they get is worth it.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

better deal? sure but the expansion doesn't look like it's got a lot to offer and what they've shown looks kinda "meh"

all the previous expansions i've bought have been more like "whoa that's friggin awesome i want it"

also their  "i've got a secret" stance doesn't help... show us what we're buying before you ask us for money it's not that hard to figure out that people aren't gonna just throw money at them without  knowing what they are getting. especially with a price of 50$ which for some is a pretty hefty sum... so it's natural they wanna be sure that what they get is worth it.

The best part is .... that they don't have to buy it.  Its kinda a weird stance to complain about things that cost 50 dollars that they don't even know if they want.   I'll be buying it .... and I know that what they said will come with it is enough for me.  

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Simply put:

QoS, Quality of Service. I have yet to play a F2P game that keeps me playing. You run into pay walls and P2W all over the F2P market. GW2 is a B2P game and as much as I think 50 is high for the size of the expansion, its not for the game. Its QoS and their cash shop is 100% optional. You can turn in game gold into gems. So many people using the cash shop dont do it with RL money. You got to give ANet something to work with to make new content. Stop crying you look silly and do what Im doing, wait for a sale. 

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

The best part is .... that they don't have to buy it.  Its kinda a weird stance to complain about things that cost 50 dollars that they don't even know if they want.   I'll be buying it .... and I know that what they said will come with it is enough for me.  

no they dont have to buy it but as long as it's being dangled in everyones faces with a "hurry up and buy" sign on it it's hard to ignore.. and even when it's designed the way it is you're still going to feel left out if you dont buy it. so then you look at the price again and think "hey maybe if the price was a little bit less".

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Moirae

You pay for the game once. And still you complain. Why did you think they would have expansions when they only have the original purchase price of the game? Seriously. This is what you get when you have no new money flowing in to pay developers to build new games. Even so called f2p games have money coming in via the cash shops. It makes sense. 

I suggest you do some careful thinking about the nature of wanting things on the cheap and the results of that thought pattern. You get what you pay for. 

Are you suggesting that since an expansion costs $50, it will be worth $50? I don't think it works that way...I get it, people like to take these opportunities to take pot shots at folks, lay some kind of blame, etc... That's part of the internet.

What I don't get is this line of thinking, I've seen a lot of it in these HOT discussions. Like the substance of said expansion is unimportant, even worse..thought on the matter is being discouraged. That's strange if you ask me. Are you guys salesmen or consumers?

And? If you pay $20 for a movie, does that mean it will be worth $20? If you buy that thousand dollar mattress, does that mean it will be worth the thousand dollars? That's life. You don't know that it will be worth that but they still have bills to pay. You will pay it or you won't. But if you don't pay for it, you won't get anything at all. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

no they dont have to buy it but as long as it's being dangled in everyones faces with a "hurry up and buy" sign on it it's hard to ignore.. and even when it's designed the way it is you're still going to feel left out if you dont buy it. so then you look at the price again and think "hey maybe if the price was a little bit less".

probably the fairest argument I've read.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Evil Anet trying to market their product to stone up excitement and sales? Everytine I see a car on tv I think oh that's nice, but I don't get angry at the tv because they are trying to sell it to me. It's $2 a month when you average it out, either pay it or not, what's the drama.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Here's a simple child friendly calc you can do to work out the relative cost of gw2;

List the top MMO
    For each MMO add the box price + expansions onto the monthly sub cost divide by number of months the game has been running. - guess what gw2 is the cheapest.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Even Blizzard with there monthly sub actually gave away the full game at the purchase of WOD and everyone before that had to buy the set at 20$ form november till december then at 10$ until just before the release of WOD. So now that a B2P game do it,  it is a crime? They have been in operation for 11 years with people paying the full time, that is way more then what you have put into this game.

Think about this please before posting OP, i am not trying to say you are totally wrong or that you are just mad at them and venting but if you look at monthly sub games doing this same thing and getting away with it. Why should a buy to play game that gets less money monthly and giving you a very good product or even  a equally good product then 1 of the biggest mmorpg on the market not be able to do the same thing as them? 

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Simply put:

Guild Wars 2 B2P no Sub - $50 purchase For 3yrs with OPTIONAL cash shop

Heart of thorns B2P no Sub- $50 purchase For the next 3yrs with OPTIONAL cash shop

• Champion Online F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • ESO B2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • Rift F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • Tera F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • SWTOR F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • EQ2 F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • DCOU F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • AOC F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • TSW F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options

You didn't even try.

What I'm getting out of his example is that GW2 should also have an optional subscription model and a more vigorous cash shop. Maybe then you guys wouldn't have to wait so long for what many here seem to think is a substandard expansion.

Many? You have statistics?

Or are just like some of folks on these boards who like toss out numbers? This is fairly common here.

Why no, if I had statistics I would have quoted an actual percentage. However I do have eyes and after wading through Anet's forums and these plus reddit, I can tell that its more than a handful of people upset about the $50.00 price tag. And the main reason they say they are upset? They don't feel what they've seen of the expansion is worth fifty bucks.

Personally I don't understand the uproar, I don't feel the price is unreasonable. However it seems many fans of the game feel they should be allowed to pay the box price for the core game and then pay nothing ever again. Which frankly I feel is a terrible business strategy to cultivate as I don't feel Anet's little zygote of a cash shop is up to the task of bringing in enough fresh money to allow the company to add new shinny features.

Which brings us directly back to why I feel this long overdue expansion may feel as anemic as it does to these complaining players. I feel the buy to play plus very light handed cash shop model isn't bringing in enough venture capital to fund the large and feature filled expansions people have come to expect from their experience with other MMOs. So when they look at what's being offered in HoT for $50 and then compare other games expansion content and pricing they are left feeling a little underwhelmed

Completely agree with this. It isn't so much an issue of not being willing to throw $50 at Arenanet. I have spent hundreds on it already on my own account and have bought other people copies of the game because it is a great game and worth every penny. That is not in question. The issue for a lot of people who already own the game is, is the very small amount of additional map space that they are adding to the game worth $50. And for many of us, that is very questionable. Especially compared to what they use to offer for $50 in GW1 in expansions(doubling the size of the game world).

They may have decided not to increase the size of the game world for fear that the population would spread out too much, but for those of us who want fresh world exploration and non-story content, this expansion offers very little. If they really so badly need an extra $50 from their players, then at least have them throw in about $30 in gems if the game key is added to an existing account. I could see paying perhaps $20 for the additional map area on offer and then getting gems out of the balance. Meanwhile if the new version of the game is used as a new account, then its still $50 for new players with expansion included but without the additional gems. That seems fair to me. Everyone wins. Arenanet gets their $50 out of everyone. New players get to just pay $50 for the whole game up to that point. And old players get their moneys worth.

Simply expecting us to rebuy the game every time an expansion comes along for the sake of new players getting everything up to date when they start, is a bit unfair to loyal players if the new expansion content does not justify a $50 cost. Having an additional copy of the base game does what for us exactly? What the hell am I going to do with it, I already have an account. If I want to get a new person into the game, I'll buy them the whole thing again. I'm not going to put them in the same position Arenanet is choosing to put me in later on down the road if they like the game and want the expansions. If I like the person enough to buy them the game, I'm not going to slap them in the face like that. It isn't about the money to me.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Nailzzz

They may have decided not to increase the size of the game world for fear that the population would spread out too much, but for those of us who want fresh world exploration and non-story content, this expansion offers very little. If they really so badly need an extra $50 from their players, then at least have them throw in about $30 in gems if the game key is added to an existing account. I could see paying perhaps $20 for the additional map area on offer and then getting gems out of the balance. Meanwhile if the new version of the game is used as a new account, then its still $50 for new players with expansion included but without the additional gems. That seems fair to me. Everyone wins. Arenanet gets their $50 out of everyone. New players get to just pay $50 for the whole game up to that point. And old players get their moneys worth.

Simply expecting us to rebuy the game every time an expansion comes along for the sake of new players getting everything up to date when they start, is a bit unfair to loyal players if the new expansion content does not justify a $50 cost. Having an additional copy of the base game does what for us exactly? What the hell am I going to do with it, I already have an account. If I want to get a new person into the game, I'll buy them the whole thing again. I'm not going to put them in the same position Arenanet is choosing to put me in later on down the road if they like the game and want the expansions. If I like the person enough to buy them the game, I'm not going to slap them in the face like that. It isn't about the money to me.

Silverwastes is a small map. It is one of the bests and most played maps in GW2.

It has the best meta event and it is rewarding.

Do we want 20 maps that we play once or do we want a handful of maps we keep on playing?

And by all the accounts the new expansion maps are Silverwastes 2.0 XXXL.

You aren't buying the base game again. You get no additional copy of the base game.  

You either get to update your progress to GW2:HoT or start a new GW2:HoT account. 

The base game is now GW2:HoT.

Then it will be GW2:Expansion 2. Then GW2:Expansion 3.

If you choose you can wait until they stop dropping expansions to then get all the content in one go. Of course the content will then be years old.

What you pay for is to get fresh content now. Anet will not charge you for the old content as long as you paid for the fresh one.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

god, i hope they dont model it after silverwastes, that is such a fail map

i could barely stand exploring it with one of my toons, forget the quests

look at the numbers, if it was good, more people would play it

they dont

and they new lions arch? pretty, but what a Waste of resources

you look at it for a minute, and most of us would rather have had some REAL content instead

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Silverwastes always has people doing the meta event in several copies of it.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

An "Expansion Only" copy would still be $50.

Because that's the price of the expansion. $50.

Do you understand this? It's $50.

Forget all the other stuff - the expansion is $50.

Now, if you don't agree with the price point, that's fine. Don't get it then.

But, even if they offered a version with the core game and a version without the core game, they would both be $50.

Because that's what they are charging. $50.

Also, just because they did something one way in the past, it doesn't mean they have to do it that way now. It's their product - they could sell it with a giraffe if they wanted.

I don't understand what the issue is here. HoT is $50 - take it or leave it.

Not sure what you mean about the gemstore - I've been playing since launch and have not spent a single cent in the gem store. I have bought items, but always by turning gold into gems - no real money. HoT won't be any different.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

The Silverwastes are always packed - their are always multiple maps.

Yes, HoT will likely be like SW. It's a fantastic map. You would seem to be in the minority.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by SalmonMan

The Silverwastes are always packed - their are always multiple maps.

Yes, HoT will likely be like SW. It's a fantastic map. You would seem to be in the minority.

Looks like you play the game and have legitimate comments! Some people watch youtube and discern what they can from it and base opinions in forums. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by SalmonMan The Silverwastes are always packed - their are always multiple maps. Yes, HoT will likely be like SW. It's a fantastic map. You would seem to be in the minority.
    Looks like you play the game and have legitimate comments! Some people watch youtube and discern what they can from it and base opinions in forums. 

Indeed. It always tickles me when people claim to have knowledge of a thing based on stuff they read on reddit. People go and post on reddit for two reasons (1) to be funny, or (2) to be angry.

So if you're reading highly negative comments on reddit, it's a consequence of the demographic served rather than anything else.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    They're asking for 50 bucks after 3 years, I fail to see anything wrong with their request. 

if it is, i will get a refund,  i refuse to play more of that

i just want some normal quests, in a normal zone

they have done it before, so we know they can