Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: MMORPG’s Best of E3 2015 Awards

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It’s that time of year! Time to blather on about the games we drooled over the most at E3 2015. Yes, we know these awards mean very little in the grand scheme of things. But stop being so pessimistic. Games are fun, and being excited about the ones you want to play in the future is part of what makes this hobby so great. So without further ado, here are our picks for the Best of E3 2015.

Read more of our MMORPG's Best of E3 2015 Awards.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ruiguiaruiguia Member UncommonPosts: 7

There is no E3 only Final Fantasy 7

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    E3 also costs way too much, when companies can spend a few grand to showcase at PAX to get their game in players' hands, not press. I love PAX for this reason. It's for the players, not the media and salespeople.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by DMKano

As E3 loses dev studio attendance (and relevance) , PAX and Gamescom gain more studios each year and gain more relevance.

Maybe E3 should consider changing their fees and regulations to make it more attractive to all?

At this rate E3 will just end up in 2 companies at the show - Sony and Microsoft.

Well, not 2. But maybe they should change the name to A3 (AAA) because it does seem like the number of indies there has dwindled. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Really looking forward to Torchlight =-) Great list!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I have to agree, E3 is far too expensive for most studios, hence you only get a small representation of the industry.

I have to say that your list Bill is abysmal.   The offerings in anything, whether pseudo MMO or an attempt at one is just sad.

The only yay I found was torchlight.  Guess I am going to have to go back and try FFXIV for the fourth time and see if it is any better.  It is nice that the RPG area has resurrected itself, but they always end far too quickly for me.  Until EA gets their head out of their butt and fixes space in SWTOR it will also be a half finished game that most of us will avoid.  And if "life is feudal" is the best of the indie games out there it is a sad time for them as well.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I have to agree, E3 is far too expensive for most studios, hence you only get a small representation of the industry.

I have to say that your list Bill is abysmal.   The offerings in anything, whether pseudo MMO or an attempt at one is just sad.

The only yay I found was torchlight.  Guess I am going to have to go back and try FFXIV for the fourth time and see if it is any better.  It is nice that the RPG area has resurrected itself, but they always end far too quickly for me.  Until EA gets their head out of their butt and fixes space in SWTOR it will also be a half finished game that most of us will avoid.  And if "life is feudal" is the best of the indie games out there it is a sad time for them as well.

Gotta remember Oz, these are the games that are THERE at E3. The ones we saw, not the ones that weren't around. There were really only two Indie MMOs of note at E3: Shroud and LiF. LiF had a great showing, and while Shroud was looking awesome on Unity 5 and with new combat changes, they were just there with a recent update and have won awards already.  LiF became the logical choice when we voted. 

Personally, I'm actually glad to see EXISTING MMOs doing so well. FFXIV, SWTOR, ESO, GW2, and so forth are all adding content and improving constantly. While I understand that these games won't please everyone and it's natural to want and look for something new. I'm happy that existing games are finding their niche and getting success.

My Review Manifesto

• katonkyuubikatonkyuubi Member UncommonPosts: 9
    No Fallout 4?what is this blasphemy?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There was actually a lot more interesting games than i expected,including Indie games.

Anno "Ubisoft", Assasin's Creed,ARK,Batman,Battlecry,Divinity,Fallout4,Tom Clancy  actually just too many too list,so there was definitely a lot there to see.

Personally the few that really caught my eye was Anno and some Arena game i forget name of and Tom Clany the Division.However i have already watched a prior long video on the Division and it will not be quite up to what it should be.I even got the feeling the guy they have representing the displays of The Division even felt like it was going to release a bit short on expectations,like maps and multiplayer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Between Sword Coast Legends, Xcom 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Fallen Empire I'll be set for the rest of the year. (And most likely for a good part of the new year)

So I'm a happy camper alright. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"Best Pseudo MMO"

It does not have to be a MMO, give it a proper genre name, we will forgive you. :)

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

Best MMO or RPG?  I remember when games used to be MMO and RPG.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi 

This whole list is ridiculous when even Fallout 4 isn't on it.

Stop trying to be "edgy" and acting like any of the "indie" games on this list are in any way, shape, or form comparable to THE most anticipated RPG shown at E3.

I disagree.  This list was IMHO, well written  and specified the reasons for the choices, also given as was said they reviewed the games that were showcased.  I have found plenty to disagree with former lists and awards but not this time.  Even though I am not interested in some of these games it is difficult to argue with the write up and the selections.

As for the discussion re: the relevance of E3 given it's outrageous costs.  I suggest that is a topic well worth covering, and would love to see a professional article comparing the different shows.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Stop trying to be "edgy" and acting like any of the "indie" games on this list are in any way, shape, or form comparable to THE most anticipated RPG shown at E3.

Its a laughable list because they say the reason was Fallout 4 wasn't playable yet they have games on the list that weren't playable.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    maybe ill buy something,meh.
  • zidderszidders Member UncommonPosts: 1

Max Schaefer (CEO of Runic) was good enough to address the Torchlight community's concerns here http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67061&sid=31b57ceb1916823136e01e3e953622d9#p506969 Posted this since I know a lot of us Torchlight fans were turned off by the energy thing. Please feel free to sign up and give Runic your feedback (and join our awesome community). :)

Also-I don't work for Runic or anything I'm just a longtime fan. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    E3 also costs way too much, when companies can spend a few grand to showcase at PAX to get their game in players' hands, not press. I love PAX for this reason. It's for the players, not the media and salespeople.

Yeah when I was at E3 in 2012 I talked to some of my friends in person at different floor booths and found out first hand how much it costs to showcase on e3 floor. For example Wargaming had a medium size booth and it cost them over $3 mil. That is absurd.

There simply is no return for that kind of investment.

Yep.

My buddies at all the E3s I've been to, have also told me this. Glad they listened to my suggestions.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ciaptainmilkmanciaptainmilkman Member UncommonPosts: 3

you need 1 fallout 4

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Hmm, am i the only one who thought Bloodbowl looked amazing? i have never played any of the previous ones, but after seeing that, it kind of made me want to play it when its out image
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    One word...Shenmue. Can't think of any title I'm anticipating more. Been waiting for it since 2001.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Distopia
    One word...Shenmue. Can't think of any title I'm anticipating more. Been waiting for it since 2001.

Its an intriguing game, the whole Kickstarter thing seemed at first to be a PR stunt, but now, not so sure, different stories are emerging where Sony aren't in fact backing the game financially as was previously assumed, and that the game would be reliant on kickstarter for the bulk of the funding, still waiting for more news on that front tbh, but i would like to see the game made, hopefully it will be image

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The Division going to be a "must play" when it launches?

Well, so was AC: Unity, Watch_Dogs, etc. Is Ubisoft's past so easily forgotten???

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Phry
    Hmm, am i the only one who thought Bloodbowl looked amazing? i have never played any of the previous ones, but after seeing that, it kind of made me want to play it when its out image

Bloodbowl is a great game .. you can grab the first one and expan pretty cheap on Steam ... try it out and get ready for 2

• MissAdventureMissAdventure Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Wylf

I disagree.  This list was IMHO, well written  and specified the reasons for the choices, also given as was said they reviewed the games that were showcased.  I have found plenty to disagree with former lists and awards but not this time.  Even though I am not interested in some of these games it is difficult to argue with the write up and the selections.

As for the discussion re: the relevance of E3 given it's outrageous costs.  I suggest that is a topic well worth covering, and would love to see a professional article comparing the different shows.

I usually disagree with most lists offered here as well.  Not this one.  For whatever reason, maybe it was a smarter criteria, maybe the games that were displayed actually were deserving, I found myself agreeing with Bill for once.

While I agree to the sub-conversation of E3 and it's steep participation cost, I also believe it will self-resolve.  By that, I mean PAX will simply become the more relevant show that gets the most coverage and the most attendees, as well as a much larger and deeper representation of the gaming industry.  E3 will simply become a smaller and less attended venue until they change, or the organizers decide to pull the plug when they aren't hitting their expected dollar figures.

I'd be interested in reading an article about it.  In particular, I would like to see discussions from people who wanted to attend but couldn't afford it, those who went but hated shelling out the outrageous fee, and those who choose to boycott E3 entirely.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Interesting.  I check like 4-5 game boards daily and have never heard of Knights of the Fallen Empire.  I think it must only be "most anticipated" among people who are on a Bioware mailing list...
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

EQN Best of Show, 3 years running!

Just kidding, but seriously I will never let that go.