Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen empire classes and combat

According to the preview reports from E3 there will be 8 new classes and an overhauled combat system...  Does anyone have inside information on this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    According to the preview reports from E3 there will be 8 new classes and an overhauled combat system...  Does anyone have inside information on this?

I wouldn't count on that. So far the only thing I've heard is that we'll be getting new skills for the existing classes. (And it sounds like a combat overhaul)

If there was even a hint of 8 new classes the official forums would be in a frenzy over them. I think you've either misread something, or the person you've got it from seriously misunderstood something.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I wouldn't count on that. So far the only thing I've heard is that we'll be getting new skills for the existing classes. (And it sounds like a combat overhaul)

If there was even a hint of 8 new classes the official forums would be in a frenzy over them. I think you've either misread something, or the person you've got it from seriously misunderstood something.

I wasn't sure if it was a subtle hint that they're merging the dark/light version of classes.  In a world with no Republic/Sith Empire and where everyone will be taking on the role of the Outlander in the new story.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by reeereee

I wasn't sure if it was a subtle hint that they're merging the dark/light version of classes.  In a world with no Republic/Sith Empire and where everyone will be taking on the role of the Outlander in the new story.

As i said, 8 new classess born from the ashes of the current 16... With some new abbilities..

combat itselves will also change, requiring much more movement and reaction, it will get a little faster too

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

Can you link those previews please?

Because the ones I saw imply nothing of the sort. Certainly not a reworking of the classes. They're reworking/streamlining the 8 class stories to basically speed up leveling.

And as for the combat rehaul, it sounded to me that what Bruce was trying to say is that the new abilities classes are getting with the level cap raise emphasise mobility - basically hinting that they're instant cast.

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135

As i said, 8 new classess born from the ashes of the current 16... 

Source?

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

As i said, 8 new classess born from the ashes of the current 16... With some new abbilities..

combat itselves will also change, requiring much more movement and reaction, it will get a little faster too

I remember another star wars game that had a combat upgrade .......  and an nge to follow.  From what I understand EA / Bioware want to make ToR more like a Bioware rpg and less like an MMO.  If this is true then I may just play it again as I don't particularly like ToR at the moment.  However, it means that the core players who have invested a bucket load of time into the current game and who like it for what it is are being treated as unimportant in the search for a new player base, which is exactly what happened with SWG and we know how that turned out.  Changing the core principles and systems of an already established game with a loyal following is a recipe for disaster.  Maybe there are enough people out there that love the old BW rpg's to take up the slack and make it a success or maybe I just read the info wrong.  I do however have a friend that has played ToR since release.  He has multiple top level characters and has greeted the news so far in a way that reminds me how I reacted to the NGE, make of that what you will. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Stuka1000
    However, it means that the core players who have invested a bucket load of time into the current game and who like it for what it is are being treated as unimportant in the search for a new player base, which is exactly what happened with SWG and we know how that turned out.  Changing the core principles and systems of an already established game with a loyal following is a recipe for disaster.  Maybe there are enough people out there that love the old BW rpg's to take up the slack and make it a success or maybe I just read the info wrong.  I do however have a friend that has played ToR since release.  He has multiple top level characters and has greeted the news so far in a way that reminds me how I reacted to the NGE, make of that what you will. 

Hardly. The vast majority of the game's long-term players are the ones that play it for the story. If you don't enjoy the story, there are better alternatives out there.

Of course that's not the only thing that many of the players enjoy. Some also enjoy PvP in addition to the stories, others lean more towards raiding. And they're not abandoning that content either, they're just adding a large chuck of story content (and streamlining the game) to support and improve upon their strongest feature more.

Originally posted by R.Lima

As i said, 8 new classess born from the ashes of the current 16... 

Source?

None as far as I can tell.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Any sources to this claim?  I'm sincerely interested.