Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

Overall value is what you decide you want to put on it.  The problem is.. players are trying to tell the development team what the value they should be putting on something is.

I've bought 50 dollar games that lasted a month.. and 50 dollar games that lasted 5+ years.  One clearly has a better value to me, but if  I suspected I wouldn't get the value out of that purchase I wouldn't buy it.

People complaining are people that see that there IS value..  they want to purchase it.... at least in some form.. but they can't or won't because of ..whatever kind of nonsense they spout.. and in the end they try to pressure the development team into changing their minds on the value of THEIR product.    Its stronger to vote with their wallet... but even then their hope that there will be a significant price drop in 6 months is wishful thinking.  This consumer bullying instead of just making a decision on a purchase has become overplayed and idiotic.

See this is exactly what the poster above was trying to illustrate.  You lump all the reasons people have given as "nonsense".  This right here is the prime example of why this kind of discussion is impossible on this site!  Individuals are voicing their opinions, as they should and the opposition is using ad hominem to discredit.  There is no discussion here.  It's like trying to talk to someone and all they are doing is putting their fingers in their ears yelling "I WON'T HEAR YOU."

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Originally posted by Betakodo
    So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

People need to get it through their heads that they aren't adding to the price of the expansion with the addition of the base game. They are giving people who buy the expansion a FREE copy of Guild Wars 2 vanilla with the expansion IF you don't have an existing Guild Wars 2 account.

Let me break it down for you so it's easier for you to digest:

1) If you DON'T own a copy of Guild Wars 2, you get a FREE copy with HotT.
    2) If you DO own a copy Guild Wars 2, you get a FREE character slot.
    2a) If you got your copy of Guild Wars 2 in (roughly) 2015, you are entitled to a full refund.

That's it.

[mod edit]

^This.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Sinsai

People need to get it through their heads that they aren't adding to the price of the expansion with the addition of the base game. They are giving people who buy the expansion a FREE copy of Guild Wars 2 vanilla with the expansion IF you don't have an existing Guild Wars 2 account.

2a) If you got your copy of Guild Wars 2 in (roughly) 2015, you are entitled to a full refund.

That's it.

[mod edit]

^This.

Incorrect.  There is no such thing as "free".

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by grimal

That's it.

[mod edit]

^This.

the word 'free' is correct within the context it was given.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

So.....

How about that ArcheAge eh.... image

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

See this is exactly what the poster above was trying to illustrate.  You lump all the reasons people have given as "nonsense".  This right here is the prime example of why this kind of discussion is impossible on this site!  Individuals are voicing their opinions, as they should and the opposition is using ad hominem to discredit.  There is no discussion here.  It's like trying to talk to someone and all they are doing is putting their fingers in their ears yelling "I WON'T HEAR YOU."

its only nonsense because they expect the developers to cater to them specifically.  I've heard plenty of "reasons" why they want a price reduction.  PRICE REDUCTION.  the best price reduction is not buying it.  No reasons are valid for a price reduction unless the company decides there needs to be one.  We are on the outside of the purchase of an entertainment program... since when should every single one of our personal reasons be catered to by a multinational company for nonessential entertainment value? Its a buy or not buy scenario. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

That's it.

[mod edit]

^This.

Incorrect indeed, since the preorder part was not mentioned... as in you only get the +1 slot, or the refund (if you bought the game after January from them, retailers don't count), if you preorder. Actually for the refund there's even the date, you need to preorder before August - though I think if there's a launch delay they will extend the period too.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    So glad I bought my copy this year.  HoT for $10?  Yes please!
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

I always find it interesting that those people who do find value in their purchase MUST FORCE others to view the same value for the same purchase.  You all are arguing opinions as if they are facts.   It's always the same people in the same threads for both sides too.  

I always find it interesting that those people who don't find value in the purchase MUST FORCE others to view the same value for the same purchase.  You all are arguing opinions as if they are facts.   It's always the same people in the same threads for both sides too.  

See works both ways.

The main fact is value is subjective and depends if you are actually playing the game or not.

All the rest is gibberish.

People aren't going to buy or not buy because the expansion if it is 10 zones but if it is only 5 they won't.

It is also isn't a clear cut thing that 10 zones are better than 5.

If of those 10 zones 9 take 1 hour each to finish and the other you spend 10 hours on it while each of the 5 zones take 5 hours to finish, what is better?

What if of those 10 zones only 1 has actual replay value while all of the 5 zones you will playing every week?

Value maybe how many hours you spend in the game having fun.

Or maybe the value was in a game that only lasted 5 hours but the story was so intense it had you glued to the screen

It is highly subjective.

The only objective thing is that GW2 is a high quality game, that you may or may not enjoy the playstyle and what it offers.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

I always find it interesting that those people who do find value in their purchase MUST FORCE others to view the same value for the same purchase.  You all are arguing opinions as if they are facts.   It's always the same people in the same threads for both sides too.  

I've seen a few people arguing as if they have facts on their side when it comes to the value, not many though. I certainly as well as most I've been discussing this topic with haven't ...that's for sure. Most posts are presented from a personal point of view. The only real problem I see is throwing so many subjects into these arguments. OR those assuming everyone is some GW2 hater/troll. Those are normal happenings though so no worries really.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Dear Op, 

Don't buy it then. There is no SUB, it's a fair price for free content there-on-after. 

End

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

Dear Op, 

Don't buy it then. There is no SUB, it's a fair price for free content there-on-after. 

End

There is cash shop. Also, if you didn't log in for Living story season 2, you had to pay 200 gems for it or something like 800 for the whole set. How do we know they're not going to pull that again?

To the "Freerers", just because a marketing team labels something as "Free", doesn't make it so. Do you get to play Guild Wars if you pay $0? Of course not, you have to buy HoT.

So, how many people claiming it's "Free" actually own Guild Wars 2 already anyways? It's a slap in the face of the millions of people who already own the game. Yes, it makes good business sense to bundle it if you want to attract new players, but for their existing customer base, they should have offered it as less for just the expansion. Both you and I know that the cost of the core game is factored into the $50. For the $50 price point, what do they offer to the people who left Guild Wars 2?

The only true free games are the F2P where yes, we've paid $0 to play. In Guild Wars 2, you paid $50 to have a inventory bag slot locked, legalized RMT, "Convenience" locked away on purpose and most all the good looking armors and weapons in the cash shop.

P.S

Guild halls were a feature that were supposed to be released with Guild Wars 2's original release. Then they said they were releasing it later. Now it's a main feature of HoT. I'm curious if some guild halls are going to be cash shop only.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Dear Op, 

End

There is cash shop. Also, if you didn't log in for Living story season 2, you had to pay 200 gems for it or something like 800 for the whole set. How do we know they're not going to pull that again?

To the "Freerers", just because a marketing team labels something as "Free", doesn't make it so. Do you get to play Guild Wars if you pay $0? Of course not, you have to buy HoT.

So, how many people claiming it's "Free" actually own Guild Wars 2 already anyways? It's a slap in the face of the millions of people who already own the game. Yes, it makes good business sense to bundle it if you want to attract new players, but for their existing customer base, they should have offered it as less for just the expansion. Both you and I know that the cost of the core game is factored into the $50. For the $50 price point, what do they offer to the people who left Guild Wars 2?

The only true free games are the F2P where yes, we've paid $0 to play. In Guild Wars 2, you paid $50 to have a inventory bag slot locked, legalized RMT, "Convenience" locked away on purpose and most all the good looking armors and weapons in the cash shop.

P.S

Guild halls were a feature that were supposed to be released with Guild Wars 2's original release. Then they said they were releasing it later. Now it's a main feature of HoT. I'm curious if some guild halls are going to be cash shop only.

If you even played the game you would know all you had to do was FARM the FUCKING GOLD exchange it for GEMS.

You also have the OPTION to join friend who has the Living Story unlock and then it would be unlock for you.

Plenty of folks made these suggestions[mod edit]

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by ReaperUk
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I have no sympathy for people complaining after this correction.

Some people are never happy. Welcome to mmorpg.com.

I was happy once, it was an overrated experience.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

@betakodo, gems are free to play once you pay the box price, I have played on and off since release, and It is free for me, the episodes I've unlocked by simply exchanging gold for gems. Glass is half full not half empty.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

and forcthose arguing ita not free to play because of the box price, your wrong, the client code is the box price, the ability to play online and have all the security, state, updates, concurrency mgmt is free.

Put it this way, if you bought a phone and the phone company offered you free calls, you would not say the calls is not free to play because you paid for the handset.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

Frankly I would have loved to see an expansion only option and who knows maybe it will come, but adding in the character slot helps.

I am still waiting though to see what all/how much this expansion truly offers before I comment the money.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

P.S

*checks his face in the mirror to see if there is a red mark from said slap*

Nope no slap here. Perhaps  you are over reacting or maybe this is how you normally are in which case you should probably stay away from gaming all together since just about everything will set you off.

As others have said either buy it or don't based on its potential worth to you.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Kefo

Nope no slap here. Perhaps  you are over reacting or maybe this is how you normally are in which case you should probably stay away from gaming all together since just about everything will set you off.

You folks really don't have to read these threads, if you feel there is nothing to discuss, why keep adding more of the same response? Adding snide remarks like this isn't going to shutdown others from sharing their opinions, it will in actuality do nothing other than make them want to reinforce those points.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

i will buy an extra box, to honor KOJAK

i suggest you all do the same

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Dear Op, 

End

P.S

You are still missing the point- the expansion is $50 or whatever and they throw in the base game for free if you don't have it already.

Its not a "slap in the face" to millions of gamers who own GW2, its yet another example of how amazing this team is, willing to go completely against the established norm in Western mmos of charging a sub, box price for game, and charging extra for any expansions.

Please go look at how much you have to pay for WoW or FF14 plus expansions (plus add on years of sub time), then look at how much they are charging for the GW2 expansion (and a free copy of the base GW2 game) and come back here and thank the devs for being fucking awesome revolutionaries in the mmo industry. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kefo

You folks really don't have to read these threads, if you feel there is nothing to discuss, why keep adding more of the same response? Adding snide remarks like this isn't going to shutdown others from sharing their opinions, it will in actuality do nothing other than make them want to reinforce those points.

Every single word you wrote could also apply to "you folks" as well.  It's a two way street here, and no one is going to give in or say, "you know, you are right".  Surely you have realized this by now in the threads where you defended a particular game or sided on those who had something negative to say.  When threads go this long, they cease being a discussion and just become pissing contests.  Sometimes they even start off as pissing contests, depending on the particular game's forums.

And no, I don't expect you to say, "you know, you are right!"  I'm expecting something else.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    This is why we cant have nice things...they are asking for 50 dollars...for months of entertainment...not 50 dollars and a sub fee.. not 50 dollars and afterwards pay for dlc cuz the game is not finish...50 bucks and everything else is free... wow and ffxiv players are looking at us and shaking there heads cuz they have to pay a subfee every month for content not to mention pay for core game and the expansion...and some of us in the gw2 community is complaining about 50 dollars...GTFO there and mow some lawns u scrub
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Adren
    This is why we cant have nice things...they are asking for 50 dollars...for months of entertainment...not 50 dollars and a sub fee.. not 50 dollars and afterwards pay for dlc cuz the game is not finish...50 bucks and everything else is free... wow and ffxiv players are looking at us and shaking there heads cuz they have to pay a subfee every month for content not to mention pay for core game and the expansion...and some of us in the gw2 community is complaining about 50 dollars...GTFO there and mow some lawns u scrub

They're asking for $50 and a cash shop. Anyone remember Guild Wars 1 + Factions, Night fall and Eye of the North? Everything was in the game, aka stylish armor, weapon skins and even accessories. Now all that is in the cash shop. Want glasses? See cash shop. Even if you can buy cash shop items with gold, that is a massive grind (For something that should have been in game).

Simply put:

Guild Wars 2 - $50 purchase with cash shop

Heart of thorns - $50 purchase with cash shop

F2P games   - $0 purchase with cash shop

I question how much content is in Heart of thorns, and how much was taken out to be in the cash shop.

There are still people saying the core game comes "Free". No it does not. You need to buy HoT to get it. It is factored into the $50 which is the point of the whole argument. A expansion only copy would obviously cost less and yes it would be in your best interest to get a expansion only copy if you already own the core game.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Adren

They're asking for $50 and a cash shop. Anyone remember Guild Wars 1 + Factions, Night fall and Eye of the North? Everything was in the game, aka stylish armor, weapon skins and even accessories. Now all that is in the cash shop. Want glasses? See cash shop. Even if you can buy cash shop items with gold, that is a massive grind (For something that should have been in game).

Simply put:

Guild Wars 2 B2P no Sub - $50 purchase For 3yrs with OPTIONAL cash shop

Heart of thorns B2P no Sub- $50 purchase For the next 3yrs with OPTIONAL cash shop

F2P games   - $0 purchase with cash shop

• Champion Online F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • ESO B2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • Rift F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • Tera F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • SWTOR F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • EQ2 F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • DCOU F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • AOC F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options
    • TSW F2P with Subscription and Cash Shop options

I question how much content is in Heart of thorns, and how much was taken out to be in the cash shop.

There are still people saying the core game comes "Free". No it does not. You need to buy HoT to get it. It is factored into the $50 which is the point of the whole argument. A expansion only copy would obviously cost less and yes it would be in your best interest to get a expansion only copy if you already own the core game.

You didn't even try.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!