Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Transgender Character Now in Lion's Arch

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As part of the Lion's Arch makeover in Guild Wars 2, a new transgender NPC has joined the city's ranks. Aid Worker Sya, she was formerly known as Symon. She chose to embrace her true nature after losing all that she had in the attacks on Lion's Arch. While not a major NPC, she is a welcome addition to the game.

Find out more at the links above.

image     image

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Maybe now they'll allow for transrace characters.  I think my ele is done being a sylvari. 

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    congrats?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    What a load of bs...the world is going crazy...
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    damn political correctness.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    I got a stack of 10 foot poles here that I'm not gunna use folks, free while supplies last.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Nice, I love cool little changes like this
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

In a world filled with magic I suspect it happens all the time.

Besides, not like anyone can tell that she once used to be a dude. So it's hardly a big deal.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

This is why I always hated Lion's Arch.  Always so full of tolerance, diversity, racial harmony... like some bizarre model politically correct workplace.

Not that those don't have value in real life but I want my fantasy settings more gritty. 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I think it's smart they did this. Even though some players might have some ethical problems with it; I believe this makes them unique and could attract more diverse players.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    I don't know why anyone would care enough about a random NPC to complain about a change here either way.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    I don't know why anyone would care enough about a random NPC to complain about a change here either way.

I don't know why they think anyone cares enough to make it a front page discussion? 

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by ceratop001
    I think it's smart they did this. Even though some players might have some ethical problems with it; I believe this makes them unique and could attract more diverse players.

What about biological/scientific problems...if the DNA has not changed the sex has not changed.   Just the psychology, which is pseudo-science.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Gonna discuss scientific problems in a game filled with fireballs and people that never sleep or poop?!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    And it's not trans-sex, it's transgender which is a difference. Gender isn't the same as sex.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    We be pandering.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    That's... retarded.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

According to a quick run through the literature, there's somewhere between .5 and 1.7 percent of births with some intersex anomalies.   That means hundreds of thousands of people in the US alone.   At the minimum.

One in 1000 births don't have XX or XY chromosomes.   XXY is pretty common as well.  And apparently there are a load of other causes that lead to sexually ambivalent human beings who don't always fit a This-or-That presumption.

About the character, don't care much, one way or the other.  Would have been better off as an Easter Egg in my opinion. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I am offended that these developers have not made a game without cash shops. I have been treated unfairly in this matter and discriminated against beyond all belief.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by observer

All we need now is Anita Sarkeesian and other Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) to chime in and demand representation of androgynous characters.

If it feels forced, i'm against it, but if it's part of a developing story i don't mind, but most of the times these politically correct implementations are forced and in your face.

What's next?  A white NPC declaring to the playerbase that he is now black, much like Rachel Dolezal did?  Where does it stop?  Do we really need to be reminded that people are bigoted and should be accepting these "victims"?  Because that's what this is all about.  It's also about the tokenization of minority groups, treating them as a quota to be met, which is even more offensive.

Developers need to be sensitive to the needs of bots in their games.  Too many human-o-centric character choices!  When are they going to add bot-centric character choices?

waynejr2

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354

Random NPC in random MMO is transgender?

I am surprised this didn't make it to the frontpage of reddit and CNN, yet.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I'm not against the idea of this, but I am genuinely curious of something...

Why was this necessary?

Is there some lore/story related reason to make this a necessary change? Something that made this relevant to the world/lore/story of GW2?

Or is ANet doing this just to make some kind of statement? Is it out of some kind of cynicism, where they figure it'll get the game some press?

Are they riding the wave of publicity regarding Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner?

It just seems very forced and arbitrary to me; out of left field.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    And it's not trans-sex, it's transgender which is a difference. Gender isn't the same as sex.

Gender is masculinity or femininity.  Sex is male (he) and female (she).  One can change on a scale...the other is dictated by DNA.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Volgore
    damn political correctness.

It's actually political cowardice. 

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Well,the gear does look better.
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Cool :)

I like progressive developers.

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

This discussion has been closed.