Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

talking about.

Hating on WoW went out of fashion when GW2 released.  Get with the times man.

No one is hating on WoW. Go back to sleep now

I think he was trying to say it's now the cool thing to hate on GW2...

lol...whew

So hard to keep up with trends here. Apologies and stuff....Ima go eat now :P

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Thupli

I think $50 for a normal expansion is high. This is not normal to me cause it's 3 years or so out...but still I think it's too high of a price. I won't be getting it either way.

I DO however think the people bitching are being silly. Bitching about stupid shite. What's the price of the latest WoW expansion? HoT has the same (just about right?) as most WoW expansions I think. WoW expansions are like $50 when released right? (/cough "WoD" /cough)

Are WOW expansions worth $50? That's the real question, I personally couldn't say, I don't follow WOW nor read up on it's additions. I can't see a more reasonable thing to bitch about when it comes to games, because prices do have an actual impact on what becomes the norm. As it shows what people will pay... IF people are willing to pay more than the actual value of the product with no questions or concern, that's not a good precedent. It just isn't.

Was there a bitch session over WoW's expansions that are usually $50? That's what I'm talking about.

Hellfire Penninsula is a single zone of one of wows expats and is way bigger than this.  Same could be said of any of wows expats starting zones.  You don't want to go there in your comparisons, you will get thoroughly embarrassed.

One of huh? Yeah...I would be embarrassed arguing with anyone over WoW's expansions in comparison. Since there's no argument to be had...they cost the same and offered around the same content....on average.

Same content on average? LOL!

This is the current patch, only one zone released. Take a look: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19806402/fury-of-hellfire-62-patch-notes-6-22-2015

This is GW2 "expansion": https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Gotta love people now comparing WoW content patch size with GW2 expansion size for the sake of trolling HoT.

Not only WoW has the same price range on expansions, they charge a flipping subscription just to play. For the money they charge they sure as hell better offer more content even on content patches than everyone else who dont have a mandatory subscription.

But no, people who dont even play GW2 and wont play HoT need reasons to troll, lets bring up comparisons that make absolutely no sense so the flame burns a bit longer.

LOL seriously.

Originally posted by Arthasm
    Originally posted by Thupli

I think $50 for a normal expansion is high. This is not normal to me cause it's 3 years or so out...but still I think it's too high of a price. I won't be getting it either way.

I DO however think the people bitching are being silly. Bitching about stupid shite. What's the price of the latest WoW expansion? HoT has the same (just about right?) as most WoW expansions I think. WoW expansions are like $50 when released right? (/cough "WoD" /cough)

Are WOW expansions worth $50? That's the real question, I personally couldn't say, I don't follow WOW nor read up on it's additions. I can't see a more reasonable thing to bitch about when it comes to games, because prices do have an actual impact on what becomes the norm. As it shows what people will pay... IF people are willing to pay more than the actual value of the product with no questions or concern, that's not a good precedent. It just isn't.

Was there a bitch session over WoW's expansions that are usually $50? That's what I'm talking about.

Hellfire Penninsula is a single zone of one of wows expats and is way bigger than this.  Same could be said of any of wows expats starting zones.  You don't want to go there in your comparisons, you will get thoroughly embarrassed.

One of huh? Yeah...I would be embarrassed arguing with anyone over WoW's expansions in comparison. Since there's no argument to be had...they cost the same and offered around the same content....on average.

Same content on average? LOL!

This is the current patch, only one zone released. Take a look: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19806402/fury-of-hellfire-62-patch-notes-6-22-2015

This is GW2 "expansion": https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns

I assume you read the links too...but

"

• New region with a high amount of verticality built into the maps
    • Multiple open world jungle maps[3] made up of three distinct "biomes"
      • The core, the floor of the jungle itself
      • The roots of the jungle, that run deep beneath the jungle
      • The canopy, way up above, where the Pact fleet is scattered across the top of the jungle"
    Not "zone", but zones in an area....

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Gotta love people now comparing WoW content patch size with GW2 expansion size for the sake of trolling HoT.

Not only WoW has the same price range on expansions, they charge a flipping subscription just to play. For the money they charge they sure as hell better offer more content even on content patches than everyone else who dont have a mandatory subscription.

But no, people who dont even play GW2 and wont play HoT need reasons to troll, lets bring up comparisons that make absolutely no sense so the flame burns a bit longer.

LOL seriously.

Kinda what I was saying...not sure if you are arguing with me or against me....since no quotes and this IS MMORPG.com....

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

LOL seriously.

Going on your own reasoning earlier, sounds like you just want WOW to be free...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    They should just double the price, which would still be a steal, to ward off the cheapskates. 
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    They should just double the price, which would still be a steal, to ward off the cheapskates. 

You're saying it's worth more than the price of two full games?

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423

What I'm saying is people need to be supportive of things they enjoy and would like to see continue into the future. It's called life and paying 50 bucks after three years of free content updates is not much in the big scheme of things. All of this over a lousy 50 dollars? I mean if you have to worry about half a c-note every few years then maybe gaming is something that needs less of your time, perhaps some job training or education is in order. 

What I'm saying is people need to be supportive of things they enjoy and would like to see continue into the future. It's called life and paying 50 bucks after three years of free content updates is not much in the big scheme of things. All of this over a lousy 50 dollars? I mean if you have to worry about half a c-note every few years then maybe gaming is something that needs less of your time, perhaps some job training or education is in order. 

Back to the original and TRUE argument. I agree....stop bitching and pay or don't. They will take a hit or will make the cash they need to go on.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I was supportive by spending more than just the cost of the game over three years.

It is revealing to see that there are people out there like yourself that paid nothing more than the base cost over three years. You are willing to pay more for less because you are feeling guilty for not supporting it during that three years.

Now I'm understanding where these posts are coming from.

it's kinda ironic to see this coming up in defense of Gw2 , the game that made many believe they shouldn't need to pay for their on-going entertainment. Yet i digress... The money isn't the important part, being able to drop a c-note shouldn't supersede the desire for products to offer their worth in dollars. Perhaps some study on what happens to the quality of the product when folks don't care about getting their monies worth, blindly paying anything....is in order...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

it's kinda ironic to see this coming up in defense of Gw2 , the game that made many believe they shouldn't need to pay for their on-going entertainment. Yet i digress... The money isn't the important part, being able to drop a c-note shouldn't supersede the desire for products to offer their worth in dollars. Perhaps some study on what happens to the quality of the product when folks don't care about getting their monies worth, blindly paying anything....is in order...

I don't see how not wishing to keep paying for access to a product already paid for is the same as having problems to pay for new content.

The problem is that some people insist in believing that the PvE zone shown in the demo is the only zone GW2:HoT will have when it was mentioned multiple times it is only the first PvE map you will encounter.

Maybe a parallel study should be made on why people insist talking non sense about games they don't like and don't follow and how that affects their cognitive centers in a way that Multiple open world jungle maps made up of three distinct "biomes" becomes A Single New PvE Map. 

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by Betakodo

So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

You do realize that the normal GW2 price before the pre-orders was 50$, right? As in, they are actually making less potential money. They could have just as easily not offered the base game for free with the expansion and charged everyone 100$. Look at it that way, and not the entitled "i have been playing for  3 years and deserve a cheaper expansion!" way, and it makes a little more sense. The entitlement already won everyone a character slot, quit yer yappin. 

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I don't see how not wishing to keep paying for access to a product already paid for is the same as having problems to pay for new content.

The problem is that some people insist in believing that the PvE zone shown in the demo is the only zone GW2:HoT will have when it was mentioned multiple times it is only the first PvE map you will encounter.

Maybe a parallel study should be made on why people insist talking non sense about games they don't like and don't follow and how that affects their cognitive centers in a way that Multiple open world jungle maps made up of three distinct "biomes" becomes A Single New PvE Map. 

IF that didn't include content as well as real support, you might have a point, but it usually does... as I said on-going...free content has also been used as a justification for a 50 dollar entry point, by the same poster I was replying to, he's trying to make this about money and being cheap. He can't have it both ways...while we're at it... that's another case study, jumping into arguments and missing the context...

Anyway, as I've said all along I'll view the value of the expansion when that time comes, reviews and the like should give an accurate picture of what to expect. The only thing I take issue with is people acting as though value has no place or meaning in these discussions.

They said threw biomes in one map that is vertical. Canopy, trunk, roots.

One vertical map. Sounds like you might be in for a rude awakening, but like Distopua said, I will wait to see. I'd like to be proven wrong, but anet said they already revealed all the major features.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

if you dont think 50$ is a bargain for 4 years of entertainment, i suggest you try out the other mmos on the market

see how far those 50 bucks will get you in those games

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

it's kinda ironic to see this coming up in defense of Gw2 , the game that made many believe they shouldn't need to pay for their on-going entertainment.

I don't see how it is ironic. GW2 proved to the world a AAA Western mmo could be successful with a b2p business model, which of course includes paid expansions. I am actually quite surprised that they throw in a free copy of the original game for people that don't have it with the expansion.

It just reinforces for me that WoW and the like that charge subs plus make you pay for any substantial content (and require you to buy all the previous expansions on top, lol) are huge scams. GW2 devs/business management f2w, you guys rock.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Isn't that the problem though?  People are blindly pre-purchasing without any info on the upcoming maps.  For all we know, they could be talking about implementing these other maps, post-launch (which could be months for another content update).  We just don't know.

Anet's secrecy isn't helping matters either.  Colin has already said that everything (referring to features i think) has been revealed (i can't find the quote anymore), whether or not that includes maps too, we still don't know.  If they were perhaps more transparent, and showed some clarity, then maybe their players wouldn't be so distrustful of them.

p.s.  And yes, i played the beta, and people claimed Verdant Brink still has 2 more layers to it, but i believe that was the full map, but i could also be wrong.

Originally posted by YashaX

it's kinda ironic to see this coming up in defense of Gw2 , the game that made many believe they shouldn't need to pay for their on-going entertainment.

I don't see how it is ironic. GW2 proved to the world a AAA Western mmo could be successful with a b2p business model, which of course includes paid expansions. I am actually quite surprised that they throw in a free copy of the original game for people that don't have it with the expansion.

It just reinforces for me that WoW and the like that charge subs plus make you pay for any substantial content (and require you to buy all the previous expansions on top, lol) are huge scams. GW2 devs/business management f2w, you guys rock.

The irony is mostly from a personal level (due to conversations about the B2p model). I never minded paying a sub, in fact I still do when given the option like with SWTOR. Then again I don't pay it when it doesn't offer much value..ESO right now.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

To people that really are fans of the game it is worth it. For those who just want to say "hey, I play GW2 once in a while", it's not worth it.

For months folks have complained that there was no expansion and were willing to pay good money for one, now there will be and the "once in a while" players are complaining about $50. Those that love the game will easily give the money for it...it's very, very, cheap entertainment and will no doubt give hundreds of hours of game content.

I know it's been said over and over, but if folks don't want to pay $50 just don't, wait a few months and the price will come down. It seems like if you don't really care much about it and would rather complain then the wait won't be that unbearable. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

Just hold off for a while. It'll reduce in price, or a sale will crop up somewhere.

As for the "we don't know much info" - just adds weight to holding off.

Would you really purchase any product without knowing what was in the box?

Well the answer here of course is yes, people will - then flood the forums when their often completely unrealistic and self dreamed up ideas aren't included.

Prepare for "Heart of Thought It Was Going To Include xxxxx" ............................. demands refund

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    people shouldn't be so quick to try to force other to pay the price no matter what... and if they really like it they should probably not try to talk them out of buying it either. imagine if the majority of the playerbase thought that the price was to high for a second. you think that GW" would still make a profit just because you decided to buy it at asking price?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Originally posted by Amjoco

To people that really are fans of the game it is worth it. For those who just want to say "hey, I play GW2 once in a while", it's not worth it.

For months folks have complained that there was no expansion and were willing to pay good money for one, now there will be and the "once in a while" players are complaining about $50. Those that love the game will easily give the money for it...it's very, very, cheap entertainment and will no doubt give hundreds of hours of game content.

I know it's been said over and over, but if folks don't want to pay $50 just don't, wait a few months and the price will come down. It seems like if you don't really care much about it and would rather complain then the wait won't be that unbearable. 

Has anyone really concluded $50 is too much? maybe they have I just haven't seen it, which means it can't be that widespread. You're making it sound like the extreme is the norm, it really isn't. Not that this isn't common around here acting as though the extremes are the only two views represented.

What complaint have I offered? None that I can see, as I said before my only concern is acting as though value has no meaning.