Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My BDO Experience [Korea]

Comments

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    How stable is the game?  My one big grievance with games coming out of Korea and China these days that are MMOs has been the abysmal quality of coding practice done, resulting in games that might be good gameplay wise, but suffer from bugs and other issues constantly.  Some examples include not being able to get into the game because the launcher crashes, convoluted cash shop access, bugs with talking to NPCs, and server code related syncing issues.
  • ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by ikcin
    Originally posted by ankhfnkhonsu
    Oh really? It is obvious from financial reports of Daum? Have you even looked at them? Or are you just spewing bullsh** like you have done all along.

Well sir, let me just help you out

There is the financial report for Daum from Q1 2015 which also includes charts showing revenue growth as compared to 2014. I'd like you to pay attention to some very key pieces of information:

1. Online (PC) gaming which made up ~11%-12% of gross revenue consistently from Q1 - Q4 2014, in Q1 2015 online (PC) gaming made up ~16% of gross revenue. Now this may not seem like a lot, until you factor in that Daum is the google of Korea. Daum is a gigantic company that pulls in hundreds of millions of dollars per quater.
    2. Daum Games has only seen revenue growth since BDO launched.
    3. A direct quote from their financial report "- Online Game: • Black Desert launched in December 2014 attributed to revenue growth"
    No, I don't think it's a flaw in your English.. I think you're an idiot. Period.
    It is obvious you have no idea how to read such a report :) The revenue from the game in Q1 is about USD 3.4M. It is very small, in fact probably they lose money, but that is only suggestion.  This is a revenue, it is not a profit. They do not give consolidated results for the expenses, and net earnings. Most companies do not because of tax evasion. Anyway if the game had good results for Q1 you would see that in the nonanalytical part of the report. Instead you quote all the vaunt. I work with financial reports of companies every day. While you play games and then write nonsenses about things you have no idea about. Insults will not help you. Sorry.

No sir, while you are working with financial reports of companies every day and I am working in the games industry and have been for many years. I think your poor English is definitely coming into play here. First of all, they attribute their own growth specifically to BDO. If you read any news articles (from Korea) about Daum, you will see that their OVERALL revenue is at -20% when compared to last year but that is attributed to poor mobile game sales. It is clear to me that you are clueless about publishers and game companies in general. Here, let me provide you with some resources.

http://www.alacrastore.com/thomson-streetevents-transcripts/Q1-2015-Daum-Kakao-Corp-Earnings-Call-English-Korean-T5692919

http://m.blog.daum.net/serapeum/7592944

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3004196

http://www.daumkakao.com/en/ir/earnings

http://www.mobileworldlive.com/daum-kakao-profit-falls-23-increase-ad-spend

"Q1 2015 net income of KRW30.85 billion ($28.3 million USD)"

"First quarter revenue was KRW234.39 billion ($212.5 million USD)"

Anyways, I'm done talking to you, you are just a waste of my time.

Originally posted by Colt47
    How stable is the game?  My one big grievance with games coming out of Korea and China these days that are MMOs has been the abysmal quality of coding practice done, resulting in games that might be good gameplay wise, but suffer from bugs and other issues constantly.  Some examples include not being able to get into the game because the launcher crashes, convoluted cash shop access, bugs with talking to NPCs, and server code related syncing issues.

I have experienced no bugs/lag issues. I have had some minor latency but I attribute that to the servers being in Korea.

Oh really? It is obvious from financial reports of Daum? Have you even looked at them? Or are you just spewing bullsh** like you have done all along.
    Well sir, let me just help you out There is the financial report for Daum from Q1 2015 which also includes charts showing revenue growth as compared to 2014. I'd like you to pay attention to some very key pieces of information: [*] Online (PC) gaming which made up ~11%-12% of gross revenue consistently from Q1 - Q4 2014, in Q1 2015 online (PC) gaming made up ~16% of gross revenue. Now this may not seem like a lot, until you factor in that Daum is the google of Korea. Daum is a gigantic company that pulls in hundreds of millions of dollars per quater. [*] Daum Games has only seen revenue growth since BDO launched. A direct quote from their financial report "- Online Game: • Black Desert launched in December 2014 attributed to revenue growth" No, I don't think it's a flaw in your English.. I think you're an idiot. Period.
    It is obvious you have no idea how to read such a report :) The revenue from the game in Q1 is about USD 3.4M. It is very small, in fact probably they lose money, but that is only suggestion.  This is a revenue, it is not a profit. They do not give consolidated results for the expenses, and net earnings. Most companies do not because of tax evasion. Anyway if the game had good results for Q1 you would see that in the nonanalytical part of the report. Instead you quote all the vaunt. I work with financial reports of companies every day. While you play games and then write nonsenses about things you have no idea about. Insults will not help you. Sorry.
    No sir, while you are working with financial reports of companies every day and I am working in the games industry and have been for many years. I think your poor English is definitely coming into play here. First of all, they attribute their own growth specifically to BDO. If you read any news articles (from Korea) about Daum, you will see that their OVERALL revenue is at -20% when compared to last year but that is attributed to poor mobile game sales. It is clear to me that you are clueless about publishers and game companies in general. Here, let me provide you with some resources. http://www.alacrastore.com/thomson-streetevents-transcripts/Q1-2015-Daum-Kakao-Corp-Earnings-Call-English-Korean-T5692919 http://m.blog.daum.net/serapeum/7592944 http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3004196 http://www.daumkakao.com/en/ir/earnings http://www.mobileworldlive.com/daum-kakao-profit-falls-23-increase-ad-spend "Q1 2015 net income of KRW30.85 billion ($28.3 million USD)" "First quarter revenue was KRW234.39 billion ($212.5 million USD)" Anyways, I'm done talking to you, you are just a waste of my time.
    First you shall use the rate from Q1, but not the current one to convert currencies. Second, all these links are pointless when you can see the results and the current report from Daum. Again, no matter of the links it seems you do not make a difference between profit and revenue. In fact the mobile sales are OK, and Daum do not sell devices. Now I doubt your English is good enough even to understand the information from the links above. Mobile games revenue increased 14.2%. I'm not sure what exactly is your position in the gaming industry, maybe a player :) But for sure you have no any clue about business and finances.

Originally posted by Colt47 How stable is the game? My one big grievance with games coming out of Korea and China these days that are MMOs has been the abysmal quality of coding practice done, resulting in games that might be good gameplay wise, but suffer from bugs and other issues constantly. Some examples include not being able to get into the game because the launcher crashes, convoluted cash shop access, bugs with talking to NPCs, and server code related syncing issues.
    I have experienced no bugs/lag issues. I have had some minor latency but I attribute that to the servers being in Korea.

Now, that is ridiculous. The servers are in Korea, and the game is new. Of course there are bugs, and often maintenances. They merge all the servers in one, so there is some technical issues. And of course if you live in EU/NA, there is enormous lag and high ping to Korea. But the game is easy so it is playable.

First and foremost, I was the CTO of a gaming company for quite a few years before I decided to move on to other endeavors. I have dealt with both the business and technical side of things. Spent much time in board meetings discussing the business side of things while also juggling technical issues that are so far over your head I doubt you would even begin to comprehend them.

Daum posted 40.3 billion won ($37 million USD) in operating profit on 3/14/15, a 38.3 percent decline compared with the previous quarter (Q4 2014). Market analysts had expectations of 52.3 billion won, but obviously they were off the mark by quite a bit. This, as I mentioned, was due to less-than-expected ad revenue and mobile game sales. At the beginning of Q1, Daum saw a sudden spike in additional revenue coming from Black Desert (in case you didn't know.. they released the cash shop and made $2 million USD in the first weekend) - now obviously the cash shop has slowed down to some extent, but they are still making plenty of money.

You have proven time and time again to have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. BDO has regular maintenance 2x per week. Additionally, I have 150-200 ping from NA. The game is more than playable it runs very smoothly. On occasion I will get 0.25s delay when executing skills but this is not frequent. "They merge all the servers in one, so there is some technical issues" really? you think they are merging the servers because they have technical issues? Do you know anything about running a server? Do you know anything about programming or networking? Do you know C++? No. You don't. Don't talk about things you don't know. They had always intended for BDO to be on a megaserver. You can find it in their original interviews from 2013-2014. They released additional servers for Open Beta to deal with the influx of millions of players.

"There is enormous lag and high ping to Korea" - well maybe on your walmart internet. But I get 150-200 ping, it is consistent, stable, however occasionally I will get 0.25s delay when executing a skill. Not really a huge deal although it can definitely impact your ability to perform perfectly in PvP.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

i too played black desert on korean servers..

I only play mmorpg because of the pvp.. and this game is lacking of it..

combat is a nice change tho... but the TTK is insanely high.. 

i enjoyed the game tho.. but dissapointed in the direction switch they made.. more pve orientated

First and foremost, I was the CTO of a gaming company for quite a few years before I decided to move on to other endeavors. I have dealt with both the business and technical side of things. Spent much time in board meetings discussing the business side of things while also juggling technical issues that are so far over your head I doubt you would even begin to comprehend them.

Daum posted 40.3 billion won ($37 million USD) in operating profit on 3/14/15, a 38.3 percent decline compared with the previous quarter (Q4 2014). Market analysts had expectations of 52.3 billion won, but obviously they were off the mark by quite a bit. This, as I mentioned, was due to less-than-expected ad revenue and mobile game sales. At the beginning of Q1, Daum saw a sudden spike in additional revenue coming from Black Desert (in case you didn't know.. they released the cash shop and made $2 million USD in the first weekend) - now obviously the cash shop has slowed down to some extent, but they are still making plenty of money.

You have proven time and time again to have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. BDO has regular maintenance 2x per week. Additionally, I have 150-200 ping from NA. The game is more than playable it runs very smoothly. On occasion I will get 0.25s delay when executing skills but this is not frequent. "They merge all the servers in one, so there is some technical issues" really? you think they are merging the servers because they have technical issues? Do you know anything about running a server? Do you know anything about programming or networking? Do you know C++? No. You don't. Don't talk about things you don't know. They had always intended for BDO to be on a megaserver. You can find it in their original interviews from 2013-2014. They released additional servers for Open Beta to deal with the influx of millions of players.

"There is enormous lag and high ping to Korea" - well maybe on your walmart internet. But I get 150-200 ping, it is consistent, stable, however occasionally I will get 0.25s delay when executing a skill. Not really a huge deal although it can definitely impact your ability to perform perfectly in PvP.

It becomes more and more ridiculous. They made USD 2M for the first week with cash shop, not weekend, and it was last year. Now what is the link among C++ and the financial results of BDO, maybe you are the only one who knows. Why do you keep quoting the overall financial results of Daum? We are talking about BDO. There is no sudden spike of anything. In fact they improve their mobile sales, much more than PC games sales, but have more expenses for advertisement so the profit falls. Learn to read financial reports if you want to use such as argument. As for your statement that you have been CTO - that is not CEO. And that about the ping, it is ridiculous. 150-200 ping means 0.15-0.20 seconds delay, so 0.25s is 250 ping, and how the hell you measured 0.25s delay in skills? After all that I doubt you even played the game.

Since you either aren't reading or can't understand my posts, I have color highlighted each comment and corresponding information in your post and my previous post to make it much easier on you.

Please read my post. I was clearly talking about your "opinion" of all BDO's "technical issues" which has no basis in fact.

Please, show me where the advertisement expenses differ between Q1 2015 and Q4 2014. If you're going to make claims like this at least have a reference.. have you ever heard of using references? Thanks.

Have you ever heard of an estimate? Of course I don't know the exact amount of time my skills were delayed. Are you dense or what?

Do you know how a publicly traded corporation runs? Because honestly it seems like you don't.. and for someone who spends a lot of time going over financial reports with companies.. you should probably learn a little bit about it.

Lol ok buddy, you got me, I definitely haven't played BDO, I definitely haven't spent many hours over the last 6 months farming +17 gear. I definitely don't have a handful of level 50-56 characters. I definitely am not in one of the top guilds on my server and definitely have never done any PvP.

I feel like I am talking to a kid sitting in their parents' basement. So this time, I really am done with you.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Thank you for your perspective OP. I feel like an American developer will take Black Desert and completely ruin it just like Trion did/does with Archeage. I hope not, but the betting man knows better.

Beyond this, my concern with BDO was class variation.  Can people using the same class differenciate themselves from the next player? How deep does this customiztion go if any?

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Thank you for your perspective OP. I feel like an American developer will take Black Desert and completely ruin it just like Trion did/does with Archeage. I hope not, but the betting man knows better.

Beyond this, my concern with BDO was class variation.  Can people using the same class differenciate themselves from the next player? How deep does this customiztion go if any?

Daum will be publishing BDO in NA (they are all the Korean publisher), just hope they keep the NA/EU market in mind when making major decisions regarding the cash shop, PvE grind, and PvP.

Although there is some variation amongst players using the same class, many classes are locked into one "best" way to function while other variations are left behind. The biggest variation comes down to the balance between damage and defense, however, some classes can choose to take different skills to adjust their play style.

For example, while the blader (samurai) class is very much geared towards using a sword, they also have access to bow skills which would allow them to play the class as more of a ranged CC/DPS and less of a melee class. Is this optimal? No, but the option is there.

Another example, tamer (beast master) really has 3 options - they can play with the intention to ride their pet (when riding you get new skills), play with the pet summoned but not riding it, or use the pet as a buff bot (you can de-summon your pet for a buff). Now, the strongest of these 3 is to not be riding your pet and play with it summoned, however, the options do exist.

My hope is that in the future these different play styles will be extended and make more sense to use. Currently, there is a clearly defined path that each class should take.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

This breaks my heart.   Another really promising PVE game world I would love to play in and its PVP focused only.   

When will PVE lovers get a game that looks just like this one and has strong PVE focus in it.   FFXIV was good but I want a game like this for my PVE world.

I think this games downfall will be the Easy bosses just like in archeage giving it weak PVE focus.

I think the second biggest downfall is allowing Greens on Greens warfare like Archeage,  it always leads to one Green guild teaming up with Reds against the more powerful Green guild,  wrecking gameplay for everyone.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by fistorm

This breaks my heart.   Another really promising PVE game world I would love to play in and its PVP focused only.   

When will PVE lovers get a game that looks just like this one and has strong PVE focus in it.   FFXIV was good but I want a game like this for my PVE world.

I think this games downfall will be the Easy bosses just like in archeage giving it weak PVE focus.

I think the second biggest downfall is allowing Greens on Greens warfare like Archeage,  it always leads to one Green guild teaming up with Reds against the more powerful Green guild,  wrecking gameplay for everyone.

my mistake, this is "Black Desert" and not "Blade and Soul" which I was referencing. Apologies Fistorm.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Sovrath

blah blah blah

You don't have to participate in pvp if you don't want it. It's not forced on you.

The OP said

"Claim #3: Black Desert has no open world PvP.

This is false. At level 50 you can literally kill anyone you want to kill who is above level 50"

So I'm guessing there will be guilds out there like in EVE or Archeage (mainly Archeage)  Who wont care about penalties of courts and karma and grief you nonstop cause they can.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

blah blah blah

You don't have to participate in pvp if you don't want it. It's not forced on you.

The OP said

This is false. At level 50 you can literally kill anyone you want to kill who is above level 50"

So I'm guessing there will be guilds out there like in EVE or Archeage (mainly Archeage)  Who wont care about penalties of courts and karma and grief you nonstop cause they can.

oops my bad LOL!

I was just reading a few Blade and Soul articles and immediately thought this was in the blade and soul forum.

hazards of multi-tasking.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

blah blah blah

The OP said

I doubt this will happen, it definitely doesn't happen in Korea. If you PK more than 1 person without recovering karma your gear can start dropping or lose enchantments. I highly doubt there will be any PK guilds, if there are they will lose all their stuff very very quickly and be completely worthless.

While PKing does happen, it is not something that is frequent, it is reserved for time when you have been wronged by someone else (i.e. they have stolen some mobs from you, talked trash to you, etc.)

However, a guild can declare war on another guild and kill anyone in that guild at any time (outside of cities) and not lose any Karma.

tl;dr - PKing isn't a big issue, if you don't want to die in guild wars don't join a guild.

P.S. There are no factions in BDO, it is you or your guild against the world :)

• MakNevMakNev Member UncommonPosts: 26
  • deleriuzwundeleriuzwun Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Sounds a lot like Archage I think I'll skip it.,
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by deleriuzwun
    Sounds a lot like Archage I think I'll skip it.,

In what way do you mean?

My experience playing so far (2 months) is that it is a vastly deeper and more interesting game than Archeage.  

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by MakNev

funny video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzTSykHSfM

Do the words like cruel and unusual punishment mean nothing to you? lol

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MakNevMakNev Member UncommonPosts: 26
    dancing monster ;)
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I just played up to level 20 on the Japenese version. I am very disappointed to say that nothing draws me to this game so far. It made me appreciate Archeage's take on sandbox much much more. Maybe at 50 is when the sandbox begins, but so far it has just been mob after mob grind. Advancing your class makes little difference to the combat. The action combat is fun but gets very repetitive on the same class.

I am already bored.

Granted the game is beautiful, and attention to detail on certain aspects is very very high. I just wish it grabbed me more. I have no urge to get to 50.

And forget crafting, I have no inventory space for it at all.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    Originally posted by JDis25

I just played up to level 20 on the Japenese version. I am very disappointed to say that nothing draws me to this game so far. It made me appreciate Archeage's take on sandbox much much more. Maybe at 50 is when the sandbox begins, but so far it has just been mob after mob grind. Advancing your class makes little difference to the combat. The action combat is fun but gets very repetitive on the same class.

I am already bored.

Granted the game is beautiful, and attention to detail on certain aspects is very very high. I just wish it grabbed me more. I have no urge to get to 50.

Level 20 takes like 1 hour to get, I'm not sure how you can judge a game in such a short period of time. Anyways, inventory slots are unlocked through quests along with contribution points, you can upgrade your warehouse by purchasing housing in any city and then purposing it for additional warehouse slots. If you are bored with killing mobs, you should try some of the other features that BDO offers - fishing, hunting, gathering, whaling (you'll need to join in with others), taming & breeding horses, trading, etc. etc.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I am already bored.

Level 20 takes like 1 hour to get, I'm not sure how you can judge a game in such a short period of time. Anyways, inventory slots are unlocked through quests along with contribution points, you can upgrade your warehouse by purchasing housing in any city and then purposing it for additional warehouse slots. If you are bored with killing mobs, you should try some of the other features that BDO offers - fishing, hunting, gathering, whaling (you'll need to join in with others), taming & breeding horses, trading, etc. etc.

Wait...if level 20 takes 1 hour to get, how long does it take to get to 50 where you were able to solo all the bosses?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

I am already bored.

Wait...if level 20 takes 1 hour to get, how long does it take to get to 50 where you were able to solo all the bosses?

If you simply grind mobs to level, it takes ~20 hours to hit level 50, 1-20 is extremely fast and then it starts to slow down dramatically. However, you definitely can't solo bosses right when you hit 50 because you will have terrible gear. People claim the bosses are easy because they have well outleveled and outgeared them, however, a fresh 50 trying to solo bosses is going to die a lot. With the release of Valencia, even at level 55 with +16-+17 gear, the more difficult mobs can kill me in 3-4 hits (requires proper CC management to handle large groups, and even then it's risky). 

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Besides the challenge level being easy you missed one big thing.. where's all the content?

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Let me just put it simple so everyone understands.

This is a PVP game, you do PVE go play wow or somthing.

This game has no dungeons. no raids. plays like wow in the first 10 minutes, but in this game it takes you up to lev50 to PVP.

ALL mobs are easy. boring mind numbingly easy. no matter what mob u hit. if its around your level it goes down in seconds.

All this game is is "walk to ?" "kill 10" "walk to ?" kill 50" "walk to ?" "kill 100" "walk to ?"

Until u hit 50 to start pvp. since it has nothing else. there is no PVE endgame. none nothing nada.

Did i mention you need to get to 50 so you can PVP ?

Oh and it has no raids or dungeons.

But it does have PVP (you can kill peeps)

Ah and its the best looking MMO i have ever seen. eveything looks alive, like youre realy in somthing.

And it has PVP.

So that would make it clear what this game is.

(kinda like archeage without the all boring PVE stuff, and lots more PVP stuff,and better looking)

I R just traing on a kr server to pvp and chop DMKano's head off when it gets released in NA (since it has PVP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMQIiKukiE

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by ChaoticWake
    Besides the challenge level being easy you missed one big thing.. where's all the content?

There is plenty of content if you look for it, it's not your themepark game where everything is handed to you. You need to go out and look for it.

As for the challenge lvl being easy, I just have to laugh at that. To say things like that for you just shows how little you know about the game as it stands. The same can be said of desiring an even slower leveling curve.

As it stands there is a VERY SMALL amount of people who've reached even up to level 58 at this time.... something like 3~4, and still only in the teens have reached lvl 57? Knowing that the game has skills on certain classes pushing up to level 99 (ranger). Asking for a harsher curve is asking for content that .001% of the base would ever reach. There is no reason for them to do that honestly.

It takes a couple days to get to level 50, then you will be spending the next 6 months to a year getting to 60, heck we don't even know what to expect with future updates to this hellish grind.