Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    I honestly dont think ppl have a right to complain about the price now that you get an extra character slot if you've had the game before this year. character slots are like 10$ anyway aren't they? Anyway, I dont think they will (nor should they) revamp the pricing models/including things again, so really it comes down to you either want it or not.

sure they do..  expansions are supposed to wow the players.. get them really excited about it and not even care what it costs

it seems to be failing at that atm. people are looking at it and thinking "is that it?" well atleast i am. look at FFXIV's new expansion. you dont see that being met with the same reaction. i dont even play the game but if i did i probably wouldn't  hesitate to give them 50 bucks for their xpac.

Well you would also have to not hesitate to pay them $15 a month to be able to play the expac that you would buy for $50.

I find it interesting that most of the expacs that HoT is being compared to are for games that also charge subs. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I don't think people understand how B2P works.  They charge you full price for new content.  That's how they make their money.  I've seen many MMOs offer the base game and older expansions either for free or heavily discounted to new players/accounts.  Its a way to get new players in the game.  New players are essential to keeping MMO's afloat.  Rift, while being f2p not b2p, includes their 1st expansion, Storm Legion, for free now.  As someone who purchased it way back when, I don't have a problem with this and I doubt many Rift vets do, either.

With B2P, either accept large content updates will cost you full price, at least at first, as a current player and buy it or wait for it to go on sale or don't accept it and don't buy it.  Simple.  Whether or not theres enough content to justify the price is up to each person.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Originally posted by Betakodo
    So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

People need to get it through their heads that they aren't adding to the price of the expansion with the addition of the base game. They are giving people who buy the expansion a FREE copy of Guild Wars 2 vanilla with the expansion IF you don't have an existing Guild Wars 2 account.

Let me break it down for you so it's easier for you to digest:

1) If you DON'T own a copy of Guild Wars 2, you get a FREE copy with HotT.
    2) If you DO own a copy Guild Wars 2, you get a FREE character slot.
    2a) If you got your copy of Guild Wars 2 in (roughly) 2015, you are entitled to a full refund.

That's it.

[mod edit]

Totally agree, I can't understand the rage. This is an awesome deal for an mmo, or really any game for that matter.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    I honestly dont think ppl have a right to complain about the price now that you get an extra character slot if you've had the game before this year. character slots are like 10$ anyway aren't they? Anyway, I dont think they will (nor should they) revamp the pricing models/including things again, so really it comes down to you either want it or not.

sure they do..  expansions are supposed to wow the players.. get them really excited about it and not even care what it costs

it seems to be failing at that atm. people are looking at it and thinking "is that it?" well atleast i am. look at FFXIV's new expansion. you dont see that being met with the same reaction. i dont even play the game but if i did i probably wouldn't  hesitate to give them 50 bucks for their xpac.

Well you would also have to not hesitate to pay them $15 a month to be able to play the expac that you would buy for $50.

I find it interesting that most of the expacs that HoT is being compared to are for games that also charge subs. 

i haven't played alot of f2p or b2p games and their expansions so i compare to things i know and things i read about.

offer me something awesome and i'm less likely to question  the price. this just looks bland compared to other expansions i've bought and played. and it looks pretty light on the content side compared to those.

a sub is irrelevant if i like what i'm playing besides just because GW2 dont have subs dont mean they dont make money.

honestly they can put whatever price they want on it(which they have) that dont mean i have to agree on said price.

i'm not looking for freebies like some here will have you believe. i just cant justify spending 50 bucks on what they're offering so far.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Moirae

You pay for the game once. And still you complain. Why did you think they would have expansions when they only have the original purchase price of the game? Seriously. This is what you get when you have no new money flowing in to pay developers to build new games. Even so called f2p games have money coming in via the cash shops. It makes sense. 

I suggest you do some careful thinking about the nature of wanting things on the cheap and the results of that thought pattern. You get what you pay for. 

Are you suggesting that since an expansion costs $50, it will be worth $50? I don't think it works that way...I get it, people like to take these opportunities to take pot shots at folks, lay some kind of blame, etc... That's part of the internet.

What I don't get is this line of thinking, I've seen a lot of it in these HOT discussions. Like the substance of said expansion is unimportant, even worse..thought on the matter is being discouraged. That's strange if you ask me. Are you guys salesmen or consumers?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Not worth discussing this beaten topic anymore.

Notice the pattern of all complaints... People just dont want to pay for things. Go play a lower quality F2P mmo if it bothers you so much.

/sigh

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Here's what I hear when people complain about this:

"I don't wanna pay for anything.. I don't get enough allowance"

"I don't care that they give us content updates free, I want this to be discounted"

"I ONLY get a character free.  I want the game"

"I'd rather play F2P garbage than anything of quality"

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Notice the pattern of all complaints... People just dont want to pay for things. Go play a lower quality F2P mmo if it bothers you so much.

/sigh

This might be a good reason these topics keep going, everything said is misconstrued into the BS above...

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Moirae

You pay for the game once. And still you complain. Why did you think they would have expansions when they only have the original purchase price of the game? Seriously. This is what you get when you have no new money flowing in to pay developers to build new games. Even so called f2p games have money coming in via the cash shops. It makes sense. 

I suggest you do some careful thinking about the nature of wanting things on the cheap and the results of that thought pattern. You get what you pay for. 

Are you suggesting that since an expansion costs $50, it will be worth $50? I don't think it works that way...I get it, people like to take these opportunities to take pot shots at folks, lay some kind of blame, etc... That's part of the internet.

What I don't get is this line of thinking, I've seen a lot of it in these HOT discussions. Like the substance of said expansion is unimportant, even worse..thought on the matter is being discouraged. That's strange if you ask me. Are you guys salesmen or consumers?

I think $50 for a normal expansion is high. This is not normal to me cause it's 3 years or so out...but still I think it's too high of a price. I won't be getting it either way.

I DO however think the people bitching are being silly. Bitching about stupid shite. What's the price of the latest WoW expansion? HoT has the same (just about right?) as most WoW expansions I think. WoW expansions are like $50 when released right? (/cough "WoD" /cough)

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

/sigh

Really ....never seen a single poster say they wanted it for free.

Just wanting good value seems to be the vast majority of people's posts. On the other side it seems to be telling people to go play something else.P

To me it seems one side seems to be afraid of a little conversation, and discussion....

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

I think $50 for a normal expansion is high. This is not normal to me cause it's 3 years or so out...but still I think it's too high of a price. I won't be getting it either way.

I DO however think the people bitching are being silly. Bitching about stupid shite. What's the price of the latest WoW expansion? HoT has the same (just about right?) as most WoW expansions I think. WoW expansions are like $50 when released right? (/cough "WoD" /cough)

Are WOW expansions worth $50? That's the real question, I personally couldn't say, I don't follow WOW nor read up on it's additions. I can't see a more reasonable thing to bitch about when it comes to games, because prices do have an actual impact on what becomes the norm. As it shows what people will pay... IF people are willing to pay more than the actual value of the product with no questions or concern, that's not a good precedent. It just isn't.

Are WOW expansions worth $50? That's the real question, I personally couldn't say, I don't follow WOW nor read up on it's additions. I can't see a more reasonable thing to bitch about when it comes to games, because prices do have an actual impact on what becomes the norm. As it shows what people will pay... IF people are willing to pay more than the actual value of the product with no questions or concern, that's not a good precedent. It just isn't.

Was there a bitch session over WoW's expansions that are usually $50? That's what I'm talking about.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I follow the argument that hot is not worth 50 for what it has.

I don't follow the "expac only". It makes sense to bundle them all from here on out for the same price to help people catch up.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

/sigh

Totally agree. Every discussion on this subject turns into a broken record being played in Groundhog Day. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Was there a bitch session over WoW's expansions that are usually $50? That's what I'm talking about.

I don't know.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Hellfire Penninsula is a single zone of one of wows expats and is way bigger than this.  Same could be said of any of wows expats starting zones.  You don't want to go there in your comparisons, you will get thoroughly embarrassed.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I feel bad for arena net - it's a B2P game and people are whining about spending $50 for a rare expansion.
    Originally posted by Amjoco

/sigh

Totally agree. Every discussion on this subject turns into a broken record being played in Groundhog Day. 

For sure, same weak counter argument, same generalizations, and of course the fallacy that people just want free stuff...

Hating on WoW went out of fashion when GW2 released.  Get with the times man.

No one is hating on WoW. Go back to sleep now

Originally posted by Thupli

Hellfire Penninsula is a single zone of one of wows expats and is way bigger than this.  Same could be said of any of wows expats starting zones.  You don't want to go there in your comparisons, you will get thoroughly embarrassed.

One of huh? Yeah...I would be embarrassed arguing with anyone over WoW's expansions in comparison. Since there's no argument to be had...they cost the same and offered around the same content....on average.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

/sigh

It's obviously worth discussing, when you, and others, keep replying to others who disagree about the price of a product.  Do you tell others to go shop at walmart instead, when they feel the quality of a product at another store, isn't up to their standards or value?  Perhaps they will, or not.  Why would you and others care so much?   It's actually quite strange, unless you are invested emotionally to a company and their product.

GW2 fans are known for this though.  They become rabid and hateful when anyone criticizes their game.  I never got this from Archeage fans when i disagreed with the subscription plans they offered, or when criticizing WoD's feature list because it was a sparser expansion than it's predecessors.

talking about.

I think he was trying to say it's now the cool thing to hate on GW2...