Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Character slot for pre-owning sounds about right to me.

Think about all the $15/mo games that would charge $50 for the base game and $50 per expansion, not including the original game for several years.

This isn't a bad deal at all. People are just getting more and more greedy.
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by Betakodo
    So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

People need to get it through their heads that they aren't adding to the price of the expansion with the addition of the base game. They are giving people who buy the expansion a FREE copy of Guild Wars 2 vanilla with the expansion IF you don't have an existing Guild Wars 2 account.

Let me break it down for you so it's easier for you to digest:

1) If you DON'T own a copy of Guild Wars 2, you get a FREE copy with HotT.
    2) If you DO own a copy Guild Wars 2, you get a FREE character slot.
    2a) If you got your copy of Guild Wars 2 in (roughly) 2015, you are entitled to a full refund.

That's it.

[mod edit]

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Some people won't be satisfied until they get the x-pac for 25 bucks.  I think ncsoft has been plenty generous with the concessions they have made, which they didn't have to make any of.

To those that say they just wouldn't buy the game then.  NCsoft wouldn't care, there will be a mil + that will, even without your purchase.  They can do without the hassle you guys are giving them.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by eyelolled

So *snip*  anyways.

In response to the title -  GOOD!

as for the body of the post : tldr

Are you on your period?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    They've been selling GW2 on special for the past few months at $5 for the box.   The new expansion is $50.00's.  The expansion minus the special rate is $45.00's.  Arenanet added a character slot worth 800 gems which is $10.00's to the price.  You now owe Arenanet $55.00's.   Are you happy?

• RamlachRamlach Member UncommonPosts: 39

Just wondering where you are getting this from? 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I have no sympathy for people complaining after this correction.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

i doubt they're looking for sympathy..

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Some people are never happy. Welcome to mmorpg.com.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    They never will offer an expansion only copy according to them. Not on this expansion, or any of the future ones. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    With that offer Im going to wait for a sale. My guess in 3-4 months it will be $9.99-29.99 somewhere. I personally dont think there is a problem with people putting a price to what they are willing to pay but so does the company making the game. I will lets the hardcore fans pay my bill as I have given ANet more then enough of my money =-) Just to much to ask for with so few details IMO. 
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152

We are buying a xpack not a new game. Charging of 50+ for a xpack is ridiculous amount of money especially for what they been advertising for. Its a new map, big deal. Is a map worth 50 dollars? Not to me. Personally I could careless for a character slot. Other mmo I played in the past (lotro) had some expensive xpacks but it was way worth it it. Huge maps, mounts, epic story, etc. As far as this one goes though, not really offering much for it to be sold at 50.

Some of these post make me chuckle in how their logic works. Because someone doesnt like the price they are instantly called greedy because they want more or just want the expansion. Really not worth fighting over, if you dont like the price dont buy it. Thats the boat im getting on heh.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Interesting pricing model they're going for, but I doubt it'll entice many former players to return to the game. Not yet anyway, possibly way down the road when they've released their second expansion. As apparently, any future expansions will also include all prior expansions.

So I'll be waiting for a future sale or maybe the second expansion before I give this game another go. I'm in no hurry to essentially pay a higher box price for a character slot I may never use. They're very much going against the grain here, I wonder if it'll pay off.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    They could offer it for free and some would still complain.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

At this point, given what they've done to correct what was (IMO) a stupid mistake, complaining has definitely crossed over into whining and entitlement. You guys had a legitimate reason to be angry before, but now you're just coming off like a bunch of entitled millennials who think the world owes them something simply because they exist. 

At this point I'd cheer if Arenanet made a blog post telling you people to go stuff yourselves. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by etharn

We are buying a xpack not a new game. Charging of 50+ for a xpack is ridiculous amount of money especially for what they been advertising for. Its a new map, big deal. Is a map worth 50 dollars? Not to me. Personally I could careless for a character slot. Other mmo I played in the past (lotro) had some expensive xpacks but it was way worth it it. Huge maps, mounts, epic story, etc. As far as this one goes though, not really offering much for it to be sold at 50.

Some of these post make me chuckle in how their logic works. Because someone doesnt like the price they are instantly called greedy because they want more or just want the expansion. Really not worth fighting over, if you dont like the price dont buy it. Thats the boat im getting on heh.

A new map and that is it? Several maps become 1?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Yes, from what is said by anet it is 3 zones. Supposedly they said it should contain more content than a normal zone because of height. From what we could see there are 3 height levels so let's assume 3 zones x 3 height levels = roughly 9 zones.

Still very little imo for 50 bucks.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by vgamer

Yes, from what is said by anet it is 3 zones. Supposedly they said it should contain more content than a normal zone because of height. From what we could see there are 3 height levels so let's assume 3 zones x 3 height levels = roughly 9 zones.

Where did you read 3 zones?

From what i know, there is

• 1 region (Maguuma Jungle)
    • 1 map: Verdant Brink, with 3 layers.
    If there were 9 zones though, that is actually more than a typical expansion offers, so i wouldn't say it's not worth $50.  However, it depends on what's inside those zones, and from what we know, there are only events inside HoT zones.  There could also be jumping puzzles too though.  Bottom line, we just don't know yet.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by vgamer

Where did you read 3 zones?

From what i know, there is

• 1 region (Maguuma Jungle)
    • 1 map: Verdant Brink, with 3 layers.
    If there were 9 zones though, that is actually more than a typical expansion offers, so i wouldn't say it's not worth $50.  However, it depends on what's inside those zones, and from what we know, there are only events inside HoT zones.  There could also be jumping puzzles too though.  Bottom line, we just don't know yet.

Regions have always had multiple zones. This one may well have three...most others have had more.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Dragon43591Dragon43591 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Hey guys, Just remember you're preordering something for a MMO( a game you cant play if you lose your account info, or get banned/suspended, something you cant play without internet connection.) But I guess people will be sheeple forever.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I honestly dont think ppl have a right to complain about the price now that you get an extra character slot if you've had the game before this year. character slots are like 10$ anyway aren't they? Anyway, I dont think they will (nor should they) revamp the pricing models/including things again, so really it comes down to you either want it or not.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    I honestly dont think ppl have a right to complain about the price now that you get an extra character slot if you've had the game before this year. character slots are like 10$ anyway aren't they? Anyway, I dont think they will (nor should they) revamp the pricing models/including things again, so really it comes down to you either want it or not.

I think it's far to early to come to such a conclusion. I won't judge the value of the expansion until I can see it for what it is. That would be post release.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Albatroes

sure they do..  expansions are supposed to wow the players.. get them really excited about it and not even care what it costs

it seems to be failing at that atm. people are looking at it and thinking "is that it?" well atleast i am. look at FFXIV's new expansion. you dont see that being met with the same reaction. i dont even play the game but if i did i probably wouldn't  hesitate to give them 50 bucks for their xpac.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

You pay for the game once. And still you complain. Why did you think they would have expansions when they only have the original purchase price of the game? Seriously. This is what you get when you have no new money flowing in to pay developers to build new games. Even so called f2p games have money coming in via the cash shops. It makes sense. 

I suggest you do some careful thinking about the nature of wanting things on the cheap and the results of that thought pattern. You get what you pay for. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Game studios have been cultivating this "Free" mentality for the last 5 years. Well there you go, now you have players who can't comprehend depreciation as a concept as it applies to 3 year old games and don't want to pay for anything.

Oh, and if you're going to go on about how "I've put in lots of money in that 3 years..." then you shouldn't have any problem with another $50 for an expansion.

If you say, "The amount of content is not worth $50!" Great, then don't buy it.