Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Movie and EA

2»

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Archlyte
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Bashing a game before you play it lol. We gamers are getting really hard to please. Im not a huge fan of EA and thats because they have rushed some projects when it was clear the team was not ready to release. Still if a team working under EA makes a good game. I will play it. A good game is still a good game. A good game thats also from a story line I love like Star Wars, well Im not gona let the kid in me get beat up by the 40 year old cynic that live inside of me and if after watching the new Star Wars movies I feel like more SW, I will play SWToR again till I am sick of it and then move on. LOL 

lol what are you talking about Nanfoodle, did someone bash BattleFront in the thread and I missed it? The last line of your post kind of puts it in perspective though: you don't care. Fair enough, I wish I was of that mindset, and I'm sure  EA/BIOWARE would approve as well. Here, this is the shit we shoveled, open wide cause it's all you're gonna get.

-Star Wars kid: OK :) I'll eat it til I'm sick of it.

Still sounds like a whole lot of whining and complaining with little substance. Kinda reminds me of those kids in Walmart. Yeah, you know the ones. We've all seen them. 

Q: So why aren't you going to play the game?

A: Because it's put out by EA

Q: Interesting. I'd be very interested to hear your stance on the EA situation. 

A: OMG! They're just so bad!!!! They ruin everything!!!!

Q: Can you explain yourself further? 

A: Ummmm, I said!!! BECAUSE THEY'RE BAD PEOPLE!!! TERRIBAD!! 

And there you have it! Expert inside information from the MMORPG forums. Back to you Tom! 

Yes, that's exactly what I said...

I don't want to re-litigate the massive list of shortcomings that as a whole make up SWTOR. I also went into detail about the stylistic problems that I perceive in the game. I did go overboard in my description, but I was focused on talking to Nanfoodle and so I failed to sanitize the post for consumption.  If your parenting/anti-rebellion instinct is that strong save it for actual kids, instead of applying it to dissent aimed at a game. You won't dissuade them or me with "shut up" though, no matter how you cloak it.  

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Bashing a game before you play it lol. We gamers are getting really hard to please. Im not a huge fan of EA and thats because they have rushed some projects when it was clear the team was not ready to release. Still if a team working under EA makes a good game. I will play it. A good game is still a good game. A good game thats also from a story line I love like Star Wars, well Im not gona let the kid in me get beat up by the 40 year old cynic that live inside of me and if after watching the new Star Wars movies I feel like more SW, I will play SWToR again till I am sick of it and then move on. LOL 

lol what are you talking about Nanfoodle, did someone bash BattleFront in the thread and I missed it? The last line of your post kind of puts it in perspective though: you don't care. Fair enough, I wish I was of that mindset, and I'm sure  EA/BIOWARE would approve as well. Here, this is the shit we shoveled, open wide cause it's all you're gonna get.

A companies reputation is something to take into account; a bad reputation should - rightly - put us on our guard. And EA's past reputation was earned. As Nanfoodle says they released games that were not ready. Other companies do as well e.g. Zenimax.

Bad company culture.

However there appears to have been real change. I suggest that you should check out the post-launch reviews of Battlefront. Be suspicious and make sure you look at post-launch stuff. It is DICE by the way not Bioware. 

As far as the changes I came across (via Gamesutra) an interview that Larry Prost gave to CNet. Obviously intended to put EA in a "better" light but a good article nonetheless. For example: Andrew Wilson (new CEO)  in Feb'14 got the top 146 execs into a basketball court kitted out with PCs, consoles phones etc. in Feb'14 and - shock - made them install, troubleshoot and play their games - and then listen in on customer service calls. Excellent! 

The launch of Titanfall was pushed back as a direct result apparently. The fact that the delay was OK'd instantly implying that in the past it would have been pushed out unfinished.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-electronic-arts-stopped-being-the-worst-company-in-america/

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Axehilt

With a new Star Wars movie coming out I'm sure that EA is expecting to experience a revenue dump from people who are Star Wars fans and also like PC games. They have the only MMORPG that is sort of in the IP, and I expect that the hand shakes have already been done to ensure that this is the only choice. I am a nearly life-long Star Wars fan, and I am going to make sure that I don't cave to the urge to play SWTOR again even though I'm sure my blood will be humming with Star Wars enthusiasm. I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. I'm talking about the people who love Star Wars and are not addressed by the only offering that is out there. I have decided that I am not even going to buy Battlefront because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes to the MMORPG license continuing in a very tangential and questionable form. They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, but instead have chosen to ride an established sub-par engine/architecture to make sure that easy money flows. It's an extension of the overall problem with the genre, and is really a consumer enabled situation. So in 2015 with a new and promising-looking SW film emerging, the MMORPG world is stuck with an albatross from 2012 that set a low bar, and prospered by essentially selling water to earthquake victims. 

Is "I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier" the new norm?  Why are people only interested in discussing topics in an echo chamber?  "If you don't agree with me, I'm not going to talk or listen to you because contrasting ideas force me to think." 

Clearly SWTOR was successful enough for an expansion, so that's what happened.  SWTOR also happens to be the correct direction for a MMORPG take on Star Wars to go (ie focused on the action and the story.)  It needed some improvements, but while it doesn't necessarily sound like they realized gameplay variety was a problem (nearly every enemy in the game plays exactly the same) at least it sounds like they're going to be improving upon their story and decisions aspect (which wasn't quite up to Bioware's typical quality bar.)

Personally I got bored from the lack of mob variety more than anything.  Did you really think that their engine/architecture was the limiting factor?  Why?

So given that the current direction is the right one, and MMORPGs are no longer growing as a genre, it would've been a bad decision on their part to release a new Star Wars MMORPG.

If you want new Star Wars, you'll play the new Star Wars games.  Like Battlefront (and I'm sure there will be at least 2 others.)

As mmorpg.com's lead contrarian, I can see why you can't agree with op's (or any op's) opinion.

I'm completely lost as to how ea thinks making a one time consumable story the focus of a virtual world mmo is a good idea. I enjoyed the imperial agent story and then tossed the game to the side, not to be touched until they add something other than story.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Still sounds like a whole lot of whining and complaining with little substance. Kinda reminds me of those kids in Walmart. Yeah, you know the ones. We've all seen them. 

Q: So why aren't you going to play the game?

A: Because it's put out by EA

Q: Interesting. I'd be very interested to hear your stance on the EA situation. 

A: OMG! They're just so bad!!!! They ruin everything!!!!

Q: Can you explain yourself further? 

A: Ummmm, I said!!! BECAUSE THEY'RE BAD PEOPLE!!! TERRIBAD!! 

And there you have it! Expert inside information from the MMORPG forums. Back to you Tom! 

Yes, that's exactly what I said...

I don't want to re-litigate the massive list of shortcomings that as a whole make up SWTOR. I also went into detail about the stylistic problems that I perceive in the game. I did go overboard in my description, but I was focused on talking to Nanfoodle and so I failed to sanitize the post for consumption.  If your parenting/anti-rebellion instinct is that strong save it for actual kids, instead of applying it to dissent aimed at a game. You won't dissuade them or me with "shut up" though, no matter how you cloak it.  

First of all, I'm not opposed to protesting corporate policies, etc. However, it's when it carries on past the point of reason when it becomes ridiculous to me. There HAVE been some legitimate issues with EA in the past, but they have also done, probably, more than anyone else to correct these issues, too. They've actually been extremely responsive to customer criticism, comparatively, when they really don't NEED to. You talk about water carriers, but it's like, "Pot, meet kettle.." because you've obviously got this hard-on for hating a company because it's just something people seem to be doing. People will latch onto anything that EA does and simply add it to their list of reasons to hate them, yet other companies, *cough* STEAM *cough*, will pull similar BS and by tomorrow all is forgotten. 

As far as SWTOR goes, you're entitled to your opinion. Some people play MMORPGs for PvE content or story, some play for PvP. Whatever the motivation, I can understand some of the shortcomings of the product at release. However, in the end, I play the game for the story content and SWTOR delivers some of the best, varied, story content in any MMORPG. The PvP side? Meh, yeah, I can understand the gripe. The engine issues aren't invalid, but I'd say that for the amount that they affect the story (what I'm concerned with) it doesn't really matter. Even in the case of PvP, they've done plenty of updates to address performance, etc. They know it's an issue and they look to fix what they can while also rolling out updates. I think back to space combat, in particular, when it was on rails and I think that was an update that not many companies would even consider pursuing. In the end, I think it's reasonable to say that SWTOR is one of the best offerings out there at the moment as far as polish goes. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

With a new Star Wars movie coming out I'm sure that EA is expecting to experience a revenue dump from people who are Star Wars fans and also like PC games. They have the only MMORPG that is sort of in the IP, and I expect that the hand shakes have already been done to ensure that this is the only choice. I am a nearly life-long Star Wars fan, and I am going to make sure that I don't cave to the urge to play SWTOR again even though I'm sure my blood will be humming with Star Wars enthusiasm.

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. I'm talking about the people who love Star Wars and are not addressed by the only offering that is out there. I have decided that I am not even going to buy Battlefront because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes to the MMORPG license continuing in a very tangential and questionable form.

They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, but instead have chosen to ride an established sub-par engine/architecture to make sure that easy money flows. It's an extension of the overall problem with the genre, and is really a consumer enabled situation.

So in 2015 with a new and promising-looking SW film emerging, the MMORPG world is stuck with an albatross from 2012 that set a low bar, and prospered by essentially selling water to earthquake victims.

We had this thread back in February of this year here, and it's only on page 3 of the forums, four months later. That's how little there is to talk about. Great E3, EA. I really enjoyed you showing a trailer with no gameplay or features, and then immediately marching out a soccer star to talk FIFA. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Impacthound

We had this thread back in February of this year here, and it's only on page 3 of the forums, four months later. That's how little there is to talk about. Great E3, EA. I really enjoyed you showing a trailer with no gameplay or features, and then immediately marching out a soccer star to talk FIFA. 

Well... there are a LOT more sports fans than there are MMO players.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

With a new Star Wars movie coming out I'm sure that EA is expecting to experience a revenue dump from people who are Star Wars fans and also like PC games. They have the only MMORPG that is sort of in the IP, and I expect that the hand shakes have already been done to ensure that this is the only choice. I am a nearly life-long Star Wars fan, and I am going to make sure that I don't cave to the urge to play SWTOR again even though I'm sure my blood will be humming with Star Wars enthusiasm.

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. I'm talking about the people who love Star Wars and are not addressed by the only offering that is out there. I have decided that I am not even going to buy Battlefront because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes to the MMORPG license continuing in a very tangential and questionable form.

They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, but instead have chosen to ride an established sub-par engine/architecture to make sure that easy money flows. It's an extension of the overall problem with the genre, and is really a consumer enabled situation.

So in 2015 with a new and promising-looking SW film emerging, the MMORPG world is stuck with an albatross from 2012 that set a low bar, and prospered by essentially selling water to earthquake victims.

They didn't have nearly enough time.  It's much quicker to get a movie made than a AAA MMO.  And the MMO would still have to wait until the script was written and the new books outlined.  It makes more sense to wait for the new trilogy to at least be written before creating a new MMO.

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

I gather that the OP dislikes the Old Republic era and would prefer a SWG-esque movies setting but frankly, given the iron grip of consistency Disney seems determined to have on the IP going forward, I'd bet heavily against a MMO set in the era of any of the trilogies. They'll treat future games as canon so I can't see any chance in heck them giving any company a relevant MMO license to dream up trials of Kenobi and such.

If another MMO happens it'll be a "TOR 2" type thing, well removed from the now unified canon.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Deskjet

I gather that the OP dislikes the Old Republic era and would prefer a SWG-esque movies setting but frankly, given the iron grip of consistency Disney seems determined to have on the IP going forward, I'd bet heavily against a MMO set in the era of any of the trilogies. They'll treat future games as canon so I can't see any chance in heck them giving any company a relevant MMO license to dream up trials of Kenobi and such.

If another MMO happens it'll be a "TOR 2" type thing, well removed from the now unified canon.

If they never renew the MMO rights then I agree. Otherwise, I think Disney will at some point order a new game and not set it in a tangential setting. The current game only works because it's the only game to play in the IP, and because they can fudge things to try and give the feel of the Star Wars universe. At some point that won't fulfill customers though, and they will want to actually experience authentic sights and sounds, not just the cheap off-brand look alike.

Your premise infers that since they went hard ass on the EU, they will do the same thing going forward with designs that they have to approve of and will have control over. That means they will have to decide that they don't want the money because someone may try to make a Han Solo swoop race track that they never wanted made?

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Deskjet

I hope they never make any mmo in the SW U anywhere near the movies. It's way too limiting story and content-wise. It's why I never played SWG. Saw the era and was turned off immediately.

As far as this thread goes. SWTOR is meh, the story is it's strongest pillar, it should bring life to the other pillars. it's a gamble. I think PvP is the most at risk with the Battlefront release.

As far as EA, yeah in the mmo space they have disappointed me several times, but they are not the whole picture, and I won't damn the studios they control as a result of EA's questionable practices.

On the topic of Battlefront....Not enough of  a Star Wars fan to play all games labeled SW. Never played the others. Looks like a shooter, I don't play shooters. I saw the trailer at E3 and was all...ZZzzzzz.....BORING!

There's a game out there for all of us. I am sure millions will adore Battlefront, I won't be one of them. I'll be dabbling in SWToR.