Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New expansion,... New expectations,... New game experience?

The way EA handles this expansion offers so much freedom, as they totally close the old game down for characters that start the new game... which gives so many new questions...

Will they use a new Game engine?

Will they have a totally new class system?

Will they have a new combat system?

Will there be new area's or will they just use the old area's and add new content and stories to it?

Will there also be PvP, since the old rivalry seems to have cooled down?

what will happen to my old assets and my starfighter?

Will there be new stuff like dynamic events in the open world?

Will stories still be mostly instanced?

Will there be an option (like dreamtravel) to go back to missions and stuff from your old life, the pre expansion life?

and many many more, we just got a hint, cant wayt to learn more about the future. Atleast it got me playing another storie and another class, just because in the old game the stories are fun..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I would put money (a small amount) on action combat.  
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The way EA handles this expansion offers so much freedom, as they totally close the old game down for characters that start the new game... which gives so many new questions...

Will there be new area's or will they just use the old area's and add new content and stories to it?

Will there be an option (like dreamtravel) to go back to missions and stuff from your old life, the pre expansion life?

and many many more, we just got a hint, cant wayt to learn more about the future. Atleast it got me playing another storie and another class, just because in the old game the stories are fun..

It will just be an expansion, not a magical expansion or a miracle expansion.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Please dont use the term "New Game Experience" its giving me bad memories when SOE released the NGE for Star Wars Galaxies which lead to the death of a really great MMO.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by waynejr2

It will just be an expansion, not a magical expansion or a miracle expansion.

LOL!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Please dont use the term "New Game Experience" its giving me bad memories when SOE released the NGE for Star Wars Galaxies which lead to the death of a really great MMO.

Nonono, Smedley promised it would be the rebirth of SWG where millions and millions of WoW players would jump ship to SOE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by akiira69

I sure hope its not a virus, that infects every major update for star wars games..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

I think they would sooner make a new Star Wars MMO and I dont think this expansion will really be any different than the last two, at least by any extent. 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I really hope for major changes and revamps, graphically and mechanic wise.

After a week of playing Wildstar, SWTOR felt so dated today doing a flashpoint and a few quests on Belsavis, like playing something from 2008 vs. 2015.

What I immediately missed: Wildstar´s double jump, dodging, dashing, energetic action combat, the super smooth engine and the awesome feel of the mounts, the open world that encourages REAL exploration.

PVP in WS: 40 vs 40 warplots (haven´t tried yet) but 15 vs 15 matches are massive and I got amazing framerates.

When I saw the static mobs and the growing grass in SWTOR on Belsavis, due to the ridiculously low effect view distance, I ALT-F4´ed

See you in October SWTOR when the game revamp launches, I´m on Nexus until then :)

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I'm doubting your bucket list will come close to realization but hey miracles can and do happen.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim
    I would put money (a small amount) on action combat.  

I can look past a lot of the subtle things i did not like but combat is the big area i need fixed to even think of coming back.Action/twitch whatever changes nothing,matter of fact, i feel it would make it worse.

Combat design is not just on the player side of things,you need the whole system to come together to make it challenging and fun.

You need to create more 1 on 1 encounters and give npc's more AI options and players more options and create  a action and reaction type combat.As is i found i just do my thing and basically ignore what the npc's are doing.

I have found a new way to easily sum up weather a system is good or not.A GOOD system is one that utilizing player skills and having lot's of choice on what to do in battle,allows players  to kill stuff they "normally" should not be able to.In SWTOR i felt completely handcuffed by the design,like there was no thought whatsoever,every player would kill the same stuff at the same level.

Also on bringing the whole combat system together,there was not enough choice on weapons and weapon damage types,NOTHING at all based on resistances,it was simply put a very poor design.This whole combat SYSTEM in it's entirety needs to be redone.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    that new combat thing got me worried.. i hope they dont try to copy the action combat crap everyone seems to be so in love  with nowadays.. it's been total crap in most games that have tried it. and usually felt even more monotonous than the good old tab target combat.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Will they use a new Game engine? No

Will they have a totally new class system? Unlikely

Will they have a new combat system? Unlikley

Will there be new area's or will they just use the old area's and add new content and stories to it? New areas mixed with old. 

Will there also be PvP, since the old rivalry seems to have cooled down? Always PvP. 

what will happen to my old assets and my starfighter? Nothing. 

Will there be new stuff like dynamic events in the open world? Not if it calls for a new system

Will stories still be mostly instanced? Yes

Will there be an option (like dreamtravel) to go back to missions and stuff from your old life, the pre expansion life? Yes i am sure it will 

So in short, unless EA states that something will change... It will stay the same. 

This have been a good conversation

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

i don't see any of those things happening.

Let's keep some perspective, here.  This is a FREE expansion to subscribers.  I wouldn't count on anything so big as an engine change or action combat coming, as much as I'd welcome either of them.

The most significant thing seems to be the streamlining of 1-50.  This probably means further speeding up of travel; just showing departure/arrival like the Hutt Xpac, for example.  Quest delivery/completion might be simplified, via port to instance or by holo.  The former being more likely, I think.  Terminal Missions might pop up in the field like Area missions. 

That sort of thing.

Also, it would be nice if they'd actually make the autoloot system actually be autoloot.  I kill the bad guy, and loot goes into my inventory.  THAT is autoloot.

For the love of GOD will they finally make the companions heal AT LEAST as fast as your character does out of combat???  This is probably why so many people just go with a healer companion.

Any or all of these things, I think, are fairly reasonable things that could be done for a free update.  Especially given that they're talking about speeding up the output of content in the future, which will probably require the development of new tools to streamline the content creation process.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

You know what, its possible.

They have developed their game for almost a decade now. What do they have to show for it since release? Not much actually.

Then, either they have serious problems developing content, or have been working on recreating swtor on a new engine and porting a lot of the old content back. 

That would explain a lot to me in regards to how a game that has been out for almost 4 years has very little to show for it.

I also hope if this is somehow a miracle off shoot of being true, that they put day/night cycles and some actual pazaak and swoop racing, which their old game engine can not handle supposedly to run racing mini games.

And their engine at the cooking stage pre relase was not developed with large scale pvp in mind, so it would be nice if that was also considered this time around.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

People reading waaaay too much into things.

It's still going to be the same game with the same mechanics and limitations. The biggest change will be a narrative one.

The statements, in which some people seem to see the potential for a redesign towards a more action combat, I as a hint that the new skill we'll get  will be instant not cast lol.

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

i would say it is more of a advertisement  bs rather than actual fundamental change...the game will remain same except for:

there will be changes to companion system..like now you can choose which companion you want..rather than forcefully accept 6 of them..which is very good change by the way.

some skill balance and changes..again a good thing

and they got rid of faction barrier and story telling is now one story for all basically rather than class and faction specific which make the life a lot easier for devs..and less costly obviously...there will be some small changes here and there base on your previous faction...but no more dividing maps between sith and republic...or separate list of voice actors for 2 factions..generally this is better and much less costlier for bioware.

the 2 faction or 3 faction thing is a wow clone stuff..which is slowly dying in my opinion due to low population of mmos...they want remove the barrier and let people play with each other particularly when people have problem finding group because  population is low,,,so wise changes in my opinion..and biowae going in the right direction.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

The game isn't going to change any systems drastically. There's no way they would do that at this point. What they can do is cater to the people who currently enjoy their game and try to branch out from there. Not redo everything, seeing as SWG tried that and failed incredibly hard. 

It will be a redone story. It won't be a redone game. It will have the same combat, the same engine (albeit maybe an upgraded version of it), the same feel and tone. It isn't going to magically turn into a Star Wars version of Tera, it isn't going to turn into a massive space exploration sim. It's just going to stay the same general game, with a bit more content.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Panther2103

The game isn't going to change any systems drastically. There's no way they would do that at this point. What they can do is cater to the people who currently enjoy their game and try to branch out from there. Not redo everything, seeing as SWG tried that and failed incredibly hard. 

It will be a redone story. It won't be a redone game. It will have the same combat, the same engine (albeit maybe an upgraded version of it), the same feel and tone. It isn't going to magically turn into a Star Wars version of Tera, it isn't going to turn into a massive space exploration sim. It's just going to stay the same general game, with a bit more content.

According to the article on Massively, the combat seems to be getting quite the overhaul. And Bill Murphy said the same in his preview after getting a sneak peak during E3.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/9796/E3-2015-Knights-of-the-Fallen-Empire-Preview.html

"Gameplay wise, BioWare promises lots more info to come on all the new class skills, but the main goal of the new powers is to increase the mobility and action of each class as they want the pace of combat to increase overall with KotFE.  Watching the Skytroopers fly around, come in through windows, and make combat more movement heavy gave a good impression that we’ll be doing a lot more moving during fights in the expansion."

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/22/e3-2015-swtors-upcoming-expansion-builds-on-the-legacy-of-kotor/

He emphasized that this expansion is about going from heroic story moment to heroic story moment and described the game as “cinematic action-packed RPG experiences thick with plot twists, surprises, betrayal, redemption, and hard choices.”

Although the Massively quote can be interpreted as all the action taking place in cutscenes. image

Still, it should be interesting to see when they finally show some gameplay. It'll either be a noticeable difference (to all but the most hardcore haters at least) or something that will make people go "Meh, that's it?"

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Panther2103

According to the article on Massively, the combat seems to be getting quite the overhaul. And Bill Murphy said the same in his preview after getting a sneak peak during E3.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/9796/E3-2015-Knights-of-the-Fallen-Empire-Preview.html

"Gameplay wise, BioWare promises lots more info to come on all the new class skills, but the main goal of the new powers is to increase the mobility and action of each class as they want the pace of combat to increase overall with KotFE.  Watching the Skytroopers fly around, come in through windows, and make combat more movement heavy gave a good impression that we’ll be doing a lot more moving during fights in the expansion."

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/22/e3-2015-swtors-upcoming-expansion-builds-on-the-legacy-of-kotor/

He emphasized that this expansion is about going from heroic story moment to heroic story moment and described the game as “cinematic action-packed RPG experiences thick with plot twists, surprises, betrayal, redemption, and hard choices.”

Although the Massively quote can be interpreted as all the action taking place in cutscenes. image

Still, it should be interesting to see when they finally show some gameplay. It'll either be a noticeable difference (to all but the most hardcore haters at least) or something that will make people go "Meh, that's it?"

I hope they adress the low AI of the mobs.... This alone would intensify any combat experiemce, and make mob placement in the world much less static... This would improve the game by miles..  

The point of my whole post is the fact that i get the feeling they are trying to recreate the entire combat and classes, last time someone tried that in a star wars game... It somewhat failed (epic) 

the game needs chnages for sure, but changing to much might be catastrophal..