Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Empire: Massively OP Article

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/22/e3-2015-swtors-upcoming-expansion-builds-on-the-legacy-of-kotor/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/23/e3-2015-bioware-dishes-more/

If found this on the official boards and figured it was worth sharing. They talk a lot about how closely they work with LucasArts, and how J.J. Abrams approved their work for the expansion. There's also some spoilers in it though, to provide examples of choices our characters will face.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Thank god Massively is back. I have missed them so.

Joined - July 2004

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20
    So no "phasing" but something that's in parts simmilar...
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I saw nothing but negatives from that article. Not being able to share in the story and leveling experience with other players in an MMO is unacceptable to me.

Luckily we have a poster on this forum that would absolutely love that.

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

Probably no way around that limitation with story focusing on an "outlander"... Can't imagine how they'd fit up to 4 in a coversation...

We'll have to play it and judge it to see if the qualitative jump in storytelling and cosnequence tech they implemented make up for the ditching of class stories and other drawbacks...

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

i would say it is more of a advertisement  bs rather than actual fundamental change...the game will remain same except for:

there will be changes to companion system..like now you can choose which companion you want..rather than forcefully accept 6 of them..which is very good change by the way.

some skill balance and changes..again a good thing

and they got rid of faction barrier and story telling is now one story for all basically rather than class and faction specific which make the life a lot easier for devs..and less costly obviously...there will be some small changes here and there base on your previous faction...but no more dividing maps between sith and republic...or separate list of voice actors for 2 factions..generally this is better and much less costlier for bioware.

the 2 faction or 3 faction thing is a wow clone stuff..which is slowly dying in my opinion due to low population of mmos...they want remove the barrier and let people play with each other particularly when people have problem finding group because  population is low,,,so wise changes in my opinion..and biowae going in the right direction.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Apparently, the new expansion story will (still) not be class based, and it will be entirely solo driven. Meaning friends can't take part in the story.

Absolutely and totally stupid.

They're trying to take a mess of an MMO and turn it into a half-assed singleplayer experience.

Make a PROPER KotOR 3 - using the Frostbite engine. That would be a good idea.

This is like the worst of both worlds.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by DKLond
    Apparently, the new expansion story will (still) not be class based, and it will be entirely solo driven. Meaning friends can't take part in the story.

Absolutely and totally stupid.

They're trying to take a mess of an MMO and turn it into a half-assed singleplayer experience.

Make a PROPER KotOR 3 - using the Frostbite engine. That would be a good idea.

This is like the worst of both worlds.

The decision was probably based on their metrics. The vast majority of their players goes through the stories solo, and teams up for FPs, Ops and other group events (like world bosses or to attack a faction outpost during the Conquests).

Add in that it's probably easier to focus on story if they don't have to figure out how the NPCs are supposed to react to characters with different backgrounds, and how the game is supposed to save the decisions for everyone, and it makes an easy choice for them. (Not to mention that the companion recruitment is probably tied into the storylines as well.)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

The decision was probably based on their metrics. The vast majority of their players goes through the stories solo, and teams up for FPs, Ops and other group events (like world bosses or to attack a faction outpost during the Conquests).

Add in that it's probably easier to focus on story if they don't have to figure out how the NPCs are supposed to react to characters with different backgrounds, and how the game is supposed to save the decisions for everyone, and it makes an easy choice for them. (Not to mention that the companion recruitment is probably tied into the storylines as well.)

We actually know that the decision was based on their metrics; ie FACTS.

http://www.swtornetwork.com/news/interview-with-bioware-stats-and-game-design-decisions/

Less than 10% of our player base seems to be primarily motivated to “get to the end”; the rest choosing to experience the story that exists. 

Anyone in a large corporate knows the existence of a  'Data Intelligence / analysis department' so I don't see why people are surprised that game companies are doing what any other normal business do.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Updated the OP with the second part of the interview.

A new planet, "Zakuul" is also mentioned in the article. The first of many apparently. And there was talk about revisiting old places. So I imagine we may very well find ourselves back on Hoth and Tatooine at some point. (along with other iconic locations)