Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making Amends?

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kefo
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Thing is it feels a bit like we aren't discussing a game or business but something else.

Merchant: Hey I have this nice item for a fair price.

Customer: Oh the price / value ratio seems fair - I will buy it.

Customer: I love this - I will support the company with additional purchases.

*3 years later*

Merchant: Hey I have a new item for the same price.

Customer: Hmm but from what I can tell  it has a lot less to offer than the previous deal - no, either lower the price or I will wait.

Crowd: You are so selfish, he offered you a really good deal last time so you are indebted to him and in no position to question the new item.

you're right! I should start bitching to daybreak about EQ because I dumped money on expansions up to and including GoD but now its all offered for free! I should be given my money back.

I should also be given back my money for all that sub time I paid for since the game is free! If I decide to buy the newest expansion then when the next expansion comes out and everyone else gets the previous expansion for free then I should also get my money back....with interest! and a hooker to give me my money! and to wipe my nose when I start bawling like a spoiled brat!

WHat does your response have to do with what was posted? Expecting a purchase to equal the value of money spent = want it for free, do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?

I'll break it down into categories:

Buy the expansion if

1. You honestly enjoy the game and would like to support ANet
    2. You played originally and the expansion looks cool so you will come back with this purchase
    3. You are someone who has never played the game before but it looks fun!
    Don't buy the expansion if

1. You don't like the game
    2. You feel ripped off because you already paid for the base game, sunk possibly hundreds of hours into the game and now feel like ANet owes you something.
    Honestly if I were ANet I would just tell everyone to suck it up and stop bitching. If they kept up with it then I would just start closing accounts with the explanation "Now you won't feel ripped off when you buy the expansion, you're welcome"
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

clearly a lot of people dont think the xpac is worth 50$

calling them names and yelling at them aren't going to suddenly get them to decide that 50$ is an alright price.

if you cant convince players that it is worth it then it obviously isn't  

yeah it's easy to go on saying that everyone just want everything for free but i doubt they'd even own the base game if that was true.

I don't think anyone in here, myself included, is trying to convince people that the expansion is worth their hard earned money I think we are just trying to tell them to shut the hell up. If you think its worth the money then buy it. If not then don't. Don't start threads about how up in arms you are about a luxury item.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Thing is it feels a bit like we aren't discussing a game or business but something else.

*3 years later*

Customer: Hmm but from what I can tell  it has a lot less to offer than the previous deal - no, either lower the price or I will wait.

Crowd: You are so selfish, he offered you a really good deal last time so you are indebted to him and in no position to question the new item.

you're right! I should start bitching to daybreak about EQ because I dumped money on expansions up to and including GoD but now its all offered for free! I should be given my money back.

I should also be given back my money for all that sub time I paid for since the game is free! If I decide to buy the newest expansion then when the next expansion comes out and everyone else gets the previous expansion for free then I should also get my money back....with interest! and a hooker to give me my money! and to wipe my nose when I start bawling like a spoiled brat!

WHat does your response have to do with what was posted? Expecting a purchase to equal the value of money spent = want it for free, do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?

Buy the expansion if

2. You played originally and the expansion looks cool so you will come back with this purchase

2. You feel ripped off because you already paid for the base game, sunk possibly hundreds of hours into the game and now feel like ANet owes you something.
    Honestly if I were ANet I would just tell everyone to suck it up and stop bitching. If they kept up with it then I would just start closing accounts with the explanation "Now you won't feel ripped off when you buy the expansion, you're welcome"

So in other-words, question nothing? .... That's all this comes off to me as, you're either a hater or blindly follow the game, there's no middle ground to be had. No question to be asked, it's worth it or not worth it... sight unseen.

Peopel wonder why I keep coming back to these threads, this is why, I find this kind of view astounding it just makes no logical sense.

Kefo" I'm here to tell people to shut-up..". WOW...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

calling them names and yelling at them aren't going to suddenly get them to decide that 50$ is an alright price.

yeah it's easy to go on saying that everyone just want everything for free but i doubt they'd even own the base game if that was true.

I don't think anyone in here, myself included, is trying to convince people that the expansion is worth their hard earned money I think we are just trying to tell them to shut the hell up. If you think its worth the money then buy it. If not then don't. Don't start threads about how up in arms you are about a luxury item.

forums are meant for discussions aren't they? to have one someone usually has to have an opinion about something

telling people to shut up is not really a good counter argument. 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

*3 years later*

Buy the expansion if

So in other-words, question nothing? .... That's all this comes off to me as, you're either a hater or blindly follow the game, there's no middle ground to be had. No question to be asked, it's worth it or not worth it... sight unseen.

Peopel wonder why I keep coming back to these threads, this is why, I find this kind of view astounding it just makes no logical sense.

It's a luxury item. Do you know what that means? Means you don't need to buy it. You won't starve to death if you don't own it, you won't die from the elements if you don't buy it.

If this were a thread about how food prices are rising and people are dying from hunger for no reason then sure your point would hold weight but this is a luxury item.

I will say it again if you don't like what they are selling then don't buy it. Here's part of a quote from earlier in the thread that sums up your last post nicely.

"What does your response have to do with what was posted?.....do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?"

forums are meant for discussions aren't they? to have one someone usually has to have an opinion about something

I'm all for discussion. If you want to talk about how you think that this expansions content is worth the money or not then by all means. I know nothing about the expansion except its title so it might not be a very lively one if you tried to engage me.

Someone coming to a forum to complain how they feel ripped off because they bought the original game years ago and aren't getting something for free because of that fact is not discussion.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

I'm all for discussion. If you want to talk about how you think that this expansions content is worth the money or not then by all means. I know nothing about the expansion except its title so it might not be a very lively one if you tried to engage me.

Someone coming to a forum to complain how they feel ripped off because they bought the original game years ago and aren't getting something for free because of that fact is not discussion.

me personally i'm not sure if i think it's worth it yet.. but probably not from what they've shown so far.

and from what i understand people are feeling ripped off for a number of reasons not that they want stuff for free.

mostly i guess the marketing department has done some shady stuff etc

let it play out and see where it goes or just ignore it if you have no interest in it. 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    ^Why...this thread?

Because the shitstorm is so big that Anet may reconsider?

Reconsider what? There are 3 packages: $50 for the xpac, $75 for characters slot and goodies, $100 for all that plus 4k gems.

Pick one. Or not.

Reconsider that new players pay 50 and get ~30 zones   -  old players pay 50 and get ~3 zones

I fail to see how this is different from any other MMO expansion. 

I can hop on the crazy train as well and argue new players should pay less since you got to experience those other 27 zones for a few years and they have to do it all at once. See how crazy that sounds?

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I begin to think the biggest issue is the naming. GW2 = $50. There is no such thing as an expansion, as you can not buy HoT individually. The only product they sell right now contains all the content. All zones, all classes, all items, you name it.

If they would sell a cheaper version that is only the new things, even if it still costs like $30, so you spent $80 in total, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

But this way, you have to buy the complete game twice. As some people took WoW as an example: Blizzard sells WoW and the latest expansion individually. The "base" game costs $10, the expansion $30. So you can buy only the base game, really cheap. Or you can upgrade, relatively cheap. Or you buy both, which interestingly isn't available as one product, but it's still cheaper.

FF IXV is similar, you can buy the base game, you can buy the expansion, or you can buy both. The expansion is $20 cheaper than buying both - the exact price of the base game.

Seeing how Amazon sells GW2 for $20, HoT should either be $30 or $50, and the bundle should be $50 or $70, depending on whether they really think HoT alone is worth $50 (hint: They priced in the base game. It's only a formallity whether $50 = $30 for HoT and $20 for the base game, or $50 for HoT and $0 for the base game).

As said initially, the difference to WoW or FF IXV is that you can only buy the full game, for the full price, there is no expansion.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

It's a luxury item. Do you know what that means? Means you don't need to buy it. You won't starve to death if you don't own it, you won't die from the elements if you don't buy it.

If this were a thread about how food prices are rising and people are dying from hunger for no reason then sure your point would hold weight but this is a luxury item.

I will say it again if you don't like what they are selling then don't buy it. Here's part of a quote from earlier in the thread that sums up your last post nicely.

"What does your response have to do with what was posted?.....do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?"

What you're showing is that you don't like the OP sharing his view on things, so I can't see how my last response isn't fair toward what you said. This is a forum for game discussion, worth of an expansion would be covered under that.

As for the rest of this response, it's telling of just how much you understand the concept of a Forum. IF someone was talking about food costs here and not in-game food costs, that discussion would be removed. I don't agree with the OP, doesn't change that he is entitled to share his thoughts like the rest of us, if you don't wanna read it, open another page and move on. telling people to "shut the hell up" isn't going to work so well.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Anireth

I begin to think the biggest issue is the naming. GW2 = $50. There is no such thing as an expansion, as you can not buy HoT individually. The only product they sell right now contains all the content. All zones, all classes, all items, you name it.

If they would sell a cheaper version that is only the new things, even if it still costs like $30, so you spent $80 in total, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

I believe this was the original plan seeing how they have been selling Gw2 with a large discount and the message that it will be needed for HoT for a long time.

Additionally there were posts of lawyers who said that this could get Anet in conflict with the law.

Now before people go all up in arms - I am not saying anyone should sue Anet.

I am saying if a company suddenly changes plans and this change could mean legal troubles for them then clearly the decision had been rushed.

Harbinger of Fools
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Reconsider that new players pay 50 and get ~30 zones   -  old players pay 50 and get ~3 zones

That's not what the petition is asking for.  It only asks for an extra character slot for free.

Your argument in this post ignores the fact that the vanilla game is old and needs to be either free or really cheap to attract new players.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

That's not what the petition is asking for.  It only asks for an extra character slot for free.

Your argument in this post ignores the fact that the vanilla game is old and needs to be either free or really cheap to attract new players.

It was on sale for 10$ and apparently a lot of people bought it for that price.

10$ equals 800 gems or 1 char slot therefore the petition is asking for this. Same value for every customer.

Harbinger of Fools
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Who are you to decide what people discuss or that is of value to them? Here is a clue.... You're not the one to decide such things. If you don't feel like participating is such then don't. No need to fill up the discussion with this nonsense.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Who are you to decide what people discuss or that is of value to them? Here is a clue.... You're not the one to decide such things. If you don't feel like participating is such then don't. No need to fill up the discussion with this nonsense.

Hypocritical a bit?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

What you're showing is that you don't like the OP sharing his view on things, so I can't see how my last response isn't fair toward what you said. This is a forum for game discussion, worth of an expansion would be covered under that.

As for the rest of this response, it's telling of just how much you understand the concept of a Forum. IF someone was talking about food costs here and not in-game food costs, that discussion would be removed. I don't agree with the OP, doesn't change that he is entitled to share his thoughts like the rest of us, if you don't wanna read it, open another page and move on. telling people to "shut the hell up" isn't going to work so well.

It's more to do with people complaining about everything. Perhaps this thread was the tipping point for me and my anger was misdirected. 

I will agree with you this is a game forum and game topics should be discussed but lately it has been more about complaining about how people aren't getting more for free or how they are entitled to more because they bought something x years ago.

perhaps I am starting to show my age and my wife is right that I will be a very grumpy old man lol

Hehe the hypocrisy is awesome

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    They are not getting any of my money until they fix the bugs that are already in the game. Until they do, I will continue to think that they have no idea what they are doing and buying the expansion will just add more bugs!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Many of you are misunderstanding the situation. 

You can no longer buy vanilla GW2 on their website. The only package that exists is $50 for HoT + core as a 'gift' to new players. You can't buy GW2 then later on buy HoT which is what many were lead to believe prior to pre-purchase.

So in reality we aren't paying for an expansion anymore. We are rebuying the full game at the same price as a new player (price is not an issue - its value) and while new players get a 'gift' of 5 char slots existing players do not have a cheaper 'upgrade' option.

Stop trying to make sense to them, they already made up their minds.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!

It's more to do with people complaining about everything. Perhaps this thread was the tipping point for me and my anger was misdirected. 

I will agree with you this is a game forum and game topics should be discussed but lately it has been more about complaining about how people aren't getting more for free or how they are entitled to more because they bought something x years ago.

perhaps I am starting to show my age and my wife is right that I will be a very grumpy old man lol

Fair enough. :) I think we all see statements that do that to us now and then.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Just vote with your wallet. All that needs to be done. We did it with SOE and the SWG debacle, CoV, and lots of other games; we can do it with this game. Plus it can't really be considered a dick move not buying into something you feel strongly about to make a point. I mean, you don't really have to spend any money in GW2, the white knight will keep the game running.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Idk I think the word entitlement is being used wrong. I mean is there such a thing when you are paying for a service?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    'In clinical psychology and psychiatry, an unrealistic, exaggerated, or rigidly held sense of entitlement may be considered a symptom of narcissistic personality disorder, seen in those who "Freud said because of early frustrations, they arrogate to themselves the right to demand lifelong reimbursement from fate.'

The cost of the expansion is too much, I demand it's cheaper. The cost of the game with the expansion is $2 a month, the average sub and box is $17.

Im outraged that a game has x bug after release, I expect no bugs. The reality is bugs happen and devs cannot fix everything at the same time.

I want levelling that interests me personally. Says the player who rushes through levelling to get to max level ASAP.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Hypocritical a bit?

No, not really. You on the other hand.......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401

They made amends: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Free char slot and refund if you bought it during the phase where ANet's FAQ was 'unclear'.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi