Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion: HoT overpriced for what you get?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by pingo

I sold some stuff in my bank yesterday and converted 143 gold to 800 gems and got my character slot for my Norn Revernant that way. 

I think it's weird how the vocal hostile toxic minority just brushes off these sort of points. Because they are coming at this like an agenda. 

What you say is reasonable, what they say is not. It's delusional pathetic. I'll rip a new on this expansion if I decide to buy it and I think the reviews sound justifiable, but I'll wait until I have it. 

For one, hostile and toxic are harsh words for people who simply criticize the price and the way the pre-purchase has been handled so far.

Second your point is: They don't need the usual pre-purchase bonus because they can buy it with ingame currency.

That's not a very valid point is it?

What has been handled wrong so far? Either you purchase it or don't. /shrug 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

$50 bucks is the price of the expansion

that will probably have more content than original gw2 (that was the case with gw1)

deal with it

whats gonna be next? gonna start a flame becouse you dont like the colour of the expansion box?

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I sold some stuff in my bank yesterday and converted 143 gold to 800 gems and got my character slot for my Norn Revernant that way. 

I think it's weird how the vocal hostile toxic minority just brushes off these sort of points. Because they are coming at this like an agenda. 

What you say is reasonable, what they say is not. It's delusional pathetic. I'll rip a new on this expansion if I decide to buy it and I think the reviews sound justifiable, but I'll wait until I have it. 

For one, hostile and toxic are harsh words for people who simply criticize the price and the way the pre-purchase has been handled so far.

Second your point is: They don't need the usual pre-purchase bonus because they can buy it with ingame currency.

I assume he's referring to the complete silence from ANet, other than the "we're looking into it" by Gaile Gray few days ago. It's pretty obvious really, I don't know how you did not get it./shrug

@saurus - I'll agree with you, as soon as I see 8 dungeons with 4 paths each :) Dealt with it

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Leon1e

I assume he's referring to the complete silence from ANet, other than the "we're looking into it" by Gaile Gray few days ago. It's pretty obvious really, I don't know how you did not get it./shrug

@saurus - I'll agree with you, as soon as I see 8 dungeons with 4 paths each :) Dealt with it

That and HoT itself - if Anet had told us what HoT really contains then none of this may have happened.

I'm too old to buy the cat in the bag.

Harbinger of Fools
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Leon1e
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I think you are reading into what pingo was saying too much.  It didn't have anything to do with purchasing the expansion with gems, just a slot. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I guess all of those who say that they find HoT to be expensive, they were smart enough and didnt bought the ESO imperial edition, right?

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Salute

I guess all of those who say that they find HoT to be expensive, they were smart enough and didnt bought the ESO imperial edition, right?

or bought 'archeage alpha' for 150 bucks lol.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I would pay $30 for it. I'll wait till it goes on sale if I am going to get it. Current price is BS for me, considering I've spent plenty of money on gems already.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Muke

Funny that Anet as a company that does not have a subscription, puts out a outstanding game, puts all extra gear and character expansions etc etc etc in a ingame cashshop for free -you can buy everything so easily by exchanging easily farmed gold, ppl are actually that dumb to buy gems with RL money?????-  asks for $50 for a full expansion. The first time they ask for money in 3 years since release.

Yet these complainers have no problem plunging hundreds / thousands of dollars in kickstarters (SC for example, when will it be released? --> noone knows) or buy preorder kits of games that are probably never going to be launched, at least not in the way they presented it (EQNext) and pay for subscription models and another same old 13-in-a-dozen raid release with every 2-3y a expansion which they run trough within a week. (WoW)

No problem with that. But a company that charges $50 once / 3 years? "Burn them!"

Fkin awesome self entitled popcorn whines.

They will argue that (Dystopia and the other one, Dekarau or something) that this is about "value" to try and divert the discussion away from these truths, because they know their arguments hold no actual water. They, and others may be succesful out of bullying Anet to give them something, but that would truly be the actual crime of all this if Anet falls for their depraved demands.

Lots of people have paid full price for products only to have them, the day after go free 2 play, (Hellgate London, APB, TERA, Team Fortress 2, and countless others) and it is understood that it is not your loss because others gain something. But these posters are so selfish and greedy that they will look at others instead of what they have - Instead of thinking about all the people who paid more money than they did,or all the people who can't afford games at all.

No. This ultimately about someone getting a better deal than them. I don't get it. If you get GW2 for 10 Bucks, that is an amazing deal in and of itself. Someone paid 40 dollars for GW2 before THAT deal went live. So is that person who paid 3 times as much entitled to hellfire and calling Anet for all sorts of crazy crap? No. 

This sub forum have become so annoyingly hostile since this broke out. It's so entitled in the grossest way possible. Nobody asked you to buy this expansion. 

Wow what are you going on about? I made no demand of A-net, I am not in agreement with the overall point of this thread, I've made no judgement at all on the expansions worth...  The only reason things get hostile is because of nonsense like this... You're so caught up on defending a company or product, you perceive everything as an attack on that product. Logic and reality be damned.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by reeereee
    I'm not saying you guys got screwed but it's one less race, two less classes, and by the looks of it much smaller zones than the FFXIV expansion.

Im not saying that youre getting robbed, but you pay MANDATORY sub and have CASH SOP AND PAY for exapnsion in FFXIV.

Looks smaller? Tell me, what verticality do FFXIV maps have?

You played GW2 for FREE for past 3 years and you paid 250+$ JUST to be able to play FFXIV. And it didnt even have more content than GW2. And now they want MORE money on top of that for some new content.

Now, THATS a robbery.

Anyone who complains that he has to pay 50$ after 3 years of playing, well, you dont deserve it, and frankly, noone cares that much.

So even if they charged 250$ for expansion it would be MORE WORTH it than robbery called FFXIV.

Look he wasnt trying to have a pissing contest with you about this, he was merely remarking that the cost of one expansion over the over one. Xpac for FF14 offers more content for cheaper. It was more a generalisation than a compairison between the two brands. You honestly don't need to get hyper defensive about it. 

1) I want to be able to answer your questions mind you as you have asked, not sure on the first one as to what you mean, unless you mean what kind of upward progression it has? If so, the answer is many, to achieve or reach gear there are a few paths to go down to achieve it. Heavensward actually offers a good few ways to be able to reach upward progression without the need to dungeon and raid grind, this is more a premise on the patch notes than experience, as I am only level 53 thus far. 

2) I play GW2 mainly for PvP to be honest, but FF14 does actually have more content than it, a lot of it is actually a lot more fun, or I should say I am more "invested" in the content of FF14. GW2 is a fun play, but I can easily just log on and off in my leisure without having missed much, there isn't much incentive for me to play or get invested in the games lore and characters. My personal opinion mind you, you'll have yours. 

Also, I wouldn't suggest compairing payment models, GW2 is Buy to play, but the content is sporadic, FF14 is Sub to play but its content is large and delivered in regular batches. You get what you paid for. 

But, I will concede that you are right, a lot of people moaning about the price of the xpac, but they forget that once owned they have that content for life, well the life of the game anyhow. So, pay a little more to be able to play forever. Its a simple thing really and they all need to calm down a bit. Its that's game payment model, they haven't dis-illusioned you with anything else, its the way GW has always been. 

Also, its not robbery, after my share of F2P games (My fav being TSW) I am happy to invest in advance with a sub if it means regular, high quality content. Which is what you get with FF14. What IS Robbery mind you is WoW, where you pay a sub, don't get any content for over a year. They practically used the sub money to finance the xpac WoD and sold it right back to you. That is what I call robbery. 

3) Stop attacking FF14, you look foolish. 2 different payment models. I get what you are saying but your way of thinking is skewed. 

[] GW2 completely free after purchase, however for large additions you buy when they are available

[] FF14 after purchase you pay in advance for new content, this model works for them because the content received is large and regular. If it wasn't the trust behind the sub would not be there and thus their payment model would fail (like ESO or Wildstar) but considering the game is doing well, you can rest assured to know that the players are happy with their purchase. 

Now personally I don't have a problem with the 50 buck xpac from GW2 its how it works and I understand the logic behind it. Would be nicer however if they invested more into the content side of things other than the "living story stuff" which is very short lived for such a long wait. Perhaps introduce quite largest content to the game for 20 bucks a quarter?

In either regards you are going to get a lot of people that are not going to like this model, mainly because its one large chuck of cash at one time, but as long as people see value in it, then it wont be a big deal. But like Op has said, the cost of the expansion is  fairly high to some people, but not a lot about it revealed. All I can say to those peeps is to wait, be patient, then see if its worth your purchase. Perhaps just stuck some money aside each week until release so if you do purchase it doesnt sting as much. 

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    And easier solution could have been to offer the expansion to those who own the game for $19.99 and still keep the package of $50.00 for those new players buying the game for first time, who would get the game and the expansion for $50.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    And easier solution could have been to offer the expansion to those who own the game for $19.99 and still keep the package of $50.00 for those new players buying the game for first time, who would get the game and the expansion for $50.

Why $19.99?

The minimum a triple A game expansion is going to ask is $35.

Clearly Anet believes it can sell GW2:HoT for $50.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Why $19.99?

That's not exactly true, as an example all of SWG's expansions were around 29.99. That was pretty common if memory serves, it's only recently that MMORPG studios started charging full game prices for expansions.Compared to expansions today IMO you got a lot more back then at a lower price.

Originally posted by Tsumoro

Look he wasnt trying to have a pissing contest with you about this, he was merely remarking that the cost of one expansion over the over one. Xpac for FF14 offers more content for cheaper. It was more a generalisation than a compairison between the two brands. You honestly don't need to get hyper defensive about it. 

1) I want to be able to answer your questions mind you as you have asked, not sure on the first one as to what you mean, unless you mean what kind of upward progression it has? If so, the answer is many, to achieve or reach gear there are a few paths to go down to achieve it. Heavensward actually offers a good few ways to be able to reach upward progression without the need to dungeon and raid grind, this is more a premise on the patch notes than experience, as I am only level 53 thus far. 

2) I play GW2 mainly for PvP to be honest, but FF14 does actually have more content than it, a lot of it is actually a lot more fun, or I should say I am more "invested" in the content of FF14. GW2 is a fun play, but I can easily just log on and off in my leisure without having missed much, there isn't much incentive for me to play or get invested in the games lore and characters. My personal opinion mind you, you'll have yours. 

Also, I wouldn't suggest compairing payment models, GW2 is Buy to play, but the content is sporadic, FF14 is Sub to play but its content is large and delivered in regular batches. You get what you paid for. 

But, I will concede that you are right, a lot of people moaning about the price of the xpac, but they forget that once owned they have that content for life, well the life of the game anyhow. So, pay a little more to be able to play forever. Its a simple thing really and they all need to calm down a bit. Its that's game payment model, they haven't dis-illusioned you with anything else, its the way GW has always been. 

Also, its not robbery, after my share of F2P games (My fav being TSW) I am happy to invest in advance with a sub if it means regular, high quality content. Which is what you get with FF14. What IS Robbery mind you is WoW, where you pay a sub, don't get any content for over a year. They practically used the sub money to finance the xpac WoD and sold it right back to you. That is what I call robbery. 

3) Stop attacking FF14, you look foolish. 2 different payment models. I get what you are saying but your way of thinking is skewed. 

[] GW2 completely free after purchase, however for large additions you buy when they are available

[] FF14 after purchase you pay in advance for new content, this model works for them because the content received is large and regular. If it wasn't the trust behind the sub would not be there and thus their payment model would fail (like ESO or Wildstar) but considering the game is doing well, you can rest assured to know that the players are happy with their purchase. 

Now personally I don't have a problem with the 50 buck xpac from GW2 its how it works and I understand the logic behind it. Would be nicer however if they invested more into the content side of things other than the "living story stuff" which is very short lived for such a long wait. Perhaps introduce quite largest content to the game for 20 bucks a quarter?

In either regards you are going to get a lot of people that are not going to like this model, mainly because its one large chuck of cash at one time, but as long as people see value in it, then it wont be a big deal. But like Op has said, the cost of the expansion is  fairly high to some people, but not a lot about it revealed. All I can say to those peeps is to wait, be patient, then see if its worth your purchase. Perhaps just stuck some money aside each week until release so if you do purchase it doesnt sting as much. 

Value is subjective.

There is a ton of games they would have to pay me to actually play them.

FF14 content for me has a value of $0. That is why I never bought it.

I don't get the remarks of Living Story being short lived for such a long wait. 2 weeks is a long wait?

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Distopia

Why $19.99?

That's not exactly true, as an example all of SWG's expansions were around 29.99. That was pretty common if memory serves, it's only recently that MMORPG studios started charging full game prices for expansions.Compared to expansions today IMO you got a lot more back then at a lower price.

And in 2004 a AAA game was $40, not $60.

It is not only MMORPGs studios but all studios.

First you have inflation.

That $30 in 2004 is today $37.

Second the cost of developing a game has increased.

Why $19.99?

Most games were actually $50 back then. Which they've always been, until really recently 60 was strictly 360 or Ps3 games, under the excuse it cost that extra bit to publish to said console. As I remember SWG's retail was 49.95 in 2003.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Why $19.99?

You mean long ago for a P2P game?

Listen, the main income for B2P games are box sales. Some people do buy gems for cosmetic stuff and character slots but that is a secondary income. Yeah, I rather have seen a $35 price tag as well for people owning the game, or at least a bonus character slot instead but I surely can understand why ANET need to keep the price tag up.

SWGs team were never even close in size to GW2s and the expansion will need to pay for those devs until the next expansion comes out. 

Besides, at least they wont NGE the game 9 days after the expansion comes out making your $30 totally useless. 

Why $19.99?

Most games were actually $50 back then. Which they've always been, until really recently 60 was strictly 360 or Ps3 games, under the excuse it cost that extra bit to publish to said console.

A $50 price tag in 2005 is $60 today.

The consoles extra price has always been the what is charged by Microsot, Sony and Nintendo to the developers to release games in their platform (the hardware is generally sold at a loss). Like supermarkets charge product manufacturers for shelf display.

A $50 price tag in 2005 is $60 today.

The consoles extra price has always been the what is charged by Microsot, Sony and Nintendo to the developers to release games in their platform (the hardware is generally sold at a loss). Like supermarkets charge product manufacturers for shelf display.

Game prices haven't really gone up all that much in years, there have been countless articles on this subject. I get your point so don't read me wrong, but inflation is something devs/studio reps have written a lot about.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It seems like a fair price to me. The OP will pay it after making a little noise.

As for the perks for newbie... well, the OP should be glad that they are working to bring new blood into the game tbh.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

For me, I'm not complaining about the price, I'm complaining about what you get for the price.

1. Anets model of b2p precludes the argument of "but you got three free years of play".  That is there model and I certainly paid money during that time to keep it going.

2. For "years of development" and "being silent for so long" according to mike obrien, it is really embarrassing what they are releasing.  One large zone with three biomes, one class, guild halls, and one new weapon per class, and mysteries, ie grind bars.

Don't make me hold my breath for "more".  They have officially released info on what this xpac is all about, don't expect more.

No new dungeons, no rework to encourage build diversity, no harder pve encounters to require coordination.

No, it's quite clear that five months ago Anet was getting pressure to change their LS model, and they made the decision to package the LS with a feature pack update and sell it as an expac.  Which I would be fine with if they had priced it as such.

Simply put this is not WoD, a rift expac, ff14, or any xpac from a triple A mmo, so I won't support it.  Just my evaluation.  Anet way behind the ball.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I said $19.99 because so far what I have read about HoT does not say a lot, if they would release more information about what HoT is all about then I could say 39.99 or 29.99 but so far what they have mentioned is not even worth 19.99

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206

Truth be told,and from what I've seen here,on Reddit,and the GW2 forums,

Anet is being nice,since there are people who would pay them 100$ for an

empty box and an open can of soda as bonus.

Gimmeee ma game...I wanna play  Guild Halls...how much??Doesn't matter.

Here,take my liver and a kidney.Are we good now?

All else are ENTITLED(Critical Hit) to their vital organs.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by observer

So now you're the judge of determining who is qualified to make an opinion?  Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?  Who are you to determine if someone is actively playing or not?  There isn't a conspiracy of players in this thread making up lies, because they are out to hurt your precious game.

My knowledge isn't sufficient at all.  All the features have already been announced.  I've played the beta when it was available, after getting two beta portals.  Any veteran who has played MMOs for over 10 years has sufficient knowledge of what to expect, without needing to know the intricate details such as story plots, or number crunching.  There is no miracle patch, nor is there a miracle update, or an expected miracle revelation.  All the major features have been revealed, and what you've seen is what you will get.

The irony though, is that you have already decided that this expansion is worth the price, while also claiming that everything hasn't been revealed.

I agree with the point in red

If you know so much from your years of mmo experience, did you know about Southsun Cove at release of GW2? Did you know about Dry Top, and Silverwaste? No. You fucking did not.  You talk like you know shit, but the only thing you know is what they told you. 

If everything has been announced, then what is the specialization for the elementalist?  You said you've got it all down, so "put up or shut up" so to speak.

The true irony though, is that you chose the name observer, yet you continue to be completely oblivious to the actual point I was making.  THAT is ironic.

I guess you missed this part:  "without needing to know the intricate details such as story plots, or number crunching."

I wasn't oblivious at all.  Your points are flawed, so i pointed them out.  If you don't like that, then direct your anger towards yourself.

As i said before, "The irony though, is that you have already decided that this expansion is worth the price, while also claiming that everything hasn't been revealed.".

The funny thing is, you put a value on a product blindly, while others are reserving judgement, or have decided that the product isn't worth the asking price.  The latter have determined that the major features that have been shown, is a good enough assessment, yet you would have them buy the expansion to experience the details first, otherwise, according to you, their judgement isn't a fair assessment.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?  Do you go on Amazon and buy the product first, or do you read the features/details/reviews?  According to your logic,  there's no reason to compare/contrast items, because all the products on Amazon are worth their asking price.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    This thread has devolved into bickering and back and forth flaming.  Locking it.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.