Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar is excellent, only 20 hours in - already hooked

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I got the standard edition including 30 days gametime with this incredible humble bundle deal FOR 1$ (1 DOLLAR FOR AN MMO) seriously this deal was the best ever.

First the over the top tutorial put me off a bit and I made the mistake to play the baddies (Dominion) , although afterwards the open world fun kicked in quickly doing the first quests on Nexus.

The music is incredible, graphics are highly imaginative, leveling up is most satisfying, cool abilities, combat engaging fast paced and fun. There is really good humor everywhere, even the way some of the critters die is hilarious. Quest stories and lore are fun and worth a read.

Also made a character with the Exile (the good guys) to check them out, the tutorial was also better on that side for my taste.

Absolutely love the "explorer path" (paths are a type of secondary class you can choose on character cation)  A lot of interesting things to explore, jump puzzles, scavenge hunts, beautiful vistas where you need to plant beacons and much more.

Many eastereggs, and pop culture references, found a rabbit hole and shrinking mushrooms and I discovered a tea party with the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. Mind -> blown.

I recommend checking it out, dunno if the humble bundle deal is still active but there is also a trial and the boxed version gives some extras, . I think it's awesome, can't wait to play it again on the weekend.

All sub MMOs have a hard time these days but I think when they switch to F2P by the end of the year this will really be super successful. It's a gem.

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yes the music is really good. I loved that about the game used to justs tand still listening to some parts. Enjoyed the humour and art style too.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I liked it the first 20 hours too. Good luck from here.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Viper482
    I liked it the first 20 hours too. Good luck from here.

its good to see someone enjoying the game to be fair, it needs a bit of love, but could still turn it around.  i hear a lot of anecdotal evdence that the 30's are a bugger and for some reason those levels got me too, think it was grey zone moving to white zone that done it :)  for the housing alone however i hope this game does turn it around, we need diversity in the genre.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Loved the game until i hit max level....
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    MO
    Originally posted by DMKano

I always thought that this game would be supper fun for some folks. I don't happen to be one of those but it's always nice to see when people find a game they enjoy.

Grats!

thanks, I have to say it fits very nicely as new part of my standard themepark MMO rotation of SWTOR and TSW

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I'm glad your enjoying but I would advise caution- I found the first 20 hours great as well, but once I hit 30+ the shine wore off and the constant attention whoring just drove me up the wall.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    MO

I always thought that this game would be supper fun for some folks. I don't happen to be one of those but it's always nice to see when people find a game they enjoy.

Grats!

thanks, I have to say it fits very nicely as new part of my standard themepark MMO rotation of SWTOR and TSW

Here you use themepark and standard. Then in the initial post you said "open world" :D

It is not open world which is sort of admited by you saying themepark and standard these days :D

I will have to go with the others here in saying its great for a while then this one gets old fast.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Glad to see you have fun. For me, out of the games i like and have in my playing rotation (WoW, ESO, WS & GW2) i found that i enjoy WS the most. Latest additions like the new Wardrobe system, Pets/Toys and the Contracts system have helped a lot to give a fresh air again. Game has changed a lot since launch and especially with the last 2 patches. Patch 6 according to Carbine, out of the F2P transition, will also have some exciting new features. Lets see :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

It really is a shame with Wildstar, its just a case of not knowing the audience.

They wanted to appeal to the 'hardcore' crowd with big raids, but then mistakenly thought that that crowd also wanted a constant movement combat system.

The more busy your combat is, the better suited your game is to smaller play periods.  Hardcore players arent the ones with the most skill, they are the ones who want to put the most time into the game.  (Often all this 'practice' leads to them developing the necessary skills for the game, so they do tend to be 'skilled')

Wildstar's combat turns out to be a chore, and it looks hideous with the colors everywhere.  

And its a shame, because they built an interesting world.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Looking forward to your comments on endgame.   I am not sure what your preferred playing style is, so I will be interested to hear.   If I remember correctly you are a Swtor fan, so this game should appeal to your themepark side, but how will you take to the dungeons and raiding?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by syriinx

It really is a shame with Wildstar, its just a case of not knowing the audience.

They wanted to appeal to the 'hardcore' crowd with big raids, but then mistakenly thought that that crowd also wanted a constant movement combat system.

The more busy your combat is, the better suited your game is to smaller play periods.  Hardcore players arent the ones with the most skill, they are the ones who want to put the most time into the game.  (Often all this 'practice' leads to them developing the necessary skills for the game, so they do tend to be 'skilled')

Wildstar's combat turns out to be a chore, and it looks hideous with the colors everywhere.  

The combat from GW2 and Wildstar not to far apart seem people like that type of combat, but didn't work out for wildstar it seem.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

The combat from GW2 and Wildstar not to far apart seem people like that type of combat, but didn't work out for wildstar it seem.

they are quite different actually.. gw2's combat i enjoy and wildstars combat is probably the worst thing i've ever experienced.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Yea I'm going to just have to disagree. Besides, even if they were the same, GW2 does a godo job at disguising the grind while WS is just a standard themepark quest hub grind.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Originally posted by wyldmagik
    MO

Grats!

Here you use themepark and standard. Then in the initial post you said "open world" :D

It is not open world which is sort of admited by you saying themepark and standard these days :D

I will have to go with the others here in saying its great for a while then this one gets old fast.

Open World just means that, open world. Since when is theme park not open world?

It´s not a 2-D sidescroller you know.. X-)) Games where I can go wherever I want are open world.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

they are quite different actually.. gw2's combat i enjoy and wildstars combat is probably the worst thing i've ever experienced.

Talking about how it works very close to each other. being fun just due to they put combat + the game in how it works, when wildstar more going on with harder gameplay.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    MO

Grats!

Open World just means that, open world. Since when is theme park not open world?

It´s not a 2-D sidescroller you know.. X-)) Games where I can go wherever I want are open world.

Lol, I think you just started a whole new discussion topic with that one!      image

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    MO

Grats!

An open world game is one that doesn't delineate zones based on level. The majority of places are perfectly acceptable for a low level character to travel and explorer - not without risks, of course, but it usually isn't suicide to explore places.

For example, if all the creatures are level 30-35 in a single zone, with everything in the zone essentially one-shotting anyone significantly beneath level 30, you've built a closed world that only opens up as the player gets more powerful - exploring such a zone at, say, level 20 will just be a corpse run every 20 feet. 

That's the majority of Theme Park games. 

Open Worlds are rarer, typically belonging to Sandbox designed games like Ultima Online, Darkfall and Pathfinder Online (off the top of my head) and the whole world is mostly accessible the second you make your character. You can explore what you like, only occasionally bumping into a small area that will contain enemies that'll just obliterate you. 

Originally posted by umcorian
    MO

Grats!

An open world game is one that doesn't delineate zones based on level. The majority of places are perfectly acceptable for a low level character to travel and explorer - not without risks, of course, but it usually isn't suicide to explore places.

that may be your personal definition, but I know the difference between a linear 2-D side scroller, a tunneled FPS like Cryis 3 or open world games that let you run around a map of any size freely and pick up tasks as you wish.

Level brackets have nothing to do with. There are level brackets in GTA too where areas unlock with your progress, yet it is open world.

Wow is open world

TSW is open world

Wildstar is open world

Open world does NOT imply sandbox. I know that the above mentioned games are theme parks that just means "lots of Pve" and instanced PvP.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

What they are far apart in is their target audience.  Wildstar wanted hardcore.  GW2 wanted casual.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So good so far but the real test for a MMO is after 3 weeks (just like with quitting smoking), most people either dislike the game from the first hour or tire after 3 weeks. If you pass that you should be golden.

Anyways, good luck. :)

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by umcorian
    MO

Grats!

that may be your personal definition, but I know the difference between a linear 2-D side scroller, a tunneled FPS like Cryis 3 or open world games that let you run around a map of any size freely and pick up tasks as you wish.

Level brackets have nothing to do with. There are level brackets in GTA too where areas unlock with your progress, yet it is open world.

Wow is open world

TSW is open world

Wildstar is open world

Open world does NOT imply sandbox. I know that the above mentioned games are theme parks that just means "lots of Pve" and instanced PvP.

Fair enough - I read a few articles on the nature of an open world. it seems I stand corrected. 

The success/appeal of an open world is more where my personal opinion comes into play. I don't find an open world all that appealing if areas are artificially closed off, or - in the case of being high level - areas that you have no incentive to check out. When an area is labeled 30-35, and basically does everything it can to stop a level 25 or lower from exploring and offers nothing for anyone 40+, it just doesn't feel open... it just feels like a waste of space after you hit the quest hubs at an appropriate level, then never come back. 

Seems like a perfectly good waste of an entire world to have all the action only concentrated in 1-2 high level areas. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I got the standard edition including 30 days gametime with this incredible humble bundle deal FOR 1$ (1 DOLLAR FOR AN MMO) seriously this deal was the best ever.

First the over the top tutorial put me off a bit and I made the mistake to play the baddies (Dominion) , although afterwards the open world fun kicked in quickly doing the first quests on Nexus.

The music is incredible, graphics are highly imaginative, leveling up is most satisfying, cool abilities, combat engaging fast paced and fun. There is really good humor everywhere, even the way some of the critters die is hilarious. Quest stories and lore are fun and worth a read.

Also made a character with the Exile (the good guys) to check them out, the tutorial was also better on that side for my taste.

Absolutely love the "explorer path" (paths are a type of secondary class you can choose on character cation)  A lot of interesting things to explore, jump puzzles, scavenge hunts, beautiful vistas where you need to plant beacons and much more.

Many eastereggs, and pop culture references, found a rabbit hole and shrinking mushrooms and I discovered a tea party with the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. Mind -> blown.

I recommend checking it out, dunno if the humble bundle deal is still active but there is also a trial and the boxed version gives some extras, . I think it's awesome, can't wait to play it again on the weekend.

All sub MMOs have a hard time these days but I think when they switch to F2P by the end of the year this will really be super successful. It's a gem.

I am eagerly awaiting your 3-month evaluation.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

WS is a cool game, but I agree with Muke above, wait for a few weeks and then check those hooks again image

This humble deal was great indeed (update to my earlier post, in the end I couldn't register for NA due region lock, so now I have an another Eu acc :) ), Warships beta, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango discount... nice stuff. So I can see where you got those hooks, I jumped back too, made a character on both sides. The lead-in part was well-done before too, but I think they even streamlined it a bit during the changes - can't say for sure, I wasn't in-game since the launch.

Dominion is not the bad guys, nor Exile the good ones... both are fun. What's wrong with the Dominion tutorial? I loved to put eviction notes onto the Exile hologram's doors - ok, maybe burning the tree sapling of the fluffy bunnies was a bit mean. Or not. [insert evil Chua laugh]

I admit it's fun to play around with a new character, and I can't wait to goof around with my house again when it will go f2p... but as I wrote earlier, I can't see myself playing it for longer periods. Maybe you'll have more luck or affinity, and you'll stay hooked to WS. If not, TSW and AoC will be there still, waiting for you image

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I just purchased it as well. I'm liking it so far but the combat is a bit of a put-off for me. The questing and world is fine but after playing ESO the character animations are difficult to get used to. LOL. Hopefully, I can get to 20 hours played.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I like alot about the game, but i've never had a game giving me so much trouble finding a class that clicks with me.

I can't really connect to all the tech- and nanostuff going on on my action bar and the abilities seem to be about the same/similar with many classes. After creating a character of every class, i checked all their abilities and no class had really something exciting going on or stuff worth looking for in the leveling process.

Guess i'm rather an old fashioned fantasy guy who prefers fireballs and frostspikes.