Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your opinion of TERA?

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by Aeroangel
    Yeah I plan to play the game casually and if I get to a grindy bit then I may stop playing or level an alt.

And in regards to the Elin or whatever the little girl race is I definitely wish that could be taken out personally, but I try to ignore it. I also stay out of global and I condem the pedos in area chat every time I see a scantily clad Elin ugh CRINGE. Hopefully this crap keeps those creeps on the computer and away from real life entirely.

I don't mind the Elin race at all, I am a big fan of manga and am pretty used to seeing that sort of thing. Its hard to explain to someone in the West perhaps, but I just don't associate the cutesy characters with sex/sexiness.

It was just the zone chat and some of the character names, many in the game seemed to have this fetish with "loli" and often were openly perverse. Anyway I don't want to go on about it too much, the game itself was great and I found plenty of awesome people to play with as well.

• RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Just recently got my gunner to 65. Also have a lvl 40 warrior.

PROS

Pretty much what everyone said. Beautiful world. Fun and engaging combat. BAMs! Some very well crafted dungeons( i believe there are even more good ones since i haven't tried them all.) One of the best class and race diversities out there.

CONS

Questing! Yeah, you should see that also everyone has mentioned that too by now, but you can't really grasp it until you've played a bit, at least till the higher lvls. It's a total grindfest! Asian mmos tend to be that way, i know, but this game takes it way too far.

Probably the worst and most toxic community i've seen in a mmo. Pretty elitist when it comes to dungeon running/gearing. Ppl get into dungeons,run like crazy shooting everything that moves and then go their ways without even saying a word. And then.....there's the chat. I don't think there are words to describe just how horrible the global chat is. I've read words such as "futa"or "incest" more times than i would ever imagined i'd seen in a game.

Many things in the game, especially from the cash shop, that are completely immersion breaking. It's supposed to be a fantasy setting yet you'll see lots of ppl running around wearing bikinis, swimsuits, nurse uniforms and sunglasses. There's a new patch coming to the Korean version that introduces Chevi Camaros as mounts, for crying out loud!

As for other aspects of the game: Crafting is nothing remarkable. Not bad and not good either. It's just....there. I can't really comment on endgame or pvp since i haven't tried those.

In conclusion if you're looking for a fun game that looks beautiful and plays beautiful to pass your time then TERA is a great choice. But if you're looking for something to invest time into then it might not be a good choice since the endless grinding and RNG gearing up will drive you crazy after a while. Unless, you know, you're into that sort of thing. In wich case good for you:)

Cheers

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I think TERA has wonderful combat......aaaaand the "wonderful" stops right there.

Horrendous questing, but TERA is far from the only offender there.  However, the troubles (IMHO) go way beyond that.  Atrocious community that demands top-tier gear without being willing to help you acquire it.....character being stuck in combat all the time, slowing you down....RNG enchanting system that rewards morons who are lucky while punishing good players who are simply unlucky.....people demanding that you be in top-tier gear just to do the few end-game activities  that exist.....man.  I'm sorry, but TERA is just a massive disappointment.  Remember: there are reasons this game did not survive as a sub-based MMO.  MANY reasons.

I have really tried to like this game 4 or 5 times, but every time I try it, within 24 hours it reminds me why I quit playing in the first place.  Lol.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Tera = great combat and nothing else.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Vutar
    At release the game was very boring. It has probably changed since then but since I am in Korea now I cannot play it.

It really hasn't.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it seems to be the goto place for perverts and the likes. 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

You would know, wouldn't you?

I don't see it but seek and you shall find, and like minds, and birds of a feather and all ...

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by damond5031
    I got to a point where to continue the main story quest I had to kill a boss monster, off I go to find said boss monster. I arrive at the spot where my quest indicator says I should be and lo and behold there is a group of about 15-20 other people standing around waiting for this monster to spawn. I am thinking "well if I can just hit the damn thing, I should get credit for killing it right?".  Nope the first person out of all those people to hit the monster is the only one to get credit. This wouldnt be such a big deal if you could just go off and do other activities, this story line (as far as I know) was the only way to get on to the next area of the game. I messed around for about half an hour trying to complete the quest as more and more people showed up; I even made a group to try and even the odds but still had trouble completing the quest. Coming face to face with something that utterly ridiculous in the beginning of the game (which should have been used to showcase how great the game was) completely turned me off. I was actually having fun up until that point, but the thought that the entire game could be filled with such foolishness killed it for me.

Same thing happened to me.  The only thing I could do was log in at an off time when few were on.  I also kept getting all kinds of problems logging into the main site.  Oh well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I absolutely love Tera. It's the only game where I ever really loved the combat and my lancer is the best class I've ever played.

Only huge fly in the ointment is that lag can seriously cause issues with combat. In truth I wish the pvp was more like Lineage 2 as far as the sieges.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Honest opinion....

Beta tested it and was having a lot of fun. Loved the world, loved the visuals, thought the combat was ok (not great, but ok), thought the questing was same old stuff, and thought the progression would only get better.

PC crash, total reinstall of the OS. Never went back because my ISP limits bandwidth and the connection was so slow.

Downloaded it after the reinstall (but, alas, after it went F2P...I think...maybe it always was), got into game and sorta lost interest.

Probably all my fault, but when I tried again, it just felt empty and nothing pulled me back in.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

The game has it's qualities ...but overall...

It's just BAD

Good +

Combat

BAD -

All the other things :(

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by thark

It's just BAD

Good +

Combat

BAD -

Good = Combat?

It locks you in place when you attack. That's not action combat.....I don't get why people like this

• IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Combat is good everything else is... *crickets*
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Kinchyle
    Originally posted by thark

It's just BAD

Good +

Combat

BAD -

Good = Combat?

It locks you in place when you attack. That's not action combat.....I don't get why people like this

That's because the combat actually has some weight to it as opposed to gw2 where it's like you're skating on ice while launching all kinds of attacks.

This is of course a matter of preference but I think the TERA model has more crunch (and depth) to it than the gw2 version of action combat.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    I think the world and the models  /  art are fantastic.  It's a decent game if you are looking for a theme-park type.  I can never seem to play for long though, gets boring I guess?  I jump back in every year, play for a few weeks then one day I forget to load it up and quickly forget about it.  It's really a fantastic game but just not for me.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I'm trying to think of anything I liked about it, but can't really. I suppose at first I thought the graphics were good, but I hate the artwork style, the sexist portrayal of women, the little girls in bikinis, etc. The questing is some of the worst out there (perhaps ArcheAge is worse). Gender locked classes are ridiculous. Community is horrid. I guess it's a pretty offensive game to me.
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

@OP, just cause i was dragged in this game to play a healer, and i see you rolled a priest too:

Many people claim that this game is great for healers and healing is so much fun and blah blah, YET THE SAME PEOPLE ARE WAITING IN THE QUEUE FOR HOURS TO FIND A HEALER...

Draw your own conclusions.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    TERA is fun until you realize the mobs are stupid, projeciles track, the story was horribly translated, it's an unoptimized mess, the quests are mind numbingly repetative, and there are bugs and glitches that have existed since beta.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I personally love the game, the combat, art style, music, humour, PvP, the huge world, it's my main MMO but this is the type of MMO I'm attracted to I cannot really explain it but "asian grinders" float my boat more than other types of MMO's. I just like the overall content and style of MMO's from Korea and China rather than Western MMO's that have gone down the story driven route (that's route as in moot not as in tout image). My other favourite  MMO was Lineage 2 and Tera is basically from the team who were making Lineage 3 (they lost a court case over stolen Ncsoft assets) and Tera reminds me of L2 a lot in its atmosphere though it lacks those awesome PVP sieges that were in L2 though maybe in the future we'll get to seige the Sky Castles image.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    It's a fine playable game. I like anime so I think it has some nice aesthetics. I like the combat, but I prefer non-rooted combat systems!
  • NinnghizhiddaNinnghizhidda Member UncommonPosts: 12

I have been playing Tera since pre-launch (in EU), through all its phases, both subscription based and "F2P", and through all its patches and updates. In a few words: it is the very best MMO I have ever tried and this is why I am still there.

Granted it might have a few issues, but show me that one MMO that doesn't have. In fact Tera has actually improved, and I guess this is reflected in its success. Although admittedly GameForge in EU have a reputation of being donkeys and this is mostly justified, even in our "gimped" EU servers the game provides a fine experience, it still does.

I could certainly compare Tera to other much more hyped games with much larger budgets and teams behind them, which have been terrible disappointments, and I can say that, yes, "little Tera" is actually doing fine. It certainly does much better than say ESO, which has been the greatest let down I have had in many years, being a fan of the series for decades and having very high expectations and been through all the hype, and been there in its Betas and pre-ordered and played a lot, and well, tried, really tried, but in the end, it is just mediocre. With Tera though I never felt it is mediocre, even at its worst moments, it was the game I could login every day and have something to do and have a good time.

I do read lots of arguments about the "grindy" nature, and yes, it is true, as it is with most MMOs, especially Asian ones (but not only). I agree that the recent introduction of +15 top-tier gear is probably taking things a bit too far and opens the window to a "P2W" situation. The truth is though, you can do fine without +15 gear, people have been doing well and having great fun for years without necessarily the very best "ultra uber" piece of gear. To me, it is just a mental thing. Probably is with just any game, much more so MMOs that include other people and "competition".

Tera has its weak points, sure, I can not say the story line is the greatest ever conceived, neither that the quests are anything unique or ground breaking. Even so, I can still find leveling a new character fun, yes, been doing so lately with my new "gunnerette", even if I have my hardened old "mains" of more than 3 years.

As I said, there are a few issues here and there, things that would need improvement and certainly some updating, yes, it is possible to even meet some unpleasant folks around and read some meh comments on global and such, but this is what you can get in a F2P game (and in fact in sub based games too).

Adding all the pros and cons together, Tera is one great gaming experience, is currently doing well, is getting several and fairly frequent updates, and looks like it has a strong present and good future. It is my MMO of choice and  this is my honest opinion of what is worth after many years in gaming, both solo and MMO.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Another example that an MMO can not rely on combat alone.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by grimal
    Another example that an MMO can not rely on combat alone.

Tera is one of the most popular MMO's being played today, so your point is?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

My opinion,

I like the female character models.

I dont like the animations, Its missing a lot of movement animations to connect one animation to the next seamlessly to make realistic movements (a number of other mmos do that, including B&S, and even Vindictus)

I dont like the combat. My character can only use one weapon and its heavily locked behind long animation locks. At the same time, if i want to dodge im limited to a slayer and warrior with cooldowns, or a back jump as a mage and archer, again with cooldown. I never found that combat to be true action as other people claim.

I find the storyline bland, and the boring questing feels more grindy than other asian mmos.

Due to those bad experiences i could not get past lvl 30-35.

Good looking character models is not enough to make me endure that game anymore. To people who like it, Have Fun.